Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout: New Vegas

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Oct 19, 2010

The post-apocalyptic Fallout universe expands into Nevada in this new title in the franchise. As a courier once left for dead by a mysterious man in a striped suit, the player must now set out to find their assailant and uncover the secrets of the enigmatic ruler of New Vegas.

Is the Sierra Madre worth a visit?

Avatar image for harbinger_of_hippos
    Harbinger_Of_Hippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Meaning, should I buy the Dead Money DLC for Fallout: New Vegas? If you have played it, did you enjoy it? Is it worth buying, or should I just pass it up? I enjoy New Vegas, so I wouldn't mind getting back into it, but if Dead Money blows ass, I obviously wouldn't bother with it.

perilator666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By perilator666

Personal opinion ahead... 

Dead Money is the best bit of DLC for a Fallout game so far. I say worth it. Very atmospheric and kind of creepy at times.

Was kind of hoping for a Quick Look too, but doesn't seem like that's gonna happen.

Avatar image for smashedcontrollers
    SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By SmasheControllers

I really enjoyed it, felt Bioshock-y to me.

kingcopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By kingcopper

Definitely. But be warned: the difficulty spike is pretty huge. This is nothing like the Mojave wasteland, in fact you'll feel extremely overpowered once you get back there at the end of the dlc. 

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By Sooperspy

It was kind of cool. Very different and creepy. Get it!

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By BaneFireLord

I'm personally waiting for the inevitable Game of the Year edition to even buy New Vegas.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

It was solid, I really liked the characters. 
    Avatar image for delicious_brains
    Delicious_Brains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Delicious_Brains

Good survival-horror feel to it, and you're actually forced to use all those chems/food items you would normally pick up in the Mojave and never bother with.

Bennyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Bennyishere

Suprised to see so many positive comments, seemed like when the DLC was new half of the people hated it. I am one of them. Some of the characters are interesting, but I hated what they did to try and create a dark atmosphere and the environments might be the ugliest yet in a modern Fallout game, mostly due to the dark red hue on everything coupled with the general ugliness that is the post-apocalyptic world. Some people seem to think it succeeded at creating a dark and scary atmosphere, but I didn't feel like the dangers you were facing were any scary at all, more like annoying monkeys that poked you with sticks. Then there's the new radio mechanic that becomes old way too fast and how the "difficulty" in this game is literally just your health being slowly drained in Hardcore mode and the fact that my character had very low melee stats. I also don't like how it is completely detached from the rest of the world, you can only visit it once and there is little to be gained in terms of weapons or what have you. Still, it's not absolutely horrible, just a bit mediocre, so I would wait for a price drop.

gjedwards

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By gjedwards

have they announced anymore fallout dlc?

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By HandsomeDead

Is there some kind of Humphrey Bogart reference at this Sierra Madre because if there is, I am sold 100%.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
    EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By EquitasInvictus

Yeah, Dead Money exemplifies how great a DLC can be: it's essentially a standalone game albeit shorter while a little more linear but with a great amount of depth. The characters here even develop despite its short length and the story is actually very interesting. (Although some of the backstory in particular requires a little reading on from terminals. I would've loved this even more if they had some of these things on holotapes.) Also, it makes a lot of interesting implications on not only DLC to come, but hints relevant to the future of the protagonist, the Courier himself. There are even things implied in this DLC that have to do with the past of a certain companion and someone else that could've been a companion but is turning out to be a future adversary!   

Not only was I satisfied with Dead Money, but it even had me looking forward to future DLC. Apparently, things to come for the Courier are actually going to be very personal. Considering how nicely atmospheric Dead Money was, I'm definitely looking forward to more Fallout DLC, for once.

Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By Belonpopo

Under no circumstances should you buy that piece of shit content.

bayushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By bayushi

@Belonpopo: Agreed. That DLC is a kick to the nuts!

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Ghostiet
    @bayushi
    Pretty sure he made that decision already in the timespan of 7 fucking months, you know?
    Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#16  Edited By Brackynews

Dead Money necro thread? Allllrighty.

Take the Light Step perk while in the Madre, otherwise prepare to yank out all hair from every part of your body.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By sins_of_mosin

I'll chime in. In the past week I've played the first two DLC, Dead Money and Honest Hearts. Dead Money was pretty boring and mostly annoying with the design they went with. The only reason to play it at all is to get the gold bars at the end. And I don't know why people call it hard, I played it on normal at lvl 26 and had no issues besides those dang holograms. Honest Hearts was much better. I was surprised on how short it is but still an enjoyable ride.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BrockNRolla

Very interesting story.

Mechanics? Less than fun. Maybe even frustrating.

It felt like I was fighting through it and I stopped playing New Vegas for a few weeks in the middle because I didn't want to keep playing Dead Money (And you can't leave once you start). But, the manner in which the storyline wraps up in the end it quite enjoyable. So it depends on your threshold for frustration and semi-poorly created mechanics.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By pweidman

DM has some great storytelling imo. The gameplay amps up difficulty and tedium as well. I enjoyed it, as it felt very diverse from the standard Mojave vibe.

Some specific perks are very helpful.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.