Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age II

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Mar 08, 2011

This sequel to Dragon Age: Origins features faster combat, a new art style, and a brand new, fully voiced main character named Hawke.

Oh wow, this is completely awful.

Avatar image for extreme_popcorn
    Extreme_Popcorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#351  Edited By Extreme_Popcorn
    @yinstarrunner said:
    " @Buck_Sexington said:
    " Shit, I must have played a different Dragon Age: Origins to some people on here. I don't remember this vibrant, colourful world they played in, I don't remember the amazing UI and menu they had and I don't remember the out of this world combat.  I remember the world being pretty brown and uninteresting, I remember the UI being a piece of crap that needed modding to be usable and I remember the combat being a tad slow and monotonous. But then again the main reason I've played 138 hours of Dragon Age is because I loved the story, the characters and RPG aspects of the game. Something that people seem to be forgetting is that none of the parts that made the first game great have been show.   All these people who are now cancelling their pre-orders because a camera angle and minor changes to the combat clearly didn't enjoy the first game at all because they could see past these minor changes/annoyances and want to play the game for it's main appeal. The story.  Then again what the fuck would you bitch and moan about then. DLC and pre-order bonuses probably. "
     Saying that Dragon Age 2 is worse than Dragon Age: Origins does not mean that we think DA:O is perfect.  Every game has its problems.  That said, spending 138 hours playing a game you seem absolutely uninterested in PLAYING seems kind of extreme.  You'd probably be better off with a good book if you want story and characters without gameplay.  There are actually a couple of Dragon Age books that I heard are actually quite entertaining. Thing is, a lot of people don't share your dismissive attitude when it comes to the gameplay of the first game.   You see, people don't really make games like DA:O anymore.  I know you're going to say, "well there's a reason for that!"  And you're right, there is.  Tactical RPGs do not appeal to today's gamer, a creature who, if given the choice between "depth" and "polish", would most likely choose "polish" every time.  There are already approximately 800 western RPGs coming out this year.  And pretty much every one of them has the word "action" tacked on to the front of that description.  And now Dragon Age is just another one of those, instead of being the unique beast that it was.  Even if you were bored by the gameplay of DA:O, it's still a sad thing to think about.  So the niche audience that absolutely loved the first game so passionately, for successfully bringing the old school into the new world, are obviously let down by the homogenization the franchise seems to have undergone.  To a lot of fans, it seems as if Dragon Age has lost its identity.  It no longer feels unique. "
    No, saying Dragon Age 2 is worse than Dragon Age: Origins does no mean you think it's perfect. It makes you dumb for judging a game that you've not played yet. 

Congratulations on completely missing my point, at no point did I say I was uninterested in playing. I wouldn't have played it for so long if I was. What I did say was that the combat was slow and did at times become monotonous at times which detracted from the game as a whole.  

You make your final point about it not being unique...you've played or possibly not played a 1 hour combat demo. That's 1 hour of a 60 hour game. Maybe you should think about that before you start making sweeping conclusions about the game.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#352  Edited By ryanwho

DA2 will have 60 unique hours in it. You can't base those 60 unique hours on the demo designed to give you an idea of the whole game. God, to live in a world of pure imagination. The game changes genres on the hour, gents. They throw the conventional quest structure out the window and reinvent it on the hour, gents. All of you, weekly, form opinions on games from 20 minute Quick Looks, its not until a game you want to love comes out that suddenly it matters to play the game 15 hours before having an opinion. But only if your opinion is negative. Unsubstantiated positive opinions are fine.

vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#353  Edited By vilhelmnielsen

As soon as you said, that you thought the cutscenes in DA:O on 360 were "fantastic looking", I knew we were different. I remember them as choppy, stale-looking and disconnecting. Sure the dialogue was great, the characters interesting and all that, but graphically it was an unoptimized port. The flow was much better in the demo.

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#354  Edited By Arker101
    @DG991:  My PC can barely handle the Steam download, let alone the games themselves, so all of my gaming is done on 360 and PS3. 
    I'm going to try to get to the demo today, hopefully it's not horrific, but this thread is kinda bumming me out. :-(
    Mistzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#355  Edited By Mistzero

i thought it was okay my only worry is im gonna have to buy a new graphics card to support direct x 11

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#356  Edited By Nottle
    @Buck_Sexington: I feel like having Hawke talk is ok. But i much rather be able to pick a race and have the old dialogue system. The wheel is too judgmental and seems so transparent which i feel makes people have choices that will always be top right because thats the good choice, and they did that in mass effect. Having Hawke talk is more cinematic, which is something DA kind of needs, but I don't care about it looking great if they will possibly neuter something i liked. Leleina's song had a speaking character and the old dialogue, why can't Bioware just use that? I feel like this wheel was less impactful because of the emotion icons, honestly the only one that they need is the sarcastic one.
    samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#357  Edited By samcotts

I'm yet to play the demo, but all I can say is: Thank fuck you can turn on auto-attack. 

Got me scared reading about the "hack-n-slash" combat.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#358  Edited By yinstarrunner
    @Buck_Sexington:   Oh, I'm sorry, mighty paragon of fairness.  I'm sure you've never judged a game before you've played it to completion, have you?

You've never been hyped for a game.
    You've never thought a game looked generic and stale. 

You feel no emotion towards any games before you have sat down and beaten them 100%.   Only then do you feel you have experienced enough to have an opinion!

Everything I've played, heard, read, and seen about this game (and it has been a lot) has tipped the scales on my opinion into the negative.  But you're right, I'm sure that as soon as I get halfway through the game my outlook is going to turn around completely.
    jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#359  Edited By jozzy

I think being able to set the game to a higher difficulty is going to mute a lot of complaints about the less tactical gameplay. Also they said there would be an intricate system of abilities from different characters complementing eachother into devastating effects which sounds interesting.

I am one of those who got really annoyed with the combat in DA:O. I am a fan of tactical combat, but there were just way too many uninteresting encounters in the game that made it a slog at times. The combat in the DA2 demo seems way more entertaining with its faster pace, and I am sure on the higher difficulties you'll still need to pause and think about your action in a tactical manner.

I am a little worried about the story though.

FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#360  Edited By FesteringNeon

Your aggressive nature in the response to the topic has me all worked up, and as such I must use bold, and CAPITAL LETTERS to convey my point, and a few of my own special touches.. such as poor grammar/editing skills,  (...)(pauses)(...), and ('s as well. (couldn't remember how to spell it, and too lazy to look it up)

While I did grow accustomed to the combat style, it did feel a little weird to me... who knows, maybe it'll pass. 
    But if one thing unsold me faster than anything in this demo.. it would be the epic return of INVISIBLE FUCKING WALLS. I cannot and will not put up with that shit. It just irritates me more than words can describe. (so i'll just give in  by buying it used, once it's cheaper.. way to prove a point, eh? : / )

I get the linear path, I really do... butt four fucks ache.........(the inevitable).....cum on.

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#361  Edited By teh_pwnzorer

So I finally tried the demo.  The in-game animations look nice...  Here's my gripe:  The game is a tactical real time RPG, yet the camera perspective is more appropriate for action RPGs.  All you do in this game is right click on enemies and wait until they die.  The camera should not be centered at your selected character.  It should be like in (old school?) strategy/tactical games: You should be looking down on your team...like in Baldur's Gate, Jagged Alliance, etc.  What have the game designers been smoking in the last decade?

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#362  Edited By Arker101

I couldn't turn auto-attack on in the demo, but it still seemed pretty fun. When it does come out, I'll turn it on, but it was pretty fun and the story and graphics weren't bad at all.  

CottonWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#363  Edited By CottonWolf
    @Arker101:  I read somewhere that the devs have back peddled and there'll be no auto-attack in the console versions. Hell, they don't seem to have a clue one way or the other.   
    On the topic of how I found the demo. I really enjoyed it, I can see why some people wouldn't though. I know why they did what they did, you can't go around showing choices with large dramatic effects without spoiling the story. So yeah, I don't think you can really judge the game on the demo. Large RPGs aren't really conducive to demos at all. I can't really think of any RPG demos that give a reasonable idea of how the final game was.
    aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#364  Edited By aurahack

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I vehemently disliked the first game, completely on the grounds that the combat was boring and the story and characters were about as generic-fantasy as it gets. Played the demo for II and instantly loved it. Super fluid combat and some great changes to the presentation and structure of combat. I guess we'll see when the full game is out but I dunno... I'm pretty excited. 

But talking to my friends about it, seems like you either love it or hate it. No one I've talked to about it is on a middle ground. I feel kind of bad for Bioware, honestly. They've crafted a pretty great universe but it's marred by having two games (and an expansion) that don't really seem to have a direction at this point. 

Also, the voice actress for female Hawke is amazing.

CottonWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#365  Edited By CottonWolf
    @aurahack said:
    "Also, the voice actress for female Hawke is amazing. "  
    Yeah, everything about female Hawke is better than male Hawke in my view. The character model, the vocals. Definitely playing a girl first.
    jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#366  Edited By jmrwacko
    @CottonWolf said:

" @aurahack said:

Yeah, everything about female Hawke is better than male Hawke in my view. The character model, the vocals. Definitely playing a girl first. "
    I've decided, I'm going to play through the game as a male warrior, then I'll play female Hawk as an unethical, narcissistic apostate mage. Since evil female Hawke is so damn evil and reminds me 100% of Morrigan.
    CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#367  Edited By CaptainCody

Cry more, don't let your fanboyism get in the way of an opinion, it just says more about you. Dragon Age: Origins was certainly an enjoyable game for a lot of us, but by no means a masterpiece.
    SonicBoyster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#368  Edited By SonicBoyster

I was also put off by the demo.  Quite a bit.  I played through Dragon Age: Origins, Awakenings, and a couple of the DLC packs.  I found the camera retarded and the combat lackluster.  I also found the main-character's voice acting retarded.  Not in the way it sounds... but in the wild transitions from aggressive to coy, and to considerate.  When you change your tone in conversation you immediately sound like a psychopath.  Even when you're just using coy conversation options and the game automatically transitions into the parts of dialogue that are out of your control, during "cutscenes," and you sound completely different. 

I am, however, psyched for the skill trees, and am looking forward to the story telling.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#369  Edited By ImperiousRix
    @CottonWolf said:
    " @aurahack said:
    Yeah, everything about female Hawke is better than male Hawke in my view. The character model, the vocals. Definitely playing a girl first. "
    Defintely got that vibe, too.  I played the demo twice through, once as a male mage and once as a female rogue, and although I liked playing as a mage much better, the female Hawke definitely seems like the better voice actress.  She easily switches between the dialog options without feeling like she's schizophrenic, something the male voice actor seems to have a problem with. 
    Might be playing a female mage when the game comes out.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.