Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dragon's Dogma

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released May 22, 2012

Capcom makes an ambitious undertaking with this 2012 Open World Action-RPG.

Only one character you say?

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Sterling

So that is pretty lame. You can only have on character per profile. If you make a new one it will overwrite your current one. This is dumb.

I wanted to make a new character to play around with the stamina/height/weight stuff. Also make a female character as I went male for my first (apparently my only one).

I know I can use another profile, but that is lame they didn't allow the game to have mulitple save slots so you could create more than one. Who only puts a single save slot in a full $60 console game? I mean really Capcom. One save file.

My one and only complaint about the game.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By project343

It is pretty dumb for an open world RPG. Then again, I (personally) can't see myself switching between characters after I've finished the game--I just plan on rolling another class and having another go.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By donchipotle

You can remake your character in the game, though. So you can still do that. It will just cost you Rift Crystals

winsord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By winsord

You can change the physical appearance of your pawn and your main character by getting the Art of Metamorphosis for 5,000 RC and the game is pretty lenient about allowing you to change vocations whenever you're at an inn. I do agree that one save is a bit of a bummer, but at least you can try everything out on your one character.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#5  Edited By Yummylee

Ordinarily I'd be a little peeved myself as well, because I generally like to role play my characters in these sorts of games and would create alternate characters to role play a different scheme of variables--Dragon Age: Origins as such was almost the death of me... But given how weak everything is concerning both the narrative and the characters, I really don't care. It's almost like an MMO in this regard.

Blind_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Blind_3

I have to admit I was pretty bummed out regarding as well.

However from a technical standpoint it would be tough to allow for more than one character, once you take into consideration on how the pawn system works and how crazy people would get with creating new characters and pawns, the server would be over-saturated with a bunch of pawns from the same player.

Same thing with only allowing one save, it constantly uploads your pawn data to the server. It would be hard to keep track of which save file to upload to the server.

In the end it looks like it was a conscious design decision and (disappointing as it may be) kind of makes sense in the grand scheme of things.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Morrow

I thought the same. With such a detailed character creator, I would have loved playing around with it and create different characters instead of having the opportunity to just change one.

crazyleaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By crazyleaves
    @Winsord

You can change the physical appearance of your pawn and your main character by getting the Art of Metamorphosis for 5,000 RC and the game is pretty lenient about allowing you to change vocations whenever you're at an inn. I do agree that one save is a bit of a bummer, but at least you can try everything out on your one character.

How do you get it? I'm lvl 32 and just me the Duke, is it anytime, or story sensitive? No spoilers please!
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Yummylee

@crazyleaves said:

@Winsord

How do you get it? I'm lvl 32 and just me the Duke, is it anytime, or story sensitive? No spoilers please!

There's a guy next to the rift stone in the Encampment--basically the second town you visit--who sells customisation stuff for rift points. I think it's glitched, though, because any items I buy off him don't show up in my inventory. Unless they've been placed somewhere else, though they're not in any of my pawns' inventories nor my storage, either. =S

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Sterling

He only sells things to change your eye and skin color as far as I know. And once you buy it, it changes instantly, its not something that is added to your inventory.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Yummylee

@oulzac said:

He only sells things to change your eye and skin color as far as I know. And once you buy it, it changes instantly, its not something that is added to your inventory.

That can't be true. I bought a dye to turn my character's hair sky blue or something, and nothing happened.

winsord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By winsord

@Yummylee said:

@oulzac said:

That can't be true. I bought a dye to turn my character's hair sky blue or something, and nothing happened.

I know that at least for the Art of Metamorphosis, you have to go to the main menu to enter the character creator again. You might have to use that menu option in order to use the special colours and the like.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Sterling

@Yummylee said:

@oulzac said:

For hair stuff you have to go to the barber shop.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Yummylee

@Winsord said:

@Yummylee said:

@oulzac said:

I know that at least for the Art of Metamorphosis, you have to go to the main menu to enter the character creator again. You might have to use that menu option in order to use the special colours and the like.

I was going to say, ''But that's so weird!'', and then I remembered what game I'm playing. So alritey then!

@oulzac said:

@Yummylee said:

@oulzac said:

Are you being serious?.. I genuinely can't quite tell O_o

EDIT: I only ask because I haven't encountered a barber shop across the 30 or so hours I've played thus far.

Totori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Totori

@oulzac said:

no that's wrong. those items unlock those options at the barber shop.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Sterling

@Yummylee said:

@oulzac said:

@Yummylee said:

@oulzac said:

Are you being serious?.. I genuinely can't quite tell O_o

Quite. I bought some hair stuff last night, and went to the barber shop in Gran Soren, its north(? only road leading away from it) of the ale house in the town square. There you can change things for your character like hair, makeup etc. Maybe this is also where the eye and skin color come into play also? I don't see anything to do with the character creator in any menu either, so no sure where you guys are seeing that.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Yummylee

@oulzac: Hmm, well thanks for that. Honestly I'm not surprised I missed it; I only found the forgery guy who sells the hearthstone equivalents about 2 hours ago across my 30 or so hours playtime...

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Sterling

@Totori: That is what I just thought of, but I didn't see them there last night. Probably because I didn't buy any of that stuff, just the hair stuff.

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Coafi

@crazyleaves said:

@Winsord

Yeah, where does one find the Art of Metamorphosis?

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Sterling

The rift shop sells it. (the guy next to the rift stone at the encampment.) But from what I have read it only shows up pretty late in the games story.

The official guide doesn't say when you get access to it. But it does say there are two of these items. 'Art of' only allows you to make a change once. Then in NG+ you can buy 'Secret of Metamorphosis' which will allow you to make as many changes as you want whenever you want.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TentPole

@oulzac: You have access to it as soon as you can afford it. I got one 3 hours into the game.

It is from an npc next to the rift stone in the encampment.

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Coafi

@oulzac: Thanks a lot, I found it! All I need are RC points.

Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Mrsignerman44

For anyone who didn't know, if you're on the 360 you can actually have more than one character. You can save one character to your harddrive, one to the xbox itself, one to cloud storage, and any additional characters can be saved to a usb. I keep remaking characters though, it's a problem I have hahaha

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By LikeaSsur

@Mrsignerman44 said:

For anyone who didn't know, if you're on the 360 you can actually have more than one character. You can save one character to your harddrive, one to the xbox itself, one to cloud storage, and any additional characters can be saved to a usb. I keep remaking characters though, it's a problem I have hahaha

Quoting for emphasis, this is a wonderful thing that circumnavigates the "Only one character" problem.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Morrow

@oulzac said:

I know I can use another profile

Will this affect trophies? Or will they still update to your usual PSN ID? Also, what about the trophies on the other profile you have already unlocked?

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Sterling

@Morrow: Playing under a different profile would be a different PSN ID. Each profile you create has its own ID, so it would be a whole new set of trophies.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Morrow

@oulzac:

That means if I create a new profile on my PS3 and would try to update my trophies I wouldn't be able to log in with my usual PSN ID?

mdslac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mdslac

This all sounds incredibly stupid and archaic... yet strangely intriguing.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Sterling

@Morrow: You can actually set a second profile to login to your main PSN ID (you can set a profile to login to any PSN ID that already exists if you have the email and password, this is how game sharing works). So you could double up on the trophies, but it wouldn't count once you sync with PSN as you can only unlock each trophy once on their servers per PSN ID. Not sure how capcom would handle your pawn though, since that is via PSN ID. That might overwrite your first one.

And if you did a second PSN account it would be like a whole new fresh account, no game to load no trophies already unlocked.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Morrow

@oulzac:

Ah, ok. So If I get that right this means if I should advance further in the game on my secondary profile and gain additional trophies, they would still be added to my original PSN account if I just log in with it? Sounds good :)

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Sterling

Only if it is using the same PSN ID. But then you run the risk of overwriting your main pawn.

Bubbameister33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Bubbameister33

@oulzac:

I haven't started NG+ yet but the guy in the Encampment has both available right now, I did beat the main though. So it might only become available once you beat the dragon.

thebigJ_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By thebigJ_A

@oulzac said:

The rift shop sells it. (the guy next to the rift stone at the encampment.) But from what I have read it only shows up pretty late in the games story.

The official guide doesn't say when you get access to it. But it does say there are two of these items. 'Art of' only allows you to make a change once. Then in NG+ you can buy 'Secret of Metamorphosis' which will allow you to make as many changes as you want whenever you want.

It was in his inventory the very 1st time I got to the encampment, at the beginning of the game (which was just two days ago, for me). Scroll down past the hair color stuff.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#34  Edited By Seppli

Found out the hard way today. *Lost* my lvl 91 strider build. Then again, attribute growth is dependent on vocation, and I was planning to go into a more magical vocation for my consequent playthrough. Mystic Knight to be specific, so starting new is cool with me.

Still kinda fucked, losing the character altogether, including rift crystals (which Capcom sells for IRL-money). I even lost Hard Mode priviledges (apparently that's a NG+ only option).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.