Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

Can somebody please tell me how to enjoy this game?

• 103 results
    Berserk007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#101  Edited By Berserk007

yeah the console version in my opinion is a lump of shit and the only way to really play it is on PC. Trust me once you play it like its supposed to be played, you will have very little questions about how it should be played. (god bless the pause button)

AkuroBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#102  Edited By AkuroBedlam
    @nintendoeats: I'd honestly just try playing the different character types, getting a bit into the story. Treat it more like an interactive story. Some people (like me) planned out their character from top to bottom, what they would wear, what skills etc... but if that's not your thing, just treat it like any other RPG. It's a great game, trust me, just may take some getting used to. 

Also avoid playing other games while playing this one, between L4D2 and Borderlands, i got a bit lost on controls XD tried to run by pressing down the joystick etc... :P
    Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#103  Edited By Teran
    @nintendoeats said:
    " I just bought DA (yes I'm late to the party...) and I'm kind of struggling with it. I'm a huge Mass Effect fan, and I was kind of hoping that this would tide me over for a little while. But I'm just not "getting it," and I really want to. This happened with Bioshock until I began thinking about it more as an exploration of narrative, so I'm hoping that I can get into DA as well.    
    I think Dragon Age: Origins in many ways suffered for its lack of direction in the early game.  On the one hand player choice is nice, but on the other if you're given a list of objectives and then told to go complete them however you like you end up with inconsistent play experiences from player to player.  People who went to the Mage Tower first might feel the game had a slow beginning while those who went to Redcliffe first may have felt differently because of the way that zone naturally seems to send you to the mage tower. 

I will say this though.  I'm not sure which version you play but it sounds like a console version.  My experience was on the PC so I had a better experience pretty much all around given the difficulty of mapping a complex game to a ps3/360 controller.
     I will say that I love the actual dialogue (especially between Alistair and Morigan, even if Alistair seems inexplicably wussy) but decisions thus far haven't felt as interesting, since most of the options are things that intelligent people would never say. I'm also not impressed technically, as there are alot of things that just look dumb and/or wrong (especially the textures on character's clothing, which should be first priority).     
    Could you clarify on the dialog?  I completely disagree with you there, I felt like I always could say what I wanted to. 

Technically the game is amazing.  There are complex systems that generally interact well with each other on a technical and mechanical level.  I do agree however that graphically there were problems, but I think it's important to separate the two because the technical side of the game is generally not something that manifests itself in a literal sense while graphics are all about what you can see.  There is a grey area where they overlap, but in this case I think the distinction is important.
     The achievements are bad in the same way that ME 1's achievements are bad,    
    Agreed, not all were bad, but I really never had any desire to get the achievements because it looked more like work than fun.
      and the level up system has the same "dump all your early points into speech" problem that bugged me about ME1.    
    As a player you were not obligated to do this, nor did it have a massive impact on the way they game played.  You got a few nice bonuses, but nothing game changing.  My complaint is actually that only two or three of the skills were appealing... everything else just felt pointless so often speech would get maxed on the virtue that traps/poisons/tactics/etc just had no significant contributions when put on the protagonist.
      Lastly, the actual gameplay thusfar has consisted of "press A to attack, press other buttons to use more powerful version of attack, drink potions when almost dead" which isn't compelling.  I could harp on about some other little issues involving things like the map and loot collection, but this isn't intended as an attack on DA. I'm just trying to learn how to like the game. "
    That is one way of playing.  I personally built a group that would well together.  On fodder fights it was just pressing A to attack, but mid and late game get more challenging fights where some form of play beyond potion drinking and auto attacking becomes a lot more appealing.  After I beat it on normal I ended up playing through it twice more on the nightmare/insanity (whatever they call it) difficulty.  I had learned what works and what doesn't and created a power build that butchered the enemies in the game... for me the fun was in breaking the poorly balanced class system on my second/third play, but on my first it was all about the story and characters.
    Avatar image for stealthmaster86
    Stealthmaster86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#104  Edited By Stealthmaster86
    @Kyle said:
    " @nintendoeats: My advice to you: 1) switch out the console version of DA for PC and see if you like it more. 2) stop letting forum ragenaughts get you all worked up. It's what they want. "

Pretty much this. I've tried to play Knights of The Old Republic on the original Xbox a few times. Then I got to a chance to play the PC version and I became addicted. I'm playing Dragon Age right now for the 360. I would rather play it on the PC, but I don't have the hardware for it. Almost 4 hours in and I don't have a problem with it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.