Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dishonored 2

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Nov 11, 2016

Set fifteen years after the end of the first game, Dishonored 2 allows players to continue the story as either original protagonist Corvo Attano or his daughter and apprentice, the now-deposed Empress Emily Kaldwin.

Corvo or Emily?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

Poll Corvo or Emily? (373 votes)

Corvo Attano 20%
    Emily Kaldwin 56%
    Undecided 23%

If you're planning on doing multiple runs of the game, who do you plan on playing as first?

• 
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I'll definitely try out Emily first, then do Corvo on a second run.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By doctordonkey

Gotta have that Blink, dood.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Hayt

I was so ready to play Emily until I found out that Corvo is being voiced by GarrettStephen Russell.

I assume both of their skill sets can be tailored for pure stealth runs? I've deliberately not watched any coverage so I don't really know what function Emily's "Darkness" tentacle things have.

@doctordonkey Does Emily not get a blink?

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Ezekiel

I don't want to play as either. Corvo had his story and Emily doesn't make sense as a protagonist. I'll repeat what I said elsewhere.

Considering you can let Emily die, the sequel shouldn't have had her as a main. Besides, a princess becoming a badass assassin to claim her thrown is dumb.

Realistically, she'd have underground rebels fighting for her, forbidding her from getting herself in danger, since she is vitally important to their cause. Like in Hidden Fortress. If no one will fight for her, why the hell is she trying to reclaim her throne? She should be learning about politics and her royal duties, not killing people in the streets. Assassinating would make it much harder for her to be supported by her people. Prowling and murder is looked down on. There's no way the rebels, if there are any who support her, would risk this identity getting out. There's no need for her to get her hands literally dirty.

God, when are video game stories gonna stop being terrible?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

@hayt: She can use her tentacles to reach platforms, similar to Blink.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@beachthunder: Hmm. I can't remember if you could be seen while blinking (eg. if you blinked passed an open doorway that had an NPC looking out of it) I wonder if the tentacles are the same or if you can be seen moving between points.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ivdamke

@hayt: @beachthunder: I think the difference is she's moving forward but still in physical form where Corvos is essentially a teleport. Hers also seems to have an arc to the movement as if it was some sort've pounce move.

I accidentally voted for Corvo but I was meant to vote Emily first, because she's new so why not? I'll definitely replay it with Corvo though.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hayt: Her shadow tendril thing is basically a grappling hook. It doesn't necessarily have to catch onto a platform. It can be a wall and she can fling herself around the world that day. Can also be used to grab enemies, items, etc.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to play as Corvo first, just to experience the game as the original protagonist, then Emily.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By BoOzak

@ezekiel: I do think the game would be more interesting if it had entirely new characters, they could keep The Outsider to somehow link the stories together but having a cast that already had their lives laid out at the end of the first game makes this game seem kind of boring, story wise. But to be honest I didnt think the first game had a great story either.

And when I get around to playing i'll probably go with Emily. I played Corvo as a pacifist so I want a completly different playstyle and weird darkness powers seems like a cool change of pace. It kind of invalidates my ending to the first game but the DLC did that already so I cant say I care at this point.

DinosaurCanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#11  Edited By DinosaurCanada

Emily because I'm making a baseless assumption that's canon. Plus Corvo had a hard life

poobumbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@ezekiel: Well, it's not really the first time a game has A) confirmed a particular plot thread out of many as canon and B) had you play as a character simply because "wouldn't that be awesome?!"

I mean, you could just say you want a new game and/or new cast of characters. That would solve most of your problems, and I wouldn't even argue. All this reasoning seems very roundabout. For example: yeah, murder probably is looked down upon, that's why too much of it led to the bad ending in Dishonored. Luckily, in that game and this one, you don't ever have to commit a single murder if you work hard enough, like an aspiring Empress should probably be willing to do. Solved.

Anyway, as for me, I'll probably go Emily first for something new. That way, if and when I go back for seconds with Corvo, it will still feel warm and familiar yet new at the same time.

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Probably both in the scheme of things but Emily first for variety's sake.

Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

Planning to play through as both, but I think it makes more sense to start as Corvo. It'll be a balanced blend of old and new (familiar character/powers in a new game). Then Emily afterwards will again be another good blend of old and new (now-familiar game with new character/powers). I think playing Emily first would front-load all the new stuff in the first playthrough, leaving the second comparatively underwhelming and feeling kind of like a step backwards.

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Emily. Gotta try those sweet new powers.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I was thinking Emily at first but from what I've seen of her powers I think I'd prefer Corvo, for old times sake and all.

Then again that Domino power looks mighty tempting.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely gotta play as Emily for at least the first play through as I want to see how playing as her will set herself apart from Corvo who I've already played as in the first Dishonored.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezekiel: Well, it's not really the first time a game has A) confirmed a particular plot thread out of many as canon and B) had you play as a character simply because "wouldn't that be awesome?!"

I mean, you could just say you want a new game and/or new cast of characters. That would solve most of your problems, and I wouldn't even argue. All this reasoning seems very roundabout. For example: yeah, murder probably is looked down upon, that's why too much of it led to the bad ending in Dishonored. Luckily, in that game and this one, you don't ever have to commit a single murder if you work hard enough, like an aspiring Empress should probably be willing to do. Solved.

I don't wanna feel like I have to play the game as a pacifist, missing out on all the lethal abilities. You shouldn't go into deadly danger if you're not willing to take the steps to survive. Pacifism in games is illogical. It should be there as a challenge. Killing shouldn't be discouraged and punished. It's survival! An original character would have been better.

Strathy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

My nostalgia for Stephen Russell's voice work on Theif asside, I'm still going with Corvo for my first run. I always prefer to play a more faceless (sorry) protagonist in FPS games, as it feels dissonant to have someone speak for me when I'm interfacing from the first person perspective. I'll absolutely play through again with Emily second time around though.

nicolenomicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

Emily is my gal and I love her and her clothes so much

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not going to play this but if I did I would choose Corvo, because that's a cool name.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I finished Dishonored last month (PS4 edition) and I plan to continue the adventure with Corvo. Maybe a second playthrough with Emily, but I rarely do second playthroughs...

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

My dilemma is slightly more complicated:

It's what character do I want to use for what type of play through lethal vs. nonlethal and which one to do fist. Still have no idea :(

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Emily, easily. She seems like a more interesting character with cooler powers.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezekiel: You should probably spoiler tag that, as someone who hasn't beaten the first game i don't see why spoiling it is needed in this non spoilery thread.

also I believe the whole premise of who you chose in this game relies on the other character dying, so it's pretty much the same thing.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Emily for sure

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

100% Emily. I will always play as a girl when given a choice.

InstantRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm leaning towards Corvo as a sort of continuation of his journey from 1 but tempted to do my 1st run as Emily for the new powers. Either way, I'll be doing multiple playthroughs of this game so I'll get plenty of time with both characters.

aktivity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going with Emily. As others mentioned already, Corvo's story was told and neatly finished in the first game. This feels way more like Emily's adventure.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

I'm probably going with Emily first. Although her powers feel like they might be better suited to lethality (what with all the weird tentacle murder she seems to have at her disposal) and my first run will probably be all non-lethal, so we'll see. Maybe I'll end up doing multiple playthroughs with each if I like the game enough!

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Corvo. Emily just seems lame.

Nev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Emily. I'll always play a female char if given the choice, and she was a cool gal in the first game.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Emily because I assume Corvo's powers are more or less the same from the first game.

grapesoda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

a whole new set of powers is tempting but after seeing how weak Emily's tentacle pull thing looked in the video where Jason was playing I think I'll stick to the proper blink. Also my first playthrough will probably be non-lethal and what I've seen of Emily's powers seem like they'd be better for a murder filled run.

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Corvo could have been nameless dude #1 as far as I'm concerned

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

@ivdamke: Because I'd like to at least have some chance of winning

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Corvo. I like to start with the most familiar playstyle/character first for these sorts of decisions.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Corvo was about a guard trying to save his queen, so it made sense to follow his story. This seems like it's more about a queen trying to take back her throne, so I've gotta go with Emily.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll probably go with Emily because of the different power set.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Emily first, because like mentioned, new set of powers. Hopefully the game is real fun, because just a different set of abilities to use through a campaign that's basically the same on both characters might not otherwise be enough for me to bother with the game again once finishing it.

Anonymgeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Definitely Emily for me. Corvo's story felt wrapped up after the first game, and frankly I don't like the idea of him being talkative.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.