Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

E3 2009

Concept »

The 2009 Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) took place at the Los Angeles Convention Center in Los Angeles, California on June 2-4.

The button is still alive

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

Edited By sweep  Moderator

With the launch of Wii Motion Plus

and new forms of motion sensor shenanigans from Microsoft and Sony, this years E3 buzzwords seemed to revolve around "Removing the controller" and "Making games more accessible". I'm kind of sick of this, mainly because nothing meaningful has ever been a consequence of using a gimmicky motion sensor. Fuck the people who can't "see past the controller" (That bitch is NEVER coming over). If it's not for you then it's not for you. Don't tell me enough people aren't playing games already that you need to broaden the fucking market. Don't tell me that "people don't take the videogame industry seriously". These people are not in possession of all the facts.
    No Caption Provided

I'm kind of getting frustrated that the core focus of E3 was aimed at people who don't play already. It seems ridiculous to me. My nan is not going to go out and buy a 360 because it now has motion control. If anything it seems more futuristic and complicated. Controllers have got us this far, why the sudden urge to leave them behind?

This rant is a product of me catching up on the E3 podcasts

specifically the Day 2 cast with Leah whats-her-face overcasting the entire show. However her point of "The button is still alive" was extremely valid, and I felt almost awoken from some hypno voodoo when I realised I also don't actually care about motion control. I like pushing buttons on a control pad. I like being able to sit in a calm state instead of waving my limbs around like an Orangutan being attacked by a large swarm of Hornets. It may be more restrictive to some of the older generations, but lets be serious: My old man likes gardening and playing squash, he's hardly going to empathise with a chainsaw to the face.

No Caption Provided
    The games you enjoy are games that resonate with you in a meaningful way. You don't ever play a game and feel the control system has somehow enhanced your interaction and consequential involvement (excepting Flower which seems to be a pleasant exception to the rule). Would a game like Shadow Of The Colossus have created an added level of empathy with Wander if you had to physically thrust your sword into the head of each Colossi? Or would this addition have felt tacky, undermining the sincerity which the game otherwise retains? The right answer is the second one.

So, here's me saying: Fuck the next generation. All my favorite games rely on control pads, through the ages. Long may they prosper.

Thanks For Reading
    Love Sweep
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By sweep  Moderator

With the launch of Wii Motion Plus

and new forms of motion sensor shenanigans from Microsoft and Sony, this years E3 buzzwords seemed to revolve around "Removing the controller" and "Making games more accessible". I'm kind of sick of this, mainly because nothing meaningful has ever been a consequence of using a gimmicky motion sensor. Fuck the people who can't "see past the controller" (That bitch is NEVER coming over). If it's not for you then it's not for you. Don't tell me enough people aren't playing games already that you need to broaden the fucking market. Don't tell me that "people don't take the videogame industry seriously". These people are not in possession of all the facts.
    No Caption Provided

I'm kind of getting frustrated that the core focus of E3 was aimed at people who don't play already. It seems ridiculous to me. My nan is not going to go out and buy a 360 because it now has motion control. If anything it seems more futuristic and complicated. Controllers have got us this far, why the sudden urge to leave them behind?

This rant is a product of me catching up on the E3 podcasts

specifically the Day 2 cast with Leah whats-her-face overcasting the entire show. However her point of "The button is still alive" was extremely valid, and I felt almost awoken from some hypno voodoo when I realised I also don't actually care about motion control. I like pushing buttons on a control pad. I like being able to sit in a calm state instead of waving my limbs around like an Orangutan being attacked by a large swarm of Hornets. It may be more restrictive to some of the older generations, but lets be serious: My old man likes gardening and playing squash, he's hardly going to empathise with a chainsaw to the face.

No Caption Provided
    The games you enjoy are games that resonate with you in a meaningful way. You don't ever play a game and feel the control system has somehow enhanced your interaction and consequential involvement (excepting Flower which seems to be a pleasant exception to the rule). Would a game like Shadow Of The Colossus have created an added level of empathy with Wander if you had to physically thrust your sword into the head of each Colossi? Or would this addition have felt tacky, undermining the sincerity which the game otherwise retains? The right answer is the second one.

So, here's me saying: Fuck the next generation. All my favorite games rely on control pads, through the ages. Long may they prosper.

Thanks For Reading
    Love Sweep
    sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#2  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Personally, I'm kind of excited to see where motion control takes us, especially after a few years when its been refined and we can see how it will work for games in the future.  I'm especially excited for the next logical step after that, which to me would be controller-less motion support with tactile feedback of some sort.  It would be neat to have little velcro strips with tactile feeds to several different parts of the body.  It would be cool as hell to pretend to drive a car and feel the vibration through more than just my hands.

TimeWaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By TimeWaffle

i think motion control is the most overrated thing in videogames nowadays

neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By neoepoch
    @Sparky_Buzzsaw said:
    " Personally, I'm kind of excited to see where motion control takes us, especially after a few years when its been refined and we can see how it will work for games in the future.  I'm especially excited for the next logical step after that, which to me would be controller-less motion support with tactile feedback of some sort.  It would be neat to have little velcro strips with tactile feeds to several different parts of the body.  It would be cool as hell to pretend to drive a car and feel the vibration through more than just my hands. "
    Then drive a real car.
    No, taking the controller out of the hands of the player is problematic. We need a feeling of preciseness that motion controls are only now just reaching. There is nothing wrong with analog sticks and buttons, and that gives me a higher sense of control than delayed motion sensing tech. Also I don't want to buy more crap just to play good games.
    Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Dalai

I wouldn't count out motion controls entirely.  We've only just seen the first step with the Wii Remote so motion controls have nowhere to go but up.

However, I do believe buttons will always have a place in video games.  They're not going away... ever.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By sweep  Moderator
    @neoepoch said:
    "Also I don't want to buy more crap just to play good games. "
    This is also very important. Peripherals are the bane of the industry. Why can't we work with the tools we already have?
    sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#7  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw
    @neoepoch: Sorry, bud, but that's a dick thing to say to someone who's legally blind and plays racing games because it's the only safe manner in which I can "drive."  In any case, the tech is unproven as yet, and talking about poor ratios and delayed motion control is a bit premature.  We're all damning the technology before it's even been released.  Good Christ, the Internet is a cynical place.
    ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By ThomasP

I imagine most games will give you the option to play with a traditional game pad or motion controls. However,  the new Zelda Wii is going to use Wii Motion Plus and I can't wait to see how it's integrated into the gameplay. I think there is room in the industry for both traditional and motion controls and personally, I'm excited to see what the future holds.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jeffgoldblum

I don't know about the Button but GLaDOS is still alive.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#10  Edited By Vinchenzo

Controllers are definitely the future. As far as I can tell there is no better design, and a stupid gimmick is not a suitable alternative. I would probably stop playing video games if they try way too hard to be "innovative." Just for clarification I only skimmed your article Sweep. I was too lazy to read it all, so I'm sorry if my statement seems out of place. But that's what I gathered we are talking about.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#11  Edited By Claude
    "I like being able to sit in a calm state instead of waving my limbs around like an Orangutan being attacked by a large swarm of Hornets."

I've played a lot of Wiigames and never have I ever seen myself in this manner. If you play the Wii this way, you are playing it wrong.

A flick of the wrist and a steady hand for the IR... that's all that is needed.

Diatribe... that's a word.

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By Oni
    @Dalai said:
    " I wouldn't count out motion controls entirely.  We've only just seen the first step with the Wii Remote so motion controls have nowhere to go but up.However, I do believe buttons will always have a place in video games.  They're not going away... ever. "
    I agree with this. Let them experiment and see where it goes, it's not like it's harming hte games you know and love. If Peter Molyneux's Natal project is even remotely viable, I'm pretty excited about the possibilities.
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Ok so i'm not saying that motion control doesn't have potential, I just resent the way it's being built up as the future of gaming, as though it's some sort of meaningful progression from the current controller system we have in place.

Also, I repeat, nothing meaningful has ever come of motion control.

Someone needs to take away claude's golf clubs before he hurts somebody :D

ShadowKiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By ShadowKiller

I'm glad the button is still here because it's hard enough to play with a wii in my enclosed gaming space, but I can't even imagine how you would play certain games without a controller. I think something that comes to mind is how would you move and jump without any buttons because if I have to move and jump in real life every time I want to in Halo there's something wrong here.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jeffgoldblum
    @Claude said:
    " "I like being able to sit in a calm state instead of waving my limbs around like an Orangutan being attacked by a large swarm of Hornets."

I've played a lot of Wiigames and never have I ever seen myself in this manner. If you play the Wii this way, you are playing it wrong.

A flick of the wrist and a steady hand for the IR... that's all that is needed.

Diatribe... that's a word.

"
    Im sure he is talking about Natal not the Wii.
    Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By Kazona

Personally I'm excited to see what they bring to the table with things like Natal. Maybe the resentment from some people comes from the fact that it's something totally different to what they're used to. We as gamers are used to always having a controller in our hands and pushing buttons. And now someone might make a game that takes that away from us? Our precious controller? Blasphemy!

That's what I think the initial reaction of a lot of people is. But I would love to see some games that I can play completely without any need of a controller. I'm not saying that I want every game to be like that, though, because not every game will be enjoyable without a good old fashioned controller. However, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that a game like the next Fight Night will have complete motion control available. That way I can play an awesome game while at the same time getting a workout (and having fun doing it). Man to be able to do things like duck, weave, throw an uppercut or a left hook, all using my own body? Yes please. 

JamesF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By JamesF

I agree, it's an unneeded gimmick that lasts for a short while, but really doesn't have the depth or lasting ability that most gamers want. Plus isn't part of videogames just sitting on a couch and enjoying them?

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#18  Edited By Claude
    @Sweep said:
    " Ok so i'm not saying that motion control doesn't have potential, I just resent the way it's being built up as the future of gaming, as though it's some sort of meaningful progression from the current controller system we have in place.Also, I repeat, nothing meaningful has ever come of motion control.Someone needs to take away claude's golf clubs before he hurts somebody :D "
    I knew I should have played through on this one. Fore!!!

Face it Sweep, you'll be killing Zombies with waggle before you know it. Join the movement of motion.
    ZeroCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ZeroCast

I can't see how Motion Controls can dominate our way of playing games, if anything, i think it's going to be there as an option not a must.

RenegadeSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By RenegadeSaint

I look forward to the next generation of motion controls.  I think there is room for traditionally complicated controllers and the new stuff.  I enjoy playing with people who wouldn't normally play and that seems like a distinct possibility with Natal.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#21  Edited By crunchUK

I agree with sweep. When people say wii controls in a game are "good", it's not because they make the game more awesome (in most cases), it's because it manages to be about as functional as regular buttons. Games are really about your brain being convinced as much as possible that it's doing something that isn't pushing a load of buttons by pushing a load of buttons, and motion control just doesn't enhance it in any way really. It's just a slightly annoying obstacle in most cases.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By Pie

Games will go backwards in terms of gameplay and DA GRAPIX just to account for motion controls

ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ThomasP
    @Pie said:
    " Games will go backwards in terms of gameplay and DA GRAPIX just to account for motion controls "
    I think gameplay will go forward with more ways to control an actual game; that just makes sense. I don't see how graphics will be compromised, either.
    Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Pie
    @ThomasP said:
    "
    @Pie said:
    " Games will go backwards in terms of gameplay and DA GRAPIX just to account for motion controls "
    I think gameplay will go forward with more ways to control an actual game; that just makes sense. I don't see how graphics will be compromised, either. "
    One of the most popular genres at the moment is the shooter. On a normal controller every button is used to do things like swithcing weapons and grenades, aiming down the sights and reloading. If you try make a shooter with motion controls  how  would you even  shoot? (im talking about natal and sony's motion controls mainly)
    ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ThomasP
    @Pie said:
    "
    @ThomasP said:
    "
    @Pie said:
    I think gameplay will go forward with more ways to control an actual game; that just makes sense. I don't see how graphics will be compromised, either. "
    One of the most popular genres at the moment is the shooter. On a normal controller every button is used to do things like swithcing weapons and grenades, aiming down the sights and reloading. If you try make a shooter with motion controls  how  would you even  shoot? (im talking about natal and sony's motion controls mainly) "
    Well, with Natal there is no controller, so obviously a shooter wouldn't work, but Nintendo has buttons on their motion controller and I'm sure Sony's will, as well. However, I don't think motion controls work as well with shooters. I like the keyboard and mouse or a traditional gaming pad when it comes to shooters. That's fine, motion controls won't work for every game, but there is room for both motion controls and traditional controls in the gaming industry. Most games will have the option to play with both, I would imagine.

Still, my argument stands that adding motion controls will actually improve gameplay moving forward because there are simply more options. There are more genres then shooters and boiling it down to one genre is not really a good argument... and I still don't see how the graphics would be compromised.
    Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Pie
    @ThomasP said:
    "
    @Pie said:
    "
    @ThomasP said:
    "
    @Pie said:
    One of the most popular genres at the moment is the shooter. On a normal controller every button is used to do things like swithcing weapons and grenades, aiming down the sights and reloading. If you try make a shooter with motion controls  how  would you even  shoot? (im talking about natal and sony's motion controls mainly) "
    Well, with Natal there is no controller, so obviously a shooter wouldn't work, but Nintendo has buttons on their motion controller and I'm sure Sony's will, as well. However, I don't think motion controls work as well with shooters. I like the keyboard and mouse or a traditional gaming pad when it comes to shooters. That's fine, motion controls won't work for every game, but there is room for both motion controls and traditional controls in the gaming industry. Most games will have the option to play with both, I would imagine.Still, my argument stands that adding motion controls will actually improve gameplay moving forward because there are simply more options. There are more genres then shooters and boiling it down to one genre is not really a good argument... and I still don't see how the graphics would be compromised. "
    How would racing games work? (that burnout paradide demo will not be nice to play)
    ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ThomasP
    @Pie said:
    "
    @ThomasP said:
    "
    @Pie said:
    "
    @ThomasP said:
    "
    @Pie said:
    Well, with Natal there is no controller, so obviously a shooter wouldn't work, but Nintendo has buttons on their motion controller and I'm sure Sony's will, as well. However, I don't think motion controls work as well with shooters. I like the keyboard and mouse or a traditional gaming pad when it comes to shooters. That's fine, motion controls won't work for every game, but there is room for both motion controls and traditional controls in the gaming industry. Most games will have the option to play with both, I would imagine.Still, my argument stands that adding motion controls will actually improve gameplay moving forward because there are simply more options. There are more genres then shooters and boiling it down to one genre is not really a good argument... and I still don't see how the graphics would be compromised. "
    How would racing games work? (that burnout paradide demo will not be nice to play) "
    I don't know dude, you're asking the wrong person; while at the same time not adressing my original argument at all.
    Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Pie
    @ThomasP: What was it? (me forget things...)
    ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ThomasP
    @Pie said:
    " @ThomasP: What was it? (me forget things...) "
    Whatever. None of that matters anymore. What's important is that I just realized how much you love pie. This changes everything.
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By Red

That Playstation Wand stuff looked kinda fun, and Natal could be used for some cool things, but a controller is necessary for any game that isn't just a mini-game collection.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Pie
    @ThomasP said:
    "
    @Pie said:
    " @ThomasP: What was it? (me forget things...) "
    Whatever. None of that matters anymore. What's important is that I just realized how much you love pie. This changes everything. "
    LETS BE FRIENDS!!!!!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.