Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout: New Vegas

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released Oct 19, 2010

The post-apocalyptic Fallout universe expands into Nevada in this new title in the franchise. As a courier once left for dead by a mysterious man in a striped suit, the player must now set out to find their assailant and uncover the secrets of the enigmatic ruler of New Vegas.

Smaller map than expected

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By Vinny_Says

Alright so I've unlocked the explorer perk last night and quickly realized how small the map actually is.

This is a bit disappointing especially since the south Vegas area only has a few buildings, and the wasteland has a billion invisible walls. Also the map does a terrible job of letting you know how to get to a map marker because of the rough terrain.

so my question is: Did you prefer the subway tunnels that allowed you to access parts of DC or these weird access routes with invisible walls all across the Mojave?
    infininja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By infininja
    @blacklabeldomm said:

" Did you prefer the subway tunnels that allowed you to access parts of DC or these weird access routes with invisible walls all across the Mojave? "

Do I really need to decide which turd smells better? 

I guess the invisible walls made me go "they're doing THIS in 2010??" more than the subways did.
    yoctoyotta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By yoctoyotta
    @blacklabeldomm said:

" Alright so I've unlocked the explorer perk last night and quickly realized how small the map actually is.

This is a bit disappointing especially since the south Vegas area only has a few buildings, and the wasteland has a billion invisible walls. Also the map does a terrible job of letting you know how to get to a map marker because of the rough terrain.  so my question is: Did you prefer the subway tunnels that allowed you to access parts of DC or these weird access routes with invisible walls all across the Mojave? "
    I hated the metro in 3. I mean, they were a blast to explore, but the maps made getting from point A to point B on the over world nearly impossible on a few occasions because the markers would never update while you were underground.
    KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

I preferred 3's map to New Vegas. I really enjoyed the way 3's map was laid out and I thought the metro tunnels were pretty neat. However, despite the fact that NV's map is about a quarter to a third smaller than 3's map (not even counting the massive unused portion of the world), and despite the fact that there are way less random, interesting locations to explore, the NV map still manages to cram a ton of shit to do into its considerably smaller area.

I just think that 3 did a better job of encouraging exploration. I loved all the cool buildings that weren't really there for any specific reason other than to just crawl around in for awhile. In NV, most locations that aren't used for a quest is small and/or empty, or completely useless. Why should a standalone building which has all of its doors nailed shut and serves no real purpose have its own map marker?

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Bones8677

Quest marker was completely broken when it came to locating a particular spot outside of New Vegas. You know what I'm talking about. 

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Aronman789

I wish we got a Morrowind style of directions instead. "Go to New Vegas, make a left, walk 20 miles, spin around three times, blah,blah,blah" Instead of a compass and map that told you were to go.

mattdragn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By mattdragn

I agree that morrwind's directions were kind of neat, but it was pretty easy to get lost in that game. I do think that Oblivion and Fallout 3 have taken things too far the other way, removing some of the excitement of the exploration in the rpgs.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#8  Edited By citizenkane

I agree that I wished the game did a better job of telling you how to get a location due to rough, unclimbable terrain and the like.

I can not tell you how frustrated I got when I tried to do the the Legion camp by going around a mountain through the Hoover Dam only to realize that there is an insurmountable road block on the damn going to the Legion camp.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By Tennmuerti

The monotonous copy pasted metro system in F3 was way worse.

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Gargantuan
    @Aronman789 said:
    " I wish we got a Morrowind style of directions instead. "Go to New Vegas, make a left, walk 20 miles, spin around three times, blah,blah,blah" Instead of a compass and map that told you were to go. "
    I loved doing quests and exploring in Morrowind. That was a real challenge. It's so easy and boring when a game holds your hand all the time.
    probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By probablytuna

Yeah I felt a bit surprised and disappointed when I was watching videos and finding out that the world map looked pretty small compared to Fallout 3's.     SPOILER WARNING: Click here to reveal hidden content.

Avatar image for generic_crack_dealer
    generic_crack_dealer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I dislike the map . . . . and the game. I still play it just because it's fallout, my friends have it, and it's a new game. Everytime I play I find myself missing fallout 3. I beat Fallout 3 one time, but restarted upwards of 12 times. Every time I replayed, I found something new (weapon, location, quest) and wanted to explore. If I wanted to go into D.C., I would be afraid to. It's dark, it's confusing, and full of super mutants, raiders and ghouls. In NV, I can walk across the map and not worry about shit. I don't like that. Too easy. I tried to find the Gibson Scrap Yard . . . oh what a treat. I know exactly where it is now, but the first time, I found Hidden Valley, Black Mountain, Helios One, and a bunch of radscorps and centaurs around scorpions gulch. Why? Because I can't get to the top of a hill or a mountain. Invisible walls. In Fallout 3, it was very clear: Turn around, you can't go that way (map border). Or 'Hey! this subway crashed and blocked this entire tunnel." "This building collapsed and blocked the whole road." When you see those things you don't even think about trying to get over them. New Vegas also has too many bugs (even after patch), and the different currency is crap. $NCR,   Legion coins, and caps. How about just caps? ----- One more reason why I like Fallout 3 better is because people in that game seemed unsettled. They just tried to stay alive. There's no gun companies or anything. It was like they weren't used to a post nuclear world, but it was slowly becoming the norm. They say stuff like, "I've heard stories about a magical place with trees." or "I have never seen a deathclaw." In New Vegas, it's like "I fought some deathclaws on my way to that abandoned vault. I saw two people get crucified." It seems way too normal. I don't know what I'm trying to say . .. . I do actually . . . .. you might not, but I do.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.