Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

EVE Online

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released May 06, 2003

EVE Online is a loosely structured science fiction MMORPG published by CCP Games in which players take on the role of a spaceship pilot exploring a colonized galaxy.

EVE War Stories

fbh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By fbh

So I've never really heard about EVE Online until the most recent bombcast and while I've still no interest/time to start playing myself, I did read in the comments for the bombcast that there are some fucking awesome stories of rival factions, espionage, etc. I was wondering if anyone here would have more detailed stories of that nature to share or maybe know a good place to find these fascinating events recorded in the annals of gaming history.

Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Donos

Up until recently there was a pretty good EVE podcast called Podded Podcast, which covered news every few weeks. It's an entertaining show, and they covered a lot of the big stories. For example, Goonswarm attacking their own systems to prevent another alliance from attacking them, then getting accidentally disbanded then robbed blind by their director who was on vacation for a week. Podded's still up on iTunes, so check it out.

RagingLion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By RagingLion

I follow the PC focused blog Rock,Paper,Shotgun and one of the guys there Jim Rossignol played EVE online dedicatedly for a number of years and not so long ago wrote up his complete experiences of it centred around a Corp that he started up and ran for a long time.  This could be the kind of thing you're looking for: it's not one about the really high-level political coups that took place or anything but demonstrates how a group of people could end up having a really good time tracing their adventures and misadventures over a long time.  The pieces are quite long but I really found them quite moving and a gave a really good insight into the appeal of the game for those that are willing to invest in it.  You can find all 4 parts here.

Althox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Althox

Or just head over to EVE Onlines webpage and snook around. Everythings is there.

fbh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By fbh

Thanks guys :)

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Skytylz

There was one posted yesterday or today or something that's really good.

fbh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By fbh

@Skytylz: Yeah, I saw that one, and while it was pretty awesome, it's just not the same because it wasn't real...

ClaritySam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ClaritySam
    @RagingLion:  Thanks for that link man, it finally convinced me to start playing eve!
    jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By jimi

So a long while back I was pretty into EVE, I had finally got a good enough ship to hold my own in heavier combat and decided to become a pirate because, yo dawg pirates are pretty cool. 

Long story short my best ship got blown up along with my pod (your escape vessel) by some dude called Xlazorz or something. I then proceeded to quit EVE and havent touched an MMO since.

Althox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Althox
    @Jimi said:
    " So a long while back I was pretty into EVE, I had finally got a good enough ship to hold my own in heavier combat and decided to become a pirate because, yo dawg pirates are pretty cool.  Long story short my best ship got blown up along with my pod (your escape vessel) by some dude called Xlazorz or something. I then proceeded to quit EVE and havent touched an MMO since. "
    That's pretty much a daily thing for a PvP'er. You lose some, and gain some. Lost my ships countless of times against other players.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By AhmadMetallic

i know MikeMCN will be here in a moment to share a fuck ton of stories

Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Renahzor
    @Althox said:
    " @Jimi said:
    " So a long while back I was pretty into EVE, I had finally got a good enough ship to hold my own in heavier combat and decided to become a pirate because, yo dawg pirates are pretty cool.  Long story short my best ship got blown up along with my pod (your escape vessel) by some dude called Xlazorz or something. I then proceeded to quit EVE and havent touched an MMO since. "
    That's pretty much a daily thing for a PvP'er. You lose some, and gain some. Lost my ships countless of times against other players. "
    ^^This x 1million.  getting blown up is how eve goes, PvP = risk.  Its what makes eve a little different than most other MMOs. 
    Wolfenhex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Wolfenhex

EVE has a great history, but I was never part of anything big.  Not any kind of epic war story you'll read about on other sites, but I thought I'd share: 

I got very into EVE (twice!) and at one point I had 3 accounts being paid for with in-game money. 

The first time I was into EVE I ended up being an FC (fleet commander) for an alliance my corp help found.  At the time I was one of the few people interested in PVP so I'd get called on when there was trouble.  The alliance was mostly carebears, but a lot of them started getting interested in trying PVP.  I began taking them into low-sec (low security) space in small groups and picking fights with anyone we could catch.  We used cheap ships so even if we got blown up it wasn't a big deal.  It was a lot of fun and more and more people in the alliance seemed to be interested in PVP.  So much so that we decided to enter the EVE Alliance Tournament. 

Unfortunately, because most of the alliance was still carebears and had carebear skills trained, this created some problems.  It was also hard convincing most of them that EW (electronic warfare) could keep them safer than building a massive tank.  If that wasn't bad enough, we ended up being put in the group with some of the best PVP alliances.  We had no chance of winning but we still gave it our best shot.  We tried to use some crazy tactics and came close to winning a few times, but because I wasn't as a very experienced FC I made some mistakes which could have cost us the match (or maybe not, never know, I blame myself though).  After the tournament everyone was still interested in PVP, the alliance was even getting interested in wars and helped some of the other local corps outside the alliance.  I stopped  playing soon after though. 

The second time I was into EVE I continued playing the same character and was still in the same corp and alliance.  The leadership of the alliance had changed though and I found out the alliance continued with wars and PVPing.  Shortly after I started playing again the alliance decided to make a push into 0.0 space.  We actually did pretty well, we had a nice patch of space.  There were other FC's now, and some were more experienced than I was.  I was still needed though due to time zone differences and continued being an FC.  I also started carebearing and setup moon mining POS's for my corp.  Things were going good, almost all of my corp moved out and we lived out of our POS's like the rest of the alliance was.  We ended up even having our own community and mini-economy due to having to trade with each other.   There was a lot of fighting going on too and it was fun.  Real life changed things though, and at a bad time. 

Most of my corp could only play for brief periods of time because almost everyone was married and had kids.  This put a lot of pressure on me and at one point I ended up switching jobs and going from part-time to full-time (not a bad thing, but it did effect my EVE time).  This resulted in making it harder to take care of the POS's.  The alliance also decided to move out from the space we were in and claim better space.  Corps were packing up everything and moving.  My corp wasn't able to follow and got left behind.  Without the alliance around we couldn't keep watch 24 hours a day and our POS's got attacked.  Some were saved, some were lost.  Our primary home one was destroyed and some members of my corp lost everything they had because they did a complete move out to 0.0.  I stopped playing EVE again soon after.  So did most of the other members in my corp.

I don't think the alliance is around anymore (not with the same people I knew form it anyway).  I kept in touch with some of the people I knew.  Some of them joined new corps and alliances and went off and started pirating in low-sec or continued taking over 0.0 space while others went back to carebearing. 

This story may not be anything that will be mentioned in the history of EVE, but I know I at least made a tiny ripple.  That's the great thing about EVE.  Everything can effect everything else even in a small way.  It's much more like a world than any other MMO.

I'm sure I'll return to EVE again one day, probably to cause trouble in low-sec being that was some of the best times I had in EVE.  Until then, I think back fondly of EVE and the great times I had.

Vitamin_Dei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By Vitamin_Dei

All war stories begin with "No shit... THERE I WAS!", and go on from there. I expect to see that with every entry in this thread. I also expect that previous entries will be edited to adhere to the style guide. 

I also expect a pony.

Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Donos

No shit... THERE I WAS! Flying through lowsec in my railgun fitted (?) Thorax. Then some guy in a battlecruiser popped and I ragequit EVE for the better part of a year. Epic story, I know.

Albamo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Albamo

I remember venturing into low-sec in a rail-thorax to do a storyline mission when I was a newbie. I was completely paranoid, certain someone would try to hunt me down and checked the scanner for combat probes every few seconds. Seems like a lifetime ago now... (though the paranoia's still there)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.