Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

Instant impressions (spoilerfree!). Just finished Dragon Age.

jimbo_n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

User Lists: 7

Edited By jimbo_n

As this cold im coming down with is slowly taking me over more and more I managed to finish Dragon Age.  
    Somehow I can´t get myself to write a review but I still feel that somehow this blog entry will be about the same lenght as one.

Denerim
    Denerim
    The story wrapped up waaay to quickly and the sense of epicness and a long journey that was present in the golden age of Baldurs Gate is left out. The game lingers a bit much on political intrigue and not enough on going on an actual journey, Lord of the Rings style. I draw this comparison since the game feels alot like Tolkiens masterpiece when it comes to storytelling and overarcing theme. 
    I also thought that the world felt extremely static. Walking past the same vendors saying the same thing over and over and walking through the capital of the land with only a handful of people inhabiting it.  
    I guess this is a product of modern games. The technical difficulties with populating a world with enough people is probably harder than one assumes when playing a game like this. But more background noise and enviromental sounds wouldnt have hurted it either even if the stuff that actually is there sounds sweet. 
    The world also completely lacks any kind of day/night cycle and most importantly weather. Theres some snowfall in one particular area and some rain in one single cutscene but there was abviously not alot of work put into making the world feel as alive as possible.  

Party Select Screen
    Party Select Screen
    Graphics lack detail and polish, at least from the perspective I´m coming from. The 360 version dosent look very good. The environments seriously lack detail and both foliage and textures really dosent do anything to help the cause. 
    The rest of the graphics are very uneven. Some characters look like they´re from an Xbox 1 game while some looks really sharp. Some clothing and armor have textures more muddy than my new high res Steam version of Quake while some looks superb.  
    Character faces looks good overall but feels a bit stale in some situations that would benefit from waay more dramatic expressions and it seems like almost all people of the same gender shares bodies. Theres a male and a female version of every piece of clothing in the land and when someone wears it their body morphs to look exacly like everyone else of the same gender wearing those same clothes. Its 1 body with different heads. 
    These are a minor issues in the grand scheme of things but its so painfully obvious where corners where cut to allow the game to find its way to stores. Corners are cut in pretty much every aspect of the visual presentation even down to sometimes glaring glitches, framerate hickups, artifacts in prerendered cutscenes and goofy looking body animations. 
    Walking through a "forest" that consists of a path with muddy textures and 4 trees, 1 piece of low res grass and a painfully "backdrop" looking sky while enduring wierd animations, bad looking models and a controlscheme that allows for no precision at all at times are things you cant ignore forever in such a long game. 

Beard of the year !
    Beard of the year !
    BioWare suceeded with the audio all the way tho. Voiceacting is probably the best of the year after Uncharted 2 (they even share a voiceactor between the games) and the music is dynamic and well written even if it lacks any kind of memorable and/or emotional tunes. 
    They also deserve praise for the choices you get to make throughout the game. The things you can do are mindblowing. There are so many paths to take through so many messed up situations and its never as easy as good and evil. You encounter situations where theres simply different points to view them. People have different opinions and different ways of viewing the world. Its never easy to choose a side and I often found myself thinking heavily on even the smallest of decisions and even regretting things I made earlier in the campaign. 
    Its roleplaying at its finest. You get to tailor who you want to be and how the world sees you like no other RPG in recent memory. You get to choose how you want to act and what you want to do, not the developers. I even managed to bend some stuff in totally crazy ways to double cross several people and even fool myself out of a reward in the end. 

Bloodied Desire Demon
    Bloodied Desire Demon
    Its amazing what you get to do through the power of dialogue trees (even if the conversations drag a bit in some cases) in BioWares latest and thats really the lasting impression the game left on me. 
    I feel like the game misses ALOT of opportunities that could have made it way more memorable and I also feel like the game could have embraced the mature rating even more. The game feels like its still censoring itself at certain points where it wouldnt have felt awkward or disgusting to let it go all the way. 
    I never feel enveloped in the world itself and I feel like some things could have used some more dev time when it comes to the presentation (even on the PC wich I´ve played some of aswell) but somehow, after about 30 hours with 1 DLC completed (casual difficulty, a decent number of sidequests not completed), I want to do it all again and see how I will affect those around me if I decide to behave differently and make different decisions. 
    I feel really bad about some of the stuff I did this time around and it eventually robbed me of several party members that I really wanted to get to know better. I also managed to rob myself of any kind of romance in the game. 
    So i´ll probably jump in for another round of this one, tho maybe not right away. 

To round things up its not fair to compare it to Baldurs Gate. It was a different time back then. Games where made with less impact on economy and with less man hours. We were all much younger and played games in a completely different mindset than we do now. You cant compare the mindset and the way games were back then to how they are now. 
    Dragon Age stands as an RPG of today even if its made in a very BioWare-like way. As such I couldnt help but change the way I looked at the game as I played it. I went in wanting to enjoy it like I enjoyed BG2 back when I was a youngster but lets face it, thats impossible. 

Hmm, I might end up posting some version of this as a review after all.  
    If you stuck around all the way down to these lines, thanks for reading and feel free to comment!
    jimbo_n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By jimbo_n

As this cold im coming down with is slowly taking me over more and more I managed to finish Dragon Age.  
    Somehow I can´t get myself to write a review but I still feel that somehow this blog entry will be about the same lenght as one.

Denerim
    Denerim
    The story wrapped up waaay to quickly and the sense of epicness and a long journey that was present in the golden age of Baldurs Gate is left out. The game lingers a bit much on political intrigue and not enough on going on an actual journey, Lord of the Rings style. I draw this comparison since the game feels alot like Tolkiens masterpiece when it comes to storytelling and overarcing theme. 
    I also thought that the world felt extremely static. Walking past the same vendors saying the same thing over and over and walking through the capital of the land with only a handful of people inhabiting it.  
    I guess this is a product of modern games. The technical difficulties with populating a world with enough people is probably harder than one assumes when playing a game like this. But more background noise and enviromental sounds wouldnt have hurted it either even if the stuff that actually is there sounds sweet. 
    The world also completely lacks any kind of day/night cycle and most importantly weather. Theres some snowfall in one particular area and some rain in one single cutscene but there was abviously not alot of work put into making the world feel as alive as possible.  

Party Select Screen
    Party Select Screen
    Graphics lack detail and polish, at least from the perspective I´m coming from. The 360 version dosent look very good. The environments seriously lack detail and both foliage and textures really dosent do anything to help the cause. 
    The rest of the graphics are very uneven. Some characters look like they´re from an Xbox 1 game while some looks really sharp. Some clothing and armor have textures more muddy than my new high res Steam version of Quake while some looks superb.  
    Character faces looks good overall but feels a bit stale in some situations that would benefit from waay more dramatic expressions and it seems like almost all people of the same gender shares bodies. Theres a male and a female version of every piece of clothing in the land and when someone wears it their body morphs to look exacly like everyone else of the same gender wearing those same clothes. Its 1 body with different heads. 
    These are a minor issues in the grand scheme of things but its so painfully obvious where corners where cut to allow the game to find its way to stores. Corners are cut in pretty much every aspect of the visual presentation even down to sometimes glaring glitches, framerate hickups, artifacts in prerendered cutscenes and goofy looking body animations. 
    Walking through a "forest" that consists of a path with muddy textures and 4 trees, 1 piece of low res grass and a painfully "backdrop" looking sky while enduring wierd animations, bad looking models and a controlscheme that allows for no precision at all at times are things you cant ignore forever in such a long game. 

Beard of the year !
    Beard of the year !
    BioWare suceeded with the audio all the way tho. Voiceacting is probably the best of the year after Uncharted 2 (they even share a voiceactor between the games) and the music is dynamic and well written even if it lacks any kind of memorable and/or emotional tunes. 
    They also deserve praise for the choices you get to make throughout the game. The things you can do are mindblowing. There are so many paths to take through so many messed up situations and its never as easy as good and evil. You encounter situations where theres simply different points to view them. People have different opinions and different ways of viewing the world. Its never easy to choose a side and I often found myself thinking heavily on even the smallest of decisions and even regretting things I made earlier in the campaign. 
    Its roleplaying at its finest. You get to tailor who you want to be and how the world sees you like no other RPG in recent memory. You get to choose how you want to act and what you want to do, not the developers. I even managed to bend some stuff in totally crazy ways to double cross several people and even fool myself out of a reward in the end. 

Bloodied Desire Demon
    Bloodied Desire Demon
    Its amazing what you get to do through the power of dialogue trees (even if the conversations drag a bit in some cases) in BioWares latest and thats really the lasting impression the game left on me. 
    I feel like the game misses ALOT of opportunities that could have made it way more memorable and I also feel like the game could have embraced the mature rating even more. The game feels like its still censoring itself at certain points where it wouldnt have felt awkward or disgusting to let it go all the way. 
    I never feel enveloped in the world itself and I feel like some things could have used some more dev time when it comes to the presentation (even on the PC wich I´ve played some of aswell) but somehow, after about 30 hours with 1 DLC completed (casual difficulty, a decent number of sidequests not completed), I want to do it all again and see how I will affect those around me if I decide to behave differently and make different decisions. 
    I feel really bad about some of the stuff I did this time around and it eventually robbed me of several party members that I really wanted to get to know better. I also managed to rob myself of any kind of romance in the game. 
    So i´ll probably jump in for another round of this one, tho maybe not right away. 

To round things up its not fair to compare it to Baldurs Gate. It was a different time back then. Games where made with less impact on economy and with less man hours. We were all much younger and played games in a completely different mindset than we do now. You cant compare the mindset and the way games were back then to how they are now. 
    Dragon Age stands as an RPG of today even if its made in a very BioWare-like way. As such I couldnt help but change the way I looked at the game as I played it. I went in wanting to enjoy it like I enjoyed BG2 back when I was a youngster but lets face it, thats impossible. 

Hmm, I might end up posting some version of this as a review after all.  
    If you stuck around all the way down to these lines, thanks for reading and feel free to comment!
    SuperBuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By SuperBuster

Gah!! I shouldn't have read this. When people start pointing out what's wrong with a game I start noticing them and don't enjoy the game as much as I would have. I will never be able to look at the forrest environments the same way again. Good semi-review though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So you played on the 360?

jimbo_n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jimbo_n
    @Khann:
    Yes. And some on the PC.
    Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Teran

I disagree with almost every negative comment you have... but I played fully on the pc version.

Your comment about walking through a forest was particularly off base as there is nothing in the game that resembles that.

This game does everything Baldur's Gate did better except the ending sequence.  I was disappointed to find all my epic journeys amounted to a very finite number of benefits in the end rather than providing a more epic narrative.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What 'weird' animations are you referring to exactly?

jimbo_n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jimbo_n
    @Khann:
    Characters move and animate like stiff puppets and lack fluid motions in many cases. Finishing moves in combat is an exception tho. Very cool looking. On the other hand they are scripted so not really the same category. 

@Teran:  
    Are you saying there is nothing that is supposed to resemble a forest in the game. In that case I have no idea what you´re talking about. If you mean that the forest areas felt lush, free roaming and was full of foliage and well modelled trees for you then I´m glad you enjoyed it from your point of view.
    NoXious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By NoXious

Having played Icewind Dale 2 a month or so before DA released I can say that if I compare it, it's improved compared to that !

It's the story I love in these things and DA:O excels at it, shame it is rushed at the end - but good nonetheless! 
    [With every choice I made I saved before because I dreaded what could possibly happen, no game has ever done that. That's quite a feat.]

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.