Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

DiRT 3

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 24, 2011

Dirt 3 is the latest installment in Codemasters' long-running Colin McRae Rally franchise. The game returns to the series' rally roots with dynamic weather, a career focusing on team-based racing, as well as introducing the freestyle event: Gymkhana.

I Really Want To Buy Some DC Shoes Now...

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Yanngc33

... or not. I love this game to death but the advertising is horrendous. Now, I know car games are known for having a lot of advertising and I really don't mind it when the advertising is on the car, it makes the game look more realistic. I don't even mind using a fake T-Mobil cellphone as a menu but Dirt 3 just has too much of it.  

DC is EVERYWHERE. It has god damned events named after it. And most of those events I suck at (I just want to rally) which makes me really angry at the shoes. The Gymkhana arena is DC, there are 3 DC events in every season, even the menu has been bought, asking you if you want to restart the DC Challenge. It's driving (LOL) me mad. It's not even funny like the Youtube advertising where the guy at the end of the race tells you that what you did was "sick" and that you should "totally post it on Youtube" despite the fact that you came in last. 

What do you guys think of Dirt 3's advertising?  

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH 
    RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH 
    ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By ShaneDev

Haven't played Dirt 3 but Dirt 2 also had lots of DC shoe advertisements. I didn't mind it there but from what your describing it seems they really ramped it up. I actually own two pairs of DC shoes and like them.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Yanngc33
    @ShaneDev: looks like the guys at codemasters really like their DC shoes :p
    BlackHeronBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By BlackHeronBlue

yeah  I also wanna get some DCs. The only problem is the shoes themselves are not really that good. Gotta admit though, the advertising worked.

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ShaneDev
    @Yanngc33: I suppose if the sponsorship means they make more money then there is more chance they get to make another game. Besides sporting events are always plastered in advertising at least DC shoes aren't that bad.
    Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Yanngc33
    @OracleXIII: Not for me, the fact that I suck at the DC challenges has directly altered my perception of the product. I hate those shoes now 
    buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By buft
    @Yanngc33 said:
    @OracleXIII: Not for me, the fact that I suck at the DC challenges has directly altered my perception of the product. I hate those shoes now 
    lol Advertising gone wrong
    Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Yanngc33
    @buft said:
    @Yanngc33 said:
    Exactly, they should've just done something like: "you put the DC logo on your car, here's an Achievement!" there I would've liked DC Shoes 
    SeventySix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By SeventySix

Ken Block is the co-founder of DC. Almost certainly why there is so much DC advertising in the game.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By valrog
    @shadowsdreaming said:
    Ken Block is the co-founder of DC. Almost certainly why there is so much DC advertising in the game.
    My thoughts exactly. Ken Block, DC, Gymkhana... It all goes together.
    Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Yanngc33
    @valrog said:
    @shadowsdreaming said:
    So Dirt 3 should just be renamed "Ken Block: the Game" then
    xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By xMP44x

I don't mind advertising in my games unless it's advertising of the 'rammed down your throat' variety. Sounds like DC's advertising in Dirt 3 will be just that, then. Dirt 2's demo was even jammed with advertising so I'm hardly surprised to hear there is more. I tend to overlook advertising though, because unfortunately, there isn't an AdBlock for games. :(

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Devil240Z
    @valrog said:
    @shadowsdreaming said:
    That and im pretty sure he has some stake in monster energy as well. 
    Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Aus_azn
    @Yanngc33 said:
    @valrog said:
    @shadowsdreaming said:
    So Dirt 3 should just be renamed "Ken Block: the Game" then
    Except for the rallying. Which he kinda sucks at...
    Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By Kyle

Doesn't bother me at all. I think you're overreacting. It's a sports game. Ads are everywhere in sports games. Putting the DC logo on a bunch of stuff is not even close to some of the most obnoxious in-game ads I've seen.

beatnik11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By beatnik11

Ya, it can be pretty bad but it actually seems much more toned down from what it was in Dirt 2.  I dont mind advertisements in sports games, in fact it adds to the experience (because real sports have ads) its just when they become so obnoxious that it seems to get in the way that annoys me

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#17  Edited By 234r2we232
    @Yanngc33 said:
    @buft said:
    @Yanngc33 said:
    Exactly, they should've just done something like: "you put the DC logo on your car, here's an Achievement!" there I would've liked DC Shoes 
    I'm sure every EA game has an achievement like that!
    Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Karl_Boss

I think DC Shoes look pretty crappy to be honest.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By bacongames

I'd hate Dirt's fixation with DC much less if they were a brand of shoes I didn't hate.  If they were Puma sponsored instead I'd fucking love it.  But yeah the fatal flaw is it obnoxiously throws down one brand down your throat and it's not particularly related to rally all that well anyway.  Dunlop?  Firestone?  Sure those make sense.  DC shoes?  Fuck off.

Liber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Liber

Rally and racing in general has a lot of those stuff like a million stickers of sponsors on cars , sponsored event and all kinds of shit.
    and yea Dirt 3 is a rally game after all so why wouldn't they stay close to the source material ?

RedRoach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By RedRoach

DC and Monster Energy have HUGE roles in American Motorsports. Wether it be Supercross or American rally. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a real life "DC Invitational" in fact I'd bet there is ((I don't follow the sport enough to know) I do know, however, that in Supercross the factory Kawasaki team is named "Monster Energy Kawaskai". These 2 companies back the best in these sports, I know that DC sponsors Travis Pastrana, and Monster sponsors Ryan Villipoto.  

I guess my point is this: It's very understandable that DC has such a huge presence in the game, because they are a huge part of American Rally racing, and hell the poster boy Ken Block is the founder.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#22  Edited By Vinny_Says

Here is the American market for Rally racing: small

Here is the American market for a rally racing game: Even smaller

I'm surprised there isn't more advertising in this game.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MikkaQ

I wouldn't mind the ads if they were for nice designer shoes but bleh, i was done with DCs after junior high.

BulletMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BulletMaster

I too find no problem with the advertising, it only makes sense in a game that glorifies the rally scene beyond what it actually is. I actually thank Ken, the Dirt series, DC, and Monster helping my favorite motor-sport  become increasingly more popular. Rally is too cool to be left unknown.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.