Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dishonored

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Oct 09, 2012

After the Empress is killed, her most loyal bodyguard, Corvo, becomes the prime suspect, and must track down those who murdered his charge and betrayed him in order to enact his bloody revenge.

QL and review predictions

• 67 results
    pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By pyrodactyl

This game is certainly going into release with very little buzz. The quicklook and reviews are hiting tonight. What do you think will be the general impression?

From what I've seen in trailers and previews the game seems cool with inventive systems in play but there just something wrong with visuales or moment to moment gameplay. I can't put my finger on the problem but as Ryan put it ''I just don't see it''.

Avatar image for living4theday258
    living4theday258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By living4theday258

i think with all the mechanics they're introducing there will be mixed reviews and opinions.

ramboknife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By ramboknife

I wouldn't say the buzz is low at all, Bethesda has been doing quite a bit of advertising for it and there have been several videos on Giantbomb. Like any game, I hope it's going to be good...having it be a bad game doesn't benefit anyone.

The one thing that makes me slightly nervous is the fact that Bethesda likes to publish shitty games (besides their own), so their track record leading up to Dishonoured is a little shaky, to say the least.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#4  Edited By BeachThunder

I'm guessing

prod88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By prod88

2*

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By pyrodactyl

@Ramboknife said:

I wouldn't say the buzz is low at all, Bethesda has been doing quite a bit of advertising for it and there have been several videos on Giantbomb. Like any game, I hope it's going to be good...having it be a bad game doesn't benefit anyone.

lots of ads but no resent word from the press. Normally, when an hotly anticipated game is coming out , certain members of the press just say stuff like ''There's an embargo on game x but I'm sure they won't mind if I tell you you should play it.'' I haven't seen anyone who has play the game talk about anything even loosely dishonored related on twitter or anywhere.

Avatar image for deactivated-6204297b0c601
    deactivated-6204297b0c601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

@pyrodactyl said:

@Ramboknife said:

lots of ads but no resent word from the press. Normally, when an hotly anticipated game is coming out , certain members of the press just say stuff like ''There's an embargo on game x but I'm sure they won't mind if I tell you you should play it.'' I haven't seen anyone who has play the game talk about anything even loosely dishonored related on twitter or anywhere.

I disagree with your premise there - I can't speak to Twitter buzz, but I feel a lot of people have been talking about it in the past week. They mentioned it here on the Bombcast and TNT, and Patrick tweeted the time the QL and review would go up. I've seen a couple "stories" elsewhere posting an interactive launch trailer and closing with a plug for their review coming up. Any silence now is probably just a factor of 1) it being embargoed and 2) there being a lot of other stuff coming out right now.

To answer the original question, I guess we'll find out in 12 hours, but I would expect something like 3-4 stars. What they've shown of the game so far has me intrigued enough that, as long as it's not broken technically or been blatantly misrepresented, I think I'll get some enjoyment out of it. My biggest concern is Bethesda's record as a publisher, although not all of their games have been bad - my biggest problem with Rage was the pacing, really.

Barrabas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By Barrabas

I hope this game is fantastic for the people interested in it, but I don't really get the fervor for it. I look at the developer history and it's kind of underwhelming. They don't release bad games, just never anything warranting the kind of hype this game gets. Oh well, here's to hoping it's fantastic and gets a 5 out of 5.

WightnNerdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#10  Edited By WightnNerdy

I hope it's a really great game because after Resident Evil 6 I want to play something half decent.

Master_Funk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Master_Funk

I have a feeling it will receive the same score that XCOM will receive, since they were talking about how tough a choice it would be between the two games on TNT.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By wjb

I'm sure it will score well, but it sounds like there is already a few who aren't impressed.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Everything I've seen so far makes me think it could be a fantastic experience. It looks like it mix in all the best elements of bioshock, Deus Ex, Thief, and Hitman. Pretty much a recipe for the perfect stealth game, is what I'm getting at.

If it can execute those ideas well then I think it will get somewhere between an 8-10 among reviewers.

Can't really comment on GB's review since I don't know who's reviewing it or what their taste in gaming is though.

Zekhariah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Zekhariah

@wjb said:

I'm sure it will score well, but it sounds like there is already a few who aren't impressed.

The only one I've seen is CVG's review being leaked as 9.5 / 10 and speculating on it being once in a generation. Although it would be amazing if the reviews end up even more split than RE6.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Ares42

From what I've seen it seems like a very well made game, but a completely "love it or hate it" concept. Hate is probably a strong word, but either you get it or you don't. I'm guessing a 4 and a generally positive attitude, but it depends on who's actually been playing it. I think it's Patrick that's been reviewing it ? Would guess maybe he's not gonna be completely swept away by it and probably (as always) over-analyze it.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By joshthebear

I really hope this turns out amazing, though I haven't gotten a good read on anyone's thoughts yet.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By DoctorWelch

There's no buz because there's not allowed to be buz yet. I think from the hints people have been giving, I think that game is going to be pretty good. I wouldn't be surprised if there ends up being a lot of buz about it this week, but who knows?

WMWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By WMWA

I really think it'll be a 5 star game and will end up being on GOTY short lists. It has this out of nowhere Bioshock quality to it.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DeF

Guaranteed sleeper hit.

Ignored by the masses, loved by the Deus Ex crowd.

As for myself, I expect to love the shit out of that game :)

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By mosdl

I am more concerned about the PC version's quality which is why I am waiting for reviews.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By Winternet

I'm going with "cinco estrellitas", but I admit I may be over optimistic here.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#22  Edited By huntad

I'm gonna guess a solid 4 stars.

Nev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#23  Edited By Nev

@PollySMPS said:

Jeff will sigh and say "Yeah, but..." at some point.

Heh. Yeaaah, this, probably, and 4 stars.

ObiKwiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By ObiKwiet

I'm going out on a limb, but I think Jeff will say "you should buy this game" at some point during the quick look.

I am also calling it: 5 stars

The little hints they have been dropping in videos and CVG's leaked review are what I am basing these predictions on.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#25  Edited By granderojo

I'm guessing that Ryan will really like Dishonored and Jeff and Vinny will have lots to say about it.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AngelN7

MINUS FIVE STARS!

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Grillbar

@BeachThunder said:

I'm guessing

yep me to

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#28  Edited By Vinny_Says

4 stars. There are videos of the first 15 minutes of that game online. Apparently the game is structured with missions rather than a single long narrative like Bioshock.

renmckormack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By renmckormack

everybody loves it and they look over the technical flaws for what the game is trying to deliver. ql by jeff and brad.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MikkaQ

Looking st the dev's past history, peronsally I really wouldn't get too excited about the game until I'm told otherwise. I hope it's good, but I dunno. Could go either way.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By bybeach

The hint I got from some GB video was positive. I think it will be too flawed for a 5/5 because of difficulties due to the complexity.. I will have a better perspective after 9:00 tonight, Damn I thought that QL was AM!!! I was and am looking forward to it.

I know it's rude but if Ryan really feels that way, I hope someone else has a shot at it. That would be fair in a sense especially if he has already stated some sort of view. I don't expect to be into X-Com, though I do believe I am going to try....I need to broaden out a bit. Dishonored does bring a number of things to the table however. Certainly not a COD...

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By kishinfoulux

@thabigred said:

I'm guessing that Ryan will really like Dishonored and Jeff and Vinny will have lots to say about it.

Ryan said he doesn't see it like others on that Gamespot show. Isn't Patrick reviewing the game also?

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By kishinfoulux

@Vinny_Says said:

4 stars. There are videos of the first 15 minutes of that game online. Apparently the game is structured with missions rather than a single long narrative like Bioshock.

That's been known though. Each level is sort of a mini sandbox, but it's not this huge open world like some people may think.

Also heard the game is incredibly short. I've seen reviewers trying to DC that, but a short game is a short game.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#34  Edited By Cincaid

@RenMcKormack said:

ql by jeff and brad

Doubt it, since Patrick is reviewing it.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Hunkulese

Always bet on 4/5 unless it's a darling indie game.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By supamon

I hope it will be good. The vibe I got from Jeff was that it might be good. Might be mixing that up with XCOM though. 3-4 stars me thinks.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#37  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

I'm hopeful for Dishonered. Looking forward to the quicklook.

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#39  Edited By bibamatt

I played a demo of it at Eurogamer Expo last week and the demo was baaaad. I realise that sometimes early demos are bad though and, hey, sometimes you just don't enjoy a demo when really it was good. So I'm waiting and seeing. But I'm sitting on the 'meh' side of the fence at the moment. I was hyped to play it (I queued for ages!). What I got (in that particular demo) was Deus Ex-lite with half the style and excitement that I was expecting.

zaglis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By zaglis

@mosdl said:

I am more concerned about the PC version's quality which is why I am waiting for reviews.

Feels like they gave it the same love as Square did with DEHR-PC.

http://www.bethblog.com/2012/07/13/a-look-at-dishonoreds-many-ui-options

bigdaddy81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By bigdaddy81

@kishinfoulux said:

@Vinny_Says said:

That's been known though. Each level is sort of a mini sandbox, but it's not this huge open world like some people may think.

Also heard the game is incredibly short. I've seen reviewers trying to DC that, but a short game is a short game.

So in other words, this game "won't overstay its welcome"? That's game reviewer speak for "This game I got for free was short enough that I could complete it and write its review in the same weekend so I can move on to my next free game".

Barrabas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#42  Edited By Barrabas

@bibamatt said:

I played a demo of it at Eurogamer Expo last week and the demo was baaaad. I realise that sometimes early demos are bad though and, hey, sometimes you just don't enjoy a demo when really it was good. So I'm waiting and seeing. But I'm sitting on the 'meh' side of the fence at the moment. I was hyped to play it (I queued for ages!). What I got (in that particular demo) was Deus Ex-lite with half the style and excitement that I was expecting.

I have my own reasons for not being super excited, but just as a reminder Deus Ex: HR also had a shitty demo by all accounts. Everyone seemed to think that game was going to be bad until it came out. Maybe this kind of game just doesn't demo well.

jeffrud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#43  Edited By jeffrud

All I know for certain is that buying this on the PS3 will probably be a bad idea. I've had a long and torrid love affair with Bethesda games, and that the PS3 versions of their titles seem to get shafted makes me sad.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Barrock

@jeffrud said:

All I know for certain is that buying this on the PS3 will probably be a bad idea. I've had a long and torrid love affair with Bethesda games, and that the PS3 versions of their titles seem to get shafted makes me sad.

It's an Unreal Engine 3 game. That usually runs okay on PS3 doesn't it?

BRNK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By BRNK

@thabigred said:

I coulda' swore I heard Ryan say it didn't grab in a video last week. Am I making that up? I guess that kind of comment would be an embargo-buster wouldn't it?

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By dungbootle

@jeffrud said:

It is only being published by Bethesda.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By WinterSnowblind

2/5. I think it's going to be a disappointment and not the Deus Ex style experience people are hoping for.

I do hope I'm wrong, of course.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By pyrodactyl

@BigDaddy81 said:

@kishinfoulux said:

@Vinny_Says said:

So in other words, this game "won't overstay its welcome"? That's game reviewer speak for "This game I got for free was short enough that I could complete it and write its review in the same weekend so I can move on to my next free game".

If reports about lenght are verified, I will certainly rent it instead of buy it.

jeffrud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#49  Edited By jeffrud

That it do, and combined with the observation of regarding its publishing status, I cautiously withdraw my previous statement. And in any case, this seems like a no-brainer for the PC if you have one that's up to snuff.

SuperZamrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By SuperZamrod

They mentioned in the podcast that next week will be awesome, but they can't talk about it yet. So I'm guessing they like Dishonored and Xcom.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.