Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

DmC Devil May Cry

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Jan 15, 2013

DmC Devil May Cry is a reboot of the series from developer Ninja Theory, featuring a redesigned Dante and a new take on the franchise's fiction.

So about Ryan's comments on the Bombcast...

• 57 results
    Seroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By Seroth

Ryan said on the podcast that if people were willing to accept Nero as the new main character in DMC4, then he wouldn't listen to their complaints.... 

I was under the impression that most people hated Nero and would rather play as Dante in DMC4. I felt like that, at least. Sure, Nero is interesting gameplay wise, but I found his character annoying. 

Who actually was fully accepting of Nero in DMC4?

swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By swamplord666

I was! I didn't mind him at all. Although he was a moany bitch whenever Kyrie was mentioned, He gave a new flavor to the gameplay and he had the same wisecracking attitude that we like from Dante

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Baillie

I liked Nero. I also don't mind young Dante. You guys are crying about nothing.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By ch13696

I found nothing wrong with Nero. I liked his fast paced action compared to Dante's slower, but stronger actions.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ProfessorEss

I assume most fans would give Nero a pass due to him being THE EXACT SAME CHARACTER!!

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Baillie
    @ProfessorEss: Same could be said for.. Dante...
    Avatar image for dragoonkain1687
    DragoonKain1687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By DragoonKain1687

I bought DMC thinking that I was going to be using Dante for at least 50% of the game, not 20% Playing only 5 missions with Dante was terrible, specially when you see that Nero is a piece of crap, and Dante is amazing. 

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

I did.

BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By BrittonPeele

I liked Nero, personally.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Brendan

I liked Nero, and I'm willing to hold out and see more of the new game before making judgements on the new character as well.  To be honest, the gameplay is way more important than the narrative or characters of a DMC game. 
    CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By CptBedlam

I frankly don't care about the whole issue because the magic was lost anyway since series creator Kamiya left the developer. DMC1 was a masterpiece. Everything fit together perfectly. The art/level design was mind-blowing and gameplay was just perfect (not too many gimmicky weapons or styles as in later DMCs, just the right amount).

DMC 2 - 4 just don't have it. Yes, including DMC 3, despite it's very solid gameplay.

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By Zippedbinders

I think most fans don't know what they want. I've been a huge DMC fan over the years, but I was smart enough to avoid 2 and 4, 2 for being bland and borderline terrible, and 4 for watching Capcom realize that they were running out of ideas for how to make DMC. I ended up watching a friend go through 80% of 4 and immediately knew I didn't want to buy it. Nero was a lazy attempt at redesigning a Dante into a story they felt comfortable telling. They had gotten to such a point that they wanted older Dante's swagger but with a younger Dante's piss and vinegar attitude pining after some emotional turmoil. It was cheesy in a bad way. 

DmC is a fresh take on a series that should have stopped on the PS2. Bayonetta pretty much did everything DMC was good at, only much better, so the concept that it might not follow the traditional DMC character path, narrative, or even gameplay is refreshing. Ninja Theory's new take on it seems thought out and pretty interesting, and knowing their games, the animation will be pretty awesome. I'm stoked to see what they do with it.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By xyzygy

I loved Nero and I wish that they would either continue his story, or go on with this new Dante. Which is what they're doing lol

I read one of the developers at Ninja Theory saying that "what was cool 12 years ago sin't cool anymore". They were talking about the old Dante. 

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By CL60
    @Baillie said:
    " I liked Nero. I also don't mind young Dante. You guys are crying about nothing. "
    That's your opinion that it's nothing, not everybody elses.
    CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By CptBedlam
    @xyzygy said:
    "I read one of the developers at Ninja Theory saying that "what was cool 12 years ago sin't cool anymore". They were talking about the old Dante.  "
    But their Dante isn't cool either. Their design just comes across as a desperate attempt to be cool with the smoking, the twilight looks and everything.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CL60
    @CptBedlam said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    "I read one of the developers at Ninja Theory saying that "what was cool 12 years ago sin't cool anymore". They were talking about the old Dante.  "
    But their Dante isn't cool either. Their design just comes across as a desperate attempt to be cool with the smoking, the twilight looks and everything. "
    Also the fact that he looks exactly like a guy at Ninja Theory.
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @CptBedlam said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    But their Dante isn't cool either. Their design just comes across as a desperate attempt to be cool with the smoking, the twilight looks and everything. "
    He doesn't look like Twilight characters! 

Look at the damn trailer.  They are way to clean and well groomed.
    Avatar image for deactivated-57aaaa9329732
    deactivated-57aaaa9329732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@CptBedlam said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    New Dante looks as much like Twilight's Edward as old Dante looked like Sephiroth.  
    Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@ProfessorEss said:
    " I assume most fans would give Nero a pass due to him being THE EXACT SAME CHARACTER!! "
    Only visually. They have completely different fighting styles and personalities.

I take Ryan's opinions with a grain of salt, as they have a tendency to be knee-jerk. Like his intense dislike of Yoshi, for instance. Since apparently no one on the crew actually liked the original DMC games, I'm not expecting to agree with much of what they have to say about the reboot.
    phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By phrosnite

DMC4 is one of the worst games I've even played and I'm so glad Ninja theory is making this one because it will be a mediocre game for sure. Sorry for being an ass but I want all DMC characters dead.

Why so few people/game journalist made fun of Dante's new look? He looks so f-ing emo. He is just revolting. I can't believe people bitched about the look of the prince in WW but say nothing of Dante's new look. The internet sucks.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#21  Edited By Rhaknar

when did people stop calling stuff "emo"and start calling it "twilight"?

anyway, i dont mind dante, nero or the new dante. Then again i'm not that big on DMC so...

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#22  Edited By Soap

DMC is a dying franchise, there I said it. DMC4 was so poor I couldn't even be bothered to finish it. The design for dante worked great on the PS2 but forsome reason he just looked like such a video game character now, I really like the new design and I think this new game can only bring good things to the franchise. *lifts flame shield*

ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ventilaator

I honestly have no idea where Ryan was coming from. He said that if DMC fans want a completely new character to look exactly the same, he doesn't have to listen to them.

But nobody wanted Nero to look exactly like Dante....seriously. EVERYONE I heard from were against it, and EVERYONE I heard from seemed to WTF hard at the completely stupid decision.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @SuperfluousMoniker said:

I take Ryan's opinions with a grain of salt, as they have a tendency to be knee-jerk.

Change "grain" to "handful" and I'm totally with ya. :)
    cornwalliz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By cornwalliz

I had no problem playing as Nero, but more Dante I will welcome.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#26  Edited By Undeadpool

I would've liked him better if Capcom had bothered to make him a different character. I'm going to describe a character, see if you can tell which one: a white-haired, trenchcoat wearing wise-cracking demon hunter wielding guns and a sword. The only difference was Dante's coat was red and Nero's was blue. I knew Capcom loved palette swaps, but that seems like it was going a little far to me. I'm honestly glad we can get some new blood injected into this series.
    Also love the word "emo" getting thrown around. It's like the new catchall word for whatever someone doesn't like, but it has no intrinsic meaning to whomever's using it.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@Undeadpool:  Nero didn't wisecrack. He was more of a reluctant hero, a little whiny even. Like I said before, they look visually similar, but in every other way they are completely different.
    august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By august

Devil May Cry: serious business.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By LiquidPrince

Nero ws consistent with the prior protagonist of the Devil May Cry series and there was hints that he was somehow related to Dante. This new Dante is completely unrelated. If you're going to reboot the series, just start from scratch. Don't create a character and slap the name Dante on him.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By CptBedlam
    @SethPhotopoulos said:
    " @CptBedlam said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    He doesn't look like Twilight characters!  Look at the damn trailer.  They are way to clean and well groomed. "
    Okay, a twilight guy with a dirty face then.
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#31  Edited By MooseyMcMan

There's a difference between making you play as a different character for most of a game, and completely redesigning a character beloved by fans of the series.  

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @odintal said:
    " @CptBedlam said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    New Dante looks as much like Twilight's Edward as old Dante looked like Sephiroth.   "
    This.
    Lucifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Lucifer
    @Undeadpool said:
    " I would've liked him better if Capcom had bothered to make him a different character. I'm going to describe a character, see if you can tell which one: a white-haired, trenchcoat wearing wise-cracking demon hunter wielding guns and a sword. The only difference was Dante's coat was red and Nero's was blue. I knew Capcom loved palette swaps, but that seems like it was going a little far to me. I'm honestly glad we can get some new blood injected into this series.Also love the word "emo" getting thrown around. It's like the new catchall word for whatever someone doesn't like, but it has no intrinsic meaning to whomever's using it. "
    Is obvious your'e talking about Dante since Nero only has his single gun Blue Rose and Dante's has his Ebony and Ivory. (DMC fanboy hurr durr.)
    phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By phrosnite
    @Rhaknar said:
    " when did people stop calling stuff "emo"and start calling it "twilight"?  "

Hahaha, I find that really funny. But they all have one thing in common, they all suck.
    Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Bones8677

How was Nero any different from Dante? They looked and dressed identical...why was he is DMC4 anyway?

Ataribomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Ataribomb

This new DmC game is something I just can't get behind. Ninja Theory's comments regarding what was cool 12 years ago not being cool today may be somewhat on the mark, but what they've created is far from cool. Not only that, but exactly what has Ninja Theory done that would give them the authority to make a call like that?  If a beaten up, Edward-look-alike, grumpy, emo chainsmoker is their idea of cool then maybe they need to rethink some things too. I'm scared this is going to be DMC2 all over again. And for the record, I thought Nero sucked and DMC3 was as good as it gets.   

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Catolf
    @Bones8677 said:
    " How was Nero any different from Dante? They looked and dressed identical...why was he is DMC4 anyway? "
    nothing seemed differed besides his coat was this color and his is that, it's like a color swap and then boom yey new character? Nero's story wasn't told well, though it tried to give hints that Dante/Virgil/Nero were somehow related or something..

it seemed cheap, very, "This guy has white hair and well kinda say they are related so fans are happy" kind of a thing.

I dunno, I'm excited for a overhaul, everyone else just seems to be whining. 

@Ataribomb said:
    "  This new DmC game is something I just can't get behind. Ninja Theory's comments regarding what was cool 12 years ago not being cool today may be somewhat on the mark, but what they've created is far from cool. Not only that, but exactly what has Ninja Theory done that would give them the authority to make a call like that?  If a beaten up, Edward-look-alike, grumpy, emo chainsmoker is their idea of cool then maybe they need to rethink some things too. I'm scared this is going to be DMC2 all over again. And for the record, I thought Nero sucked and DMC3 was as good as it gets.    "

Please stop throwing out Twilight and Emo like that is what this is. makes you look silly, as it does everyone else who does it.
    Ataribomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Ataribomb
    @Catolf said:
    "Please stop throwing out Twilight and Emo like that is what this is. makes you look silly, as it does everyone else who does it. "  
    I am just calling it as I see it, just as I'm sure you feel you are. I hardly see how making a clear association between the two is silly, but I know it can't be sillier than how they've made Dante look and act. 
    RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By RobotHamster

I didn't mind Nero, but I wouldn't have minded if it was Dante instead.  But from what I saw from the trailer I really don't like what they've done with Dante.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#40  Edited By Yummylee

I thought Nero twas a cool character and I also don't have anything against the new Dante - minus of course his face being based on the lead developer. Seriously, I'll never let that down! 

But the whole section with Ryan talking about the hate for the new Dante design was really douchy, anyway. I can still understand why people might be peeved by the change.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Spoonman671

I didn't care for Nero, but I did like his devil arm thingy.

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Catolf
    @Ataribomb said:
    " @Catolf said:
    "Please stop throwing out Twilight and Emo like that is what this is. makes you look silly, as it does everyone else who does it. "  
    I am just calling it as I see it, just as I'm sure you feel you are. I hardly see how making a clear association between the two is silly, but I know it can't be sillier than how they've made Dante look and act.  "
    Yes, I suppose you could say that?

As far as look and act, he has not had a chance to act, so you can hardly groan about how he acts. You've seen a single fight scene, standard in gaming at best and say a total of 4 words, that's it. Wait for more than a single trailer before you jump to that. As far as looks, I'm glad he isn't a freaking clone, he looks different.

@Abyssfull said:
    I also don't have anything against the new Dante - minus of course his face being based on the lead developer. Seriously, I'll never let that down! 

While people say he does look like him, a simple hair style I doubt can make it seem that way, though it's become the thing to compare him with. I just see a white guy with a similar hairstyle myself, but to each his own. I'd just like to see more before I come to a judgment, right now I like the new look (despite whom he may look like) and hope that the gameplay can match what I know will be a marvelous telling of DmC story and CGI.

I know Ninja Theory does wonderful stories and can make you believe your looking at actual people, but can they pull off the fast paced combat? That is what am a just a little... little leery on.
    Noodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Noodles

No Caption Provided
    If you don't think they look similar, you are fucking blind. Just give Edward a few scratches and gel his hair differently and they are exactly the same.

But really, who cares? If the game is fun, I will play it. Couldn't care less about the character design, the old Dante was just as cliche and boring.
    Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Catolf
    @Noodles said:
    "
    No Caption Provided
    If you don't think they look similar, you are fucking blind. Just give Edward a few scratches and gel his hair differently and they are exactly the same.  But really, who cares? If the game is fun, I will play it. Couldn't care less about the character design, the old Dante was just as cliche and boring. "
    I don't. So, I think your blind. Also, if you bring up this point, and yet do the above, what WAS the point there?
    MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By MeierTheRed
    @Baillie said:
    " I liked Nero. I also don't mind young Dante. You guys are crying about nothing. "
    Amen brother
    shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#46  Edited By shirogane

I think the problem here is that...he's not Dante. 
    Change his godamn name or something if you're gonna do something like that. 

But then people will complain that there's no Dante in the game...bleh...gamers, you can't win.
    schizogony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By schizogony

I play DMC games for the action, not the characters or story.  I have played all four DMC games and can't even BEGIN to tell you ANYTHING that has happened.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ThePickle

I liked Nero. DMC4 was great in general, but I do think they need to change things up a bit. 

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Catolf
    @Shirogane said:
    " I think the problem here is that...he's not Dante. Change his godamn name or something if you're gonna do something like that.  But then people will complain that there's no Dante in the game...bleh...gamers, you can't win. "
    yuppers.
    RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#50  Edited By RVonE
    @phrosnite said:
    "DMC4 is one of the worst games I've even played"
    This leads me to conclude that either you almost exclusively play outstanding games, or you haven't played many games to begin with. 
    Let me rephrase: I think you are exaggerating.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.