Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout 3

Game » consists of 45 releases. Released Oct 28, 2008

In Bethesda's first-person revival of the classic post-apocalyptic RPG series, the player is forced to leave Vault 101 and venture out into the irradiated wasteland of Washington D.C. to find his or her father.

Fallout 3: 10 hours in.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

Edited By Claude

Xbox 360 version.

"Post Apocalyptic Survival Role-Playing Game"

I'm liking it, I want to play it again as I write this. Here are some thoughts.

Is it Oblivion with guns? What? That's like asking if Mass Effect was like Knights Of The Old Republic without lightsabers.
    If you've played Oblivion, there are in jokes, but it doesn't feel like Oblivion at all to me. I would prefer to call it Bethesda-esque.

Bethesda-esque.

Conversations: The NPCs' faces don't come as close to the screen and it seems less stagged.
    Load Times: Much better than Oblivion and I played it on a pc.
    When waiting: You see a screen with your wait  time and behind it, in real-time, you watch as time passes quickly.
    UI: There was a small learning curve for me, but I love my PIP-BOY 3000, wouldn't leave home without it.
    Voices: More varied.
    Writing: I'm into it, give me more.
    The World in which you play: I can see how the developers got their rocks off, by making this game world a complete opposite of the fantasy land that was Oblivion. It's ugly and dangerous, it weighs on you... as you try to survive and make decisions that determine many lives.
    Scaling: I've read some stuff, but I don't care. I played vanilla Oblivion and didn't care about the scaling, but I understood its faults.

Original and the bad:

It's just another game and one I'm enjoying. I like to play slow and take it all in, taking on all quests, if it meets my needs. My character will negotiate, but will tear you up with some guns and grenades if crossed.

I've read of some problems, for me personally, I've had the game freeze on me twice, but that's it. I can live with it and I save often.
    I'm playing it on a 36" Sony Wega, which is 480i and have had no graphical problems other than pop-up or fade-in.

I read a pc review that said Fallout 3 was a cross between Deus Ex and Oblivion... that's reaching, a little. It reminds me of a
    "Post Apocalyptic Survival Role-Playing Game" and as I play some more, my opinion might change, but I'm diving back in to see were it takes me, so far, so good.

Have fun and thanks for reading.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By Claude

Xbox 360 version.

"Post Apocalyptic Survival Role-Playing Game"

I'm liking it, I want to play it again as I write this. Here are some thoughts.

Is it Oblivion with guns? What? That's like asking if Mass Effect was like Knights Of The Old Republic without lightsabers.
    If you've played Oblivion, there are in jokes, but it doesn't feel like Oblivion at all to me. I would prefer to call it Bethesda-esque.

Bethesda-esque.

Conversations: The NPCs' faces don't come as close to the screen and it seems less stagged.
    Load Times: Much better than Oblivion and I played it on a pc.
    When waiting: You see a screen with your wait  time and behind it, in real-time, you watch as time passes quickly.
    UI: There was a small learning curve for me, but I love my PIP-BOY 3000, wouldn't leave home without it.
    Voices: More varied.
    Writing: I'm into it, give me more.
    The World in which you play: I can see how the developers got their rocks off, by making this game world a complete opposite of the fantasy land that was Oblivion. It's ugly and dangerous, it weighs on you... as you try to survive and make decisions that determine many lives.
    Scaling: I've read some stuff, but I don't care. I played vanilla Oblivion and didn't care about the scaling, but I understood its faults.

Original and the bad:

It's just another game and one I'm enjoying. I like to play slow and take it all in, taking on all quests, if it meets my needs. My character will negotiate, but will tear you up with some guns and grenades if crossed.

I've read of some problems, for me personally, I've had the game freeze on me twice, but that's it. I can live with it and I save often.
    I'm playing it on a 36" Sony Wega, which is 480i and have had no graphical problems other than pop-up or fade-in.

I read a pc review that said Fallout 3 was a cross between Deus Ex and Oblivion... that's reaching, a little. It reminds me of a
    "Post Apocalyptic Survival Role-Playing Game" and as I play some more, my opinion might change, but I'm diving back in to see were it takes me, so far, so good.

Have fun and thanks for reading.

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Demilich

Goddamn you duder! I have to wait til Saturday to play.

joslop500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By joslop500

Yeah, I got it today and I've been enjoying it a lot. The story is a little slow at the beginning,  after you escape the vault, but then as the story progresses it starts getting better.

MasterSplinter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By MasterSplinter

Sounds good, Claude. I think I am going with Fable II first, but that is still subject to change. Way too much coming out in the next 3 weeks and I don't want any distractions from Fallout 3. Enjoy!

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By daniel_beck_90

looks like a good game

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Demilich

I can't wait to go on a powerfist rampage.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By atejas
    Demilich said:
    "Goddamn you duder! I have to wait til Saturday to play."
    Ditto. Did you buy it on Steam?
    Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Demilich
    atejas said:
    "Demilich said:
    Ditto. Did you buy it on Steam?"
    I'm downloading it through usenet first to see if it works and if I like it. It's out on Friday here.

inb4 you won't buy it.

I did with Oblivion.
    TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By TheJollyRajah

I rented Fallout 3 two days ago and it is an awesome game. At first, it seems slow, but it picks up fast when you get out into the wasteland. The game also has this unique atmosphere to it. The game feels alive, and the story is immersive. I think it's a breath of fresh air from the old medieval and space themes.

Unfortunately, I purchased LBP yesterday and that's been consuming ALL my time... it's a BRILLIANT game... I can't put LBP down. But I'll play more Fallout tomorrow if time allows.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By sweep  Moderator

I'm not buying fallout. For me, this game has become an exercise in self control. I cant afford to by fallout. But despite waht people have said about the games technical faults, it does sound amazing. You are making it very hard for me Claude....

Also I dont know how I have got by so far without your gamertag - you need to send me that! Mine is o0I SWEEP I0o

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By atejas
    Demilich said:
    "atejas said:
    "Demilich said:
    I'm downloading it through usenet first to see if it works and if I like it. It's out on Friday here.

inb4 you won't buy it.

I did with Oblivion."
    I went on /v/ on the day the .iso got leaked, and everyone was talking about how it was absolutely unhackable, there's no point downloading it, yadda yadda yadda.
    I preorder it on Steam.
    Next day there's a Reloaded release.
    Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Demilich
    atejas said:
    "Demilich said:
    "atejas said:
    "Demilich said:

inb4 you won't buy it.

I did with Oblivion."
    I went on /v/ on the day the .iso got leaked, and everyone was talking about how it was absolutely unhackable, there's no point downloading it, yadda yadda yadda.
    I preorder it on Steam.
    Next day there's a Reloaded release."
    :(

Well it's probably worth buying anyway. And you save money on Steam.
    snake6phw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By snake6phw

T-minus 2 hours untill I am playing!

giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By giyanks22

It looks pretty good, but not as good as it was hyped.

Clean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Clean

I'm liking it the insight, definitely look for me to get this game sooner or later

OldElfin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By OldElfin

I think you wrote a good review there Claude. I had never played Fallout 1 or 2 but had always wanted to, and have been interested in all of the Fallout 3 news. Bought it on release day and have to say I am very happy with the game so far. I love the way the game starts out and builds how you are as an adult.

Again good review.

Torb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By Torb

Duuuude. I'm trying to avoid this game! There isn't enough time! Stop convincing me! Geez louise! I'm caving into peer pressure x.x
    Glad you're enjoying it dude

stucket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By stucket

Rated M for matured....Grr......why cant it be rated T for terrifying

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#19  Edited By Oni

Dude, when I was thinking about the game last night, Deus Ex meets Oblivion is exactly how I described it in my mind!

Also I'm about 9 hours in... and I got the game yesterday. Yeah. It's that good.

Kaido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By Kaido

You bastards. BASTARDS. It's only just came out today in the UK, plus I've got to wait another hour before I can trapse down to Granger Games to buy it :(.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.