Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout 3

Game » consists of 45 releases. Released Oct 28, 2008

In Bethesda's first-person revival of the classic post-apocalyptic RPG series, the player is forced to leave Vault 101 and venture out into the irradiated wasteland of Washington D.C. to find his or her father.

Bad news.

• 60 results
    walreese55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By walreese55

This is the impression off of neogaf forums. fallout 3 is basically oblivion with guns. the setting is pretty life-less, real time shooting sucks so you have use VATS all the time, and just doesn't stack up to previous fallout games.

right, I managed to get hold of the game for £50 tuesday evening and I have been playing solidly.. and i mean solidly for 4 days and here are my impressions, bear in mind i am a HUGE fallout 1+2 fan, and I put 110hours into Oblivion and the expansion, collecting all achievements;

I sat down to this game eagerly excited, but doubtful that the game would be good, after all for all extensive purposes this was a completely bastardised version of a game I adored. In a way it pleasantly surprised me, and in another way it totally let me down.

The game is essentially Oblivion. The view, the conversations, the map, compass, etc. Theres alot here which was instantly familiar. I've put in an insane number of hours in this game for such a short period, taking time to do as many sidequests as possible. It should be noted that all major quests have an achievement, while this may seem fantastic, you soon realise just how few quests there are, especially as the story line consists of many small quests. What is worse is just how many of these quests are the same. The storyline has you on a quest to save the world, or at least give it a kick up the arse on its way to being saved and is much better than the main storyline for Oblivion, and Liam Neesons voice is fantastic and a pleasure to listen to, but the side quests are really quite disappointing. Almost every single quest is a go here, kill everyone in sight, bring item back quest. What is even more annoying, is for the most part you are traveling to the same old places, either burnt out factories or underground metro tunnels, which not only reuse assets over and over, but lack any sort of level design.. they just simply exist room to room. I have not actually finished the main story for one simple reason, the game has no free roam once it is beaten. I am at the very end, with literally a final battle away from seeing the credits roll but I refuse to finish until I have cleared up more quests and explored more. From what I have heard the endings, no matter which you end up with, are massively disappointing, and I have no idea how DLC will work when there is an endgame.

The game is very much a shooter. Unlike previous Fallouts, Melee is COMPLETELY unnecessary, do not waste a single point of your stats on it. IMO all your stats at the start should be put into Speech, Small guns and Lockpick as they give you the best results. In real time, you won't find a worse shooter, and third person mode is quite possibly the worst thing EVER, but VATs gives you a (overpowered) good feel, even if it is quite wasted (I have gotten all the way to the end of the game only targeting the head or torso). You receive more Experience for real time combat, but its only deserved because real time combat feels like Stevie Wonder with a gun, failing to hit a target 5 inches in front of you. There is a huge emphasis on combat, which is unlike Fallout. In Fallout 2 I completed the game killing maybe 100 things, mainly radscorpians. So far in my Fallout 3 game I have killed over 500 things, not including the hundreds my partner has killed. The number of enemies are also very few in number, I must have killed 200 Super Mutants alone, and while the gore is amusing for the most part (especially with bloody mess perk) it can get boring fighting the same old enemies over and over, with only really Mirelurks requiring a strategy to kill.

A major annoyance in Oblivion was the 3 voice actors they used, over and over. Fallout 3 has alot more voice actors, and they are alot better (Although the guy from Oblivion still voices a few minor characters in the same voice). Like I said, Liam Neesons voice is great and its very rare you find two characters who sound the same, apart from the Ghouls who it seems all use the same voice actor. This is especially noticeable in the Ghoul town, where everyone you speak to sounds the same.

The game is still filled with little bugs and glitches; if you pick up an item off a table all the other items will shake around, just like Oblivion, and one of my quests is completely broken and is unable to be completed, which is a real pain in the arse. My partner often gets completely stuck in motion, or lost and hits a 400x speed sprint to catch me up (incidentally my partner is not Dogmeat, I went the entire game without finding him). General things like loading are fine and not at all over the top, and provide you with information as you load like number of Stimpacks used, Locks picked, etc.

The game is based very heavily on Karma. Most major quests will give you good or bad options, for one example a woman asks you to do 9 quests for her to fill in a book. You can do every quest for experience and good karma, or you can, using a high speech skill, tell her shes an idiot and shouldnt waste time on a book losing you karma but saving you from doing 9 fetch quests and unlocking an achievement for you instantly. Essentially for most quests though, the Karma doesnt really have enough consequences other than earning you more money for doing the bad thing.

The map is huge, at first it looks tiny on your Pip Boy, but when you actually go walkabout you realise how big it is. Sadly, as big as it is, it is massively empty and disappointing. There are very, very few numbers of towns with unique NPCs and huge numbers of useless areas that offer very little except scenery you have already seen over and over. The entire game seems, from number of enemies, to similar assets and plain wasteland, to be too big for its boots. The game would have been alot better if the map was half the size with less filler and more things to do.

Theres so much to talk about, and I really feel like im on Fallout overload from playing so much (I have Dead Space sitting here begging to be played), but ultimately this is a good game but by no means GOTY probably because it feels so similar to Oblivion, although this is just my opinion. Is it a worthy Fallout game? No, I dont think it even comes close to the charm, grittiness or atmosphere of the original Fallouts, but if you take it as an Oblivion expansion then you realise it is a great game, worthy of being in your collection.

Phew.

edit: just regarding the system, I played on the 360, the frame rate was very smooth throughout, apart from two areas but I think it was chugging because i had too many saves. The game froze on me 3 times, but only once required a reboot of the console. If you are worried about the 360 version, don't be.
    Last edited by painey : Yesterday at 07:51 PM.
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By keyhunter

So what you're saying is that this game is Oblivion with guns, which is pretty much what I've wanted from Bethesda since Morrowind, and that it is perfect? Good review.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jayge_

1. That's NeoGAF.
    2. That's NeoGAF.
    3. Oblivion with a better story, more voice actors, and much more content (the fact that he said most of the world is empty is rather funny because most people said it had almost too much content packed into it given the slightly smaller area) sounds great.
    4. Oh god, that's NeoGAF.

Seriously. This topic was nearly entirely unnecessary.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Gizmo

Here we go again, time for the masses to protect and hold on to a game they somehow know is going to be brilliant.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5  Edited By Arkthemaniac

I assumed third person mode would suck, and I hope that the map be somewhat desolate. After all, it is a nuclear fallout zone. Of course, I'm not hyping this game to be the second coming of Jesus, and since I was disappointed with Oblivion overall, I assume this will be a "play, don't freak out aboot" title.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jayge_
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "I assumed third person mode would suck, and I hope that the map be somewhat desolate. After all, it is a nuclear fallout zone. Of course, I'm not hyping this game to be the second coming of Jesus, and since I was disappointed with Oblivion overall, I assume this will be a "play, don't freak out aboot" title."
    The third person is known to suck. I've seen it myself. It's abso-fucking-lutely terrible.
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    Jayge said:
    "Arkthemaniac said:
    "I assumed third person mode would suck, and I hope that the map be somewhat desolate. After all, it is a nuclear fallout zone. Of course, I'm not hyping this game to be the second coming of Jesus, and since I was disappointed with Oblivion overall, I assume this will be a "play, don't freak out aboot" title."
    The third person is known to suck. I've seen it myself. It's abso-fucking-lutely terrible."
    Third person sucked in Morrowind and Oblivion as well, so I just assumed. I'll have to see a vid to judge just how suck it is.
    EDIT: Dammit, I can't even find one.
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By Milkman

That post was probably made by one of those fucking Fallout nutjobs. Pay no attention to them.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By lordofultima

Wait, you said it's essentially Oblivion? Say no more. I'm sold.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By pause422

Its posted from fucking NeoGAF..and you start the topic with 'bad news..' as if this is the end all truth and we should all completely agree to feel like this person does. Its not a thriving place with tons of towns everywhere eh? I really can't believe that since its a post nuclear theme and people aren't supposed to be in mass....thats pretty obvious it would be similar to that. Also the whole thing about the dude telling everyonw how they should build their character..I'll put points where I feel like putting them. I've seen plenty of the melee weapons and the satisfying kills they give, and I definitely am going to use some a good amount.

Lastly, this is someone who immediately is discouraged by the fact that this is Fallout done by Bethesda at their first remarks in the post, they aren't at all worth listening to...I loved Fallout, I loved the elder scrolls games..so a better Oblivion set in a Fallout nuclear universe with just about everything being upgraded...please, bring it on because I can't wait to get into it in just a few days now.(not everyone who likes both series think this is some disaster, those people are fucking retarded)

Keano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Keano

Canceling my pre-order as i type this

Shawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By Shawn
    Jayge said:
    "Arkthemaniac said:
    The third person is known to suck. I've seen it myself. It's abso-fucking-lutely terrible."
    The idea of third person isn't a bad one, I wish they would change the player movement, I can't stand how your players body could be facing forward, but running diagonally. Made me cringe.
    lamegame621

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By lamegame621
    keyhunter said:
    "So what you're saying is that this game is Oblivion with guns, which is pretty much what I've wanted from Bethesda since Morrowind, and that it is perfect? Good review."
    haha. well said...
    Warihay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By Warihay

Neogaf

nuff said

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jayge_
    Tarsier said:
    "Dude you guys just don't want to be disappointed. This guy has a lot of good points. I won't be picking this game up any time soon."
    It's not his post in the first place, and his points were contradictory the entire time. You continue to astound me, Tarsier.
    TheWesman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By TheWesman

RARARAR!!!1!1!!!  Someone didn't like my favorite game I haven't played yet!  Rar!  hahahaha

I don't believe ya'll just accept whatever this brainboy77 says.  And that one guy up there "Canceling my pre-order as i type this."  Seriously?  come on!

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I wouldn't be surprised if this was true. I hadn't planned on buying it, anyway.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By keyhunter

Fallout? More like Fall back away from the Gamespot and buy NBA live instead.

Avatar image for deactivated-6308c1821738f
    deactivated-6308c1821738f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

You can't keep playing after finishing the main quest!?!?!?  That sucks.  I'm still getting the game Tuesday but that really disappoints me.  One of my favorite things about oblivion was going back and doing side quests after finishing the main story.  Kinda just ruined my night lol.    But I LOVED Oblivion and if its as similar as it looks, then I doubt ill end up disliking it.

Elijah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Elijah

Bethsoft seriously lost most of my trust after Oblivion.  I have a very strong feeling that this game will be a letdown.

PitifullPete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By PitifullPete

Jayge: I couldn't see where his post is self-contradictory. Yes, I read that reviews claim Fallout 3 being overloaded. Still, I think it's great someone takes his time to share his opinion (even if it's not braniac, which he should have stated).
     Also, where do all this crazy people complaining about deviating opinions come from? Why has there to be one official norm-giving forum opinion on each big topic? I thought giant bomb was a safe heaven, in the very culminating pot of puberty of internet gaming communities.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By Emilio

Whether or not its from NeoGaf, I feel like he's somewhat telling the truth.
    I'll pass and just download it on PC.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24  Edited By BoG

I get the impression that we have a game that is not an action FPS title, but an RPG. That blows my mind, isn't fallout totally like Halo? RPG, who woulda thought.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By atejas
    Milkman said:
    "That post was probably made by one of those fucking Fallout nutjobs. Pay no attention to them."
    Did you even read his post? He listed a lot of pros and ways in which it was better than Oblivion too.
    Anyway, yeah, I really wasn't expecting it to live up to the last two, but ah well. It sounds like they've actually put some effort into the quests this time.
    Will *procure*.
    Oh, OP, two things. One, is there really a town populated by nothing else but heavily armed twelve year olds?
    And two, your post seems to come from the viewpoint of someone who disliked Oblivion. What if you found it moderately fun? How will this game be then?
    cgrady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By cgrady

Im just wondering how anyone expected this to be so different from Oblivion? I've been expecting Oblivion with guns this whole time...

Soulglove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Soulglove

He can say he's played the other Fallout games and that he liked Oblivion, but from all the "statements" he makes, it doesn't sound like either is true. How can he say that there wasn't a lot of combat in Fallout 1 or 2 when the majority of the time the game is played through turn-based combat.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By PureRok
    Soulglove said:
    "He can say he's played the other Fallout games and that he liked Oblivion, but from all the "statements" he makes, it doesn't sound like either is true. How can he say that there wasn't a lot of combat in Fallout 1 or 2 when the majority of the time the game is played through turn-based combat."
    Agreed. I was in combat almost the majority if the time playing Fallout. I'm really questioning the credibility if the OP.
    kingmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By kingmasters

I don't care for the insane ranting of a no mutants moron

Balls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Balls

Oblivion with guns would be awesome. I'd love if Nintendogs 2 was just Nintendogs with guns.

RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By RedSox8933

there are always negative-ish reviews for big games.

Thunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Thunder

ill wait until i actually play it instead of listening to some stupid review

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Systech

Yeah, like O NOES! NeoGaf thinks it's Oblivion with teh gunz! Alert teh reviewers!

Avatar image for deactivated-5aeccee38cdf9
    deactivated-5aeccee38cdf9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think he made some valid points, I'll wait for a GB review before i make any purchases this holiday season.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#35  Edited By MachoFantastico

Oblivion with Guns!

Doesn't sound to bad to me, thats what Oblivion needed. Plus I think the world of fallout is more interesting.

Joru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Joru

I haven't played much of it yet, but even though I like it there a couple of things that annoy me and keep me from enjoying it alot. And the most frustrating thing is that most of these issues come from oblivion...
    1. The voice acting, while better than oblivion, is still not good atall in most cases. Compared to Fable 2 or Mass Effect the voice acting is crap...
    2. The way people look when they talk is kind of wierd. Only their face moves and their body is completely still.
    3. Free shooting (without using VATS) is kind of useless.
    4. There is tons of useless space in the world. I like the way it looks and I haven't seen D.C. yet which is propably the best part of it, but looking high up from a tower it seemed like there was tons of the same and not many interesting places.

I guess that's it for now... I'm having more fun with Far Cry 2 than this at the moment so I'm not sure I'll play much of it anytime soon.

Avatar image for incrediblebulk92
    IncredibleBulk92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#37  Edited By IncredibleBulk92
    brainboy77 said:
    "This is the impression off of neogaf forums. 
    There's where this thread fails.  neogaf is a cess pool
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By pause422
    Levio91 said:
    "his game will suck. tehy should call it brotherhood of steel 2."
    You're a complete moron. -btw, at least spell correctly if you're gonna try to state something pointless.
    gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#39  Edited By gla55jAw

So I'm guessing that if I couldn't get into Oblivion, I wont like this? Oblivion got too annoying to me, where the quests would either give you no clue what to do or would be a fetch quest into a cave that if more than 2 guys came after you, you would die.

I really want to like and get this game, but if it is just like that I don't know if I'll get it

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By pause422

From what I've heard people have said Fallout gives you a much better clear idea of what you need to do for whatever you have as your primary set quest, than Oblivion did by far. And with VATS to help you out in hard times, this definitely won't be quite like Oblivion was at a higher difficulty where you sometimes had no chance at early levels.

AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#41  Edited By AndrewGaspar

I find it funny how the guy says there is no free roam after the main quest is beaten and he HASN'T BEATEN THE GAME YET!

How the hell does he know? Credibility blown. Move on, people. Nothing to see here.

ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ZombieHunterOG
    Soulglove said:
    "He can say he's played the other Fallout games and that he liked Oblivion, but from all the "statements" he makes, it doesn't sound like either is true. How can he say that there wasn't a lot of combat in Fallout 1 or 2 when the majority of the time the game is played through turn-based combat."
    ya i agree the OP sounds like a Phooney 
    lvl10Wizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#43  Edited By lvl10Wizard

If your definition of Bad News is that something is apparently wrong with a video game then life must be pretty sweet for you. 

lamegame621

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By lamegame621
    PureRok said:
    "Soulglove said:
    Agreed. I was in combat almost the majority if the time playing Fallout. I'm really questioning the credibility if the OP."
    double agree.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ryanwho
    Soulglove said:
    You could beat the game without fighting in the first Fallouts. If you wanted. Its supposed to be a game about choice and if you think you can choose to avoid tedious boring combat with the whip cream novelty of explosive gore on top you're SOL, apparently.
    rerty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By rerty

No fucking duh its oblivion with guns, If you watched one gameplay video you would be able to tell that. Please don't treat the first two fallout games like they were masterpieces ... Milkman said:

"That post was probably made by one of those fucking Fallout nutjobs. Pay no attention to them."
    this guy might sound like a dick but he is right. The game is nowhere near perfect , but if you have played oblivion and enjoyed it you will get your money's worth here.
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By pause422

No game is near perfect...if anyone has expectations for ANY game and thinks its gonna be 'perfect' they are gonna be disappointed...you gotta look at games for what they are.

CodeMunki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By CodeMunki

Oblivion is only one of the highest rated RPGs ever made.  An Oblivionesque game in the Fallout world sounds like the perfect game.

godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#49  Edited By godzilla_sushi

From the community that brought you:

"Too Human isn't good because we assume it isn't good because we know who made it and because we are mostly pretty bored without much to do besides harass each other."

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By kmdrkul

The only part that worries me is the real time shooting.  As in, the actual shooting mechanics.  Quite honestly, VATS looks ridiculous, and seeing as how the vast majority of the game is you shooting a gun, I'd like to see at least decent shooting mechanics in action.  A confirmation would be great.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.