Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon Age: Origins

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 03, 2009

Dragon Age: Origins is an epic fantasy role-playing game featuring a rich story, personality-driven characters, and tactical, bloody combat. It is considered a spiritual successor to the Baldur's Gate series.

So how, in your opinion, does this compare to Bioware's other RPGs?

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By atejas
    Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Cerza

I think it's somewhere between A and B myself. I don't think it's as good as Baulder's Gate, but I do think it is a damn fine spiritual successor and as good of a successor as you can get today. The game has it's issues, but it's amazing none the less. I don't know if I'd say it's better than KOTOR or Mass Effect, because both of those games did some things differently on the mechanical side of things that I liked better than Dragon Ages approach in certain areas. However, I do think Dragon Age Origins is one of Bioware's best and one of the best games to come out this decade. I had a little over 90 hours on the clock the first time I beat it and it's been a long time since I had a single player game that had me happily put in that much time. Not even Persona 3 or 4 had me putting in that many hours, as I finished those around the 80 hour mark.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Jeust

Definitly C.

Hey and Jade Empire is a great game!

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By atejas

Never played it, but I hear it's one of their weakest games overall. 

And I myself would definitely say B. Although it is sort of hovering around KoTOR as far as mechanics go.....

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#5  Edited By MachoFantastico

The choices weren't great to be fair mate, it's up there with Knights of the Old Republic and Mass Effect for me. Think it's a great game, another example of why Bioware are the current kings of the RPG.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Red12b
    @atejas said:
    " Never played it, but I hear it's one of their weakest games overall. "
    Then why did you put it as one of their worst It does not deserve to be thrown in with Sonic, 
    Play it for yourself before formulating an opinion, 
    Also, Hamz would cane your arse if he saw what you said about Jade empire, Check the main contributor,
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By pause422

Its a raelly great game, I would say B..though without the inclusion of "doesnt live up", it surpassed my expectations actually.

Vigilance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Vigilance

I say "B", though I also would not have added the "doesn't live up" tag. 

I didn't expect it to beat KOTOR, my personal favorite Bioware game.  

It's a shade better than Mass Effect, and I loved me some Mass Effect.  

So basically, my top 5 BW games would be: 

1. KOTOR 
    2. Dragon Age 
    3. Mass Effect 
    4. Baldur's Gate 2 
    5. Baldur's Gate

Mgsfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Mgsfreak

I played it round a friends for about 35 minutes, thought it was really lame. Choose an elve, storywise seemed a bit too geeky and camp for my liking. Combat was pretty good though. I say D and want a KOTOR3 dammit!

lebkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By lebkin

Right now, I think it is their best game.  But I just finished it last night, after 56 hours in two weeks.  It is hard to have great perspective from that close.

But I felt that Mass Effect is a better overall game than Jade Empire, which was an improvement over KOTOR, which was superior to Baldur's Gate.  With the exception of Sonic RPG, I feel that Bioware has consistently gotten better at making games as they went along.  Settings and characters can sway you to prefer a particular game's story over another, but I think the core structure, the "game" part, is better with each new creation.

Note that I played Dragon Age on the PC (along with most of their other games).  So that may color my perception.  I know that the experience on the consoles is quite a bit different.  For example, buckybit's view that the gameplay reminds him of KOTOR and Mass Effect at first seemed odd.  Dragon Age's overhead, tactic combat seems nothing like those two.  But that is a PC only experience.  Which is sad, because it is by far my preferred way to play.

Magicpants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Magicpants

..I refuse to have a bioware rpg discussion thread without the mention of neverwinter nights, which was one of my favorite bioware rpgs.  I concede that the solo campaign was a bit dry (and not even remotely comparable to dragon age, mass effect, KotOR, or even BG1&2), but the user made content/online setup was amazing: great modding community (the toolset was awesome), helpful players, an all around good time.  Oh right, forgot I was supposed to cast my vote. I'd say A or B for overall RPG experience (immersion, gameplay, enjoyability).

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By maxszy

I selected A but would have rather had something between A and B. It is a fabulous game, lives up to their standard of quality is a perfect for a spiritual successor of Baulder's Gate 2. That being said, I don't think think its their best game ever. But its up there with the rest of their amazing games. It is definitely their best piece of work recently...but they have had so many successful RPGs in their lifetime (everyone one of their games really) I don't know if you can say it is the best ever. So yes...its is great, lives up to the expectations but I think this poll needed another option or two.

Avatar image for martinvsyolatengo
    martinvsyolatengo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's most similar to KOTOR in terms of gameplay, but I haven't played any of the BG games. I don¿t want to compare it to Mass Effect, both are excellent games, and BioWare is certainly my favorite developer. 

:)

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I voted for B, but again I wouldn't say "it didn't live up to promises".  I thought it was excellent, and very much achieved what it set out to do.  It may not have been as good as Baldurs Gate, but it was still spectacular.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By Jeust
    @buckybit said:
    " I am very interested in your opinions (keep 'em coming). 

I haven't bought/played it yet. Need to finish other games first. I bought all Bioware/BlackIsle(!) games - never finished any. I am now starting to 'get into' Mass Effect (started it the 3rd time). 

My fear about Dragon Age is: It would remind me too much of Kotor gameplay (like Mass Effect does) while boring me with Elves/Dwarf stuff (I confess, I am on the Fantasy fatigue train). George R.R. Martin's "Song of Ice & Fire" is gritty & dark. The characters & dialog I have seen so far from Dragon Age recalls too much the Jade Empire / Kotor stuff. "
    If you haven't finish any of their games, don't expect to finish this one.

It has longggggg conversations and many details in them, that though they add to the experience and the world, are excessive and become bothersome.

It also is a bit decieving, giving you the impression that a task will take a short time, when in reality it takes forever to complete. At least for me... 

The gameplay is better discribed as being an western version of the final fantasy XII, with gambits included and everything.
    Valames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Valames

I had to vote for A. This is indeed the most entertaining story I have ever experienced in a video-game. And guess what?! When I play through it again, the story will be a great deal different. And I am willing to predict that the third time will yield quite a different tale as well.

Lowbrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By Lowbrow

As a pure PC fantasy RPG, I don't think I've played anything better than Dragon Age at this point.

NWN were all pretty good games, but the interface, skills choices, class customizations didn't exactly make it easy for players to at least get an idea of how to delve into the game. I'm pretty stoked that they dropped the DnD liscence, because back in the day, reading the stats pages of the back of the Neverwinter Nights manuals was like trying to read the Chinese dictionary, it could get so convaluded.

This system is still deep, but this is explained enough through the game itself to make jumping into the game a bit less of a chore.

Oh yea, and then there's the crazy amount of literature and background story that they've fleshed out for the universe, making you feel like you're part of a world with a far reaching, and crazy history.
    delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By delta_ass

The graphics really bring this game down. As well as the fact that it demands a lot of pausing in combat. 

1. KOTOR
    2. Mass Effect
    3. Dragon Age Origins
    4. Baldur's Gate 2

Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Teran
    @Mgsfreak: You played the game for 35 minutes, you don't get a vote.
    jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jmrwacko

I think it's the best, second to Mass Effect. Yes, I liked Mass Effect more than KOTOR. Mainly because of the characters.

Also, I had MASSIVE fantasy setting fatigue before starting Dragon Age, but the characters and dialogue in Dragon Age along with the subtle changes from D&D fantasy you wouldn't have expected really make it a fresh experience. Honestly, Mass Effect only feels slightly more original than DA:O, and that's saying a lot considering DA:O is stock dark fantasy fare.

boj4ngles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By boj4ngles
    Avatar image for holdenlafayette
    HoldenLaFayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By HoldenLaFayette

I played Baldur's Gate 2, and I feel like Dragon Age is as close to a 3D transition from that game as we're going to get. Haven't finished Dragon Age yet, but I'm already enjoying it more than BG2.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By maxszy
    @Delta_Ass said:

" The graphics really bring this game down. As well as the fact that it demands a lot of pausing in combat.   1. KOTOR 2. Mass Effect 3. Dragon Age Origins 4. Baldur's Gate 2 "

Bleh graphics. Shouldn't have any affect on whether you like this game or not, or how good it is. Plus, the graphics aren't even that bad!! I think the critiquing of them is off base. Sure you could say "oh but this is a modern game!" I would argue that you need to remember that this game was started about 4 years ago I believe if I remember right. The graphics are just fine, even if they may not look Mass Effect good. The story is also about 3 times longer...you've got to make a sacrifice somewhere, as all those take huge time investments. Plus, graphics really should be last on a list of important concepts.

@boj4ngles said:

" Since other people are including Black Isle Studios as Bioware, I'm assuming I can too: 

1.  Planescape: Torment 

2.  Baldur's Gate 2 

3.  Baldur's Gate 1 

4.  Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 

5.  Dragon Age: Origins  I'm a little dissapointed to see that most of you guys have not played the classics.  Or maybe you weren't alive when they came out (which is forgiveable). "

Even if they were too young when the classics came out, I would argue those who haven't played them should go back and do so. Planscape: Torment is still a fucking brilliant game today, and would so be worth it to play if you haven't. Even if someone is to young, knowing the history by going back and playing the wonderful games that set up the foundations for Dragon Age to be created, would be worthwhile I think. :)
    ioannisdenton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25  Edited By ioannisdenton

i am getting this game tomoroow for my ps3! i love all bioware games, the have this special bioware formula which never fails!

Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Teran
    @boj4ngles: I have played their classics however they all fall short of DAO in my opinion.  Individually these classic games may do certain things better than DAO in terms of story or character development but over all I feel that DAO is their best game.  It may not have the story of X or the gameplay elements of Y, or the theme of Z, but over all production values, story elements, and gameplay mechanics mesh together in ways none of their previous games have. 

They have also learned a lot in terms of creating a powerful narrative.  Earlier today in fact I was talking to someone and through the course of the conversation the option to kill him came up.  I figured this would initiate combat and I would kill him and be done with it... but that is not what happened.  Instead, my character picked up a knife and stabbed him in the throat which really fit better for that situation than going to the combat and dispatching him that way. 

I'm currently midway through my second play through and it almost feels like a different game.  I don't mean the story is slightly different like the lightside/darkside stuff in kotor that amounts to a couple different conversation options and a different ending, I mean the things I can say are different, the potential results of an encounter are different, who you recruit to help against the darkspawn changes... The more I discover, the more epic this game feels and the more work I know had to have gone into it.  Even my party members seem to have slightly different personalities. 

I honestly feel that this is their masterpiece.  I don't know if they will ever top it, but of course I hope they will.
    Mangaminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#27  Edited By Mangaminx

Definately my favourite Bioware game to date and I've played every single one of their titles. It delivers an experience better than Baldurs Gate 2 purely due to the character interaction surpassing it. The combat was great, the difficulty appropriately challenging and the story while cliché was highly competent and well thought out. 

Dragon Age, Baldurs Gate 2, Jade Empire, KOTOR, Mass Effect are now my current fave Bioware titles top 5.

lebkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By lebkin
    @boj4ngles said:
    " Since other people are including Black Isle Studios as Bioware, I'm assuming I can too:
    This confused me so much I wanted to respond.  Who included a non-Bioware Black Isle Studio game before you posted? Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 were both Bioware developed, Black Isle/Interplay published.

That said, Black Isle has its own great legacy, of which I agree Planescape Torment is king of the hill (followed closely by the first two Fallout games).  Their original games should be played, just like Biowares.  True classics.  The key members also went on to become Obsidian, who has continued that fine tradition of working with Bioware to great success. 
    mindphlux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By mindphlux

You know what's missing? Multiplayer. I fondly remember Baldur's Gate for the awesome LAN multiplayer sessions I took part in. So no, this can't be Bioware's best for me, but it's pretty good in it's own right.

SuperDanks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SuperDanks

C for now, but I am only 10 hours in.  I like the combat, but just feel there is way way too many dialogue scenes.  The main story, albeit predictable, is still a good one.  I actually would like it more on the PC I think - got it on the 360 now.  Regardless - it's an RPG so I'm glad to put in some time.
    boj4ngles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By boj4ngles
    @Teran:   
    I agree that DA:O has the best presentation of narrative of all their work.  They really are light years ahead of the competition in that sense.  Even Mass Effect (which I think was overrated) had me very impressed over its story telling mechanics. 

The reason DA:O doesn't rise to the top in my own humble opinion is that its world felt a little too small and a little uninhabited.  The cities felt like they weren't bustling enough, the wilderness wasn't as teeming with life as I would have hoped, and the world in general just didn't seem as grand as BG and KOTOR.  The exception was Orzammar which seemed more or less perfect with its rich flavor.  Denerim and Redcliffe on the other hand were awesome, but didn't quite match up against Baldur's Gate or Taris.  I also agree that DA:O is a masterpiece, but Bioware has set there own standard extremely high.  I'd say I can't wait to see what comes next but I'm still enthralled with their newest offering!     

@lebkin:

Aaarrgh you're right.  For some reason I thought somebody mentioned Icewindale before me.  Well I guess my list stays the same except Torment gets knocked off the top.   
    Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#32  Edited By Jeffsekai

Its amazing, and Jade Empire was great why the hate

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.