Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Factorio

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Feb 25, 2016

A game about building factories on an alien planet.

I'm not ready for Factorio to get snubbed at GOTY 2020

Besetment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

The Beastcast crew were teasing Vinny over having "that game," but Factorio JUST came out of early access. 1.0 has been out for less than two months, and the crew are treating it like it's old news. I understand the game seems intimidating due to its complexity and addictive nature. Vinny even admits that he is hesitant to get back to playing because he wants to start his whole base over and it will take a lot of time. I get all that. I even understand that it may not be everyone's cup of tea. I'm just worried that no one else at Giant Bomb will play this game, and it will simply be a footnote at GOTY. Maybe a #10, if Vinny champions it enough to give it an honorable mention.

What I'm saying is: goddamn it this game is amazing and I want to hear the crew have a real discussion about it at the end of the year. This SHOULD be #1.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

It's too early to fight about GOTY.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By bybeach

I have way more 'respect' for the people who play Factorio, then I do for the game itself. And I in principle think highly of Factorio itself.

But I take one look at it and go; THAT IS WORK! I could see my Dad liking Factorio, being an engineer by profession. Not that he would let Obama get ahead of him in sneering about Video Games (as I remember). But if he was forced to play, Factorio might have been a choice for him.

Eh, maybe I should try it.

Someday

BoccKob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If there's a category for super duper niche game, then sure. I don't think Factorio is the kind of game someone can be into or not. It goes deeper than that. It's not like a, "oh I was never really into fighting games, but this one in particular stuck out" kind of thing. Your brain needs to be specifically hard-wired in such a way that this game appeals to you or it never will.

I can get the sense of how all the different buildings and processes are laid out and work together, but I also know I could spend a few hundred hours trying to build the perfect setup and never get anywhere close to any of the screenshots I've seen. My Factorio playstyle is queuing up a couple hundred items on my dude and tabbing out to do something else because that's less of a headache than trying to design an efficient supply line. The only thing I'm really playing the game for is being able to drive a train and build walls with gates because Stronghold is too difficult.

For the people with the right brain type, Factorio is probably pure bliss. For the vast majority of humans, it's one of those curiosities you look at, chuckle nervously, and try to change the subject because aaaaaaaahhh. But then I also think the same way about things like Monster Hunter, Minecraft, and Fortnite.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Justin258

@bocckob: This description sounds more like you're saying most people can't "get good" at Factorio and instead merely play it at an average human level.

On topic, Factorio isn't impenetrable. It's extremely difficult to plan out a neat and efficient factory and if you're not amazing at the game, then your factory is going to look like spaghetti - but you can get into it even if you're not good at making things neat. Just don't expect to ever get one of those beautiful factories you might see if you start looking into the community for this game. It's kind of like comparing yourself to a Diamond in Siege.

EDIT: Actually on topic - I don't think the Giantbomb crew is going to even look at Factorio, except for Vinny. Has anyone else even attempted to touch it? I know they played some Satisfactory, which is 3D Factorio, but I don't know about Factorio.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it makes complete sense for Factorio to be GOTY for the people that it is intended for.

That's about it.

plan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have 100 hours is Satisfactory and think Factorio is awesome. But not game of the year material.

However, I am looking forward to Hades beating out Cyberpunk.

Besetment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Besetment

Doesn't look that way. Alex seemed intrigued during the quick look, but the way he talked about the game made it seem like he wanted to see other people's factories rather than build his own.

When I mention GOTY, it's because I know that's likely the only time this game will get talked about in detail. They'll go down their list of games, Vinny will "say his piece" while everyone nods and smiles, and they'll move on to Wasteland 3 or whatever. I say that it should be #1 on the list because that's my opinion, but it obviously won't be. I just wish at least one other person on the crew tries it out, so there can be a real discussion.

MagnetPhonics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Factorio is probably better than a lot/all of the games that will feature of the Game of the Year list. But I would hesitate to call it game of the year, because there are other, equally ignored, games I would put ahead of it.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It's a Vinny game.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is an amazing game, one i can't play but can respect immensely, but we've also kind of been playing and watching Factorio for... four years?
    I think we decided for most early access games we'd wait until v1.0 to give it a review and enter it into a GOTY discussion, but all the conversation about Factorio happened a long time ago and that does have an impact on the games "hype" level, everyone knows what it is, 1.0 didn't bring any major game changing surprises, it's the same old Factorio.
    By comparison PUBG fast tracked its early access period and entered the GOTY discussion while it was still fresh and everyone was mad about it, i hope Vinny gives it a good push but it's not a game for everyone.
    Similarly i hope Vinny gives Flight Simulator a good push too, it's bound to win an award in a category or two, but i think that game is absolutely tremendous and has found its way onto the PC's of people that would have never played a flight sim before, i wonder what kind of arguments Jeff has planned against it.

martyns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love this game. I would love to watch Vinny play this game. I hope I get to watch Vinny play this game.

IK2K3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By IK2K3

I have 1800h played on factorio. It is my go-to chill game while watching stuff for years. I would love for it to win something at goty. I do not think it will. It is one of those games that get better the deeper you get into it and that takes a lot of time which none of the crew has to spare.

But I do hope it will at least get some sort of honorable mention.

Edit:

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.