Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fallout

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Sep 30, 1997

A critically acclaimed role-playing game developed by Black Isle Studios and Tim Cain in 1997, Fallout established itself as a prominent post-apocalyptic universe with a dark sense of humor.

Should I play this game for the first time?

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Phatmac

I've heard great things, but I haven't played it or seen any video about it. I downloaded it today since it is free so I'm wondering if it still holds up. I'm a younger gamer than most people on here so put that into consideration. I can still appreciate older video games, but I probably won't enjoy as much as you do. So have any of you duders played it recently? Is it important to play or should I forget about it?

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By MariachiMacabre

Well it's free and you already have it so no harm in playing it. I say do it.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#3  Edited By BeachThunder

Definitely play it if you think it's something that interests you. I only played it for the first time a couple of years ago and I thought it was fantastic.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By LordXavierBritish

There is no reason not to play one of the best RPGs of all time when it is free.

Also yes, it is still good.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By MrKlorox

Yes. Then play it for the second and third times.

edit: Kinda amazed this landmark hasn't made it to Random Ass PC Game for all the guys who only ever played the Bethesda games.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By ShaggE

Just play it for the second time, skip the first.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

Fantastic game, a little dated obviously, but it's such a good game that there is literally no reason to not play it. Seriously, get on that shit.  

I played it a few months ago and booted it up again today for shits and giggles when I heard it was free on GOG. Game still holds up, even though I'm young and played the game when it was already getting old (1999-2000?) and I was still super young. Game is super important in open-world history as well, so yeah. 

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Phatmac

Huh, reading up on this game and it's a turn-based RPG? This'll be interesting..

Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Patman99

There is literally no downside to playing Fallout right now. The game is great, much like the rest of the series. To be honest, it was worth the $5 it was worth before this 100% off sale, and it is worth and infinite times more now. Seriously, if you have not played this game and are looking for something to do, GO GET IT NAAAOOOO!!!!!

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Phatmac

Ha ha thanks guys. I'll play it. May want to record myself playing it too. Now I just need some free time!

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By eroticfishcake

@Phatmac: Just a heads up. There's a bit of a wall (combat wise) early on that makes things a little tough near the beginning but once you get some companions and skills then it should grand.

Citizenking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Citizenking

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/04/05/fallout-free-on-gog-com-for-the-next-48-hours/

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By Shivoa

Yep, turn based RPG. Tactical stuff, except you're in a world where's it a totally valid life choice to roll low on perception, walk up to an enemy with a chaingun, and unload until the small pieces of giblets spread over the landscape and their feet are all that remains. So valid tactics can be running away, or being a tank, or a more traditional tactical combat role. You can play whoever you want to play, and pick sides in a fair few fights.

Come for the open world, choices matter, story; stay for the watching an enemy fall to pieces under sustained fire. If you can enjoy a game where you'll be doing a fair amount of reading and exploring then you'll be in for a good time.

Edit: can't type, damn these useless fingers.

Divina_Rex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Divina_Rex

It's a fun game and you should play it but, I believe that Fallout 2 is much better. However, you should install the Restoration Project Mod for Fallout 2 because it brings back so much cut content and made the game more enjoyable (much less stupid random battles).

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By viking_funeral

It's a fun game, but a lot slower than most modern games.

Also, don't worry about the countdown. It's much more time than you think.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Phatmac

@eroticfishcake said:

@Phatmac: Just a heads up. There's a bit of a wall (combat wise) early on that makes things a little tough near the beginning but once you get some companions and skills then it should grand.

Thanks! May set it to easy if I get stuck.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Phatmac

@Shivoa said:

Yep, turn based RPG. Tactical stuff, except you're in a world where's it a totally valid life choice to roll low on perception, walk up to an enemy with a chaingun, and unload until the small pieces of giblets spread over the landscape and their feet are all that remains. So valid tactics can be running away, or being a tank, or a more traditional tactical combat role. You can play whoever you want to play, and pick sides in a fair few fights.

Come for the open world, choices matter, story; stay for the watching an enemy fall to pieces under sustained fire. If you can enjoy a game where you'll be doing a fair amount of reading and exploring then you'll be in for a good time.

Edit: can't type, damn these useless fingers.

Sounds awesome. If it's anything remotely like FF Tactics than I'm in!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.