Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

E3 2018

Concept »

The twenty-fourth Electronic Entertainment Expo was held June 12-14, 2018 at the Los Angeles Convention Center in Los Angeles, California.

Your E3 Favourites?

The_Greg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I know Nintendo hasn't had its conference yet, but I wanted kick the conversation off whilst it's still hot and fresh. Nintendo fans can jump on later today.

Let's keep it positive with these 3 questions:

1. What was the highlight of E3 for you?

2. Which developer had the best conference, in your opinion, and why?

3. What are your top 5 most anticipated titles, based on what we've seen at E3?

For me:

1. Beyond Good and Evil 2 was the highlight. They didn't show us much, but that trailer was brilliant and I am desparate to know more about this game.

2. Bethesda had the best conference for me. Two Elder Scrolls games announced, a new DOOM, Starfield confirmed. Also, they made Fallout 76 and Rage 2 look interesting.

3. My top 5 are:

- Elder Scrolls: Blades. I know this is silly, but I play more mobile games than anything at this point. Very interested in this.

- Cyberpunk 2077. This could be the perfect video game - a Witcher 3 style RPG in a Sci-Fi setting, and that trailer was sweet.

- Starfield. I need to know more about this game. Everything I've heard sounds right up my street.

- Beyond Good and Evil. Again, I'm desparate to know more about this.

- Elder Scrolls 6. Need I explain?

valiom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

1.That Last of Us Part Two animation was legit.

2. Sony or M$ were both good. M$ showed a ton of games, Sony hit with the big guns. That Sony conference had a REAL weird pace to it though.

-Cyberpunk 2077

-The Last of Us Part Two

-Ghost of Tsushima

-Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

-Beyond Good and Evil

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. The Cyberpunk 2077 ’hack’.

2. Overall Microsoft for their avalanche of games, even though I don’t own nor necessarily plan on buying an Xbox One.

3. There were a handfull I am quite curious about, but I think these are the top ones. Sure, I am always curious about the future Bethesda titles but at this point they are more conceptually interesting and wait and see than something I can muster real excitement for. So my list would probably be in order of excitement;

- Cyberpunk 2077

- Ghost of Tsushima

- Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

- Control (Alan Wake was my last Remedy title for obvious reasons mentioned above and I tend to love their games).

- Anthem (I could go for a few others on this spot but I am ultimately more excited/curious what this will end up being. As I still hold some trust in Bioware.)

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

That Last of Us trailer is something else. It reminds me of the days when I'd download a trailer to my psp and just watch it over and over again.

Cyberpunk looks better than anything else though - I need to pretend it doesn't exist though 'cause that isn't coming anytime soon.

But I think Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice is my favorite of the pressers. It made me say "oh shit" when I thought it was a Tenchu game, but even after the title reveal I was all like, "oh shit." >_<

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

1. Highlight was the Cyberpunk trailer
    2. As far as a developer I think that Sony had a better showing with their exclusive/first party titles. Microsoft really didn't show me any exclusives that "wowed" me.
    3. My top 5 games from E3 (requires gameplay, no CG trailers)
    - Ghosts of Tsushima
    - Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
    - Spider-Man
    - Control (looked amazing, in my opinion)
    - Dying Light 2

The_Greg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sammo21: I definitely need gameplay footage for games that otherwise wouldn't interest me.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#7  Edited By liquiddragon

Highlight: Devil May Cry 5 and Resident Evil 2.

Best Conference: Microsoft. They had the smoothest, best flowing show packed with games though best conference doesn't mean they come out looking like they "won." The best or most interesting stuff they showed like DMC5, Metro, Seriko, or Cyberpunk certainly favors their conference but at the end of day, ppl are just going to play those on their preferred platforms.

Top 5:

• Devil May Cry 5
    • Resident Evil 2
    • Dragon Quest 11
    • Metro Exodus
    • ? (I'll wait and see what Nintendo shows)

I want to put Beyond Good and Evil 2, Death Stranding, Cyberpunk 2077 and Control but they seem too early.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cdbdf5c5a6e1
    deactivated-5cdbdf5c5a6e1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I’d put BGE ahead of Cyberpunk because they showed more of what it’ll really be although neither truly showed unedited pure gameplay.

The wildcard unexpected game hype would be Crew 2.

capybarathered

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Fist of the North Star - Lost Paradise being released outside of Japan. I'm not super familiar with FotNS, but I'm still digging the Yakuza-style of game.

2. I'm split between Microsoft and Sony. Microsoft showed a lot of games and spent just enough extra time to highlight certain games. Despite the weird intermission, I liked Sony's decision to focus on their upcoming big name exclusives.

3. My Top 5.

• Fist of the North Star - Lost Paradise - Didn't think it would get a US release, but I'm happy its happening.
    • Dragon Quest XI - It's been awhile since I've played a super traditional JRPG, and a recent Toriyama kick has increased my interest in this.
    • Tales of Vesperia - Definitive Edition - I skipped the last two Tales games and was always bummed the PS3 version of this never came out.
    • The Persona rhythm games - It's probably not a big surprise (hopefully not the LAST SURPRISE) that they're getting a US release, but it's nice to have confirmation.
    • Resident Evil 2 Remake - RE2 was super interesting when it came out and it'll be nice to play an updated and reworked version.

Honorary mentions to Elder Scrolls VI and Cyberpunk 2077, but those seem so far off that I can't get too hyped for them.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By beforet

1. E3 Highlight: I haven't been able to stop thinking about Kingdom Hearts since I saw that trailer three times.

2. Best conference: Microsoft fucking knocked it out of the park this year, and after I was expecting them to have a weak year. I don't know how good it was for Microsoft specifically like with exclusives, but it had the biggest "Holy shit" quotient for me.

3. Top 5, in no particular order

• Devil May Cry 5
    • Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
    • Cyberpunk
    • Kingdom Hearts
    • Babylon's Fall
    Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

DMC5 and Ghost of Tsushima. Spiderman also caught me in his web. GET IT

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ThePanzini

Over the last couple E3's I really like the Ubisoft format each game gets at least few minutes of gameplay with someone usually the developer giving some context, but unfortunately Ubisoft didn't really have anything different to show. EA since the dawn of time is destined for mediocrity their shows are very corporate and never show anything even when they surely can show more. MS had a good show but didn't really announce anything new adding more studios was a good move for the future but I really don't like the useless indie montages, list wars and them touting the word exclusive a million times over. Ghost of Tsushima is easily the highlight for me with Cyberpunk 2077 and The Last of Us Part 2 not far behind, Sony had really good content and quite a few announcements in an awful show.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mellotronrules

1. the last of us part 2- by a country mile. that trailer demonstrates that naughty dog is still combining best-in-class graphics along with really strong character writing, so i'm 100% sold. this the first game in a looong time (since mass effect 2 probably) i've seen promo material for that has me deeply excited.

2. probably sony for me- simply because they have the titles that i'm most personally interested in. but microsoft was slickest.

3. the last of us part 2; cyberpunk; ghost of tsushima; doom eternal; fire emblem three houses. my heart would like to include anthem, but they really didn't bring the goods for me.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

1) Cyberpunk 2077 / This looks exactly up my alley as far as interests. The fact its made by those who made the Witcher, is even better. Beyond Good and Evil / This also was a huge standout for me. I want to know more, we still don't know anything nor any idea of when it'll actually release but the trailer was awesome.

2) Ubisoft for me. Probably due to Beyond Good and Evil, AC: Odyssey really does look gorgeous and I'm on board with their other stuff.

3) Cyberpunk 2077 / Beyond Good and Evil 2 / Elder Scrolls IV (though it was only a teaser. not even sure if it counts at this point since there's really nothing else to say beside they are working on it) / Kingdom Hearts / DOOM Eternal

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By nicksmi56

Never thought I'd say this, but Microsoft totally won E3. A bunch of games coming in fast and furious, with a few great surprises. No musical nonsense or time-wasting speeches. Just one game after the other, exactly how it should be.

I have no idea what my game of show is. I was a huge Smash fan when Melee and Brawl were popular, and it's great to see that Gamecube controllers (the one true Smash controller) are making a comeback, but as an adult I don't have a bunch of friends willing to come over and Smash like I used to, and my brother is off playing other things. And online gaming sucks for the most part so that's another dead end. So despite a bunch of characters I love coming back, I'm hard-pressed to say I'll actually buy it right now.

So in terms of new games I'll realistically buy and play in the near future, it's probably Overcooked 2 as #1 and the Tales of Vesperia remaster in 2nd. Overcooked 1 was a hell of a time for my gf and I, and we got many hours of enjoyment out of the main game, so we'll probably pick up the second after we finish off the DLC. And Tales of Vesperia just looks cool. A beefy JRPG for my Switch is always welcome, and it seems like people really love this one.

If I had to add in a third, probably Super Mario Party. Mario Parties are always a fun time, and I actually have a dedicated group of people for that one. Plus the return of board based gameplay instead of that lame train!!

Overall, I can't help but feel a little let down about E3 this year. Of course we can't expect a 2017 every year, but I was still hoping for at least one surprise that really blew me away. Oh well.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By pweidman

I thought that Microsoft's conference was really well done, and the news of dev team acquisitions was important, Ninja Theory especially. Ubisoft's conference was joyous and fun w/just a great not so self-serious tone(except The Division 2 director :-). Sony's conference was weird and disjointed a bit, but they showed some very impressive games. Bethesda's show, on the other hand, was tremendously underwhelming.

Games I wanna play the most based on what I saw:

1. Cyberpunk 2077

2. Forza Horizon 4

3. Last of Us 2

4. Beyond Good and Evil 2

5. Dying Light 2

Seems like a very good year for E3 in terms of impressive game showings.

HaniHani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. The sheer number of exciting new video games at this year's E3 has been amazing. Even the fact that I will probably play some of these as a withered old man, has not made this E3 a bit less exciting.

2. Year after year it is becoming more apparent that just watching the trailers on youtube would be more efficient use of time. I think I can survive without dancing pandas and awkward hosts ..probably.

3. My top 5 favorites in no particular order:

• Cyberpunk 2077 - Did you see it? That lady had no face. How is she going to apply lipstick? I hope this and many other questions are going to be answered in Cyberpunk 2077.
    • Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - Sekiro might not have those terrible barking crows, but it has other incredibly filthy enemies. From Software could release poop in a bag and I would still buy it.
    • Nioh 2 - It's only a sequel to the best playing third person action ever made, no big deal. Surprisingly, the main character did not complain about headache despite having two smouldering demon spikes jammed through his brain.
    • Ghost of Tsushima - There was a third samurai game, huh? This samurai boy had a perfectly fine hand and head. And a cool hat.
    • Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise - For those of you who don't know the perfection that is the Fist of the North Star, it is basically like Mad Max, but everyone is Bruce Lee on steroids. And after a fight, the loser usually explodes in a gory mess. And what's that? The game is made by the Yakuza team? Sign me the fuck up.
    Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By Seikenfreak

Hmm. Overall, Microsoft probably had the best conference, purely because they did it in the correct format. A bunch of games and minimal talking. I don't remember a bunch of long winded demos. Sony used to have this format which made the rise of the PS4 so great and has since lost their way. But what Microsoft had to offer doesn't necessarily make me want to dive in on their stuff and get an Xbox One X (although I do want one, because I get everything eventually) I've got an S and it will continue to collect dust. They've got a long way to go to build a good line up of exclusive games.

Other notes: No real major onstage screw ups. No big train wrecks. Not much awkwardness. That sort of stuff is half the reason I watch the conferences live so yea. Kinda disappointing but they are learning.

Games I want to buy and play right now:

Sekiro is probably my first pick. Everything about this looks good to me so far. From Software has just figured out the perfect blend of gritty realism mixed with unique creativity that I like.

Satisfactory is definitely one. Made a separate thread on this and no one seems to care lol I know there are fans of Factorio on this site (including Vinny) Really want to try this ASAP, I just hope it isn't built around multiplayer and the UI is good etc. Factorio is crazy addicting and I've spent 16 hour days playing it.

Games I'm curious about/want to play but who knows if I will or not/need to see more:

Resident Evil 2 - Theoretically I want to play this. RE2 was my entry into the series and it scared the shit out of me. I had the game for a long time and never got very far because I was too young/scared (somewhere around 10 years old I guess.) At some point down the line I started it again and actually got into it and it was still scary as hell but I beat it. I really liked Resident Evil 7.

Ghosts of Tsuhima - I think I liked everything I saw except it looked a little stiff/the fighting animations could use some work.

Cyberpunk 2077 - Just about everything about the universe looks cool. What is the game and will it feel kinda weird/crappy like Witcher and thus I won't really play it?

Starlink - Part of me thinks hell yea I want to check this out. I said it before but it kinda looks like No Mans Sky and what a Star Fox game should be. I want to play this. And then I remember it's got the toy aspect and that means buying a bunch of that stuff and I think.. Well I guess I'm not actually going to play this.

Dying Light 2 - Pretty looking. Brad makes it sound like this should be amazing. I dunno. I'm curious.

Dragon Quest XI - Never played one before. A dearth of more classic-ish japanese RPGs these days so I kinda want to check this out. Partially because I played Dragon Quest Builders and I enjoyed that art style.

Thats all I can think of and is worth noting at the moment. I've got thoughts on everything of course but I kinda wrote those in the individual conference threads.

Also just noticed you had an intended format for posts.. my bad.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Top 5 most anticpated in no particular order:

• DOA6
    • Nioh 2
    • Sekiro
    • Ghosts of Tsushima
    • Beyond Good & Evil 2

...and also

• Control
    • Rage 2
    • Wolfenstein: Youngblood
    • Cyberpunk 2077
    • Devil May Cry 5
    • Sea of Solitude
    • Dragon Quest XI
    • HItman 2

Highlight of the show? I don't know, really. I genuinely enjoyed the opening to Ubisoft's conference because it feels like they're still trying to put on a show. I guess you could say the same about Sony now that I think about it, but meh, I preferred Ubisoft's. As for best conference overall, I think I'm gonna have to give it to Microsoft. They had games, games, and more games. Very few were exclusive, sure, but they still had games.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Cyberpunk 2077 trailer was the best thing I've seen in videogames in many years. There is so much going on I just want to soak it all in. The way it was integrated into Microsoft's show was pretty well done, too. As a singular entity, Sony's first party stuff is miles ahead of everybody else. TLoU 2, Spider-Man, and Ghost of Tsushima all look great. Death Stranding looks intriguing and has me wanting to know more at least. I thought Microsoft easily had the best conference. A lot of games I want to play. Cyberpunk 2077, Sekiro, Crackdown 3, Forza Horizon, DMC5, Ori 2, Tunic, Gears Tactics, more Cuphead, Session, Dying Light 2, and I could go on.

My top 5:

1. Cyberpunk 2077
    2. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - I'm a huge Dark Souls fan, and this seems to be a blend of that with some Tenchu, amazing boss fights, and verticality with the grappling hook. This is extremely my shit.
    3. TLoU 2 - I'm sort just ignoring how this doesn't seem like it has a whole lot to do with the first Last of Us and pretending that it's a new IP. And it looks amazing. The combat looks super fun, and when has Naughty Dog ever made a bad game?
    4. Resident Evil 2 - RE2 was always my favorite of the PS1 era games and I've been eagerly anticipating this game thinking it's just going to be a shot for shot redo with nice backgrounds like the first REmake. Nope, they are just going to overhaul the whole thing, make it over the shoulder, and it looks incredible. Best part is it's not that far away.
    5. Dying Light 2 - Kind of a dark horse for me, but if they make good on the vision, which granted is super ambitious, this game could be incredible.

Normally I'd throw some shade at Bethesda, not because it was outright bad, but they focused on stuff I don't care about (Fallout, Elder Scrolls), and gave next to nothing on the stuff I like (Wolfenstein, Doom). I realize the former is how their bread gets buttered, so it makes sense. But, considering how bad EA and Nintendo were, Bethesda doesn't even rate on a "things I disliked" list.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By BigBoss1911

1. Last of Us 2. I find it hard to believe the PS4 can even run that game, just wish we got a release date. Easy system seller.

2. Bethesda and it wasn't even close. Excited for a new Doom already and though it's probably AT LEAST 3 years off, it was nice they acknowledged ES 6's existence.

Last of Us 2

Resident Evil 2

Cyberpunk 2077

Halo Infinite

Devil May Cry 5

Bonus thought: I have virtually zero interest in Death Stranding at this point. I'm just sick of these cryptic ass trailers that show or tell nothing whatsoever what the game's about. Not to mention 70% of the demo was just Norman Reedus walking. Boring.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never thought I'd say this, but Microsoft totally won E3. A bunch of games coming in fast and furious, with a few great surprises. No musical nonsense or time-wasting speeches. Just one game after the other, exactly how it should be.

I've never been a fan of the idea of companies "winning" or "losing" E3, but does showing a ton of games that you can play on other platforms really qualify as "winning?" If you want to say Microsoft had the best conference, I can get on board with that, but the Xbox brand itself had a poor showing. A ton of their touted "exclusives" were given with the label "console launch exclusive" which the lamest stretch to call something exclusive one can imagine. They showed very little that you can only get in the Xbox ecosystem, and the few they did have like Forza Horizon and Crackdown I felt were overshadowed by the third party stuff in their conference.

As someone with no console allegiances that will play good games wherever they are, I thoroughly enjoyed Microsoft's conference, but I don't feel like it did much to entice people towards the Xbox. I have hard time saying they "won" because of that.

cerberus3dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By cerberus3dog
    1. Cyberpunk 2077
    2. Last of Us Part 2
    3. Spider-Man
    4. Sekiro
    5. Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Favorite conference to watch was Microsoft. Sony's presentation was super weird. That Cyberpunk trailer was my highlight. I've watched that thing half a dozen times now and there is so many details packed in there.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@the_greg said:

I know Nintendo hasn't had its conference yet, but I wanted kick the conversation off whilst it's still hot and fresh. Nintendo fans can jump on later today.

Let's keep it positive with these 3 questions:

1. I guess, mostly, I'm impressed less with a single game and more with the level of maturity, professionalism, and inclusivity that was present throughout most of the conferences this year. Barring a few examples to the contrary, most of the pressers have been extremely polished, have almost completely dropped the reliance on cheap influencer pops, and have established at least a tacit acknowledgment of the changing social atmosphere surrounding gaming and game enthusiasts. My favorite example was during the Microsoft conference--when they showed the new Xbox Adaptive Controller up front and center in the Forza Horizon demo. Everyone deserves to enjoy their own power fantasy. And gaming is an unparalleled unifier. The more these major organizations start treating it as such, the more I hope to see things like broader (and, indeed, more specified) diversity within the industry, within the games we play, and eventually, within the audiences we're a part of.

2. I had a good time watching the Bethesda conference. I can't wait to play the games shown at Sony's conference. I'm rooting for Microsoft to continue building a bright future for their platform.

I suppose a three-way tie, then.

3. Resident Evil 2, Halo Infinite, Ghosts of Tsushima, Cyberpunk 2077, and whatever Ninja Theory will make under the Microsoft umbrella. (I'd like to note that this list could easily be ten games longer.)
    Dragon_Puncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Microsoft and Sony were miles ahead of everyone else. EU and Nintendo were an embarrassmen. Overall I think I liked Sony's better because they had more gameplay.

Top 5 games of the show:

1. Last of Us 2

2. Cyperpunk 2077

3. Resident Evil 2

4. Hitman 2

5. Spider-man

It was a weird year though that felt kinda bad overall. With some new console info probably starting to drop next year I guess that will be a lot more exciting.

The_Greg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hardly any of it really appealed to me, but that's not a thing like as a complaint. Just sort of works out that way, for me

As like many others, I am excited about Cyberpunk 2077.

NIOH 2, oh hell yes.

Babylon Fall looked intriguing for the art and Souls like atmosphere.

TLOU 2, I may try to get into.

The Division 2, maybe also.

The Ghosts of Toshima I probably would not play, but has my interest anyways.

Well see about some other games.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

1. Microsoft's focus on first-party game development. Several titles in the pipe look promising, and acquiring some studios and opening a dedicated office for first-party development has the future looking pretty bright there. It's what people asked for, so it's good to see them responding.

2. Xbox, IMO. People asked for games and that's what they showed. We also got confirmation of future Xbox consoles, which is nice to hear from a long-term commitment standpoint. It sounds like a Fable is in the works as well, though not official yet.

3. Based just on E3, which excludes some previously revealed stuff like HITMAN 2 that I'm excited about, here's what piqued my interest:

• Forza Horizon 4 - The gameplay changes and setting look promising, and these games have a damn good track record of quality so far.
    • Ghost of Tsushima - This game looks rad. Even if the gameplay/story falls short, I'm almost sold on the presentation itself.
    • Cyberpunk 2077 - That styyylllee, man. CDPR adds another layer of promise here as well.
    • Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - Ninja Souls is something I could be down for. I may have to decide between this and Ghost of Tsushima.
    • The Last of Us Part II - Tonally weird trailer with the juxtaposition, but the game itself looks very slick and good.

Honorable mentions: Dying Light 2 is the first zambie game that's intrigued me in forever, We Happy Few looks like it's back on the right track, AC: Odyssey looks like it could be solid, and Death Stranding continues to be utterly fascinating Kojima nonsense.

Avatar image for deactivated-633c70ff026e8
    deactivated-633c70ff026e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought Microsoft had the best conference, but Sony's games looked so good.

These are my most anticipated games in order. I kind of lost my hype for Death Stranding, I still don't know what it is tbh

• Halo Infinite
    • Elder Scrolls VI
    • Ghost of Tsushima
    • Gears of War 5
    • Forza Horizon 4
    • Sekiro Shadows Die Twice
    • Resident Evil 2
    • Assassin Creed Odyssey
    • The Last of Us 2

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By nicksmi56

@ll_exile_ll said:
    @nicksmi56 said:

I've never been a fan of the idea of companies "winning" or "losing" E3, but does showing a ton of games that you can play on other platforms really qualify as "winning?" If you want to say Microsoft had the best conference, I can get on board with that, but the Xbox brand itself had a poor showing. A ton of their touted "exclusives" were given with the label "console launch exclusive" which the lamest stretch to call something exclusive one can imagine. They showed very little that you can only get in the Xbox ecosystem, and the few they did have like Forza Horizon and Crackdown I felt were overshadowed by the third party stuff in their conference.

As someone with no console allegiances that will play good games wherever they are, I thoroughly enjoyed Microsoft's conference, but I don't feel like it did much to entice people towards the Xbox. I have hard time saying they "won" because of that.

When I say they "won," I do mean best conference. If I'm going by the metric of "OMG I need to get that system," everyone lost horribly.

Xbox, as you said, showed very little that was specifically on their console and out of those, only Ori looks particularly impressive to someone outside of their ecosystem. Everything else was only really impressive if you're already a fan of that franchise. Heck, Halo was only a CG trailer.

Sony's presentation was stilted, awkward and outright boring at times (why is E3 so obsessed with random music?). Tsushima is surprisingly stiff and not very interesting outside of visuals. Death Stranding continues to be a big ball of nothing. Last of Us is meh. Spider-Man is automated trash that somehow manages to fall short of a Spidey game from more than a decade ago. The best game there was RE2 Remake, which is both a remake of an old game and a multiplat on top of that.

And as popular as Smash is, Nintendo spending 90% of its conference detailing every minute detail of Smash wasn't the way to go. It made the conference drag after a while and was mostly aimed at existing fans. Fire Emblem looks cool, but it's not a system seller. Neither is Mario Party.

So yeah, if we're talking about system-selling exclusives, everyone gets an F.

Avatar image for misterbananafoam
    MisterBananaFoam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 13

1. A split between the Cyberpunk reveal and the Smash Ultimate infodump

2. It's my bias showing, but IMO it's a tie between Nintendo and Microsoft. Microsoft dragged on in the middle but had some really good reveals and gameplay snippets at the end, while Nintendo was short and didn't really have as much to present, but I was genuinely impressed and happy with pretty much everything they showed off.

3. In no particular order:

• Smash Bros. Ultimate
    • Devil May Cry 5
    • Dying Light 2
    • Starlink
    • Cyberpunk 2077
    BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best conference was Microsoft's surprisingly. (given the lack of exclusives)

Top five games i'm most excited for:

1. Cyberpunk 2077
    2. Death Stranding
    3. Dead or Alive 6
    4. Devil May Cry 5
    5. Nioh 2

I'm pretty pissed we saw nothing of the new Metroid Prime or Bayonetta 3.

TheFlamingo352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TheFlamingo352

1) Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice. FromSoft has been batting 1.000 for about ten years now, and new mobility options and departure from the "Souls" name has me extremely excited.

2) Bethesda. I also believe Microsoft maybe had the better conference, but the Bethesda show's performance and presentation felt very well-paced and confident. Again, I could give it to Microsoft as well.

3) In no particular order: Cyberpunk 2077, Sekiro, Starfield, Dying Light 2, and Spiderman. Aside from Spiderman (I love so many Spiderman games), my favourite showings were for games that feel like they have a lot of potential for cool, memorable world design.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

1.Cyberpunk 2077 trailer, the only thing i felt was worth rewatching over and over.

2.Hard to say. Microsoft had the best format but Bethesda had more games i'm interested in. So lets just say Sunday won E3.

1. Cyberpunk 2077 - Even if it just shapes up to be like Witcher 3 (highly detailed world with kinda crap combat) i think i'm still on board.
    2. Hitman 2 - already know i'm going to enjoy more Hitman but i'm curious what the "full" released game will be.
    3. Rage 2 - If it's Doom FPS combat with Mad Max vehicular combat, i'm gonna love it.
    4. Doom Eternal - I liked Doom so more is good.
    5. ...

Honorable mentions, Chris Avallone's Dying Light 2 could be interesting. I didn't play the first one so i'm not hyped for it but if the dynamic story telling works well, it it has me intrigued. Sekiro looks interesting to me but don't really know what to expect. Tenchu meets Dark Souls? Unexpectedly, Gears Tactics looks like something i could be into so i'll keep my eye on it. Not sure what to make of Fallout 76, i liked parts of Fallout4 but overall it was disappointing. Elder Scrolls Blades has my curiosity. It almost looks like the combat on the phone manages to be better than the combat in the real games. As for the other Bethesda games, Starfield and ES 6, way too early to be excited for them.

The rest of the Conferences,

EA: As a fan of Battlefield up until Battlefield 3, and someone who hasn't bought an EA game since the disappointing Need For Speed Most Wanted reboot, i'd say Battlefield 5 looks like it could be an ok game but i just have so little faith in EA that it's hard to get excited for anything they do...Everything other than Batt5 i could not care less about.

Devolver Digital: I skipped this one and only caught the game highlights, dunno what Metal Wolf Chaos is. Could be interesting. My Friend Pedro looks floaty and too "auto action-y". And i'm not hugely into multiplayer survival games so Scum does nothing for me.

Square Enix: The first Tomb Raider reboot was ok but not interesting enough to get excited for the rest of the series, yet it was the only thing here that's worthy of note.

Ubisoft: again, nothing here for me. I've played the first 3 Assassin Creed games and i'm good there. i like Trials, but not enough to get excited for more of the same. If there's depth, no pun intended, to Skull and Bones maybe it'll be ok but doesn't look good enough to make me want to jump through the U-Play hurdle.

PC Gaming Show: As expected you get your largest variety of gaming here but i'm not a fan of the talk show format, it's completely unnecessary for this thing to be a live show. The few highlights for me were Hitman 2, Anno 1800, Two Point Hospital and Valkyeria Chronicles 4 which was just a small part of a Sega collage of games. The biggest lowlight, hearing "Neo Cab" - thinking, "Quarantine spiritual successor" - realizing, "No, it's a visual novella".

Sony: Disappointing and a bit oddly formulaic in their main presentations. The Last of Us 2 , "gameplay" gave me a, "Division closing the car door" vibe. Ghost of Tsuhima just looked to be in the same camp of, "pretty w/ thin gameplay" which seems to be a Sony exclusives trademark. Death Stranding at least had the decency to cut between cutscene and apparent gameplay, though, boring gameplay. Spiderman's presentation also looked more interested in being "cinematic" rather than a game despite the fact that i've previously seen what looks like real gameplay and that footage at least looked good. So by the end of it, Sony's...thing, just looked like a scam and an analogue for how samey their exclusives seem to be.

Nintendo: Killer Queen coming to consoles seems cool but i've never actually played the arcade game to know if it's any good. Overcooked 2, sure, i liked the first one. Nothing else stood out to me personally.

Avatar image for genericbrotagonist
    GenericBrotagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Kingdom Hearts 3. It's finally happening.

2. Microsoft. They needed a ton of games and they got them.

• Kingdom Hearts 3
    • Devil May Cry 5
    • Cyberpunk 2077
    • Tetris Effect
    • Beyond Good and Evil 2
    youeightit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

(In no particular order)

Ghosts of Tsushima

Tetris Effect

Cyberpunk 2077

Crayola Scoot (thanks Wario 64 for pointing this easily missable but charming/probably bad game to my attention)

My Friend Pedro

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#37  Edited By Captain_Insano

This years E3 has been solid, but there's been very few standouts for me in terms of "Wow, I have to get that!". Too many unknown quantities with a lot of the titles mentioned.

Conference wise, I think they were all pretty solid. EA was bad but far less so than it has been in the past few years. Microsoft had a strong conference but I also don't think there's too many games that I really am that interested in, other than Gears of XCOM. Sony by far had one of the worst conferences, but the games shown were strong.

Games I will Definitely Get

Hitman 2 - you had me at Hitman 2

The Last of Us 2 - but not because of its showing at E3. If anything, the level of violence seems ramped up from the first one and actually put me off. But I really liked the first game and Naughty Dog have a proven track record

Cyberpunk 2077 - I will buy this when it comes out in 2077

Games I'm interested in but need to see more of first/will wait till on sale or cheaper

Ghosts of Tsushima, Seika(?): Spirits Die Twice, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, AC: Odyssey

Games that I may be interested in once I know what the fuck is actually going on, but that I also may be completely disinterested in

Fallout 76, Death Stranding

tatsuyarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

1. Phil Spencer announcing that Microsoft has acquired Ninja Theory.

2. Microsoft because they showed they are listening and are committed to Xbox.

3. In no particular order because I want to play them all as soon as possible :

- Shadow of the Tomb Raider (the crew seems to hate a lot on this franchise reboot and I don’t understand why)

- Sekiro (new game from From Software baby!)

- Nioh 2 (I loved the first one so nothing against more)

- Cyberpunk 2077

- Assassin’s creed Odyssey (first time I’m excited for an AC game since 2)

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Favorite/most memorable moment: Todd Howard announcing confirming Starfield AND Elder Scrolls VI. Yes they're just logos and far away, but just getting it over announcing two next-gen games made me happy. Don't care if it's we won't hear anymore about the latter for half a decade.

Best Show: Microsoft easily. Took a page from Sony and just showed a delude of games, many looking promising. Yeah their actual first party lineup is still thin, but they're looking decent for what they are and picking up new studios like Ninja Theory will pay off in the future. Phil continues to right the ship. Sony better look out when the next gen turnover happens.

Most anticipated (no order):

• Devil May Cry 5
    • Resident Evil 2
    • Cyberpunk 2077
    • Ghosts of Tsushima
    • Death Stranding
    • Fallout 76
    • Dragon Quest XI
    • Valkyria Chronicles 4
    • SoulCalibur VI
    • Metal Wolf Chaos XD (!)

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TES6, easily. I know its like 5 years away at the very least and basically a next gen title but just seeing the words on a screen made me so happy.

The best conference was easily MS's. Whether you want an Xbox, have one already or don't want to play on one they showed a bunch of great looking games. Them acquiring Undead Labs, Playground Games and Ninja Theory was pretty cool too. I really want to see what Ninja Theory can do with a bigger budget, they've always been super ambitious.

Im only gonna pick stuff that showed something resembling gameplay or something out next year

• Ori 2
    • Metro Exodus
    • Dying Light 2
    • Shadow of the Tomb Raider
    • Assassins Creed Odyssey
    FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Cyberpunk 2077 trailer was pretty dope. I just hope that my 1060 can run it well enough, granted that I play in 1080p.

Honestly, they all kinda blend together by the end of it, but I'll give it to Ubisoft despite the lack of Aisha Tyler. Beyond Good and Evil 2 is on my anticipated games list.

Just three: Cyberpunk 2077, Kingdom Hearts III, and Beyond Good and Evil 2. If I have to look at what other people posted to get ideas for fourth and fifth place, then they're not really worth mentioning outside of honorary mentions. So, honorary mentions go to Doom Eternal, Dying Light 2, Devil May Cry 5, Gears 5, Forza Horizon 4 (sort of 'cause I still have a lot to do in Horizon 3), and Elder Scrolls VI.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.