Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fable III

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Oct 26, 2010

The third game in the Fable series sets you with the task of overthrowing your own brother, the tyrant ruler of Albion, as the kingdom enters the industrial era.

Not this time Molyneax.

• 80 results
    Darigaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Darigaz

The last two games got a lot of hype. Of course I was hyped. But as an MMO/Open world RPG fan, I felt these games were far to short. With the 1st one I can give the benefit of the doubt, and because of the quality of Fable I decided to give the 2nd one a chance, and guess what? It just wasn't enough. A game as "Large" and complex as this only offered me 12 hours at 100% completion? What is going on her Peter Molyneax? I feel like I'm not going to get enough bang for my buck this time around. He talks up fantastical worlds, adventures, danger, and wonder. I only get a very small taste of this when I play his games. (Overrated much?, maybe) Some things Fable is lacking:

1. Loot Lust. The games have like 4 sets of armor that don't really give stats. Weapons are okay I guess, still lacking in variety this portion of the game leaves MUCH to be desired.

2. Game length. Remember the snow place in the 1st game? Yeah that was the end of the game, as most "snow places" are However, I felt like that could have easily been the end of the 1st 50%. 4 sets of armor, (I judge the game based on loot progression/content which rightfully makes sense, guess not in fable =/) cool lets take it up a notch from here and really make our character shine.

3. Difficulty. I really felt like these games are far to easy, and lacking some serious complexity. More geared toward a smaller kid who likes to hack and slash their way through the story. They do a great job with what they give us though! But PETER ITS JUST NOT ENOUGH. Which brings me to my next point.

4. Content. We are promised things we just flat out don't get, or don't come close too. It's like when Oblivion hyped NPCs "Living out their daily lives." We get into the game and it means next to nothing, doesn't seem as cool as the tech demos described it as. "You can buy a whole town." Okay? Who gives a sh**? it doesn't do anything, except generate income (which is far to easy to get already.) I don't care about my wife, or my kid either. Why should I? (However I do feel a pet dog is awesome.)

5. The "Mystery Factor." One thing that Fable does almost right. This one brings me back to my childhood. Walking down through a corridor or a windy forest path and seeing a large imposing door. Looking at it and thinking "Oh my god I bet there is some cool sh** back there! I wonder how far in the game I have to be to unlock its awesome secrets!" Fable does this well. The mystery factor is a huge part of adventuring and exploring. (Zelda, "oh crap what Item do I need to progress here? I can't wait!") However I feel Fable doesn't mostly deliver on this point. I open the door and get a sword not quite as cool as the one I'm currently holding, or I go in just to find a fountain that restores health. Cool.

What Fable does RIGHT:
    Everything else. Lets face it, I am writing this because I feel sad about the fact that I enjoyed my experience with these games so much I just want MORE. Imagine it with an MMO format? and a Morrowind sized world? Would you not crap your pants at the awesomeness? How come I only get to enjoy myself for 8-12 hours? I can't spend another 64$ for that amount of entertainment (compared to other games...) There is a lot of spirit and great Ideas in Fable that need to be pushed a bit farther for the expectations of the current gen gamer. Thank you for reading my rant, sorry for spelling mistakes!

karneh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By karneh

Wait till Fable IIVXIIVVVIIIIIIXV

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Cube

People said that about Fable 2, and it still sold 3 m units.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By IBurningStar

I'll be happy if being a completely evil asshole is a viable option in this game.

dantheman1515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By dantheman1515

I really enjoy the Fable games. They give me the feeling that Zelda used to as a kid. They aren't perfect games, but the combat in Fable 2 was great. The magic powers might have been too robust even, making that system a little complicated. And I don't know how how you 100 percented that game in 12 hours. I spent that much time just doing blacksmith jobs.

raidingkvatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By raidingkvatch

I find the different approach they seem to be taking with Fable III interesting and I'll probably play it at some point, but maybe not get at release like I did with the first two. Plust the Kinect thing worries me cuz there's no way I'm gonna be able to afford Kinect.

Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Insectecutor
    @Darigaz said:

" A game as "Large" and complex as this only offered me 12 hours at 100% completion? What is going on her Peter Molyneax? I feel like I'm not going to get enough bang for my buck this time around."

This kind of hours-to-dollars argument gets me every time. I respect that maybe money is tight for you, but 12 hours is a good length for a game. The art, music, environments, mechanics and stories that emerge from playing that game are well worth the investment and I think it's unfair to slam it for being shorter than you wanted.

In response to your numbered points:

1. I'd rather have a small set of valuable items than an overwhelming selection of worthless junk that I continuously have to throw away. Fable II still had a ton of items and books and condoms you could find if you really wanted, but also catered for those who don't suffer your addiction to loot. I liked that.

2. Already covered.

3. Sure maybe the game could have been harder but I quite enjoyed the relaxed approach. The one button combat was a bit dull, hopefully they can add depth to that in Fable 3 without scaring off more casual players.

4. Kinda true but the more playful type who can muster a little imagination can really enjoy those aspects, and they aren't necessary to succeed in the game. I never married in Fable 2 because I played the role of an adventurer - I couldn't provide for my kid if I was off adventuring the whole time. I think you're asking for a game where the characters live semi-realistic lives go play The Sims. Despite having relatively poor NPC AI, the number of crazy stories I hear about peoples antics in Fable 2 (usually tales of ingenious homewrecking) suggests they got the balance right.

5. This is a complaint about rewards, and is probably valid although I found solving the riddles posed by those doors more rewarding than collecting the loot behind them. The loot was kinda secondary.

WFDR: "I want more! I want MORE!!" - You could play it again, it replays pretty well and if you're prepared to forgo your completionist ways and just have a little fun with it, dicking around in the world and causing bar punch ups etc, you could extend the life of the game. You get out what you put in. The MMO format is an undirected and terrible never ending money sink, but a more cohesive world without loading between areas would be cool. A Morrowind sized world filled with Morrowind size huge boring empty spaces where shit-all happens would not be cool.

Fable 3's out soon, maybe that will address some of your concerns.
    Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Insectecutor
    @drag said:
    " Well ... you're not going to get any of those things from Fable III I'm afraid. The whole game has been simplified even further. For example, one of the developers said just the other day that you have all the spells in the game from the very beginning. It's a bit worrying such a lack of understanding about one of the big reasons why people play games - for progression, the sense of gradual empowerment and simply finding out what the next level of spells and abilities can offer. But then, they are not making games for me any more. "
    Abilitease?
    Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Make_Me_Mad
    Glitches, motherfuckers.  I'm not playing any more Fable games.  I played Fable 2 three times, because I wanted to like that game, and each time encountered a variety of glitches that left me unable to either complete the game or complete various quests.  I officially give up on that series.
    Darigaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Darigaz
    @Insectecutor:  
    Thanks a lot for providing some counter points. I'll do my best to iterate my position on some of the stuff you brought up. The list format is easy :P

1. I don't know if i would consider the items in Fable to be all that valuable. If anything the armor is aesthetic junk. I understand what you mean by a bunch of junk loot, and thats not really what I meant. I just meant a better variety of weapons/armor/items that gave benefit to the player and gave the sense of progression, I'm not talking diablo style loot here. The idea with weaponry is what they did right for the most part, so create armor in the same likeness. Maybe crafting? 

2. I may have been exaggerating 12 hours but it was under 15. Mostly I am satisfied with 8-12 hour games but I feel like in Fables case (being such an "Epic" world that was promised) I would expect more than what a generic shooter would offer me. I am well aware that Fable is an artistic masterpiece which is why I love it so much, but I just don't think it brings enough to the table to deserve my 64 bucks a 3rd time.

3. I do agree with you on the whole relaxed approach thing. I did like that too. A harder option perhaps?

4. I am not asking for sims, in fact I am just asking for the Fable team to deliver the experience they promised. Finding a women (or a man) was pretty fun but it all sort of took a back seat to everything else, perhaps the game was too big for its britches so we get  half-assed all the way around? I have a LOT of imagination as described in my "Mystery" section. The portion of Fable 2 where you go through a magic door and there is a cottage behind it in a pretty meadow with a stream...  I would live there IRL and I spent a bit of time there just admiring how cool I thought that all was... Fable does leave a lot to the imagination if your willing to let it do its work, something I love.

5. I understand. I just like the reward to fit or exceed the work- I am a gamer in 2010 what can I say? (No I'm not 14 :P, im 21) 

I want the Morrowind world with content. However the "boring wilderness" I understand, but you have to admit at the time it gave a vastness to a world you never thought gaming could. RL is full of boring landscape. But finding that cave with the strange daedric armor in the middle of nowhere was not only fun and rewarding, but let you play with your imagination too. Morrowind was damn good, I wish more games would adopt its idea of content and update it for current generation.
    DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DrPockets000

Yeah, I'm done with the Fable franchise I think.  

Dawglet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By Dawglet
    @Karn said:
    " Wait till Fable IIVXIIVVVIIIIIIXV "
    Learn your roman numerals mister.
    Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

@Darigaz: Why do you want Fable to be an MMO. 

It's about sweeping change based on your choices. 

How would that work. 

Why do you have bad ideas. 

You are trying to compare Fable to other games it doesn't even come close to resembling because that is what you want and not what Fable is. 

I guess BIoshock wasn't worth the $60 because it wasn't 100 hours. We'll fuck me guys, let's start over from scratch. Less engrossing story lines and more boring grinding.
    Bigrhyno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Bigrhyno

My biggest complaint of Fable 2 was how boring I thought the combat was. I think it has the potential to be an amazing franchise, but unfortunately I just think it's just not the franchise for me.

Darigaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Darigaz
    @LordXavierBritish said:

" @Darigaz: Why do you want Fable to be an MMO.  It's about sweeping change based on your choices.  How would that work.  Why do you have bad ideas.  You are trying to compare Fable to other games it doesn't even come close to resembling because that is what you want and not what Fable is.  I guess BIoshock wasn't worth the $60 because it wasn't 100 hours. We'll fuck me guys, let's start over from scratch. Less engrossing story lines and more boring grinding. "

No sir, I am not saying FABLE MMO. I am saying adopt a bit of the format because I enjoy fables world/potential and characters. I didn't find fables story line all that engrossing, and Bioshock is the only 15 hour shooter that should ever deserve anyones money. Please don't bring Bioshock into this because you know damn right its a game worth anyones money, play time or not. You didn't see bioschok devs promising big things and not quite delivering.
    9cupsoftea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By 9cupsoftea

Why do you have the preconceived notion that Fable needs difficulty, lengthiness, and loot? I don't get people who complain about this. Just because it looks a bit like some other RPGs it doesn't have to be the same game, and a lot of people prefer fable's structure to the 'typical' ones of other RPGs. Molyneux is trying to pull people away from those tropes, but some people just won't give up the potty.

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Aronman789

The Fable franchise has taught me to never feel excited about a game before it actually comes out. 

Fable 1-was said to be just this amazing world, and it had like 10 weapons and 4 sets of armor with a different color depending  on good or evil.

Fable 2-was said to be awesome as well,  and when it comes out i see that you have like 5 spells and 4 ranks of weapons, armor doesn't even matter anymore. 

Fable 3- i can only imagine. 

What the hell happened that left the man that made one of my favorite games of all time, Black & White, turn into a babbling idiot when it comes to making a good game? But of course, i know the answer, money. The simpler a game is, the more people will buy it and like it because it doesn't force them to use their brain, thus ranking in more money for the company.  

R.I.P Peter Milyneax's Creativity.

LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Darigaz:  @Darigaz said:

" Imagine it with an MMO format? and a Morrowind sized world? "

I guess I'm just fucking stupid then. 

I didn't say anything about what promises Lionhead or Peter Monopoly made. You said that Fable II wasn't worth it's retail price because it wasn't big enough. 

Also, saying that Bioshock is the only 15 hour shooter that deserves anyone's money is equally ignorant. 

You keep trying to compare Fable to other RPGs on the market that it is consciously striving to deviate from. You're trying to measure Fable against games like Morrowind with which it shares very little in common. Oblivion, specifically, was about making a large open world. Fable is about creating a small world built around persistence and consequence, and Fable II largely succeeded in that respect.  Every single NPC is it's own unique identity with it's own thoughts and feelings on your actions, and its own likes and dislikes. When Fable II was first released, this was kind of a big fucking deal. 

Here's a tip, if you want to play a game like Morrowind then  PLAY FUCKING FALLOUT. 

@Aronman789: 
    You sir are equally ridiculous. 

What gave you the impression that Fable was ever about the combat and not the world? 

Also have you played Fable II?
    trylks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By trylks
    @Karn said:
    That use of roman numbers hurt me.

@Darigaz:
    1. Clothes should be specific for your class, that's how dynamic classes should work. If you are a mage then you will wear mage clothes, why? because they will boost the speed you get mana again, or the power of spells, while an armor would be too heavy to wear (you don't have muscles to move it) and you don't need it, since you will stay far. And so on and so forth. The whole: "choose if you wanna be a mage, archer (with pistols, yeah!) or swordman" is more hype, you are everything, you have XP to be all of them at the same time.

2. This is a sandbox game, not final fantasy, I think that makes the whole game a lot different wrt all those things. Since you can make decisions the replay value is quite high, I'll probably play it three times, one as good male, one as evil female and I dunno what I'll do in the third, but I'm seeing the three endings and I'm not cheating, that's for sure. Actually you can do that in much less than 12 hours probably (not for the first walk through but the following ones), by now there are many enemies I don't care about killing, as a mage I have more experience than I need, all you need to beat the game is time control to level 3 and lightning to level 5, or death rising level one and running (still have to try that seriously, but may give good results), I may use ranged weapons in the future, melee is frustrating when compared with those, so I'm not using that, but mages are overpowered, despite of the fact of having only one button for magic...

3. Yes, it is very easy, it is not a challenge, it's a sandbox to go  over there, enjoy and do what you please. I hope a new branch is created with what could fable be if it was more hardcore.

4. In case you haven't noticed, this is the sims with swords, if you don't like the sims just don't play them. It's not like you are speaking about flaws in the game, it is designed intentionally to be so, and it is far more popular an profitable this way, because it targets to a broader audience. I still hope another game will target to a more hardcore audience, though.

5. yes, that happened me all the time, open a hard to get chest to find a crappy hammer. Great. I don't know what are they thinking about, what are they supposing players would be holding at that point in time ??? It's very related with how hard the game is, I think they are just not paying any attention to that or I dunno. It's like the opposite to blizzard, for instance.

@dantheman1515: why would you do any job? I did in my first walk through just to check them, in the second I took my first $1000 (you get those from chests, you can also sell your clothes), bought the cheapest shop in the bridge of bowerstone and then you can bootstrap from there on, I haven't been playing for two months, so by the time being I'm probably utterly rich (only in-game time should count for that)

@LordXavierBritish: the problem is that people keep thinking of fable as an rpg, by fable ii it was already sims with swords, I got divorced two or three times, but my health was never zero, never. There is where the challenges are. and in fable III, the followers' quest, this is going to be way more significant, since the "social" aspect is enhanced. Be prepared.

In short, I would like an RPG that let's you build your character, the class, the look, if it is good or evil and with this approach of shaping the world, wandering and finding quests (not really when you have a yellow path, but let's assume you wander), and all that hype that is so cool, but fable is not that game, it's not even an RPG any more and will probably never be. Maybe some developer will try to fill that niche.
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Trylks: Role playing is, by definition, playing a role. Acting a part. Becoming a character.

I think it has fulfilled that definition, just not in the way some people want it to.
    trylks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By trylks
    @LordXavierBritish: then every game is an RPG.

The RPG genre in video games has some conventions, and fable is moving in the opposite direction.
    Darigaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Darigaz

Meh, you guys are freaking out over my opinion. I never got the impression that it was sims with swords, because believe it or not fanboys, it doesn't do sims well either.
    Jack of all trades master of none. /thread

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Aronman789
    @LordXavierBritish: I've played both Fable and Fable 2, and while i was being dramatic, i still say the games were way overrated, though the world was one of the things i did think was done well, and i think adding the new Aurora region to Fable 3 is a smart idea (people might get bored of going over the same place 3 times) it still is nowhere near what they promised you of any of the games.
    trylks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By trylks

The depth in the gameplay in fable is in:
    - Customization: dyes, clothes, stuff (as in the sims)
    - Having a family, or three (it's quite hard, and then you have a black child, something went wrong...)
    -  Buying some houses and decorating them.
    - Socializing through the gestures system (and that get's a lot of relevance in fable iii)
    - Sandbox gameplay.
    - All this with swords, that you use only for fun, since attacks with swords may be blocked while bullets and magic cannot be blocked, can be dealt at distance and magic is extremely more powerful. The swords are there just for fun, sandbox gameplay.

Combat is symbolic and way too easy, and if you don't like it you can just skip it, raise deaths, run away, win, only a few enemies have to actually be killed.

Don't get me wrong, I like fable, I'm going through fable ii three times and I'll be getting fable iii, the game in general is quite cool and satisfactory, I play games in general for that (a story, like a movie) interactive, you get some action, some fake achievement porn,  and that's it. For challenges I could try to solve P != NP (or maybe that has already be solved, I think I won't have time to read the paper, specially wasting it in internet forums...), creating a compression algorithm, and a lot of stuff, this is something I do in my spare time for fun, and fable is special in the way it is, and very fun.

I'd also like to have a more serious approach, with dynamic classes, etc. Maybe mass effect or the force unleashed, dunno.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool Story, Brah.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By fjordson

Holy fucking shit, his name is Molyneux.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Played both of them. Loved both of them. Will play the third one and will love it too.

iMAGiNE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By iMAGiNE
    @Cube said:
    "People said that about Fable 2, and it still sold 3 m units. "

I dont wanna get into the long list of reasons why Fable was mediocre. But I will say judging a games quality on sales is borderline phycotic. It makes no sense...
    fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By fjordson
    @iMAGiNE said:

" @Cube said:

I dont wanna get into the long list of reasons why Fable was mediocre. But I will say judging a games quality on sales is borderline phycotic. It makes no sense... "
    If a lot of people enjoyed it and it got good reviews, what more do you want?

Fable II was the shit. Can't wait for III.
    iMAGiNE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By iMAGiNE
    @Fjordson said:
    "@iMAGiNE said:

" @Cube said:

I dont wanna get into the long list of reasons why Fable was mediocre. But I will say judging a games quality on sales is borderline phycotic. It makes no sense... "
    If a lot of people enjoyed it and it got good reviews, what more do you want? Fable II was the shit. Can't wait for III. "

What about what makes the game fun to ME!? Do you listen to what other people think about everything? A review is a basis for your purchasing decision, not a bible. I gaurantee its games you like that sold well that I (and others) find average or just plain bad. In MY opinion if I want an RPG experience its better product out there. I.E Oblivion,Fallout,Mass Effect, and Borderlands(just to name a few) But again, those games are fun to ME and not to everyone else...
    fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By fjordson
    @iMAGiNE said:

" @Fjordson said:

"@iMAGiNE said:

" @Cube said:

If a lot of people enjoyed it and it got good reviews, what more do you want? Fable II was the shit. Can't wait for III. "
    What about what makes the game fun to ME!? Do you listen to what other people think about everything? A review is a basis for your purchasing decision, not a bible. I gaurantee its games you like that sold well that I (and others) find average or just plain bad. In MY opinion if I want an RPG experience its better product out there. I.E Oblivion,Fallout,Mass Effect, and Borderlands(just to name a few) But again, those games are fun to ME and not to everyone else... "
    What about what makes the game fun for the millions of people who bought Fable II? And if my game experience was in agreement with the positive reviews, what do I do? Blindly disregard them simply because they're written by other people? You stated the game was mediocre, but me enjoying the game is no less valid than you not enjoying it.

If you're so down on Fable, and if we're all such fools for liking it, maybe you should go hang out on the board for one of those better RPG's.
    karneh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33  Edited By karneh
    @Dawglet said:
    " @Karn said:
    Learn your roman numerals mister. "
    YOU CANT TELL ME HOW TO L3@RN
    Natemio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Natemio

4 fucking sets of clothing?! are you guys mad?!

cid798

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By cid798

A buddy of mine just picked up Fable 2 today for 20 bucks so I popped mine back in. I just couldn't get into it - a lot of it feels frustrating.  
    -A lot of the parts where you can want to go to the pause/options menu but can't when you're in a "scene" 
    -Feeling like it's running at about 20 FPS 
    -Going into town for the first time, maxing blacksmithing and having tons of money and buying the same outfit I know I had last time I beat the game 
    -I think character customization could be deeper - you basically have hair and SOME gear to pick from due to attractiveness penalties/gains if you worry about that - and the good/evil changes which kinda feels out of your hands if say you wan't to be good but not run around glowing. 

I think most of all I just don't trust a word out of Molyneux's mouth anymore. 

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#36  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I never bothered with Fable II.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @LordXavierBritish said:
    " @Trylks:  Role playing is, by definition, playing a role. Acting a part. Becoming a character. I think it has fulfilled that definition, just not in the way some people want it to. "
    No it's fucking not.  Not in computer games.  God, do I have to hear more of this tripe again?

RPGs are about mechanics, levelling, loot and skillsets.  Fable is an adventure game with some extremely lightweight RPG mechanics but it's not an RPG.  There's fuck all difference between any of the roles a player chooses aside from slight cosmetic differences.  There's no proper skillset or tech tree and loot is barely relevant to the game experience.  BUT YOU CAN FARTZ.  It's also a complete letdown of a series so far.  Maybe Molly will do a better job in 3?  I personally hope so.
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SeriouslyNow said:
    " @LordXavierBritish said:
    " @Trylks:  Role playing is, by definition, playing a role. Acting a part. Becoming a character. I think it has fulfilled that definition, just not in the way some people want it to. "
    No it's fucking not.  Not in computer games.  God, do I have to hear more of this tripe again?

RPGs are about mechanics, levelling, loot and skillsets.  Fable is an adventure game with some extremely lightweight RPG mechanics but it's not an RPG.  There's fuck all difference between any of the roles a player chooses aside from slight cosmetic differences.  There's no proper skillset or tech tree and loot is barely relevant to the game experience.  BUT YOU CAN FARTZ.  It's also a complete letdown of a series so far.  Maybe Molly will do a better job in 3?  I personally hope so. "
    I wasn't aware you got to make up the definition of what role playing means. 

I guess I'll know better next time.
    Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Synthballs

I'm psyched for it and have the Collectors Edition on Pre-Order, he has made some promises that never happened but, it's still a great series with an awesome story.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I really liked both Fable and Fable II. :|

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#41  Edited By Shadow

I got both Fable games first day and was thoroughly disappointed with each.  I don't think I'm going to give them a chance for the third time to be a charm

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @LordXavierBritish said:

" @SeriouslyNow said:

" @LordXavierBritish said:

RPGs are about mechanics, levelling, loot and skillsets.  Fable is an adventure game with some extremely lightweight RPG mechanics but it's not an RPG.  There's fuck all difference between any of the roles a player chooses aside from slight cosmetic differences.  There's no proper skillset or tech tree and loot is barely relevant to the game experience.  BUT YOU CAN FARTZ.  It's also a complete letdown of a series so far.  Maybe Molly will do a better job in 3?  I personally hope so. "
    I wasn't aware you got to make up the definition of what role playing means.  I guess I'll know better next time. "

Single-player

Single player role-playing video games form a loosely defined genre of computer and console games with origins in role-playing games such as Dungeons & Dragons, on which they base much of their terminology, settings and game mechanics. This translation changes the experience of the game, providing a visual representation of the world but emphasizing statistical character development over collaborative, interactive storytelling.

From Wikipedia: Role Playing Game - Electronic Media - Single Player. Note the words 'emphasizing' and 'over'. 
    I didn't make the definition.  We did.  As gamers.  These games come from our expectations and desires.   If Fable is what you desire in an RPG, that's fine, but be extremely careful what you wish for.  Right now though, Fable is not a proper RPG by any real definition.  It is and probably will stay an Action Adventure Game with RPG lite mechanics.  

For the love of god please will people stop trotting out 'role playing' as the defining attribute of these games.  Every game makes you play the role of the character(s) you control, therefore by that extremely loose definition every game is a role playing game and that simply isn't true.
    Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By rollingzeppelin

@LordXavierBritish: What's with the crazy hostile attitude man?  

I think the OP brings up some valid points. 

@LordXavierBritish

said: 

@Aronman789:  You sir are equally ridiculous.  What gave you the impression that Fable was ever about the combat and not the world?   Also have you played Fable II? "

The combat was a major game mechanic, in that, you know, 90% of the gameplay was based around it.   

**Edit this shouldn't be bolded or the last sentence, but the formatting is all screwey for me, might be an issue with chrome.

Personally, I enjoyed the combat in the game, but the tiny variety in weapons did make it a little stale after while. I'm sure you'll probably come back with some dickish comment and try to sound superior, but I really have no interest in what you think, I just wanted to show some support for the OP. Molyneax had my respect when he made Black and White but my opinion of him's been steadily declining over the years. 

Also, he's billing Fable 3 as an action game, so you might as well forget about any RPG style complexity. :(
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SeriouslyNow: Notice the words 'loosely' and 'defined'. It's pointing out the trend, not stating a rule. 

And you can't bill every game as a role playing game because not all games require you to invest yourself in a story and make decisions as a character. If anything video game RPGs are moving more and more into the realm of interactive storytelling and letting it live on an equal plane with the statistical elements. The only reason statistical based gameplay was emphasized so much in the first place was because real story interaction was never an option until fairly recent. I'm speaking in years of course, but in any event the point remains that you are twisting the definition of role playing to suite your own argument because you can't accept the fact that different kinds of role playing exist. 

If you wanted to measure Fable, specifically Fable II, by a straight and hard definition of what a role playing game actually is than I would say that it is one of the few games out on the market that actually fits the bill. While the complexity in combat is somewhat emphasized there was a still a decent level of strategy there and, more importantly, the world actually existed as did the NPCs within it. You could interact with every single one of them, albeit it in a very primitive notion, and every action felt as if it made at least a small impact. 

In a way it is one of the few games that has made a stab at creating, and in many ways has succeeded in making, a completely digital DM.

@RollingZeppelin: Combat didn't have to be part of the game at all though. What made Fable fun was that you could just completely ignore the story sections and go do stupid shit or just take over a town if you wanted. 

Also I get a little bit disgruntled when someone fills my inbox with bullshit and bring up a month old post.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @LordXavierBritish:   You MUST be joking.  Have you actually played an RPG or Fable II?  Get real.  Fable II does not replace the context of a DM in any functional regard, with the sole exception of story telling and that is something which any Adventure game does just as well and something which every other Action RPG and RPG does SO MUCH BETTER.  In Fable II you can cheese any town NPC encounter by farting.  It doesn't matter who likes what, as long as there are some NPCs around you who find farts funny, eventually with enough farts you'll win over the whole crowd, regardless of your moral alignment or any other factors (such as cheating on sexual/romantic partners) that could come into play.  Now, that just may be an ongoing fart joke by Lionhead, but to me it smacks of inherently broken and unbalanced game mechanics and if you call that a good representation of a true RPG experience then you're a fool.   There are many such examples of these issues in Fable II.  Oh and NPC interaction is hardly something shockingly new which Lionhead has brought to the table.  We've had far more complex NPC interaction since the days of the Commodore 64. 

Look, I get that you're a fan of the game and I won't deny it has its charms but it's not a particularly great action experience and it's certainly not a good RPG by any means.  I'm not twisting anything, you are.  You're ignoring the true context of what an RPG is just so you can justify Fable II (and Fable I guess) as an RPG experience.  Fable II is an Action Adventure with the key emphasis on Action.  You can't take over a town without money and you can't earn money without completing missions (unless you want to run around with your dog in small, limited sections of the map because you haven't progressed in the story missions which are ALL combat based) which are all centered around combat.  Fable II is a game which purports to be a lot of things (RPG, Open World, Freedom of Character development) and only does some of them half assed and the rest it doesn't do at all.  

Nobody is filling your inbox with anything, you're making things up about a game which don't relate to the game itself.  I am sorry for having replied to the post which was a month old though, I neglected to check the date.
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SeriouslyNow: I don't give a shit about Fable II, I fucking sold that game.

And I didn't say it replaces the DM, I said it took a decent stab it. The NPC interaction isn't what's important; I called it primitive, I used the word primitive. What is important is the persistence of interaction.   

I said Fable is a type of RPG. You just said it does Role Playing, or at the very least the components one associates with RPGs, in a manner which you consider 'half assed' which, consequently, would require the game to have actually done these things in some manner no matter the quality of those individual parts. 

It is an RPG, you just said it was an RPG, we're done.

Also some townspeople find farting immature and our turned off by it. Good job.
    thebatmobile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By thebatmobile

This will be the first Fable-game I won't buy within the first week of release. Might get it in a few years. Not this time, Molyneux.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @LordXavierBritish:   I've called it an action adventure quite clearly distinct from an RPG.  It's half assed game, it's an Action Adventure, not an RPG.  Also, you haven't played the game very much if you don't understand my example of farting and how broken it is in Fable II.  It's a well known problem with the game, so much so that all expressions have been removed in Fable III.  Look that up, it's a fact.  Do yourself a favour and actually play a game which you seek to defend.  You can't understand what you haven't experienced and it's obvious that you've barely played the game at all.
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SeriouslyNow: I played the game to completion and beyond, but we've already established that you're pretty great at making ridiculous leaps in logic so I'll let it pass. 

And once again you are completely misinterpreting my statements. 

I said the interaction was primitive. Primitive is a word with pretty negative connotations when it comes to game design. For some reason you keep fucking picking at it like I'm defending it even though it is the exact opposite. I've said several times that it is the persistence of interaction that makes it interesting and maintains the role playing aspects of the game. Is that too abstract for you to understand? Do I have to fucking break it down? It's an RPG. I'm really sorry if that upsets you but you haven't provided any evidence to the contrary because you seem to be stuck on the idea of proving it is a bad game and then saying "Oh, also it's not an RPG."

Let's look at your ridiculous statements though since we are just going to sling dirt and justify it as fodder in our arguments now. You said you can't make money in the game without doing missions, oh but look at this. I can take jobs in the town to make money? Oh wow, I wish I saw this when it was blatantly present in the game and pretty much had a big flashing "OVER FUCKING HERE IF YOU WANT FREE CASH" sign over it. Oh, and let's not forget the fact that all the story missions are combat based. All those combat based missions when you are just making choices and talking to characters. Remember that mission where you just went to a temple and chose whether you or an innocent girl had the youth sucked out of them? I don't. Remember the entire prologue chapter which is almost 50% non-combat based missions? NOPE! What are you talking about? Surely not Fable II for the Xbox 360. Obviously this is the recounted experience of someone who has played Fable II.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @LordXavierBritish:  Well when I give a clear example of BROKEN mechanics of an aspect which is KEY to an RPG experience, one aspect which you've yammered on about as giving a DM like experience in this POS Action Adventure and then you tell me something which any person should be able to glean from 5 minutes exposure to NPCs I can only assume you haven't played the game very much.   Primitive is not something I would associate with negativity, just as complex doesn't always indicate a better level of functionality, so pardon me for reading what looked like a child's exposition on the positives of a known broken game which has disappointed a great many of its fans (and that's even ignoring the less than well received MP aspect) and assuming you to be confused.  And when the basis for your whole reasoning that Fable II is an RPG is utterly flawed (role playing =/ RPG) you can not blame me for thinking you don't understand what an RPG is.  

Now, if you look at the other Fable III thread here on the forums, the one about The Cast, you'll see I'm willing to buy into this game but I'm damn sure not going in DELUDING MYSELF that it will be an RPG or even a reasonably well made game.  It will be YET ANOTHER action adventure romp and it's probably going to be just as flawed as the last two games.

I don't care that you think of Fable II as an RPG, that's your own confusion and you're welcome to it, but it's not an RPG.  It's an Adventure game with high production values, some limited RPG mechanics and is found lacking at almost every turn when it comes to living up to the promises which Molly has made us, his customers, two times in a row so far.  That's what this whole discussion is about, after all.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.