Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

Dragon Age: The Beef

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

Edited By sweep  Moderator

I recently started playing Dragon Age.

No Caption Provided
    By recently I mean yesterday, so i'm only about 10 hours into the game or so. I'm slightly at a loss for how to describe my experience so far. The voice acting is, as predicted, gratingly annoying. It may be a personal beef, but it's been pissing me off so much it's influencing my playing decisions. Party members are not chosen by the skills they can contribute to the team, more by how little they frustrate me as I venture forth; Those who annoy me least with their incessant whining. My wardog "trigger" has succeeded in securing a spot, mainly because he's one of the few characters that doesn't actually speak. Morrigan is there as well, if only for the side-boob action.

There's a lot of interesting chemistry between the characters. I'm a mage - instantly mistrusted by every paladin and priest. I have been playing the story as naturally as I can, but that often means I have little patience for the petty shit that is aimed at my group. As a result I will often tell people to fuck off and leave me alone instead of accepting their bullshit quests. It may not be the best way to get the most from the game but it's certainly the most honest and I value the ability to play the game so naturally. 

EDIT:

I think I should clarify my beef with the Voice Acting thing. The writing in Dragon Age is superb, there's a lot of great banter between the characters. I only dislike the way they sound. It just doesn't sound aesthetically right to me in a way that's difficult to explain. It's too wooden, there is very little emotion delivered in the majority of the acting. And there really isn't much variety to the tone from one character to the next, unless it's a weird monster or boss or something...

No Caption Provided
    I'm going through my World Of Warcraft withdrawal phase again, meaning I play WoW for another month to remind myself how much I hate it. Surprisingly Its actually a lot more enjoyable with the new patch. Grouping has been streamlined to be inter-server so I can simply sign up for a waiting list as a healer or DPS and will be dropped into the first available slot. I have been using it for a month and it's pretty painless, I don't usually have to wait longer than 5 minutes to a group for any instance. Being warped directly into the Instance (battleground style) is a nice touch as well, no more fucking around waiting for people to get to the right place in their respective servers. It makes leveling a lot more streamlined, and ultimately, enjoyable. I'm nearing level 80 for the first time in my life, I assume that the amount of co-ordination required to pull off a 25 man raid cannot simply be left to a random group selection, so the identity of the server remains as valued as ever.

There was a clip on family guy the other day which got me thinking.

Watch it here:

The joke is implying that Grand Theft Auto's influence on it's players has been completely over-exaggerated. I think? I was a little bit confused about this, it seemed more of an actual dig at GTA4 than anything. "Look, GTA encourages people to be criminals, lol" sort of thing - which doesn't seem in keeping with Family Guy's love for retro arcade games. I don't believe the writers intended the latter to be the message, but I think that's how it will be interpreted nonetheless. It's not a big deal, it's just an interesting look at a social weathervane. A lot of people still consider videogames a negative influence and this badly executed joke seems likely to confirm that rather than ridicule it. 

So fuck you, family guy.

IN OTHER NEWS:

I'm thinking about playing Darksiders. I heard it's not bad.

Thanks For Reading
    Love Sweep
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By sweep  Moderator

I recently started playing Dragon Age.

No Caption Provided
    By recently I mean yesterday, so i'm only about 10 hours into the game or so. I'm slightly at a loss for how to describe my experience so far. The voice acting is, as predicted, gratingly annoying. It may be a personal beef, but it's been pissing me off so much it's influencing my playing decisions. Party members are not chosen by the skills they can contribute to the team, more by how little they frustrate me as I venture forth; Those who annoy me least with their incessant whining. My wardog "trigger" has succeeded in securing a spot, mainly because he's one of the few characters that doesn't actually speak. Morrigan is there as well, if only for the side-boob action.

There's a lot of interesting chemistry between the characters. I'm a mage - instantly mistrusted by every paladin and priest. I have been playing the story as naturally as I can, but that often means I have little patience for the petty shit that is aimed at my group. As a result I will often tell people to fuck off and leave me alone instead of accepting their bullshit quests. It may not be the best way to get the most from the game but it's certainly the most honest and I value the ability to play the game so naturally. 

EDIT:

I think I should clarify my beef with the Voice Acting thing. The writing in Dragon Age is superb, there's a lot of great banter between the characters. I only dislike the way they sound. It just doesn't sound aesthetically right to me in a way that's difficult to explain. It's too wooden, there is very little emotion delivered in the majority of the acting. And there really isn't much variety to the tone from one character to the next, unless it's a weird monster or boss or something...

No Caption Provided
    I'm going through my World Of Warcraft withdrawal phase again, meaning I play WoW for another month to remind myself how much I hate it. Surprisingly Its actually a lot more enjoyable with the new patch. Grouping has been streamlined to be inter-server so I can simply sign up for a waiting list as a healer or DPS and will be dropped into the first available slot. I have been using it for a month and it's pretty painless, I don't usually have to wait longer than 5 minutes to a group for any instance. Being warped directly into the Instance (battleground style) is a nice touch as well, no more fucking around waiting for people to get to the right place in their respective servers. It makes leveling a lot more streamlined, and ultimately, enjoyable. I'm nearing level 80 for the first time in my life, I assume that the amount of co-ordination required to pull off a 25 man raid cannot simply be left to a random group selection, so the identity of the server remains as valued as ever.

There was a clip on family guy the other day which got me thinking.

Watch it here:

The joke is implying that Grand Theft Auto's influence on it's players has been completely over-exaggerated. I think? I was a little bit confused about this, it seemed more of an actual dig at GTA4 than anything. "Look, GTA encourages people to be criminals, lol" sort of thing - which doesn't seem in keeping with Family Guy's love for retro arcade games. I don't believe the writers intended the latter to be the message, but I think that's how it will be interpreted nonetheless. It's not a big deal, it's just an interesting look at a social weathervane. A lot of people still consider videogames a negative influence and this badly executed joke seems likely to confirm that rather than ridicule it. 

So fuck you, family guy.

IN OTHER NEWS:

I'm thinking about playing Darksiders. I heard it's not bad.

Thanks For Reading
    Love Sweep
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By Claude

We're playing Dragon Age almost the exact opposite. I always try and do the right thing. I will accept payment from time to time. The fact that my character doesn't talk is a little weird, making the emotional impact of conversations seem rather, well, awkward. I just got this big fucker to join my party. He reminds me of the big guy in The Green Mile, even his story is similar.

cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By cap123
    @Claude: sten is the shit. he's a dick at first but he's a teddy bear really.
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By sweep  Moderator

I also recruited sten. I gave him a sword. I wanted to let him loose on some more villagers. I particularly enjoyed threatening the reverend mother for his release. I'm trying to assemble the biggest group of angry bad-asses possible. Basically, the A-Team.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By Snail

That is an unusual sort of humor from Family Guy. They usually don't show any disdain for video games, and I thought that it was more likely to see them mocking Hillary Clinton for her protest against video games and their influence on people rather than "taking her side". Point being, I thought they were more likely to satirize the paranoia rather than taking the side of the paranoids.

And yes. You should totally play Darksiders.

Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Burns098356GX

Sounds like you're deliberately trying to find things to complain about. Its just my opinion, but the voice acting in DAO is some of the best I've seen. Although I hated how the Dwarves dont speak with that traditional Scottish accent.

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Cerza

LMAO at Family Guy. One of the few sparks of brilliance in an otherwise now dull show. Sorry to hear you don't like the voice acting in Dragon Age. The only character that really got under my skin was Alistair. He's so annoying. I suggest going to the dwarf city and getting Oghren. Steve Blum voiced him and he is a hoot.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By AndrewB
    @Cerza: I was wondering who Steve Blum played. Totally didn't realize it was Oghren. People make such a big deal about Keith David (or Nolan North), but Steve Blum does just about as much voice acting for not only games but both japanese and western anime TV and movies.
    End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By End_Boss

I'm keeping Morrigan around for much the same reasons you are. My other two party members are Shale (because I like him) and Wynne (because she's a fantastic healbot). My character tanks while Morrigan and Shale run DPS and Wynne keeps us alive. Just like WoW.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By Claude
    @Burns098356GX said:

" Sounds like you're deliberately trying to find things to complain about. Its just my opinion, but the voice acting in DAO is some of the best I've seen. Although I hated how the Dwarves dont speak with that traditional Scottish accent. "

I've lol a couple of times. Some of the dialog options are pretty funny. The writing seems natural too.

Maybe Sweep has a stick up his arse.
    maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By maxszy
    @Sweep: Criticizing the voice acting? Really? Dragon Age has some of the best voice acting ever done. Its fabulous! I realize that's just my opinion but really, many people would agree that the voice acting is just superb. One of the things that really shine about the game :-P
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#12  Edited By Yummylee
    @AndrewB said:
    "@Cerza: I was wondering who Steve Blum played. Totally didn't realize it was Oghren. People make such a big deal about Keith David (or Nolan North), but Steve Blum does just about as much voice acting for not only games but both japanese and western anime TV and movies. "

He was Gorim aswell, to which i still wish he could of joined up with me :(
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AndrewB
    @Abyssfull said:
    " @AndrewB said:
    "@Cerza: I was wondering who Steve Blum played. Totally didn't realize it was Oghren. People make such a big deal about Keith David (or Nolan North), but Steve Blum does just about as much voice acting for not only games but both japanese and western anime TV and movies. "
    He was Gorim aswell, to which i still wish he could of joined up with me :( "
    Wow, I totally have to play the Dwarven origin story now! He's the "Dwarven crafts! Fine Dwarven crafts, direct from Orzammar! You won't find better!" guy that you hear every time you walk by in Denerim, right? It's awesome how little events like that tie together in Dragon Age.
    Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#14  Edited By Video_Game_King
    @Sweep said:
    "So fuck you, family guy. "
    It took you an entire paragraph to say that? I've been thinking that for quite some time, and that clip can be summed up in two words: cheap laugh. Addendum: very.
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AndrewB
    @Video_Game_King said:
    " @Sweep said:
    "So fuck you, family guy. "
    It took you an entire paragraph to say that? I've been thinking that for quite some time, and that clip can be summed up in two words: cheap laugh. Addendum: very. "
    That can sum up pretty much everything pushed out by that show these days. But that's a whole different topic...
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By sweep  Moderator
    @Maxszy said:
    " @Sweep: Criticizing the voice acting? Really? Dragon Age has some of the best voice acting ever done. Its fabulous! I realize that's just my opinion but really, many people would agree that the voice acting is just superb. One of the things that really shine about the game :-P "
    Don't get me wrong, i think the writing is great. There's some hilarious banter being thrown back and forth. But the way the characters sound is what's really creeping me out. I openly admit I think it's a personal thing. I think the voices in this game just don't feel right for the atmosphere. I would have been a lot more happy if the Dwarves spoke Scottish, for example.

Maybe it's because i'm English and I am used to hearing different accents? Like when an American actor does an English accent in a film and it's fucking terrible... or vice versa. It's like listening to Hugh Laurie in House.

*shudders*

They just don't feel.... right.
    sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By sixghost

You seriously think the voice acting in DA:O is bad? No wonder you watch family guy.

raidingkvatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By raidingkvatch

To me that Family Guy joke was taking the piss out of the "videogames are evil!" reactionaries by showing how ridiculous it is to think someone's behaviour could be so radically altered by 8 hours of a videogame, but I can see how you could interpret it differently

phlegms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By phlegms

BOOBS

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#20  Edited By breadfan

I just started playing World of Warcraft a few weeks ago and I have a sort of mixed view of it.  Don't get me wrong it's fun and all, but I Just don't see anything to keep me playing for more than a month or two.

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#21  Edited By Oni

Dragon Age is one of the very few games where the characters are actual, you know, characters. As opposed to hollow shells that serve as the player's avatar.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By sweep  Moderator
    @Oni said:
    " Dragon Age is one of the very few games where the characters are actual, you know, characters. As opposed to hollow shells that serve as the player's avatar. "
    No doubt. I just don't understand why they have to sound so cringy though.
    maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By maxszy
    @Sweep: Well just personal opinion then I guess. Hehe. As I'm on the opposite of you. For instance, in my opinion if the only representation of Hugh Laurie one had was through House, I don't think they would know he was English. So...*shrug* all different opinions I guess! :-P
    Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By Steve_C

Morrigan's propensity to shit all over my decisions is quite annoying. I do like the characters regardless though. The banter between Alistair and Morrigan is great, and I like how Wynne's age is seemingly brought up in every conversation with her. Some of the VO might seem annoying, I can't remember, but the main cast are good.

I need to get back to Dragon Age, I might be about 20/30 hours in, but i've neglected it over the past few weeks in favour of Borderlands and then Bayonetta.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#25  Edited By ArbitraryWater

You don't like the voice acting? Strange. I find it to be extremely well done (for the most part). Certainly better than a lot of other RPGs. However, if that's your beef with the game then there is certainly a lot of steak waiting for you (Yes, I am fully aware of how retarded that analogy is), but I encourage you to keep playing because Dragon Age is awesome, voice acting or no.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Rowr

If you watch the new family guy, you will understand you took the gta4 joke out of context. Peter has amnesia and cant remember how to drive.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By penguindust

I'm about 25-30 hours into and maybe it's just my personality, but I am enjoying it fully.  I'm pretty easy going and fair minded in reality, so I tend to play my characters in games the same way.  Not really what you'd call "role playing" by the classic definition of the word.  Anyway, because of this, my human female mage is getting along fairly well with everyone.  Morrigan is a bit of a problem since I've played my character as more loyal to the Circle.  Whether or not that is wise will eventually be told, I guess.  I haven't started that quest chain yet.  Obviously, there are some quests which are harder to accomplish if  you don't have a knowledgeable member in your party.  I went to elf village and there is a "Survival" one there, I doubt I'll make much headway with.   With the rest of the party, I give them gifts every now and then to engender myself to them. 

I can't offer any suggestions about the voice acting since I don't have a problem with any of it.  I especially like listening to Leliana's slight French accent.  I think it adds to the historical character she seems to be loosely based off.  The background banter between party members in this game is a lot better I think than that of Mass Effect.  I laughed the other day when Leliana got up off the floor from death again and said "Why does that always seem to happen to me?"  In reality, I've moved her closer to the ranged rogue in skill-set so she rarely dies, but there were these traps and...well, anyway it made me giggle.  Morrigan's negativity irritates me more, but I like having a second mage in the squad for crowd-control.  Since my character is more righteous than she is, I sometimes find it difficult to maintain a positive relationship with her do to my decisions.  I'm sure a later play-through will change that when I go in a more amoral direction.  As for the other characters, I am quite surprised as to how much I am enjoying Alistair.  Unlike, Carth Onasi (KOTOR) or Kaidan Alenko (ME), I've liked having him around.  Other times, I usually ditch the guy character for the aliens and chicks, but he's more interesting than either of those two.  I haven't reached any romance/flirting opportunities yet, so I may change my mind if it feels uneven.

EDIT: I knew Hugh Laurie was English.  Before House was ever on, I used to watch Jeeves and Woosteron Masterpiece Theater.   And, he was the idiot king on Blackadder.

Lukaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#28  Edited By Lukaz
    @Sweep: Hugh Laurie seems so natural doing the American accent. I would actually prefer him doing that over his British one. It's just so bad ass! Maybe you have an ear for that kinda thing. Anyways, I'm Canadian so I'm quite familiar with the American accent and having it fairly prominent in the game didn't bother me. But I agree with you, Scotsmen make excellent voice actors for dwarves and the game would have been a little better if they had followed this tradition, for the lack of a better word.
    Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Oni
    @Sweep said:
    " @Oni said:
    " Dragon Age is one of the very few games where the characters are actual, you know, characters. As opposed to hollow shells that serve as the player's avatar. "
    No doubt. I just don't understand why they have to sound so cringy though. "
    I have no idea what that even means and your beef with the voice acting is incomprehensible to me.
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By sweep  Moderator
    @Oni said:
    " @Sweep said:
    " @Oni said:
    No doubt. I just don't understand why they have to sound so cringy though. "
    I have no idea what that even means and your beef with the voice acting is incomprehensible to me. "
    I means the voices don't seem right to me on a subconscious level and it makes me feel uncomfortable when I listen to the characters speak. It's an opinion, don't hurt me!
    Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Oni

I know, I was only saying I have no clue why you'd feel that way. It's just very strange! I haven't heard anyone say anything bad about DA's voices besides you. You are a strange boy.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By sweep  Moderator
    @Oni said:
    " I know, I was only saying I have no clue why you'd feel that way. It's just very strange! I haven't heard anyone say anything bad about DA's voices besides you. You are a strange boy. "
    Strange like a FOX!!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.