Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Far Cry 2

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Oct 21, 2008

The sequel to the original Far Cry dispenses with Jack Carver, and moves the action to a war-consumed Africa complete with an open-ended storyline involving civil war, several hours of missions, heated gunplay, and a slew of dynamic elements powered by a new engine.

Anyone else have this feeling?

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Gunner

So ive played about 5 hours of it so far and i have to say, fantastic game. But there is something about it that seems... exausting in a way, like you never stop to do missions and you can just ride around looking at the landscape because every minute you run into a guard post and you end up having to get out and kill everyone or they will chase you down.  Just seems like they should have added something to the game were you can do something simple and rest for a little bit or something. I know its a kind of whiney complaint but i just had to get it off my chest, Anyone else get that feeling?

cgrady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By cgrady

you can get around a lot of the guard posts, but i agree. also the fact that every time someone drives by they want to kill you is kinda annoying. if you stay off the roads you can do plenty of safe exploring though

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Gunner
    cgrady said:
    "you can get around a lot of the guard posts, but i agree. also the fact that every time someone drives by they want to kill you is kinda annoying. if you stay off the roads you can do plenty of safe exploring though"
    I really dont understand why they attack you, at the beginning of the game they let you through that one post with ease. then all of a sudden everyone outside of that one city wants to kill you. Doesnt make sense to me.
    Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

Personally I've been running through them most of the time. sometimes you get caught by obstacles or run into an oncoming patrol jeep, then you have to get out, but usually they'll stop chasing you before you take any real damage.

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Gunner
    Bellum said:
    "Personally I've been running through them most of the time. sometimes you get caught by obstacles or run into an oncoming patrol jeep, then you have to get out, but usually they'll stop chasing you before you take any real damage."
    Yeah but then after you lose them you have to get out and repair your vehicle unless you want your car to blow up if you run into another patrol/camp.
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By kush

I agree that all the guard posts etc can get kind of annoying (especially when you're on your way back and they have all respawned), but I don't think it hurts the game that much. Most of the time I'm able to just drive right through and only take a few shots without being chased...

cgrady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By cgrady

does anyone know if eventually some of the guard posts wont attack you? if you get enough reputation with a faction? wondering what the locks are on the guard post icons

RobDaFunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RobDaFunk
    cgrady said:
    "does anyone know if eventually some of the guard posts wont attack you? if you get enough reputation with a faction? wondering what the locks are on the guard post icons"
    the locks on the guard posts are there if you haven't scouted the post (i.e. killed all the guards one time and looked around the area after) i did this earlier and the guard post changed icon's to a explosive pile. :) handy.
    Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By Driadon
    RobDaFunk said:
    "cgrady said:
    "does anyone know if eventually some of the guard posts wont attack you? if you get enough reputation with a faction? wondering what the locks are on the guard post icons"
    the locks on the guard posts are there if you haven't scouted the post (i.e. killed all the guards one time and looked around the area after) i did this earlier and the guard post changed icon's to a explosive pile. :) handy."
    Yeah, I'm thinking this is why they added so many guard posts; you secure it and, usually, there's extra ammo and the like for you to pick up before moving on to, say, a mission objective.
    cgrady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By cgrady

Ahh that makes sense. Don't know how I didn't realize that!

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By jakob187

I'm only 30 minutes into the game so far, and I was bored off my ass.  I know that's a stupid complaint, and I'm going to end up playing more.  I just really wish that I didn't feel like I was doing next to nothing at the moment.

cgrady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By cgrady

I felt the same but just stick with it!

mikevanpwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By mikevanpwn
    RobDaFunk said:
    "cgrady said:
    the locks on the guard posts are there if you haven't scouted the post (i.e. killed all the guards one time and looked around the area after) i did this earlier and the guard post changed icon's to a explosive pile. :) handy."
    Yeah but it doesn't prevent them from respawning.   Which was my hope when I scouted my first guard post.
    Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Gunner

/sigh..

At the end of a mission my biddy needed my help, i rushed over there to fin him surrounded by several enemies. After i killed all of the enemies, i ran over to him so i could heal him. But it turns out, the only thing i could do was give him an overdose of morphine and let him die :(

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By wefwefasdf
    Gunner said:
    "/sigh..

At the end of a mission my biddy needed my help, i rushed over there to fin him surrounded by several enemies. After i killed all of the enemies, i ran over to him so i could heal him. But it turns out, the only thing i could do was give him an overdose of morphine and let him die :("
    It is a cruel world my friend.
    Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Gunner
    SpikeSpiegel said:
    "Gunner said:
    "/sigh..

At the end of a mission my biddy needed my help, i rushed over there to fin him surrounded by several enemies. After i killed all of the enemies, i ran over to him so i could heal him. But it turns out, the only thing i could do was give him an overdose of morphine and let him die :("
    It is a cruel world my friend."
    i could have shot him in the head. but i couldn't do that to a biddy of mine. Unless i was out of syringes
    ep_driver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By ep_driver

I totally agree with you. The guard posts irritate me, as well as everyone wanting to kill you. The other complaint that I have is that there is no efficient fast travel system and it seems like every mission you get is on the other side of the map. I realize you can utilize the bus system but even then you have to drive through three guard posts every time just to get to a bus station. These few but weighty complaints are why I would probably only give FC2 a 7 or 7.5 out of 10.

ep_driver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By ep_driver

I was thinking some more about the downfalls of this game. Another thing that bothers me are the voice tracks. They seem all sped up and sound strange. Anyone else notice it? The whole malaria idea is weak too, it's just annoying and doesn't add to the experience in my opinion. The main character(you) has no voice which makes me care less about the story and blocks me from getting sucked into it which I find to be a huge fault. While my list of complaints is pretty large I have to admit that something has been pulling me back to play this game over the last few days. I kind of wish I would have just waited and bought Fallout3 instead. Owning GTA4, I shouldn't have bought this game.

cgrady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By cgrady

i think the bus system works pretty well. can definitely cut down a lot of travel time. i use it a lot

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So far I'd say the biggest faults are the NPC's. It's just not convincing when EVERY NPC serves a functional purpose. It's either a buddy or a gun salesman or a hostile or a quest outlet. The bus stations don't have any bus drivers or ticket salesmen. The villages don't have any villagers. The bar doesn't have any bartender. I hope that's the first thing the mods fix. Secondly I'd like to see you be able to talk your way through checkpoints, at least before you have a reputation. I don't mind fighting the battles, but the sheer bloodthirst of the mercenaries ruins the illusion. I don't think real world war-torn African countries are that bad. They'd have checkpoints to maintain control. Trying to kill everyone would make it impossible to maintain control.

Still, I've put around 10 hours into it and I haven't stopped having fun. The world map is well designed with actual detail. What would be repetitive and boring gameplay isn't because terrain, which is important in this game, is varied and interesting, that and the weapons giving you a wide variety of interesting choices.

Soulglove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Soulglove

Whenever I can I travel on foot, staying away from the roads, and use the buses so I can save as well. I don't want to spoil anything, but Act 2 is awesome and a bitch at the same time. There are more snipers, guards with rocket launchers, and mortars. Patrols are the same, I wish there was some option or item you could get to minimize patrols. I mean c'mon, there was an item for Final Fantasy 3 that minimized monster encounters, and that game is years old, so it's possible. I never feel too strong or powerful in the game, the amount of enemies and their weapons make sure of that.

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Gunner
    Bellum said:
    "So far I'd say the biggest faults are the NPC's. It's just not convincing when EVERY NPC serves a functional purpose. It's either a buddy or a gun salesman or a hostile or a quest outlet. The bus stations don't have any bus drivers or ticket salesmen. The villages don't have any villagers. The bar doesn't have any bartender. I hope that's the first thing the mods fix. Secondly I'd like to see you be able to talk your way through checkpoints, at least before you have a reputation. I don't mind fighting the battles, but the sheer bloodthirst of the mercenaries ruins the illusion. I don't think real world war-torn African countries are that bad. They'd have checkpoints to maintain control. Trying to kill everyone would make it impossible to maintain control.

Still, I've put around 10 hours into it and I haven't stopped having fun. The world map is well designed with actual detail. What would be repetitive and boring gameplay isn't because terrain, which is important in this game, is varied and interesting, that and the weapons giving you a wide variety of interesting choices."
    yeah i noticed that too. Whats the point of having a country if there arnt any people in it besides solders. A patch would be just perfect for the game, screw wild predators, i want some gameplay fixes.
    darknaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#23  Edited By darknaut

Just something else to point out I think a lot of people overlook. Don't forget the game has rivers! Yesterday I decided to experiment with using the rivers for the majority of my travels, and then hoofing it on foot the rest of the way to my destination. You usually have far less encounters, and NPCs seem less inclined to jump in a boat and chase you than they do to jump in a Jeep. It's a hell of a lot faster than taking all those curvy roads and bumping into rocks all day long. Try it!

giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By giyanks22
    Gunner said:
    "So ive played about 5 hours of it so far and i have to say, fantastic game. But there is something about it that seems... exausting in a way, like you never stop to do missions and you can just ride around looking at the landscape because every minute you run into a guard post and you end up having to get out and kill everyone or they will chase you down.  Just seems like they should have added something to the game were you can do something simple and rest for a little bit or something. I know its a kind of whiney complaint but i just had to get it off my chest, Anyone else get that feeling?"
    But I think that was meant to be part of the game. It makes it more realistic, and really makes it seem like a a realistic setting. The fact that you can't really get around any where without running into enemies. It is annoying, but I thing it adds an extra degree of realism to the game.
    Thunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Thunder

I dont mind it that much i mean i do plenty of exploring and missions at the same time

lvl10Wizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By lvl10Wizard

I've been playing for about 3-4 hours, it'd be nice if there was a way of claiming territory and turning it into a safe zone. All the encounters do get tiring after a while. I think Darknaut makes a good point about the rivers, I'm going to use those a bit more often.

rohanspear345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By rohanspear345

Yea i wished I could ally at least 1 of the factions so I would only get attacked 50% of the time, but it is not so.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28  Edited By daniel_beck_90

Yes , I agree with you , in such a beautiful environment some none shooting missions would have been so cool .

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.