Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

E3 2016

Concept »

The twenty-second annual Electronic Entertainment Expo took place June 14-16, 2016 at the Los Angeles Convention Center in Los Angeles, California.

e3 2016 - Are people not as engaged?

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

It seems like the lethargy of e3 is being shown everywhere.

The Bomb Crew are saying the show floor is small and that attendance seems lower. I'm all for lower attendance so the professionals can get around teh show floor easier without weirdos getting in the way looking for swag they can show off at their GameStop part time job, but low attendee is also seemingly translating into low energy

Yet, is what is really shocking me is this:

No Caption Provided

That seem like a muted reaction. Are people waiting to react, or are they not really "feeling" it?

I know a few threads on the forums have broken outside the official threads, but only 31 people comment on Nintendo's tree-house, really? Microsoft is my opinion has a very nice show, they best one in years, but only 54 comments? Ubisoft was still a crazy Alisha Tyler fest, yet only 45 comments despite opening with a dancing giraffe?

Understand this is not chastisement, I am just sort of shocked that people don't have more reactions so far. I actually felt that publishers and system makers did a good job, and how could they not with 100% less Pele this year- that was nice, right? I was abundantly lucky this years - I was off on Monday. I had the time to soak in and swim around in Sunday and Monday's events, so maybe more people will get caught up over the week.

I do hope that is the case, I would honestly love to know people reactions.

ragnar_mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I think maybe that's more of a symptom of how content is absorbed now. I feel like people get a lot of their discussion out of twitch and chat during the streams and by the time stuff is archived and up, that the discussion has already happened. Forums are an old school medium now, as weird as that is to think about. I mean sure, twitch chat is also just IRC in a new wrapper, but media and discussion online is so disposable now that I think the whole idea of a multipage threads are just too long form for most people.

The_Tribunal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The forums are buzzing with E3 talk but not on those specific threads.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

A lot of the bigger announcements were known/leaked/hinted at beforehand? Weren't they? I think people are pretty psyked about a lot of games shown, but it's hard to muster up the same level of energy as when it's a complete surprise.

It's the year of the "Yeah yeah I know, looks cool, just give me the damn game already".

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most of the talk is on specific games, not the conferences those games came out of.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm engaged but E3 isn't engaging me. IE no announcements that interested me much.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
    deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah my girlfriend and I decided not to get engaged until we are in a really good location in which both our families can attend a wedding.

Oh wait..what is this about?

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've thought the same... Forums seems quiet...even outside of the Official Company ones.

btrdeadthanred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The prior leaks took a alot of wind out of E3s sails this year. Some big announcements sure, apart from maybe Quake nothing really blew me away.

Naturally it was going to be less exciting than last year's VR extravaganza, but coupled with the steady decline of E3 in general and the prominence of youtube content; safe to say a pretty meh E3.

Rahf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's a lot of buzz regarding all of this. But as has been stated the structure of our forums distill the discussions down into individual games, instead of the publishing companies--those discussions touch upon the presentations themselves.

Milijango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Milijango

Those are slightly better numbers than last year and similar to 2014. Sony getting over 120 this year vs 80 last year, Ubisoft 45 vs 17, other conferences about equal. 2013 had huge E3 threads (600+ posts for Sony) but that was the start of 8th gen so that should come as no surprise.

If you're looking for sheer volume of discussion Giant Bomb is not really the place. The main Zelda thread on NeoGAF is sitting at 76 pages already. Hell, NeoGAF's Giant Bomb E3 thread is 253 pages.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

I guess you haven't been in the live stream chats. That shit has been absolutely insane.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By OurSin_360

Well you have to add the comments from the videos as well as i don't think they show up in the forum like they used to. Also, I think people are less engaged especially for nintendo, Zelda is great and all but that's all they had so there isn't much to even comment on. I think most the games showed look the same as games that already came out(or are sequels to games that already came out), even Horizon which looks great reminds me of a cross between enslaved and tomb raider. Nothing real big was stated about any of the new hardware coming out, besides microsoft acknowledging Scorpio. Not much to discuss honestly. And yes, a lot is discussed in chat during the streams.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Fredchuckdave

That's much more an indicator of forum health than E3 health, if you're getting a million+ viewers on twitch I think people are probably engaged. Personally I just come for the games, don't give a shit about upgraded consoles or VR, and the games were alright basically. Horizon continues to look great and they somehow made God of War interesting.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#16  Edited By Slag

I hate to say it but I think @milijangois right. This is a forum specific issue. GB forums have felt like they've been shrinking really ever since the CBSi buyout despite sub number etc going up. Chat was certainly busy last night, there was 4k ppl or so in there

I think that's true for most indepedent forum sites. Places like Twitch, Twitter, Tumblr, Reddit etc absorb most of the conversation these days. I know neogaf even as massive as they are appears to be slowly losing views

Avatar image for deactivated-5909e94ba2838
    deactivated-5909e94ba2838

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GB forums are dying, go to neogaf.

VannaDwight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By VannaDwight

@takayamasama: Comments like this make me wish there was a upvote or thumbs up button.

sungahymn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@mike said:

I guess you haven't been in the live stream chats. That shit has been absolutely insane.

I've been on them, you just haven't had to boot me. ;-) I think I was just looking at longer form writing of people thoughts that were "summing up" the stage show.
    Maybe, over the next few days people will go back and look that the recordings to sum up their feelings.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.