Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dungeon Siege III

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jun 17, 2011

Dungeon Siege 3 is the third instalment of the Dungeon Siege franchise. It tells the tale of the fallen 10th Legion taking back the Kingdom of Ehb from the popular Azunite champion Jeyne Kassynder.

Just spent the last hour...

LIquid1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

Edited By LIquid1024

...watching the quick look of Dungeon Siege III

I like what i see, but, and this is a big but, it looks nothing like the old ones.  I guess a game does have to evolve and become new if it is to hold weight in a franchise.  But Dungeon Siege and Dungeon Siege II had a lot of really great qualities that i was looking forward too in the third installment.  Where is my pack mule?  Wheres my progressive stat leveling.  It seems like everything is being condensed into something simple.  This seems to be the trend now a days.  Another example i can think of off the top of my head is Patrician III vs. Patrician IV.   Do developers think that they need to make things simpler to hold a our attention span. 

Now, by no means, I am not saying that I'm not looking forward to Dungeon Siege III.  I was just hoping for more of the things that made the previous installment great.  Frankly I think they could have released the game under a completely different name and it would have been successful in its own right.  Now that i think of it, I'm sure its because it was ported over to console.  When you have a controller vs a keyboard/mouse you are greatly limited in what you can do, and they aren't going to make multiple games under the same name to accommodate the different peripherals.  Especially when consoles can make a developer so much more money.
    LIquid1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By LIquid1024

...watching the quick look of Dungeon Siege III

I like what i see, but, and this is a big but, it looks nothing like the old ones.  I guess a game does have to evolve and become new if it is to hold weight in a franchise.  But Dungeon Siege and Dungeon Siege II had a lot of really great qualities that i was looking forward too in the third installment.  Where is my pack mule?  Wheres my progressive stat leveling.  It seems like everything is being condensed into something simple.  This seems to be the trend now a days.  Another example i can think of off the top of my head is Patrician III vs. Patrician IV.   Do developers think that they need to make things simpler to hold a our attention span. 

Now, by no means, I am not saying that I'm not looking forward to Dungeon Siege III.  I was just hoping for more of the things that made the previous installment great.  Frankly I think they could have released the game under a completely different name and it would have been successful in its own right.  Now that i think of it, I'm sure its because it was ported over to console.  When you have a controller vs a keyboard/mouse you are greatly limited in what you can do, and they aren't going to make multiple games under the same name to accommodate the different peripherals.  Especially when consoles can make a developer so much more money.
    sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 21

#2  Edited By sarahsdad

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who a) Wished that they used the progressive leveling, and b) Felt like this could have been released under a whole different name, or as the start of a new IP.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By CptBedlam

I just can't stand the narrow-path level design. It looks extremely boring (even the town consists of one linear street).

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By owl_of_minerva

I'm surprised anyone could want them to remain faithful to the original DS games, as they were horrible. I've played many Diablo clones and they were the worst. DSIII will be a glorified action game, but if it requires some strategy, skill, and thought about builds it will be more complex than previous games, not less. And hopefully the setting and writing will be at least ok.

Vanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Vanek

I agree that it could have easily been a new IP and probably annoyed fans of the older games less, but I still think it looks quite good.

I've always wanted more co-op RPGs and this looks like a good one.  It might be a little linear, but it still looks fun.  I can't find many good co-op games that aren't shooters these days for the Xbox ...
    LIquid1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By LIquid1024

You have to give them credit for bringing a dungeon crawler to a console.  I cant think of any other Diablo inspired or similar titles that are on modern consoles.  Of course I literally just woke up, and yes it is almost 4 in the afternoon...

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By pweidman

Too Human, and Sacred 2 are both excellent crawler/loot games on console, 360 at least.  Also, Torchlight dropped recently on XBLA, and is also very good from the genre.  I hope this game is good, but can't help being highly skeptical.  Still wanna hear more about DS3 though, and I need to watch that entire QL...only watched a little so far.
    LIquid1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By LIquid1024

Ahh yes, i forgot they released Torchlight on XBLA.  I played the crap out of that one on the pc, but not on the xbox.  As for Too Human and Sacred 2 I Have not played.  Did they do well market wise and gameplay wise?

Probobly the most of what they show on DS3 on the quick look you will see within the first 20 mins.  If you have the time the whole quick look is worth a watch.  But they do stick to the same two characters throughout.  One of the things that bothered me is that the developer that they were doing the interview with kept mentioning that everything is "lots of fun", or something to that effect.  Like he was reassuring us that its going to be fun.   He genuinely seems to care about the game which is a good sign, but the fact he keeps reasuring us that the game is going to be fun sounds like they had to make a lot of sacrifices.   I am curious but I'm sure that i will never know what the game was 6-18 months ago before they had to chop it up to fit on an xbox.  

floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By floodiastus

After watching this I am very much more positive than I was before. Local COOP dungeoncrawl diablo-style, count me in! 

The past Dungeon Siege games was not very good imho, they were always sub-par in dialogue, story, controls, leveling system and graphics.

I am EXCITE!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.