Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age II

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Mar 08, 2011

This sequel to Dragon Age: Origins features faster combat, a new art style, and a brand new, fully voiced main character named Hawke.

First Dragon Age II Images Debut

• 135 results
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#51  Edited By Yummylee

*sigh*

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#52  Edited By Tesla

This looks worse than the original to me just in terms of graphical fidelity.

eminenssi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By eminenssi

I'll be frank, I was really surprised how little attention it seemed Bioware spent on these promo screens, for me it seems they're halfway finished and completely unpolished. I'm not dissing the game or the company, on the contrary, I have high hopes (and fingers crossed as well) that the sequel for my favorite RPG of 2009 turns out well.  

But yeah, check out a high-res version of the 2nd screenshot and let's compare it to an screenie from the original game. 

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

I don't work with 3D programs, so I my terminology may be lacking, but just compare the ogres. The prequel ogre looks like it timetravelled here from a gamecube game, the bump mapping seems inexistant, textures mushy and lighting pretty bad as well.  

Overall the new screens just weird me out, I found the first DA to be a beautiful game (but being a big fan of it, I'm quite biased about it all in all) but these news ones look like ass. I get where they're going with the art style, if the DA2 will be more action-oriented a more comic-y and minimized style over the ornamentalism and baroqueness of the first one. But hell, add more dirt and grit. And make sure the images are finished before releasing them, Bioware!
    Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#54  Edited By MachoFantastico

Are they seriously releasing those images as official? Thought they were leaked tester shots at first. Hope it visually improves. 

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#55  Edited By BoOzak

Like most people i'm not into the new art style & the idea of Dragon Age being more action orientated sounds stupid. (we dont need another Fable) But  I wouldnt mind a VO'ed character, (with good voice acting obviously) the voices you had to choose from in DAO were terrible with some of the most cringeworthy lines utterd constantly.. And like Brad said the whole emotionless sociopath thing kinda killed any sense of being connected to the character even if it was meant to represent you.

I really wish Bioware would stop churning out these "stylistic" art styles I have yet to find anyone who likes the way SWTOR looks and it's not as if there being original. (as of late most developers think there being inovative by implementing some variant of cel shading into their game.. Zelda anyone?)

..Anyway I'll try my best to reserve judgement but what I dont understand is why even show the game in it's current form if it's so far off release and then expect everyone to make excuses for it, the whole "It's Bioware there incapable of making bad games" is getting old.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

i didn't know this was coming out on the N64.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

In Niko Bellic voice: 
    "THIS IS CRAP!" 
    Well, got a while until release, I guess.  Hope they fit more than 2 polygons on screen.

rohanspear345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#58  Edited By rohanspear345

yo the graphics look shitty now.

Lonely_Ogre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#59  Edited By Lonely_Ogre
    @Miketorreza:@Miketorreza said:
    " @Jimbo said:
    " Umm, what art style are we talking about here exactly?  The only vibe I'm getting from these is "blurry, drab textures".  I'd struggle to pick these out of a line-up of Dragon Age 1 screenshots.
    Exactly what I was going to say. I'm sorry Mr. Nicholson, but I don't know what you're smoking. These screens don't look good at all. "
    Yeah, I agree with both of you guys. It doesn't look terrible, but it doesn't look good. Maybe the pics just have bad resolution. Or maybe they're planning on updating the textures.
    KillyDarko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 43

#60  Edited By KillyDarko

What is "new console combat" meant to be?? I hope they won't dumb down the combat system with some auto-targetting shit or whatever. Or if they do, at least please let there be an option to disable it! My mouse can handle aiming just fine thank you very much.

As for the two images that were released, uh.... I feel like the graphics are going backwards in time rather than forward. Dragon Age: Origins looks much better than this! Anyway... I love BioWare and I want to believe they will not let me down. I'm pretty sure I'll end up having a huge smile on my face when the game's released. I hope.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#61  Edited By Enigma777

I like the artstyle, but those textures look like chunky vomit. The troll doesn't look much better either. 

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#62  Edited By ryanwho

I love this. Someone sees something at Kotaku and makes a thread. Nicholson sees a thread and makes a redundant article so people can repost what they said in the first thread.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Jeffsekai

SIGH

KillerBears

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By KillerBears

This looks pretty metal. The model design seems a bit too straight and jagged, though.

ManlyBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#65  Edited By ManlyBeast

What the.......

SkyMasterson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By SkyMasterson

Brad can you please change your pic. That pic makes you look like a 50 year old hipster desperately clinging to his youth. I googled you and found out you are not so old and don't look that old, but that thumbnail pic really bothers me lol. Please chose another pic that suits you better. 

Anyway, I have the Dragon Age CE still sealed for 360. It's weird how fast they are pumping out a sequel. I mean Dragon Age took them forever to make and then 4 months later they come out with a meaty expansion and then 10 months after the expansion is when the sequel is scheduled to drop. Regardless it looks nice and just encourages me to open the first one.
    Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Dan_CiTi
    @KillyDarko said:
    " What is "new console combat" meant to be?? I hope they won't dumb down the combat system with some auto-targetting shit or whatever. Or if they do, at least please let there be an option to disable it! My mouse can handle aiming just fine thank you very much.  As for the two images that were released, uh.... I feel like the graphics are going backwards in time rather than forward. Dragon Age: Origins looks much better than this! Anyway... I love BioWare and I want to believe they will not let me down. I'm pretty sure I'll end up having a huge smile on my face when the game's released. I hope. "
    How do you aim in Dragon Age? It isn't a shooter. 
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By ryanwho
    @Dan_CiTi said:
    " @KillyDarko said:
    " What is "new console combat" meant to be?? I hope they won't dumb down the combat system with some auto-targetting shit or whatever. Or if they do, at least please let there be an option to disable it! My mouse can handle aiming just fine thank you very much.  As for the two images that were released, uh.... I feel like the graphics are going backwards in time rather than forward. Dragon Age: Origins looks much better than this! Anyway... I love BioWare and I want to believe they will not let me down. I'm pretty sure I'll end up having a huge smile on my face when the game's released. I hope. "
    How do you aim in Dragon Age? It isn't a shooter.  "
    Lightning bolt!
    FireSketch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By FireSketch
    @KoolAid: I agree. I thought Dragon Age was so cool because it didn't streamline everything. It just improved and modernised the traditional Bioware Infinity / Aurora Engine RPG style. I love Mass Effect, but I want DA2 to just be more, and better, Dragon Age.

However, I guess we're jumping to conclusions. We've seen two screenshots and a tiny bit of information.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By ryanwho

Its not an actual screenshot unless the camera is set in a way that people would actually play the game. I don't really care how a game looks at completely impractical angles.

WitchHunter_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#71  Edited By WitchHunter_Z

First shot doesn't look bad, nice detail on the PC, but the second shot looks like garbage. 

I don't like the idea of Dragon Age becoming more like Mass Effect, for great character based interactions I've already got Mass Effect, I liked the homage to old-school CRPG's that Dragon Age: O was.

Kitaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Kitaro

Looks cheap so far, eww

FireSketch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By FireSketch
    @skrutop: Come on, he got the news across just fine.
    OmegaAmen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By OmegaAmen

I don't understand.... Why are they changing the great, hardcore RPG aspects of Dragon Age: Origins (i.e. the reason why it is critically praised), and then making it look like a Unreal Engine 2 (or 1) modded game from the early 2000s?

Before the announcement and screenshots, I was really excited on the idea of a sequel to DA:O. Now, especially after looking at these awful graphics, I am completely turned off.

warchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By warchief

dude what the hell is going on with that second screen!? fugly 

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By cikame

I'm confused, this is less of a new art style and more of "just dial back the technology clock a couple years"

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By ryanwho

Maybe they're focus testing. Maybe they'll dial back based on feedback. Maybe they can check their egos and make the game people want.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#78  Edited By MordeaniisChaos
    @Dan_CiTi said:
    " @KillyDarko said:
    How do you aim in Dragon Age? It isn't a shooter.  "
    You know what I love? Guys who love to pick at things from just the right direction to make them wrong, when the point made was totally valid. 

I dunno about the style JUST YET. It looks like it has a LOT of potential, but it also looks a lot like.. well, another certain RPG Bioware is working on, but with a good bit more detail. I like the color, I just hope they tone it down a bit. I'd prefer rich, dark colors to bright creamy colors, so hopefully the environments will show plenty of contrast. I also am going to be real ticked off if they take away the whole bloody people thing, I loved that in DA. As long as it retains its darker aspects as well as the great humor, I'll be fine. I just really want to see this in action. Hopefully that will happen pretty soon.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By xyzygy

Is it just me or does the bottom image look really blocky? 

Either way, I'm loving the new style of the game. I really didn't like the gameplay of Dragon Age that much, well I mean it wasn't bad but I just felt that it was lacking for my tastes, maybe even a little boring. I'm excited to see the results of the console version.

canucks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By canucks23

Not diggin it at all. Just makes everything look worse than it already did imo.

Aarny91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 14

#81  Edited By Aarny91

Looks like it's in alpha. It also looks exactly the same as the first Dragon Age.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Jimbo

Here are a few of my screenshots from DA1.  I was clearly mistaken when I said I couldn't tell the difference; these look much better:

Carlos1408

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Carlos1408

Art style is cool. I'm assuming the graphics are poor cause it's so early in development.

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By sagesebas

I'm kind of worried they are changing what made Dragon Age: Origins great in the first place

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By ryanwho
    @Jimbo said:
    " Here are a few of my screenshots from DA1.  I was clearly mistaken when I said I couldn't tell the difference; these look much better:

"
    I also remember the deathspawn you summon at an alter being pretty impressive looking. But yeah, this basically. I just assume anyone who thinks this new shit looks better must have played the console version because its not even a contest if you look at PC shots.
    armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#86  Edited By armaan8014

Boohooohooo! I love Dragon Age! What are you doing to it? STOP!!

:(

LiquidPenguins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#87  Edited By LiquidPenguins

Stop using the argument that the screenshots don't look good because the game is still early in development. These screenshots are the first being used to promote the game. They're honestly embarrassing. I'd love to be wrong but I'm extremely skeptical of what they're doing to the franchise.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By FunExplosions

"NOW WITH EVEN MORE LORD OF THE RINGS!"

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By ryanwho
    @LiquidPenguins:
    Yeah really. Calling them "early" is as much as assumption as anything. if you're going "stop making assumptions, these shots are early" just shove your head up your ass and save some time.
    Fade2Gray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Fade2Gray

The art direction looks fine to me, but these images look kind of blocky and janky to me (especially the second one).

Ersanven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Ersanven

But I played my character as a sociopath...

I want this game colorful and not shit brown like the previous one. I'm going to be skeptical until Bioware can reassure me that everything won't have a next gen filter on it.

Amaru25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Amaru25

I think Bioware is starting to become too mainstream for my liking. they're ruining all of their hardcore RPG series. ME2 was a third person shooter with some lame excuses for RPG elements. I hated it. Mass Effect 1 was infinitely better. And I loved Dragon Age 1 to death.

NutForest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By NutForest

Emo hair and tatoos... god dammit.

Fade2Gray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Fade2Gray
    @cikame said:

" I'm confused, this is less of a new art style and more of "just dial back the technology clock a couple years" "

Now that you mention it, that is kind of the vibe that second image is giving me. Maybe this game will have more scalability on PC. As long as it still looks good at the high end then I'm all for making this game work on as many PC's as possible. The more people who experience Dragon Age on a PC the better IMHO.
    Brenderous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#95  Edited By Brenderous

Holy Polygons, Batman!

Oishi_47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Oishi_47

Why is he fighting Skeletors?

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By CL60
    @ryanwho said:

" @LiquidPenguins: Yeah really. Calling them "early" is as much as assumption as anything. if you're going "stop making assumptions, these shots are early" just shove your head up your ass and save some time. "

Assumption? They are early..the game isn't coming out until March 2011, so unless they can time travel and make the game more complete, these are early shots. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. It is obvious they have not finished with the lighting or shaders yet.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#98  Edited By natetodamax

What is the new art style? I don't understand. First of all, those screens are terrible. And second, they don't look any different. People saying "I'm digging the new art style!" confuse the hell out of me. I see no improvement or difference yet.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By MarkWahlberg

I don't.... what?

nftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By nftw

thats just the thing you guys don't get it is concept art not graphic images.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.