Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Family Man

Concept »

Some people will do anything for their families. They will fight, steal and kill to keep those close safe and alive.

The Giantbomb Family

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

Edited By sweep  Moderator

In light of recent hostility:

Giantbomb is a site built around personalities. Jeff, Ryan, Brad, Vinny, even the ambient chatter of Drew and Snide in the background. Then you have the users, a multitude of abstract internet memes and bombcast references. Giantbomb is a family and just by reading this you are part of it, even if you are the stupid ginger step-child that nobody likes.  

^^^ This is actually a Mirror ^^^

Families grow.

They get bigger. People have sex and then babies are made (according to the discovery channel. I have never actually seen this happen.) So when new writers arrive in the magnificent form of Brad and the slightly less magnificent but equally intriguing form of mattbodega, should we be supportive and helpful, or should we complain about the quality of news, the credibility of the journalism, even the style in which it has been written? Giantbomb is a newsblog. It's the same news you could get anywhere else but with some giantbomb flavor thrown in there to spice it up. It's news with personality.

These new personalities are not the ones you signed up for. You don't know these people, you haven't heard their sweet voices whispering in your ear every tuesday night and you haven't seen them chugging cokes or prancing around in a cape and playing obscure Ukrainian tractor simulators. They haven't earnt your respect. There are explanations for this: Instead of working alongside the bombcast crew the new writers have been cast out into the blackened depths of giantbomb without the support of the current staff. They appear to be doing everything, covering all the available news. As such they are presented as alternatives and instead of complimenting the existing style they are seen to be replacing it. It's a difficult problem to solve because the absence of the core staff is the reason for the acquisition of new talent in the first place. Plainly put, Jeff and Ryan are busy doing other shit, so the new fish have to pick up the slack and, in their fresh state, probably aren't doing as well as the regular writers.  

I don't believe they are floundering as much as the forums would have you believe. Both Matt and New Brad (Brad 2? Bradinator? Bradford?) have their own style and they just need a little time to get into giantbombs unique rhythm. I have faith, and so should you.

It'll come... It'll come. 

Thats what she said, amirite?  

On that note I should probably let you know that I recently broke up with my girlfriend. This sent me tumbling down the already steep hill of depression, initially pitched by my terrible end of year exams. I am dealing with this depression the only way I know how.  
    No Caption Provided

That's right. Tequila. 

Lastly, videogames. 

I'm home for the weekend and having left my 360 and PC at university I borrowed my brothers Wii. I'm playing through the original Super Mario Galaxy. I am apologetically ashamed that I had not experienced this game sooner. It is worth every ounce of praise that you can imagine. 

Thanks For Readng 
    Love Sweep  
    sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By sweep  Moderator

In light of recent hostility:

Giantbomb is a site built around personalities. Jeff, Ryan, Brad, Vinny, even the ambient chatter of Drew and Snide in the background. Then you have the users, a multitude of abstract internet memes and bombcast references. Giantbomb is a family and just by reading this you are part of it, even if you are the stupid ginger step-child that nobody likes.  

Families grow.

They get bigger. People have sex and then babies are made (according to the discovery channel. I have never actually seen this happen.) So when new writers arrive in the magnificent form of Brad and the slightly less magnificent but equally intriguing form of mattbodega, should we be supportive and helpful, or should we complain about the quality of news, the credibility of the journalism, even the style in which it has been written? Giantbomb is a newsblog. It's the same news you could get anywhere else but with some giantbomb flavor thrown in there to spice it up. It's news with personality.

These new personalities are not the ones you signed up for. You don't know these people, you haven't heard their sweet voices whispering in your ear every tuesday night and you haven't seen them chugging cokes or prancing around in a cape and playing obscure Ukrainian tractor simulators. They haven't earnt your respect. There are explanations for this: Instead of working alongside the bombcast crew the new writers have been cast out into the blackened depths of giantbomb without the support of the current staff. They appear to be doing everything, covering all the available news. As such they are presented as alternatives and instead of complimenting the existing style they are seen to be replacing it. It's a difficult problem to solve because the absence of the core staff is the reason for the acquisition of new talent in the first place. Plainly put, Jeff and Ryan are busy doing other shit, so the new fish have to pick up the slack and, in their fresh state, probably aren't doing as well as the regular writers.  

I don't believe they are floundering as much as the forums would have you believe. Both Matt and New Brad (Brad 2? Bradinator? Bradford?) have their own style and they just need a little time to get into giantbombs unique rhythm. I have faith, and so should you.

It'll come... It'll come. 

Thats what she said, amirite?  

On that note I should probably let you know that I recently broke up with my girlfriend. This sent me tumbling down the already steep hill of depression, initially pitched by my terrible end of year exams. I am dealing with this depression the only way I know how.  
    No Caption Provided

That's right. Tequila. 

Lastly, videogames. 

I'm home for the weekend and having left my 360 and PC at university I borrowed my brothers Wii. I'm playing through the original Super Mario Galaxy. I am apologetically ashamed that I had not experienced this game sooner. It is worth every ounce of praise that you can imagine. 

Thanks For Readng 
    Love Sweep  
    SadPatrol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By SadPatrol

ok

Avatar image for deactivated-58c3985c661d1
    deactivated-58c3985c661d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

I agree. I feel the guys are doing a great job, they just need time to get into the groove. But I like the fact that they are here and that they are providing us news. It's like people are complaining that we have too much news? I don't know, I like them and want to see how they develop. Also, I recently broke up with my girlfriend too. Life is a fuckin bitch :( . Good day

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#4  Edited By ArbitraryWater

That image of Pikachu is now burned into my retinas. Thanks Sweep!

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#5  Edited By Video_Game_King

Personally, I like to refer to him as Brad and the other Brad as Brad Two. That's why you never hear Brad on the Bombcast:

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By damswedon

hey i like the new guys, it is nice to see new going on the site. i just hope that new users don't forget the days when the news section had stupid stuff like this, this and this. also titan

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By GunstarRed

I didn't even realize there was new writers until about two days ago. I used to really like the way mattbodega talked about games on the old podcast thingy  from  50 years or so ago... that was him , right? *shrug*  Why would anyone complain about new staff? 

sorry about the girlfriend thing.  I hear Pikachu moved onto Heroin.
    Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8  Edited By Lies

As someone who 242'd SMG, it only gets better.

It only gets better

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By sweep  Moderator
    @Lies said:
    " As someone who 242'd SMG, it only gets better.

It only gets better "
    It took me a while to figure out what the fuck you are talking about. A 242 SMG sounds like a really bizarre sex position.
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Tennmuerti

I love the way Matt writes actually and I think he hit the ground running, was very impressive.
    He is also especially good on the ustream comments, it has been way more fun with him then when one of the core staff was monitoring them.

Brad2 however seems to have a writing style a bit at odds with GB and I just can't get behind it yet.
    It might do with the fact that he is not on location but freelancing, so the GB family has not rubbed off on him as much.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Capum15

I think they're fine additions to the crew. Another good blog, and....erm, nice picture of Pikachu there. Reminds me of Robot chicken when he did coke in the pokeball.

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MiniPato

I agree with your sentiments. People need to stop complaining about new staff. 5 people (including Drew) with the occasional Mike and Dave are too small to run a popular site like Giant Bomb and keep it afloat with content. From what it looks like they get shipped off to other places fairly often. And its tiring, so having other people give them a hand is a good thing. People calling this Giant Bomtaku are retards and are probably the same people who bitch and moan about Jeff going to Hawaii.

@Lies said:

" As someone who 242'd SMG, it only gets better.

It only gets better "

I thought you were talking about Halo or something.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#13  Edited By Claude

I only 87'd SMG.

New guys are cool. BradN writes about sports!

sawfish22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By sawfish22

Cool story bro.
    Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Daveyo520

Great blog as always Sweep. I don't have a problem with the new guys, and I don't know why everyone is complaining. The old guys are still around.

I went into a dark spiral of depression when my ex broke up with me too, it's hard times. I promise you though that you will eventually get out of it and things will be ok. Try to stay strong and you can do this. I really hope you feel better soon.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#16  Edited By Tireyo

Glad you enjoyed Super Mario Galaxy 2, and I know that you just have to be drunk right now. Either that or you have a hangover. PEACE!!

Crono11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By Crono11

I had something to say but since I'm a daywalking ginger I don't think you want to hear it.

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#18  Edited By Oni

Matt's doing terifically and fits Giant Bomb perfectly because he's been around and active since day 1. Some of the stuff Brad posts isn't so hot, and more to the point it's non-news that you can get literally anywhere. Rockstar isn't showing anything at E3? Oh, you mean like every single year, ever? Why is that cluttering up my Giant Bomb, I have Kotaku for that crap :( I just don't see the point of turning Giant Bomb into another Kotaku or VG247, it feels like it makes the site less unique... I'll shut up now.

Aetos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By Aetos

I don't mind them. They both are still learning.  

I also like Matt getting harassed by Ryan on TNT. Makes for some funny moments.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't like non-news being posted as news.

I like Matt.  Though if more Matt means less Drew, then this is going to be a two-fisted rigmarole.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#21  Edited By wefwefasdf

I agree. No one really even gave them a chance. I don't really even come to Giant Bomb for news anyway; I have other sites for that. Hope you feel better Sweep!

indians34521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By indians34521

I like this post. Very well writen.
    c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By c1337us

I am going to just call new Brad, Brad and old Brad Borounds. Also I love that picture of Pikachu. Also good luck getting over you girlfriend.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By Red12b

Dude, sorry to hear that man,
    Take it easy on the terps though, Tequila has a fine line of being a grateful sanctuary and a harsh mistress, know your limits,

When I first joined this site I had recently broken up with my girl, and lost my job, I wasn’t in a good headspace, and I relied on the site as a crutch, my best advice is, don’t get reliant on one thing, use your friends, that’s what they are for, to pull you up when you are down, listen to music, try and find your groove again, and don’t worry too much, life sorts things out for you, whilst it may seem like shit today, tomorrow will be brighter,

Be good man, don’t give up on your goals, use them as a guideline.    

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By DanielJW

Here, here! True words, dear Sweepums. 

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#26  Edited By buzz_clik

I agree with you completely, Sweeper - the new dudes do actually have their own developing styles that do have amusing flourishes worthy of the GB brand. I'm not saying they're there yet, but they're certainly on the right path and it'll be interesting to see how they go.

Also, I find 'tequila' to be the correct answer to 98% of questions (the other 2% is 'Kid Rock').

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Red12b

DUDE, you should totally change your avatar to an emo hamburger, black background sheet of lettuce covering the left side of the burger, olives as the eyes,  

insiiiiiide you!

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28  Edited By tebbit

Don't become Tequila Pikachu, Sweep! 

Also, have fun playing SMG, it's my game of the Decade so far. Makes all the pains of the world melt away :)

Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Llama

Peace, love and understanding. Are you on acid or something?

ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By ThomasP

I'm happy that a member of the community was hired and I think they are both going to develop nicely.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.