Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout: New Vegas

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Oct 19, 2010

The post-apocalyptic Fallout universe expands into Nevada in this new title in the franchise. As a courier once left for dead by a mysterious man in a striped suit, the player must now set out to find their assailant and uncover the secrets of the enigmatic ruler of New Vegas.

Celebrity casting for New Vegas revealed (Wayne Newton!)

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By fjordson
     Whatever happens in Vegas stays there — even after the apocalypse.

The upcoming futuristic video game Fallout: New Vegas takes place after a nuclear war with China decimates the USA. But Wayne Newton— "Mr. Las Vegas" — survives as the voice of a DJ programmed centuries earlier.

That his essence endures such desolation suggests Newton's spirit "could almost survive anything," says the entertainer, 68, a Vegas fixture for more than 40 years, whose show goes to the MGM Grand this fall.

"Even in the post-apocalypse, there's still Wayne Newton," says the game's producer, Jason Bergman of Bethesda Softworks. "I think he got a kick out of that."

In the latest title in the hit franchise (out Oct. 19, $60 for PS3 and Xbox 360, $50 for PCs, ages 17-up), players hear from "Mr. New Vegas" as they explore the irradiated Strip. (In Fallout's story line, it's 2280, more than 200 years after a nuclear holocaust.)

• Newton joins a marquee cast that includes Matthew Perry (Friends), Zach Levi (Chuck), Kris Kristofferson, Michael Dorn (Star Trek: The Next Generation) and Felicia Day (The Guild). Ron Perlman (Hellboy) serves as the game's narrator, a role he has played in several Fallout games, including the 1997 original.

The quips delivered by Mr. New Vegas include suggestions to listeners to keep "living the dream." The character, Newton says, "has a perverted sense of humor."

The designers created the role for Newton "because he is Las Vegas," Bergman says. "He really brings that extra touch of Vegas class to the game. ... And whether he's reading news stories about super mutants or introducing a Dean Martin song, his personality comes through."

"I have never been in a video game before and, frankly, have never played, simply because I have been working my whole life," Newton says.

Newton says he'd read the dialogue — one-liners in some cases, two or three lines in others — and "do them just a little bit different, each one, until we hit on what it was the guys wanted ... where it is Wayne Newton, but it's not Wayne Newton, you know?"

In the real world, Newton has been asked to participate in a Vegas citizens' catastrophe response committee with the U.S. departments of Defense and Homeland Security. "I accepted it readily, because in this day and time I think one has to take those possibilities in consideration and take it seriously," he says.

Should he ever be asked to record one message for posterity, Newton says it would be to "never give in and never give up. I think it is that message people need today."

Source 
      ---

This could be pretty awesome.
    rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By rjayb89

Good move.

matpaget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By matpaget

Matthew Perry?
    Im interested

WalkerTR77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By WalkerTR77

I remember reading a story about how Matthew Perry played so much fallout 3 that he had to go to hospital to be treated for repetitive strain injury. That seems to qualify him for the job.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Animasta

I sure hope old guy from fallout 3 isn't sad :(

dantheman1515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By dantheman1515

I've never been less interested in a game before. Fallout 3 was a good game, it wasn't the epic most made it out to be. But F3 was already a buggy game, add Obsidian to the mix and I doubt the game is even going to run.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By bacongames
    @dantheman1515 said:
    " I've never been less interested in a game before. Fallout 3 was a good game, it wasn't the epic most made it out to be. But F3 was already a buggy game, add Obsidian to the mix and I doubt the game is even going to run. "
    Wow, someone's a Negative Nancy.

I for one am intrigued that they kept the cheesy glitz of Vegas alive with Wayne Newton.
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By mikemcn

I misread Matthew Perry as Matthew Broderick, which woud be way more awesome.

But still, the cast seems solid, im excited.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.