Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Far Cry 2

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Oct 21, 2008

The sequel to the original Far Cry dispenses with Jack Carver, and moves the action to a war-consumed Africa complete with an open-ended storyline involving civil war, several hours of missions, heated gunplay, and a slew of dynamic elements powered by a new engine.

My new found love for Far Cry 2

rame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

Edited By rame

Like many of you I anticipate E3 i comb through all the previews, first looks, and trailers to find out what I'll be blowing my hard earned cash on. One of these trailers caught my eye, it was Far Cry 3, I was impressed by the voice acting and the character Voss, who appears to be one of the story's antagonists. I was so pumped I started reminiscing on my experiences with the franchise;  setting booby traps, using my feral instincts to punch a man 30 feet into air and hang-gliding down a beautiful tropic coast only to machine gun down 5 unsuspecting mercenaries. Then I realized I never played Far Cry 2, this would soon be rectified.

Now I know the game came out in 2008 and so I decided to look at what people thought of the game as I waited for Amazon to deliver my copy, to say the least it was a mixed bag, some people bemoaned the amount a travel between missions, others did not appreciate the realistic tone the game set, i.e. aggressive A.I., guns jamming, and symptoms of the characters malaria creating the need to find medicine periodically. Well I’m here to tell you this is one unbelievable game with a depth that kept me glued to my couch for an entire weekend (so far). I enjoy the game so much because it suits to my style of play, which is methodical and exploratory. Both of which are rewarded in Far Cry 2. I’m only 6 hours in the game, but I’ve enjoyed how I’m given the freedom to approach objectives anyway I want for example I saw on my map there was a guard post up ahead as i sneaked through the brush adjacent to the road I saw headlights approaching, I ran a few yards from the road equipped my RPG and BOOM! The fiery patrol jeep and its two occupants sailed into the evening sky as the charred shell landed on its roof. Taking out the vehicle meant I could now take out the guard post minus firepower from the Jeep’s turret. Continuing through the cover provided by the brush, trees and tall grass, I survey the camp and determine there are 6 guards i need to deal with; two are sitting together smoking and trading stories, while the other four are patrolling the perimeter. I pull out my recently purchased silencer Marakov and shoot one patrolling guard in the head, I quickly lob a grenade by the two guards sitting and pull out my assault rifle and shot a flammable barrel which explodes and engulfs another guard in flames. Controlled chaos ensues, the two remaining guards are terrified they yell at each other to take cover but it’s too late, with my assault rifle drawn I take out the mercs in quick succession and the guard post is mine... for now.  

This is just one example of the addicting gameplay found in Far Cry 2. Yes there are some drawbacks, I’ve had my gun jam in the middle of a fire fight (mind you, stick to your own guns and this will be a none issue) and travel between destinations can be tedious, but for me these are what make Far Cry 2 a different breed of game. I don’t mind the travel because it gives me a chance to take in the lush world Crytek created, with so much painstaking detail it’s easy to get lost in the environment as i make my way to the next objective. I for one have grown to love this game as welcomed break from the mindless run and gun of the current FPS’s out there. Looking forward to playing more and honing my tactics for the release of Far Cry 3. Any of you out there in the closet? Come out and show your love for Far Cry 2 let me know about some of your favorite moments our what kind of tactics you use.  

rame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By rame

Like many of you I anticipate E3 i comb through all the previews, first looks, and trailers to find out what I'll be blowing my hard earned cash on. One of these trailers caught my eye, it was Far Cry 3, I was impressed by the voice acting and the character Voss, who appears to be one of the story's antagonists. I was so pumped I started reminiscing on my experiences with the franchise;  setting booby traps, using my feral instincts to punch a man 30 feet into air and hang-gliding down a beautiful tropic coast only to machine gun down 5 unsuspecting mercenaries. Then I realized I never played Far Cry 2, this would soon be rectified.

Now I know the game came out in 2008 and so I decided to look at what people thought of the game as I waited for Amazon to deliver my copy, to say the least it was a mixed bag, some people bemoaned the amount a travel between missions, others did not appreciate the realistic tone the game set, i.e. aggressive A.I., guns jamming, and symptoms of the characters malaria creating the need to find medicine periodically. Well I’m here to tell you this is one unbelievable game with a depth that kept me glued to my couch for an entire weekend (so far). I enjoy the game so much because it suits to my style of play, which is methodical and exploratory. Both of which are rewarded in Far Cry 2. I’m only 6 hours in the game, but I’ve enjoyed how I’m given the freedom to approach objectives anyway I want for example I saw on my map there was a guard post up ahead as i sneaked through the brush adjacent to the road I saw headlights approaching, I ran a few yards from the road equipped my RPG and BOOM! The fiery patrol jeep and its two occupants sailed into the evening sky as the charred shell landed on its roof. Taking out the vehicle meant I could now take out the guard post minus firepower from the Jeep’s turret. Continuing through the cover provided by the brush, trees and tall grass, I survey the camp and determine there are 6 guards i need to deal with; two are sitting together smoking and trading stories, while the other four are patrolling the perimeter. I pull out my recently purchased silencer Marakov and shoot one patrolling guard in the head, I quickly lob a grenade by the two guards sitting and pull out my assault rifle and shot a flammable barrel which explodes and engulfs another guard in flames. Controlled chaos ensues, the two remaining guards are terrified they yell at each other to take cover but it’s too late, with my assault rifle drawn I take out the mercs in quick succession and the guard post is mine... for now.  

This is just one example of the addicting gameplay found in Far Cry 2. Yes there are some drawbacks, I’ve had my gun jam in the middle of a fire fight (mind you, stick to your own guns and this will be a none issue) and travel between destinations can be tedious, but for me these are what make Far Cry 2 a different breed of game. I don’t mind the travel because it gives me a chance to take in the lush world Crytek created, with so much painstaking detail it’s easy to get lost in the environment as i make my way to the next objective. I for one have grown to love this game as welcomed break from the mindless run and gun of the current FPS’s out there. Looking forward to playing more and honing my tactics for the release of Far Cry 3. Any of you out there in the closet? Come out and show your love for Far Cry 2 let me know about some of your favorite moments our what kind of tactics you use.  

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By sixghost

I wish the enemies weren't so perceptive. Every time I spend 10 minutes scoping out a camp and getting into the feel of hunting these guys, it gets ruined by some guard spotting me from 30 yards away through a bush at nighttime. It's like the game is encouraging you to just play it like every other FPS.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Jack268

The thing that entirely killed Far Cry 2 for me was driving between missions and getting attacked by dudes hiding in a bush 2 kilometers away where you can't even see them but they can and they never miss even when you're going at 60 km/h and you don't feel like dealing with those assholes at all, especially not when they have the drop on you and driving towards them would probably be even more suicidal than just trying to get to the next mission.

xpgamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By xpgamer7

I liked it but the crystal hunting was kind of annoying. I wish you could find crystals by searching the pockets of dead enemies.

rame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By rame

@sixghost I definitely ran into that scenario where some guy spotted me before i saw him. I've found that once i got close to a camp I had to be the aggressor. blow something up divert attention to the explosion then start picking off guys. If I stay to the outer edges of a camp/guard post my chances of going undetected increased. 

@Jack I drive off road almost never on it and turn the lights off. It takes longer but decreases my chances of being ambushed. I know that's not everyone's style of play, but it works.

Tacoboy1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Tacoboy1986

Yeah, I really enjoyed the game too. I've considered playing through it again, but I dumped a ton of hours into it the first time. I don't know if I'm ready for that again. I just remember the positive aspects more than the negative.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#7  Edited By BeachThunder

Well, I've just started playing the game, but I'm loving it. I'm finding it to be a beautiful game that's lots of fun to explore. 

I'm surprised at how negative some people have been about the game. Sure, it's not Far Cry 1 and the malaria thing is incredibly annoying, but overall, it seems like a highly enjoyable game so far.

Gregomasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Gregomasta

I agree man.  I picked it up during the steam sale when it was 5 bucks.  Best damn 5 bucks I've spent all month.  I absolutely love it, I'm sucked into world and I plan my tactics for every patrol, camp and compound I encounter.  The game looks still beautiful and I enjoy experiencing the details that make up the world. 

@rame said:

@Jack I drive off road almost never on it and turn the lights off. It takes longer but decreases my chances of being ambushed. I know that's not everyone's style of play, but it works.
    You drive off road?  I usually try to but It's just about impossible for me, there's too many rocks and trees in the way to get anywhere.
    Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By Vinny_Says

Far Cry 2 is about patience, it's about finding the right weapon for the right situation and knowing your environment. 
    I started this game with the guns blazing approach and constantly found myself in 3 feet of shit. I later came back to it with a new mindset and was blown away. 

I hate it when people say "you're not playing it right...." but this is the only game I know where this applies.

hoossy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By hoossy

respawning camps pissed me off to no end... the awful dialogue and plot... every single car on the road attacks you... the game was way too repetitive for me.  And this comes from someone who was one of the biggest fanboys around while waiting for FC2 to come out...  

I was so disappointed....  yet I'm still holding out a little hope for number 3

Mayu_Zane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Mayu_Zane

I liked it, but holy hell do I hate the rare bug that causes your buddy to be labelled 'mercy killed' after s/he saves you when there are no enemies around. I fell down a cliff, buddy revived me, I thought he was okay, but I looked at my journal and he was considered 'mercy killed'. By the time I realize what had happened, I already overwrote my save file.

Regardless, there is much fun to be had, especially if you like sniping. Eliminating an entire checkpoint from a range so far away none of their weapons can hit you is great.

cheesebob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By cheesebob

Thing which killed Far Cry 2 for me was the fact that it was too long with very little changes. If it had no second 'act' as it were and had a slightly bigger, more densely packed first area. It would've been so much better

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By Ghostiet
    @Cheesebob said:

Thing which killed Far Cry 2 for me was the fact that it was too long with very little changes. If it had no second 'act' as it were and had a slightly bigger, more densely packed first area. It would've been so much better

The problem with the second act was that you had to start practically from scratch, since the shape of the terrain and introduction of those fucking mortars made you into a beginner. Also, I could do without the guard posts spawning all the time, give me SOME break.

Still, it was quite fun overall.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By Rowr

Has this game been fixed?

Despite all the fake realism, the enemies were ridiculous bullet sponges and the AI was turned up to 10 all the time completely breaking the game. It felt like a poor mans Stalker when I played it a few years ago. I just picked it up on a steam sale, i'm hoping its been patched or I can mod it or something to make it playable.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By oraknabo

My only real complaints were how quickly an entire checkpoint of enemies would respawn and the fact that a bug ate my only save about halfway through. Other than that, it was probably one of the top 5 FPS experiences I've had.

Onno10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Onno10

I only remember hating those fucking mortars

rame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By rame

I haven't gotten to the mortars yet, but I see that I will soon have the option to purchase them so I anticipate unleashing hell on A.I. soon enough. I give as good as I take. :-)

MrMcJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By MrMcJerk

Mortars are fun.  In the second map with the huge central lake, I set up my mortars and took out camps from my boat.  Hilarious.  

Aside from the magic t-shirts that protect these guys from a dozen bullets, I really like Far Cry 2.  I'm looking forward to the third.  Nice blog.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.