Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

E3 2016

Concept »

The twenty-second annual Electronic Entertainment Expo took place June 14-16, 2016 at the Los Angeles Convention Center in Los Angeles, California.

That Singer at the Sony Press Conference was apparently Eivør

Chronologist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Hey, thought I'd provide a bit of info on something that some of you probably thought was pretty left-field at the Sony Press Conference.
    In the middle of the orchestral opening, a female singer suddenly jumped out and "sang" into a microphone, with "strange" sounds coming out of her vocal chords. They didn't mention her, nor use her again.

But that singer is actually a super talented singer from the Faroe Islands called "Eivør" (pronounced sort of like Ai-wer), and she's done that type of singing (I actually don't know if that has a name, someone more knowledgeable are welcome to enlighten me) on several of her songs, but at the same time, she's also has a really incredible voice (just watch this).

And also, allow me to say how much of a mindfuck I had when I realized it was her at the press conference. I've known her for a while now and never seen anyone sing like that while drumming on that type of drum, so I was pretty sure it was her, and her facebook confirms it, but it just seemed so out of nowhere I didn't believe for a long time.

And it seems she might be involved with the new God of War soundtrack as well? Which is cool since her music (especially the Faroean stuff) is heavily inspired by old Norse mythology and folklore. This, in some odd way, actually makes me way more excited for the game.

So there, hope that provides some insight into this unexpected part of E3.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

Her high notes in the (just watch this) video remind me of Kate Bush, and I mean that as a very high complement. Beautiful voice, indeed.

Try the 1:15 mark, for what I'm talking about. [edit] After reading the You Tube comments for that video, it seems I'm not the only one who hears a bit of Kate Bush in her voice.

Loading Video...

Rahf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Rahf

Sounds like a modern joik (yoik). But also like an older folk song from the Nordic countries.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.