Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dust: An Elysian Tail

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Aug 15, 2012

In the fantasy world of Falana, a mysterious swordsman named Dust, armed with a living sword called Ahrah and a quirky companion named Fidget, seeks to free a village from oppression while uncovering the truth behind his past.

Trailer just went up

• 74 results
    laini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By laini

Roll on Wednesday ^^

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Vexxan

Great trailer but this will probably get flagged as Youtube spam.

WarlordPayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By WarlordPayne

Everything I've heard about this game made it sound awesome, and that trailer just reinforced it.

I really hope the game manages to pull off all it's aspirations. I'd love another metroidvania game to play, especially one that's as gorgeous as Dust is. The visuals remind me a lot of Vanillaware's stuff.

laini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By laini

I certainly hope so too. Tony Hawk was a little disappointing and Deadlight was garbage so I'm hoping this will be the big hit of this year's Summer of Arcade.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ripelivejam

can't wait, buying the shit out of this.

hope people can get over the overtly "furry" look. personally i love the art style and the animation looks gorgeous. hard to believe one man (mostly) created it.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#6  Edited By beargirl1

this still looks awesome. i hope it's good. i really do

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By musubi

Still on the fence about this. Might download the trial and see if I like it first. Almost feel like supporting it just because one dude did everything besides the music and that is just insane to me.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@Vexxan said:

NO. No it won't.

"Hey guys, look at this funny cat video" is You Tube spam.

"Everyone, look at how good I am at Call of Duty" is You Tube spam.

"I awkwardly talked about a video game, called it a review, and put a video of it on the internet" is You Tube spam.

Gameplay videos of unreleased games have NEVER been considered You Tube spam.

And speaking of this game, it looks amazing.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By killacam

looks fucking incredible in every way. can't believe one dude did this.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#10  Edited By jacksukeru

Ok I wasn't really feeling it at first, but watching it again and focusing less on the cheesy dramatic music and more on the varied (and mostly gorgeous) visuals helped. Still doesn't change the fact that I don't own the platform to begin with so this game shouldn't really concern me either way.

Maybe it will come to PC eventually.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ripelivejam

this is actually quite inspiring. if the guy has any time to spare i may hit him up on a little advice on where to get started and what he may have done differently the second time around. i probably won't get anywhere with it but it doesn't hurt to be a little optimistic and try. have my work cut out for me as i lack any programming, artistic, or musical skill, but maybe persistence will make up for it.

Noogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Noogy

ripelivejam, I'd like to do a postmortem as soon as the game launches. If I could change anything, I'd have invented a time machine beforehand, that way I wouldn't currenly be dead from exhaustion.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#13  Edited By csl316

It sure looks amazing. And the gameplay looks along the lines of The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile (one of my absolute favorite games of last year). Based on Brad's PAX interview, Mr. Dodrill sure seems to know what he's doing so I doubt this will coast purely on its fucking incredible visuals.

@Noogy: Hey, sounds like you're that guy!

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Silver-Streak

@Noogy: Congrats on completing your opus. It looks fantastic. I hope it plays as well as it looks. I'm excited to try it.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By fjordson

Looks fantastic. Will be there Wednesday morning for sure.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Please be good. Hybrid was decent but nothing else in the summer of arcade has pleased me.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@Noogy said:

ripelivejam, I'd like to do a postmortem as soon as the game launches. If I could change anything, I'd have invented a time machine beforehand, that way I wouldn't currenly be dead from exhaustion.

Good to see you posting here. I've been reading the NeoGAF thread, but I don't have an account there. I've been following this game since the '09 Dream Build Play teaser, and I'm seriously looking forward to playing the full game on Wednesday.

mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mtcantor

This is my last hope for a good Summer of Arcade. So far everything has been awful.

Noogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Noogy

Thanks all for the warm welcome. Now that production and marketing are winding down it's nice to actually live a life and be on forums again :) Wait, those two might be mutually exclusive...

Anyway, I do hope you enjoy the game come wednesday, at the very least try the demo. Only 600mb, Arcade console friendly :)

sunsetstreek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By sunsetstreek

Hope it's worth the long wait, had my eye on this for a while, and it's the last hope for this year's Summer of Arcade. My only worry right now is length. Still dropping the 15 bucks even if it is short though.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Never heard of this but it looks kind of great. The whole melodramatic tone in a world full of furries is kinda dumb though, and I'm not sure if that's in a good or bad way.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By leebmx

I really hope the gameplay can distract me from the visuals which are really not appealing. Lots of weird cutsey animals and day-glo, hallmark colours are a little off-putting. But I can deal with it if the action's tight.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#23  Edited By Humanity

Huge props to the guy for putting this together by himself and the gameplay looks pretty fun, but the writing and voice acting seem like a 12 year olds perception of what a badass anime would be.

The furry vibe is also uncomfortably off-putting for me.

laini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By laini

LOL what?

What makes this different from any other game with anthropomorphic characters in it? Star Fox, Sly Cooper, Ratchet and Clank etc.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@Laini: Those are done in a very cartoony sort of way, Ratchet and Clank in particular look like something you'd see from a Saturday morning cartoon, they're perfectly innocent.

There's nothing wrong with anthropomorphic characters in general, but like others have said, the way this is done in an anime style, melodramatic kind of tone, makes it a little unsettling. You can pretty much tell that the creator thought this was "badass" or "sexy".

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TruthTellah

Woah. That trailer is too legit. Like, it is radical gnarly. Bodacious to the max.

Hope it is as tight as it seems.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#27  Edited By MEATBALL

@Noogy said:

Thanks all for the warm welcome. Now that production and marketing are winding down it's nice to actually live a life and be on forums again :) Wait, those two might be mutually exclusive...

Anyway, I do hope you enjoy the game come wednesday, at the very least try the demo. Only 600mb, Arcade console friendly :)

Can't wait to give it a try. I really am amazed at what you've accomplished on your own, you're a damn inspiration.

laini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By laini

@WinterSnowblind: So cartoon animals can only ever be in E rated cartoon fluff? Oh, okay.

"You can pretty much tell that the creator thought this was "badass" or "sexy"." I'd love to know what you're basing that on, but I'm gonna guess it's cos the guy is a furry and thus he must automatically want to **** the characters. *rolls eyes*

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ripelivejam

his estimate was 6-8 hours of playtime but said people playing the demo hinted it could stretch out longer, though i don't know if he was counting in the side quests. for a metroidvania game at $15 on live arcade that seems plenty, and quality>quantity anyway, as the portal games taught us.

i know it's not really analogous, but you're basically paying a little more than movie ticket price for 3x the length of entertainment.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ripelivejam

i also lol at everyone thinking Fidget's (the companion's) paws are supposed to be boobs.

AgnosticJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By AgnosticJesus

Thank for posting the trailer OP. This game was totally under my radar. I thought it was something to do with that Ubisoft Dust game from last year. Day one download for me now.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By LikeaSsur

@SpaceInsomniac said:

@Vexxan said:

NO. No it won't.

"Hey guys, look at this funny cat video" is You Tube spam.

"Everyone, look at how good I am at Call of Duty" is You Tube spam.

"I awkwardly talked about a video game, called it a review, and put a video of it on the internet" is You Tube spam.

Gameplay videos of unreleased games have NEVER been considered You Tube spam.

And speaking of this game, it looks amazing.

You have an odd definition of what spam is.

Anyway, I'm not a fan of the character design, but the game itself looks pretty good. I may wait for a Quick Look of it and see how it actually plays before gracing it onto my hard drive.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@GunslingerPanda: @Humanity: @WinterSnowblind:

What is with this "furry" garbage, and why does a small group of people have to ruin a style that has been used in animation for well over 80 years now?

Better yet, why are Giant Bomb forum members ruining this thread with it? Just because some people get turned on by cartoon animals screwing each other, that doesn't invalidate the animation of my childhood, and it doesn't mean that style of art is no longer acceptable.

The small group of people who like to look at pictures of Disney's animal characters having sex isn't ruining this style of animation. However, the much larger group of people who can't shut up about those people IS ruining this thread. So knock it off.

For crying out loud, the creator of this game has been nice enough to post here, and he worked on this this game for over three years. Please show a little respect for that fact.

If you HAVE to continue this stupid "furry" debate, make a new thread, and post a link to it here. Just please don't continue to fill this thread with that nonsense.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Sterling

Trailer was amazing. But I am getting the feeling that the game itself will not be as amazing.

casper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By casper_

im super impressed that one dude did all this programming and incredible animation but i am personally put off by the art style. not saying i would enjoy it more if it had bulky american dudes with enormous biceps and soul patches but i'll just never get the whole "furry" aesthetic. just a personal thing, no hate.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By DeF

Oh god I just realized that I have constantly mixed this up with that "non-euclidean geometry puzzle game" thing for some reason. I had actually no idea what this game really was. So weird.

This year's Summer of Arcade line up somehow doesn't really excite me...

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By GunslingerPanda

@SpaceInsomniac said:

@GunslingerPanda: @Humanity: @WinterSnowblind:

What is with this "furry" garbage, and why the hell do a group of creepy sexual deviants have to ruin a style that has been used in animation for well over 80 years now?

Better yet, why are Giant Bomb forum members ruining this thread with it? Just because you went into some dark corner of the internet and found some people that get turned on by cartoon animals screwing each other, that doesn't invalidate the animation of my childhood, and it doesn't mean that style of art is no longer acceptable.

The extremely small group of weirdos who like to look at pictures of Disney's animal characters fucking isn't ruining this style of animation. However, the much larger group of people who can't shut up about those weirdos IS ruining this thread. So knock it off.

For crying out loud, the creator of this game has been nice enough to post here, and he worked on this this game for over three years. Please show a little respect for that fact.

If you HAVE to continue this stupid "furry" debate, make a new thread, and post a link to it here. Just please don't continue to fill this thread with that nonsense.

What in the fuck are you talking about?

sunsetstreek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By sunsetstreek

@ripelivejam: Alright, kinda want to know if that's counting or not counting side quests, but that seems decent length. Was just afraid i'd be getting another Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet or Deadlight here...

But yeah, congrats to Noogy if he's still here, you single-handedly made one of my most anticipated games of 2012, and I hope it pays off for you because I imagine there had to be some rough times making this.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@GunslingerPanda said:

What in the fuck are you talking about?

I always thought this sort of thing was the reason for the backlash against this art style: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furry#Sexual_aspects

But again, I'm done discussing the subject here. If you want to continue talking about this, make a new thread.

@ripelivejam said:

his estimate was 6-8 hours of playtime but said people playing the demo hinted it could stretch out longer, though i don't know if he was counting in the side quests. for a metroidvania game at $15 on live arcade that seems plenty, and quality>quantity anyway, as the portal games taught us.

i know it's not really analogous, but you're basically paying a little more than movie ticket price for 3x the length of entertainment.

I read on the NeoGAF forum that it's closer to 12 hours, and longer if you want to complete every side quest, and find every item.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#40  Edited By Humanity

@SpaceInsomniac: Just my personal opinion on it. Something about the presentation I dunno. I don't get a "funny" vibe from Sly Cooper at all but this has it for whatever reason. Like I said, it all looks very impressive for one guy and I wish him the best - the art and voice acting that I've seen so far is just not for me. Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Cybexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#41  Edited By Cybexx

Looks great. Its nice to see a Dream.Build.Play game get a featured spot in Summer of Arcade and not shoved under the rug like Adventures of Shuggy.

trindermon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By trindermon

game looks wonderful, can not wait to play it.

minotaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By minotaka

Beeeeeeeeeast

theuselessgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#44  Edited By theuselessgod

Looks like a colorful Dishwasher. Completely sold; can't wait for Wednesday.

Rodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#45  Edited By Rodin

I hope this game is great, it certainly looks great.

Also the vo at the start sounds like a female version of Liam O'Brien to me.

lumley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#46  Edited By lumley
    DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By DharmaBum

Seems like it has potential to save the lackluster Summer of Arcade. I'll wait and see what the Bombcast has to say.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Rafaelfc

this game looks awesome, Destructoid gave it an 8.5 which seems like a good score

http://www.destructoid.com/review-dust-an-elysian-tail-232968.phtml

Microsoft was dumb to not have Spelunky and Minecraft in the summer of arcade, but oh well...

lumley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#50  Edited By lumley

@Rafaelfc: Minecraft came out during another promotion, Arcade Next. Spelunky certainly should have though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.