Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fez

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Apr 13, 2012

A puzzle platformer developed by Polytron that uses a 2D perspective shifting mechanic to solve puzzles and complete levels. The main character, a white creature named Gomez, wears a fez and is obsessed with collecting hats.

Trying Fez again. I think I know what I dont know. Help? SPOILERS

• 74 results
    TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By TruthTellah

@golguin: Alright. Well, it sounds like you probably did accidentally miss a last golden bit, but that can be alright. You should be able to find a place with only 3 bits shown on the map, but if you can't and even if it is some kind of glitch, then the extra anticube can make up for that. The final door only cares about having 64 cubes regardless of what those cubes are.

So, you have all 4 artifacts, all 9 treasure maps, all 3 heart pieces, and 32 anticubes? But only 31 golden cubes and 3 bits?

Here are all 33 anticubes if you have to try to get the extra anticube to hit 64 total:

1.) achievement unlocked (just type in the achievemnt unlocked desciption)

2.) picture room home village (where you can find a quest with a key): rt rt lt rt lt lt lt rt

3.) graveyard room with huge skull and several little ones: turn all skulls in one direction

4.) forest wooden house: right rt left lt left up down a

5.) area after wood with mushroom jumps: lt a rt up down lt rt a

6.) room wih pink blocks and 10 different marks signs on the wall: xxx

xxx (this is the way you need to arrange them, upper line is on this podest like thing the rest in the row under it)

7) throne room: rt rt lt rt rt rt lt lt rt lt lt lt rt lt rt lt

8) clocktower (need to wait in real life time): red

9) clocktower (need to wait in real life time): blue

10) clocktower (need to wait in real life time): green

11) clocktower (need to wait in real life time): white

12) stone statue: up a rt lt a down lt rt

13) the observitory: lt lt rt lt rt lt rt lt lt lt rt lt lt rt rt lt *

14) the observitory: rt a a right right rt left rt (2x)

15) anti cube in a box (no idea where that was)

16) room with cube: put all 4 in right place

17) belltower: ring the bell from the right side first 1, 3, 6, 10 times (decipher signs in link for correct order)

18) anti cube in box with treasure map

19) rumble riddle behind waterfall (push rt or lt depending on which side of your controller rumbles)

20) level behind waterfall top

21) endless room next to waterfall area: right lt right art down a up

22) waterfall once water is gone: metatron

23) under lighthouse once water is gone: lt rt rt lt lt lt rt rt rt rt

24) lava room: lt lt rt lt lt rt rt rt

25) sewer key room:lt lt lt rt lt rt lt rt

26) classroom (door that requires 8 cubes to open): up left rt a lt right a down

27) boiler room home village: up rt left a right lt down rt

28) City with 16 cubes: rt rt rt lt rt rt rt lt

29) weird all block room under belltower

30) on top of the owl statue after collectin all 4 owls (can only be found at night)

31) lighthouse: up lt rt up lt up rt up

32) next to belltower: correct places for cubes

33) room to second warp area (observitory): left left down down right right up up

Though, I'd try to find that last bit first if you can. It's preferable to have 32 golden and 32 anticubes for the end.

(have you looked in the owl area? And all of the clock is solved? the map really should show where any areas are missing a bit. What spots on the map are not gold? And some people miss one of the bits near where you get the Tome. So, perhaps look there. Usually a missing bit is really having just missed one bit. Your map really should indicate with an icon any discovered location that still has a bit.)

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#52  Edited By golguin

@TruthTellah said:

@golguin: Alright. Well, it sounds like you probably did accidentally miss a last golden bit, but that can be alright. You should be able to find a place with only 3 bits shown on the map, but if you can't and even if it is some kind of glitch, then the extra anticube can make up for that. The final door only cares about having 64 cubes regardless of what those cubes are.

So, you have all 4 artifacts, all 9 treasure maps, all 3 heart pieces, and 32 anticubes? But only 31 golden cubes and 3 bits?

Here are all 33 anticubes if you have to try to get the extra anticube to hit 64 total:

1.) achievement unlocked (just type in the achievemnt unlocked desciption)

2.) picture room home village (where you can find a quest with a key): rt rt lt rt lt lt lt rt

3.) graveyard room with huge skull and several little ones: turn all skulls in one direction

4.) forest wooden house: right rt left lt left up down a

5.) area after wood with mushroom jumps: lt a rt up down lt rt a

6.) room wih pink blocks and 10 different marks signs on the wall: xxx

xxx (this is the way you need to arrange them, upper line is on this podest like thing the rest in the row under it)

7) throne room: rt rt lt rt rt rt lt lt rt lt lt lt rt lt rt lt

8) clocktower (need to wait in real life time): red

9) clocktower (need to wait in real life time): blue

10) clocktower (need to wait in real life time): green

11) clocktower (need to wait in real life time): white

12) stone statue: up a rt lt a down lt rt

13) the observitory: lt lt rt lt rt lt rt lt lt lt rt lt lt rt rt lt *

14) the observitory: rt a a right right rt left rt (2x)

15) anti cube in a box (no idea where that was)

16) room with cube: put all 4 in right place

17) belltower: ring the bell from the right side first 1, 3, 6, 10 times (decipher signs in link for correct order)

18) anti cube in box with treasure map

19) rumble riddle behind waterfall (push rt or lt depending on which side of your controller rumbles)

20) level behind waterfall top

21) endless room next to waterfall area: right lt right art down a up

22) waterfall once water is gone: metatron

23) under lighthouse once water is gone: lt rt rt lt lt lt rt rt rt rt

24) lava room: lt lt rt lt lt rt rt rt

25) sewer key room:lt lt lt rt lt rt lt rt

26) classroom (door that requires 8 cubes to open): up left rt a lt right a down

27) boiler room home village: up rt left a right lt down rt

28) City with 16 cubes: rt rt rt lt rt rt rt lt

29) weird all block room under belltower

30) on top of the owl statue after collectin all 4 owls (can only be found at night)

31) lighthouse: up lt rt up lt up rt up

32) next to belltower: correct places for cubes

33) room to second warp area (observitory): left left down down right right up up

Though, I'd try to find that last bit first if you can. It's preferable to have 32 golden and 32 anticubes for the end.

(have you looked in the owl area? And all of the clock is solved? the map really should show where any areas are missing a bit. What spots on the map are not gold?)

I only have 3 artifacts. I believe I did find 3 heart pieces. I have 32 anti cubes. I have 31 golden cubes and 7/8 for the last golden cube.

EDIT: I have 8 full maps and the 9th map is torn. The three artifacts are the numbers, the letters, and the skull.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By TruthTellah

@golguin: Okay. So you have the Counting Cube, the Tome, and the Skull. So all that's left is the Writing Cube.

You should look toward the tree area. There you will find a treasure chest.

Here's how to get it:

• Start at the zone with three locked doors, requiring [4/8/16] cubes to unlock.
  • Enter the door at the top of this room, it will take you to a new room with a column to your left. Enter the door at the top of the column.
  • You’ll arrive in a room with a waterfall. Climb to the top of the room, and use the door inside the tree.
  • Through the door, use the mushrooms to reach the treasure chest at the top. You’ll have found the first artifact.
  • And again, what locations on your map are not gold? There should only be a handful now.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By golguin

@TruthTellah said:

@golguin: Okay. So you have the Counting Cube, the Tome, and the Skull. So all that's left is the Writing Cube.

You should look toward the tree area. There you will find a treasure chest.

Here's how to get it:

• Start at the zone with three locked doors, requiring [4/8/16] cubes to unlock.
  • Enter the door at the top of this room, it will take you to a new room with a column to your left. Enter the door at the top of the column.
  • You’ll arrive in a room with a waterfall. Climb to the top of the room, and use the door inside the tree.
  • Through the door, use the mushrooms to reach the treasure chest at the top. You’ll have found the first artifact.
  • And again, what locations on your map are not gold? There should only be a handful now.

Looking at my map I have two blank rooms. One blank room is behind the final door. The last blank room connected to a small room with pictures of various locations of the world. Go outside and the facade of the building is greek in origin. Leaving that area connects to the clock.

I have two question marks. One question mark is the final door and the other question mark is in the room with the markings on the floor that resemble the torn map.

Only two blanks and two question marks. Everything else is gold.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By TruthTellah

@golguin: Okay, I edited my last reply, just in case you didn't see that.

Now, you -are- missing one room. The room with various pictures and a bookcase has a secret. Don't overthink it. Just try what you can.

Push x on the bookcase to push it aside.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By golguin

@TruthTellah said:

@golguin: Okay, I edited my last reply, just in case you didn't see that.

Now, you -are- missing one room. The room with various pictures and a bookcase has a secret. Don't overthink it. Just try what you can.

Push x on the bookcase to push it aside.

So the last golden bit is in that blank room? I haven't look at your spoiler. If the path is there I'll stay in that room with the various books and pictures until I figure it out. I already know I can break that room and fall out of the borders into nothingness and die. I guess I should stop doing that.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By TruthTellah

@golguin: And I really think you may have missed the one bit that so many people have. The one related to the owls. A lot of people miss that there are two doors with the owl, and in that room is 1 bit and an anticube(which I suppose would put you at 32 gold and 33 anticubes). Just a guess, as it's a common one people miss.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By TruthTellah

@golguin: haha. Stop breaking the game. :P

I don't remember if a bit is there, but it's still something to solve. My spoiler is just indicated how to unlock the secret in the room. After that, just get the Writing Cube. I'm still guessing that you just missed one bit somewhere you've explored. Probably the one tons of people miss. Which is in one of the two owl rooms.

(oh, you haven't solved the Monolith room with the floor that looks like the symbol on one of the treasure maps? That doesn't have a bit, but that is where the last red cube is.)

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By golguin

@TruthTellah said:

@golguin: And I really think you may have missed the one bit that so many people have. The one related to the owls. A lot of people miss that there are two doors with the owl, and in that room is 1 bit and an anticube(which I suppose would put you at 32 gold and 33 anticubes). Just a guess, as it's a common one people miss.

Related to the owls? Can that room be gold and still have that 1 bit and an anticube?

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By TruthTellah

@golguin said:

@TruthTellah said:

Related to the owls? Can that room be gold and still have that 1 bit and an anticube?

hm. I'm not sure. I think it should be white, but I don't remember. The owl room is the one where a ton of people found their last bit after sitting at 31 and 7/8 for a while.

Just make sure you have everything around here: http://i.imgur.com/ouIBg.jpg

Owl Room just in case:

In the Owl room, there are two doors. To access one you have to position yourself in front of door then rotate the world twice so you are hidden and press up to enter (and presumably the owl isn't looking at you).

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By golguin

@TruthTellah said:

@golguin said:

@TruthTellah said:

hm. I'm not sure. I think it should be white, but I don't remember. The owl room is the one where a ton of people found their last bit after sitting at 31 and 7/8 for a while.

Owl Room just in case:

In the Owl room, there are two doors. To access one you have to position yourself in front of door then rotate the world twice so you are hidden and press up to enter (and presumably the owl isn't looking at you).

That area in the picture has two doors. One leads to the warp area and when rotated the other area has a giant owl statue with a rotating head. Both those areas are gold on the map.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By TruthTellah

@golguin: Okay, then read that spoiler text. I'm not sure if it still shows gold, but just to make absolutely sure, doublecheck it. It's very commonly the last bit. Could be elsewhere, maybe in a chest in that gameboy area, but I doubt you missed that. This owl one is missed a lot.

If that's not it, then I'm not sure. Your map really should indicate in the corner if any rooms still have bits.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By golguin

@golguin said:

@TruthTellah said:

@golguin said:

@TruthTellah said:

Owl Room just in case:

That area in the picture has two doors. One leads to the warp area and when rotated the other area has a giant owl statue with a rotating head. Both those areas are gold on the map.

HOLY CRAP! The last bit was in the secret room through the bookshelf that lead to ANOTHER room with the book artifact. I suddenly unlocked all of the achievements.

Note that the bookshelf was bullshit. I saw the picture indicated a secret door behind the thing and I didn't know how to make it appear. I swear to god I pressed every button on the pad next to it and nothing. I broke down and looked at a youtube video. You don't press the button. YOU HOLD THE BUTTON TO PUSH THE STUPID THING. I should go to the final door now.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By TruthTellah

@golguin: Ultimately, if you're stumped on finding the last bit(I'd still give it more time, as a -lot- of people were missing one bit at the end and it was just one they had missed), then just get the 33rd anticube as explained in one of my Spoiler Tags. That will allow you to have 64 cubes and complete the game. I'd only do that as a last resort though.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By TruthTellah

@golguin: haha. Glad you got that last bit. A lot of people missed that, too. I forgot that it was "hold x".

Yeah, go to the last room and then complete the game. :)

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By golguin

@TruthTellah said:

@golguin: haha. Glad you got that last bit. A lot of people missed that, too. I forgot that it was "hold x".

Actually, do I go to the final door first or to space? The space one got all screwed up because I didn't have them all. What would happen now? Eh fuck it, im going to the final door.

EDIT: What a let down. The heart is missing a piece so no ending for me? I guess I'll have to go to the room with the writing on the ground that goes with the torn map. That is the "black monolith" room correct?

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By TruthTellah

@golguin said:

@TruthTellah said:

Actually, do I go to the final door first or to space? The space one got all screwed up because I didn't have them all. What would happen now? Eh fuck it, im going to the final door.

Go to the final door. Then space.

The final door is simply an easter egg pat on the back for your hardwork completing the game and all its secrets.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By golguin

@TruthTellah said:

@golguin said:

@TruthTellah said:

The final door is simply an easter egg pat on the back for your hardwork completing the game and all its secrets.

Now the final thing is to get that last heart piece right? Is that room the thing I heard called the "black monolith" with the writing on the ground? Is that the thing that was brute forced by everyone playing when the game just came out? I haven't gotten the tetris line thing on the torn map to work in that room, but I know the number symbols on the ground have something to do with why its not working properly.

EDIT: Or maybe I need to buy some 3d glasses because the world is all red/blue 3d now.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By TruthTellah

@golguin said:

@TruthTellah said:

@golguin said:

@TruthTellah said:

Now the final thing is to get that last heart piece right? Is that room the thing I heard called the "black monolith" with the writing on the ground? Is that the thing that was brute forced by everyone playing when the game just came out? I haven't gotten the tetris line thing on the torn map to work in that room, but I know the number symbols on the ground have something to do with why its not working properly.

Okay, the final room showed only 2 heart pieces in the heart, right? Then yeah, the Monolith is what's left.

After the water has been lowered, you can go to the Monolith room under the first warp zone. It looks like an empty room until you look in first person and see the Polytron logo. Once you're in that room, stand in the eye of the Polytron logo and input the code you found on the back of the treasure map. Once you see the Monolith, just look up what code you need to put in.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By TruthTellah

@golguin: haha. You beat the game again and received the 3D glasses? Yeah, you can go into settings and turn that off if you like. It's just a cool feature and indicates you've beat the game. :)

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By golguin

@TruthTellah said:

@golguin: haha. You beat the game again and received the 3D glasses? Yeah, you can go into settings and turn that off if you like. It's just a cool feature and indicates you've beat the game. :)

Here's a question for you. How do I beat the game without fully understanding the number system? 0 and 9 weren't used for anything as far as I know. I had also heard talk to morse code and binary numbers, but the blinking red light that I thought applied to it was simply RT and LT based on the position of the blinking lights.

Also, the whole vertical numbers listed next to the flat dice in the classroom. What was up with all of those. They had initially confused the hell out of me about properly oriented the numbers since they were going every which way. Also, what was the purpose of the dice numbers laid out in a straight line? I don't even know the values of some of those since they are rotated differently from the values I do know.

I still don't understand the numbers and I have everything. How is that possible?

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By TruthTellah

@golguin said:

@TruthTellah said:

Here's a question for you. How do I beat the game without fully understanding the number system? 0 and 9 weren't used for anything as far as I know. I had also heard talk to morse code and binary numbers, but the blinking red light that I thought applied to it was simply RT and LT based on the position of the blinking lights.

Also, the whole vertical numbers listed next to the flat dice in the classroom. What was up with all of those. They had initially confused the hell out of me about properly oriented the numbers since they were going every which way. Also, what was the purpose of the dice numbers laid out in a straight line? I don't even know the values of some of those since they are rotated differently from the values I do know.

I still don't understand the numbers and I have everything. How is that possible?

The numbers and alphabet are just a part of the world. Figuring out the alphabet was necessary for the Metatron puzzle and understanding what the Cube, the pillars, the People, and the Monolith say. The numbers were useful for the Boiler Room, the Bell, and better understanding the numbers throughout the world.

Fez is a game full of significance in noise. And eventually, it's about finding what is there because it's there. It's a developer's personal commentary on what videogames are and what he enjoys about games.

It has its own nods to all kinds of things, and often, it just has things to have them. You figured out the alphabet thanks to an understanding of past keyboard exercises, and while the numbers do serve a few puzzles, their primary purpose is in being the numbers of this fictional world. I can explain the number system and how it makes sense if you'd like; as I said, it's what's inside that counts and once you had the first 4, you had the rest. The game also succeeded in near forcing community interaction and people taking notes. It is a puzzle box for the sake of being a puzzle box, and you completed it. While playing, there were a few signs which can be translated as "help", and one even speaks poignantly of you as the player in this game: “Trapped in a Fez factory. Please send help.”

There will always be little things in there. People, in their efforts to crack the game's mysteries, also made a lot of connections where there were none(morse code and such), and so, for a while there, a modern mythology swirled around a mysterious game and its own little world. Heck, people are still baffled by the hidden images in the game's soundtrack. The game is full of mystery. It's delightful to get back into it a bit by talking about it here, and I'm glad I could help out in any way I could.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By golguin

@TruthTellah said:

@golguin said:

@TruthTellah said:

The numbers and alphabet are just a part of the world. Figuring out the alphabet was necessary for the Metatron puzzle and understanding what the Cube, the pillars, the People, and the Monolith say. The numbers were useful for the Boiler Room, the Bell, and better understanding the numbers throughout the world.

Fez is a game full of significance in noise. And eventually, it's about finding what is there because it's there. It's a developer's personal commentary on what videogames are and what he enjoys about games.

It has its own nods to all kinds of things, and often, it just has things to have them. You figured out the alphabet thanks to an understanding of past keyboard exercises, and while the numbers do serve a few puzzles, their primary purpose is in being the numbers of this fictional world. I can explain the number system and how it makes sense if you'd like; as I said, it's what's inside that counts and once you had the first 4, you had the rest. The game also succeeded in near forcing community interaction and people taking notes. It is a puzzle box for the sake of being a puzzle box, and you completed it.

There will always be little things in there. People, in their efforts to crack the game's mysteries, also made a lot of connections where there were none(morse code and such), and so, for a while there, a modern mythology swirled around a mysterious game and its own little world. Heck, people are still baffled by the hidden images in the game's soundtrack. The game is full of mystery. It's delightful to get back into it a bit by talking about it here, and I'm glad I could help out in any way I could.

I just saw an explanation of the number system and I COMPLETELY MISSED IT. I think it's amazing that I was still able to cobble up enough of the numbers and prove their value through the various other things in the world. Was the "dimension diagram" truly mean to represent 0-3 as "How many dimensions does this thing have?" as I had initially reasoned? I feel that I lucked out on believing things about the relationships between the numbers and used that to finally crack the boiler room and then applied what I thought was a 1-8 numerical count to the three equations to finally get the little four blocks as number 10.

I've looked at a few things online now and it seems that people believe there was some significance to the numbers written vertically next to the flat dice. All their values would change depending on how your orient that thing.

Speaking of the number dice artifact, was that used to solve anything? Thanks for all the help by the way.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By TruthTellah

@golguin said:

@TruthTellah said:

@golguin said:

@TruthTellah said:

It has its own nods to all kinds of things, and often, it just has things to have them. You figured out the alphabet thanks to an understanding of past keyboard exercises, and while the numbers do serve a few puzzles, their primary purpose is in being the numbers of this fictional world. I can explain the number system and how it makes sense if you'd like; as I said, it's what's inside that counts and once you had the first 4, you had the rest. The game also succeeded in near forcing community interaction and people taking notes. It is a puzzle box for the sake of being a puzzle box, and you completed it.

I just saw an explanation of the number system and I COMPLETELY MISSED IT. I think it's amazing that I was still able to cobble up enough of the numbers and prove their value through the various other things in the world. Was the "dimension diagram" truly mean to represent 0-3 as "How many dimensions does this thing have?" as I had initially reasoned? I feel that I lucked out on believing things about the relationships between the numbers and used that to finally crack the boiler room and then applied what I thought was a 1-8 numerical count to the three equations to finally get the little four blocks as number 10.

I've looked at a few things online now and it seems that people believe there was some significance to the numbers written vertically next to the flat dice. All their values would change depending on how your orient that thing.

Speaking of the number dice artifact, was that used to solve anything? Thanks for all the help by the way.

Yeah, this image visually explains the number system quite well:

0, 1, 2, and 3 come from the graph of dimensions, as you eventually determined. A point is 0 dimensions, a line is one dimension, a square is two dimensions, and a cube is three dimensions. The game also introduced the element of a fourth dimension, time, represented by the clocks in the world(and the clock puzzle). The 4 is thus the last component in making their number system.

Using 1-4, you can add them up to make each subsequent number. 4+1 = 5. 4+2 = 6. 4+3 = 7. 4+1+3 = 8. 4+2+3 = 9. 1+2+3+4 = 10.

In the classroom, you see the three equations equaling to 10(like a common basic math exercise), which helped me check my conclusion. Thus, you see 1+2+7=10, 2+3+5=10, and 1+4+5=10. Once you had 0-4, it was just a matter of time to get the rest.

Some of the number equations in the game are probably just little nods to gaming's history. Like one adding to 64, like 64 bit. Just obscure things that are kind of fun.

Each of the artifacts are just that. Artifacts. They expand upon the story of the world. The Number Cube and Writing Cube are what they would use to stamp their written language. Rotated around, the Number Cube can make all 10 numbers and the Writing Cube can stamp all 24 letters. The Tome is a book of their writing, but it translates as gibberish. And the Skull hints at the fact that a long time ago the alien squids gave knowledge of 3D to the Fez population, allowing them to build civilization. Generations later, the population has forgotten them and completely abandoned their original language and understanding of there being a third dimension. The "modern" population that Gomez is a part of is represented by an eye-patched old man wearing a fez like Gomez receives. Without an eye, he no longer has depth perception. Just like the population, somewhere along the way, he lost his ability to see 3D despite having once received the power to do so.

Anyway, glad to help out. It's cool that you came back and completed it. We all worked together when it first came out, and I think it's great that people are still trying to peck away at it. I've quite enjoyed my time with the game, and discussions like this are in many ways a big part of that overall experience. :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.