Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

Dragon Age Origins So far: WOW...

giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

Edited By giyanks22

So yesterday I began playing my new copy of DA: O for the PC, and I am absolutely loving it. Im maybe two-three hours in, and it is amazing. The art style is great, the story is brilliant,  but the audio is the greatest ever. Better than Mass Effect even. The sound effects are great, the music is epic, and the voice acting is like an academy award winning movie. The cinematics are great, and create some epic moments reminiscient of stuff from LOTR. I cannot wait to really delve into this action packed game.

I'll say this. If you like KOTOR and Jade Empire then you'll like this. Even if you liked Mass Effect you'll like this. Get it .

Video Blog tomorrow.

What do you think about Dragon Age Origins.

giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By giyanks22

So yesterday I began playing my new copy of DA: O for the PC, and I am absolutely loving it. Im maybe two-three hours in, and it is amazing. The art style is great, the story is brilliant,  but the audio is the greatest ever. Better than Mass Effect even. The sound effects are great, the music is epic, and the voice acting is like an academy award winning movie. The cinematics are great, and create some epic moments reminiscient of stuff from LOTR. I cannot wait to really delve into this action packed game.

I'll say this. If you like KOTOR and Jade Empire then you'll like this. Even if you liked Mass Effect you'll like this. Get it .

Video Blog tomorrow.

What do you think about Dragon Age Origins.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By Claude

Well, I don't have it... Dragon Age Origins, but I wish I did. I'm not sure if my PC can play it and to play on a console is... like no, not interested. Maybe my PC could play it, the last bastion of sorts. Long live my dying PC.

nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By nanikore

Really? I shut it off after 30 minutes.

TinBillies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By TinBillies

Yeh, I bought this and mass effect of ebay and will be plaing Mass Effect then this game when I get back from holidays. 

Cant wait!!!
    turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By turbomonkey138
    @nanikore said:
    " Really? I shut it off after 30 minutes. "
    Well its not for everyone .
    SolemnOaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By SolemnOaf

If you think the audio is that great, you haven't heard the tavern song yet.
    giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By giyanks22
    @SolemnOaf said:
    " If you think the audio is that great, you haven't heard the tavern song yet. "
    No...I'm not at that part yet lol...
    SonicFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SonicFire

I bought it day one..but haven't played it yet...waiting till Christmas...when I can play it for 2 weeks straight :)

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By fwylo

I really want to get it, but I don't have a PC that will run it, and I feel like its not worth getting on console.  Maybe one day when I have a worthy PC :(.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By demonbear

I shut it off after 35 hours, this game rubs me the wrong way, and im a huge rpg guy, played every pc rpg since 1997 basically, i wont post the list here again but i am a big rpg fan.

And this games does nothing for me, the story is bland, the characters are generic, the universe is much more "been there done that" than i thought it would be. Seriously its a huge deception. And i bought it on steam so i cant resell it.... dammit!

TinBillies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TinBillies
    @demonbear said:
    "I shut it off after 35 hours, this game rubs me the wrong way, and im a huge rpg guy, played every pc rpg since 1997 basically, i wont post the list here again but i am a big rpg fan.  And this games does nothing for me, the story is bland, the characters are generic, the universe is much more "been there done that" than i thought it would be. Seriously its a huge deception. And i bought it on steam so i cant resell it.... dammit! "

If your so a 'been there done that' type of guy then why are you playing computer games at all?
    MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By MKHavoc
    @TinBillies: A better question would be why it took him 35 hours to realize he didn't like it.
    demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By demonbear
    @TinBillies said:
    " @demonbear said:
    "I shut it off after 35 hours, this game rubs me the wrong way, and im a huge rpg guy, played every pc rpg since 1997 basically, i wont post the list here again but i am a big rpg fan.  And this games does nothing for me, the story is bland, the characters are generic, the universe is much more "been there done that" than i thought it would be. Seriously its a huge deception. And i bought it on steam so i cant resell it.... dammit! "
    If your so a 'been there done that' type of guy then why are you playing computer games at all? "
    I like my pc. Simple.
    I know most of you won't agree with me but i don't mind. Dragon age is much, much more generic than i thought it would. And way to many moments ripped right out of LOTR. I mean i understand that tolkien basically wrote the basics of the fantasy setting and that its hard to be original in that genre, but dude. Talking tree, really?
    thefreshmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By thefreshmaker
    @demonbear said:
    " I shut it off after 35 hours, this game rubs me the wrong way, and im a huge rpg guy, played every pc rpg since 1997 basically, i wont post the list here again but i am a big rpg fan.  And this games does nothing for me, the story is bland, the characters are generic, the universe is much more "been there done that" than i thought it would be. Seriously its a huge deception. And i bought it on steam so i cant resell it.... dammit! "
    Yeah, I'm having similar feelings toward the game as well.  I don't mean to crap all over the game--I'm enjoying it enough to finish it, but I definitely plan on selling it the second I'm finished.
    i69edUrGpa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By i69edUrGpa

Got the deluxe edition sitting in my steam games, very excited to start it up
    Aeterna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Aeterna
    @demonbear said:
    " @TinBillies said:
    " @demonbear said:
    If your so a 'been there done that' type of guy then why are you playing computer games at all? "
    I like my pc. Simple. I know most of you won't agree with me but i don't mind. Dragon age is much, much more generic than i thought it would. And way to many moments ripped right out of LOTR. I mean i understand that tolkien basically wrote the basics of the fantasy setting and that its hard to be original in that genre, but dude. Talking tree, really? "
    I half-expected him to throw in a "Hroom a hroom." (That's probably not how you spell that, been a long time).
    TinBillies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TinBillies

@demonbear:
    I still stand by my first post.

giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By giyanks22
    @Aeterna said:
    " @demonbear said:
    " @TinBillies said:
    " @demonbear said:
    I like my pc. Simple. I know most of you won't agree with me but i don't mind. Dragon age is much, much more generic than i thought it would. And way to many moments ripped right out of LOTR. I mean i understand that tolkien basically wrote the basics of the fantasy setting and that its hard to be original in that genre, but dude. Talking tree, really? "
    I half-expected him to throw in a "Hroom a hroom." (That's probably not how you spell that, been a long time). "
    lol...totally
    demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By demonbear
    @Aeterna said:

" @demonbear said:

" @TinBillies said:

" @demonbear said:
    I half-expected him to throw in a "Hroom a hroom." (That's probably not how you spell that, been a long time). "
    Hahaha i totally get it, yeah i thought the same thing, plus theres lots of moments that are almost directly pulled of Lotr so yeah... so much for original writing.

Plus i was talking to a friend, and hes a "compulsive restarter" and he played all the origin stories and he said that after that, its the same game, almost zero customisation once you're out of your origin place. Thats quite sad. Its the illusion of choice rather than having a real choice with consequences.

@TinBillies said:
    "

@demonbear:
    I still stand by my first post.

"
      Its cool man, You'll probably love it. But at this point, i'm so dissapointed, i'm even having a hard time thinking i might finish this game one day. Maybe later but right now? Meh.

Oh also, pro tip : play a mage. If you don't, you're doing it wrong. Which is also very sad.
    Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By Cerza

Glad you are enjoying it. I love Dragon Age. I got it on launch day and have been playing it non stop ever since.

TinBillies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TinBillies
    @demonbear:
    Dont get me wrong... I like you, but why play a mage when I can just have one in my group?
    demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By demonbear
    @TinBillies said:
    " @demonbear: Dont get me wrong... I like you, but why play a mage when I can just have one in my group? "
    Because that mage might go away even if she likes you, depending on choices you do in the game and end up without an offensive mage.... yeah, real fun.
    giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By giyanks22
    @TinBillies said:
    " @demonbear: Dont get me wrong... I like you, but why play a mage when I can just have one in my group? "
    exactly my theory. And also the game is so deep, there's room for ton's of playthroughs with different characters and classes and races.
    Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Teran
    @nanikore: I bet you stop reading books after a page, and walk out of movies if the first 30 seconds doesn't interest you too. 

I wish I could be as assertive as you sir or maam.
    Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#25  Edited By Lies
    @demonbear said:
     Plus i was talking to a friend, and hes a "compulsive restarter" and he played all the origin stories and he said that after that, its the same game, almost zero customisation once you're out of your origin place. Thats quite sad. Its the illusion of choice rather than having a real choice with consequences.

That's how Bioware's always rolled- it's how pretty much everyone developing similar games works too. It's simply too costly to develop large portions of the game that will only be seen by a portion of your players. This even applies to a lot of the dialogue trees in the gae- you're given different choices, but they all get the same response. Not the sort of thing you notice the first time through, but on subsequent playthroughs it definitely stands out.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The game is hard as fuck, though.

Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Teran
    @demonbear: Your compulsive restarter friend has no idea what he's talking about.  The first section after the origins quest is the same for everyone but if he bothered to actually play past the tutorial he would see a world full of choices. 

On my second play through the story is playing out in a very different way.  The major points are the same but the players are very different.
    nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28  Edited By nanikore
    @Teran said:
    " @nanikore: I wish I could be as assertive as you sir or maam. "
    Yes, I get that a lot.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.