Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dust 514

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released May 14, 2013

DUST 514 was a free-to-play, persistent-world online competitive shooter focused on intense infantry combat augmented by powerful vehicles. It was set in and directly connected to the thriving player driven MMO universe of EVE Online.

Dust 514 NDA is lifted.

alekso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By alekso

The NDA was lifted yesterday so people that has played, or are playing it can now talk about it.

I dont have a PS3 and dont really care for consol FPS, but since im a active eve players i want to heard what others think of this trainwreck..... i mean game.

Avatar image for imsorrymsjackson
    Imsorrymsjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Imsorrymsjackson

I didn't know there even was an NDA, I have been slating this game for weeks, its fucking terrible.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

#3  Edited By Forcen

What's wrong with the game?

ImpendingFoil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By ImpendingFoil

The controls are ass, it has overly complicated systems for leveling, it is going to turn into a huge money suck with some terrible FTP who pays the most is the best bullshit, and to wrap it all up the game just is not fun. The game was so bad that I just never wanted to talk about it, regardless of the NDA.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By psylah
    alekso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By alekso

this is the feeling i have gotten when i have talked to others about it. All tho its still in beta it seems like its so much that has to be done before it is even close to competitive with Planetside 2(which is the most direct competitor).

The concept is in my eyes the most exiting thing about Dust and the links into Eve has potential to be very cool, but when they cant deliver a good paying game all that is just a waste.

That said, Dust isn't a game for Call of Duty gamer's, and its not the market they are going after either. so i don't expect people that like COD to like Dust.

Hosstile17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Hosstile17

I went into it with an open mind. I played Planetside back in the day and found a way to enjoy it despite the flaws. Dust 514 is ass.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By ajamafalous

My roommate and I played about 5-10 games. I'm not sure if the game is just bad or if it only sucked because we were being forced to use a controller to play an FPS. The systems surrounding the gameplay seem interesting but incredibly shallow in comparison to EVE. The game also looks really terrible, but I'm not sure if it's just the game or the fact that I haven't played a console FPS in about 5 years. Every wall and structure is a muddy, low-res mess.

Again, I'm just really baffled as to why this game isn't on PC (you know, the platform that the game this game ties into is on and likely where a majority of your potential market is). They even let you hook up a mouse and keyboard to play, so it's not like they care about control parity or anything like that. Neither of us have a USB keyboard, so we couldn't test that out, however.

It's a shame. I really want to like this game because my friends and I all play EVE, but it just seems really bad. Maybe they'll release it on PC when nobody plays it on PS3 and some of the problems I have with it will be eliminated? Time'll tell, I guess.

deathbyyeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By deathbyyeti

its MAG but worse

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By handlas

Well, my download is in progress but now I'm not too excited to try it out hearing it sucks. Got sidetracked with all the other demos that came out last night. I'll give my impressions of how much it sucks tonight!

mustachio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mustachio

I guess years of designing a complex space economy doesn't give you a great pedigree for making FPS games because DUST 514 is just awful. No redeeming qualities whatsoever, from what I've played.

Voxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Voxus

Played about two weeks. Honestly, I could of done way more interesting, entertaining, productive things. Like counting my dogs farts.

I'd rather count dog farts then play this game.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By sweep  Moderator

I paid so I could get into the beta early, played for a weekend and then never went back. The shooting just doesn't feel satisfying. There's no real kick to the weapons, the environments are dull and lifeless, teamplay is basically non-existent. Stuff like buying ammo and weapons for your clones just feels convoluted and unnecessary.

Like I said, I haven't touched it since early beta, but it would need to have improved dramatically for me to ever consider playing again.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By MooseyMcMan

So I can talk about how the only fun I had playing it was when I used the vehicle to drive up hills and try to get as much air as possible?

Also, I only played it a few times, and that was last summer. But driving that vehicle was the only fun I had.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Meh, I liked it. The texture pop-in is probably the worst I've seen, the lack of more than 1 music track is mind-numbingly infuriating, and the teamwork never really goes above "oh this dude doesn't have a red name, guess I'll stand next to him and hope we don't die." But, other than that, I like the game.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By Bollard

There was an NDA? I've been talking about this for ages. It's boring and that stupid room (if they still have it) you launch games from is dumb and badly designed.

Wraxend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By Wraxend

Played one match and thought it was ok...ish. Thought they might have given a new player a match or two against bots just to get used to the feel for the game. But spawning you in first time and you just get shot from behind is not the best way to sell a game. Might play it one more time just to give it a chance as it is only a beta i suppose.

notdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By notdavid

I had no idea there was an NDA. The beta was ass. Especially that dumb menu room. That was dumb.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Fredchuckdave

This game had some good ideas just never really had anything particularly good about its core elements. I guess there were a lot of people in the same game is maybe the largest positive, but getting spawn camped by tanks that you can't access without either playing for 200 hours or paying money for it is a bit ridiculous.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SlashDance

I played 3 matches and it was terrrrrrrrrrible. I wasn't sure if that was just me being stupid and not getting it but seeing the response in this thread, I guess it's just kinda bad.

EchoEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By EchoEcho

I think it's fine. In its current state it's not great, but it's serviceable. They make fairly sweeping changes from build to build, so I wouldn't be surprised if it improves significantly by the time it's out of beta -- or even beyond that, since CCP seems pretty dedicated to post-release support. Definitely have their work cut out for them if they want the game to compete with other shooters on the market, though, without relying on the uniqueness of its interactivity with EVE as the sole selling point.

Personally I have no issue with the skill system or how equipment is handled -- but I also played a lot of EVE Online, so I knew what that stuff would be like going in and didn't find it convoluted or overly complicated at all. The gunplay is mostly fine, if a bit "off" when compared to a lot of other shooters I play regularly. There was some weirdness with movement that could make things really awkward, but they were known issues that were supposedly being worked on -- last time I played was a few updates ago, so it's possible a lot of that has been ironed out. As far as the graphics are concerned, I'm fairly certain they don't have final graphics in the game yet, or at least they didn't last time I played. They've been slowly updating the textures and effects with each build, though -- the game looked pretty crummy when I first started playing, but it looked even worse the build before that. At some point I'll have to hop back in and see if they've updated the visuals again or not.

The reason I haven't checked in with it in a few months is due to the keyboard and mouse I was using now being hooked up to a new computer, and I don't feel like swapping them back and forth between the PC and my PS3. One thing I remember was that the mouse control seemed fairly sluggish even with the sensitivity maxed, yet if I turned up the DPI on my mouse it was really squirrely, so I hope they add/have added more fine tuning for that stuff in the options. Also, last I played keyboard controls weren't remappable, though I have to assume that'll change if it hasn't already.

: If you're referring to your merc quarters when you first load into the game, you don't have to walk around and use the in-world computer screens to access anything if you don't want to. You can access the market, character stats, loadouts, etc. and join game lobbies from the Neocom menu. If you're referring to the pregame lobby room, I'm not sure what the issue is -- you don't really need to do anything but wait around until the match starts at that point.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By GaspoweR

@AleksO said:

this is the feeling i have gotten when i have talked to others about it. All tho its still in beta it seems like its so much that has to be done before it is even close to competitive with Planetside 2(which is the most direct competitor).

Considering that the games you are referring to are on two different platforms, Dust 514's most direct competitor since it is a console exclusive would probably have to be MAG since MAG is also a large-scale MP shooter that I believe have some persistent elements like Dust or Planetside. Planetside 2 as of now is a PC exclusive unless I might have missed an announcement that they are also going to be doing a console release. So it would be hard to say that they are direct competitors since not all PC owners have a PS3 and vice versa.

SythonX7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SythonX7

I liked it... kinda, some of the weapons are crap and the random low frame rate issues are sure annoying but beta is beta and I had fun using the Heavy Machine Gun and the Rail Gun thing (cant remember the actual name for it)

It just seems like another average ass free to play shooter, which is less than I was hoping for. I'll probably jump back into it when it "releases" and see if its improved any but for now I'd say don't bother with it.

Avatar image for captain_tolerable
    Captain_Tolerable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Went ahead and gave it a shot over the night and this morning, played a few matches. Played somewhere around eight hours with it. I have to say that it is simply mediocre at this very moment as a video game. With the direction it's taking it feels like a lower budget Halo adding in elements of games like Battlefield or Planetside 2.

The first huge issue is the framerate. The framerate in console games nowadays generally isn't very good at all. Being a strict PC Gamer for a very long time and moving over to a console to see how poor they handle an engine as simple as the Unreal 3 engine is disappointing to say the least. It could be that the game still isn't optimized well and, after all it is a beta. It's just a beta is a theme that really runs rampant throughout this game.

So far Dust 514 is not very good, though it does have a great deal of potential. It is taking the intricacies of EVE Online which in my opinion is a glorified spreadsheet and makes it into a playable shooter that can be fun. I did have fun with it anyway, I feel the Corporations that were added in as well bring a lot of variety into the game especially when the Corporations in Dust 514 are affected by the going-ons in space. The amount of character customization is very nice as well. There is no limit in what you can actually do with the certification system, which I think is a great addition and adds a ton of depth to a game that seems, to me at least, comes off looking like a Halo clone.

So yeah I agree so far not so good, but I'm still going to be playing it because it has a chance to be just like MAG, only better.

...except something like that probably isn't hard to do to begin with.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By superfriend

@ajamafalous said:

My roommate and I played about 5-10 games. I'm not sure if the game is just bad or if it only sucked because we were being forced to use a controller to play an FPS. The systems surrounding the gameplay seem interesting but incredibly shallow in comparison to EVE. The game also looks really terrible, but I'm not sure if it's just the game or the fact that I haven't played a console FPS in about 5 years. Every wall and structure is a muddy, low-res mess. Again, I'm just really baffled as to why this game isn't on PC (you know, the platform that the game this game ties into is on and likely where a majority of your potential market is). They even let you hook up a mouse and keyboard to play, so it's not like they care about control parity or anything like that. Neither of us have a USB keyboard, so we couldn't test that out, however. It's a shame. I really want to like this game because my friends and I all play EVE, but it just seems really bad. Maybe they'll release it on PC when nobody plays it on PS3 and some of the problems I have with it will be eliminated? Time'll tell, I guess.

Aside from the console bashing in this post, I have to agree with most of it.

This game plays, looks and runs like crap. I have said it before in another thread: I honestly doubt that even a PC release will make it any better, but it clearly shows that the developers behind it have no idea how to do a shooter, let alone a console shooter.

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#26  Edited By triple07

Damn sounds like this game is a stinker.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#27  Edited By project343

I feel like all the trailers made me walk away with the feeling that 'this is going to probably play like shit, but boy is this neat!'

Guess it's sad to see that this is certainly the case.

leboe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By leboe

Its literally battlefield 2142, made 5 years later and worse.

MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'm not sure how things were a month ago, but I just started playing it a few days ago and have been really enjoying. I'm apparently not the only one. Game matchmaking is near instantaneous, and there is a huge amount of players in the main chat rooms at all times. It seems to be thriving already.

I also think you guys are being a bit unfair judging the game so harshly when it's in beta, and a work in progress. It's tentative release date seems to be Q3 of this year, but that could easily be pushed back. Even if it doesn't get pushed, that's still quite a bit of time to do stuff to the game.

The controls are ass, it has overly complicated systems for leveling, it is going to turn into a huge money suck with some terrible FTP who pays the most is the best bullshit, and to wrap it all up the game just is not fun.

Just to address a couple of your comments. The controls are what they are. Most FPS games control differently from one another. Modern Warfare doesn't control exactly the same as Battlefield. Battlefield doesn't control the same as Killzone. Etc. It's all subjective. If you don't like it, that's perfectly understandable, but they seem fine to me, and will probably only continue to be improved upon and tightened.

The second thing (and most important thing) this isn't a "pay to win" game. Nothing you can buy makes you any better than the other player. It's mostly all cosmetic stuff, and persistent items. That's it. You don't buy some gun that is 10x stronger than anyone else's gun.

@ajamafalous:

As far as how the game looks, I think they are only using low res textures at the moment since it's in beta, and they probably don't have everything optimized yet. The game does look a bit like an Unreal Engine game before the textures pop in. However, I extremely doubt it will stay that way.

Also, it seems like a lot of complaints about this game stems from the fact that people want it on the PS3. So they bash the existing incarnation of it on the PS3, but all it really boils down to is they want it on the PC. I could be wrong, but I get the perception from not only this thread, but other ones just like this on different forums.

I'll admit the game still has a ways to go, but I think there is great potential there for this to be one of the most deep, and unique FPS games on the market. Here's me crossing my fingers.

RoaRawR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did look good with menu and customizing and such and was hyped, got into first game.....yeah, it went off the PS3 very fast .......it's feel like planetside 2 alpha, very clunky, can be because it was 2 small game modes and not the "big" warfare that they told about. but combat and controls felt like my hands have swallowed (even have auto aim sensitiv is very high......I could have about this lenght "--------------" and the game started to auto aim) so do not feel great

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

I tried the beta for a while and thought it was pretty mediocre. It just didn't feel right and it looked too damn dreary.

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#32  Edited By Svenzon

I tried the beta for a while and thought it was pretty mediocre. It just didn't feel right and it looked too damn dreary.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.