Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XI Online

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released May 16, 2002

Players from across the globe enter the world of Vana'diel for a Final Fantasy adventure in the series' first foray into the MMORPG genre.

Is it really hard to get into this, really late in its life?

m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By m1k3

On Steam they are selling the FFXI:Ultimate Collection for $20 right now, and im thinking about getting it. My sole reason is so i can basically train myself to what i should expect in FF:XIV (i am gonna pick it up no matter what), since i think they said some of the mechanics are the same, and the races and story are about the same, or continuation. Im just wonder if it is really just too late to start off from scratch w/ this game.

m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By m1k3

bump, need some input from current and ex-players, please :)

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Evilsbane

I played it for a month and after I realized i was going to be forced into grouping 99.99% of the time I ran far far away.

Being killed by a bunny after the game says "This target is extremely easy for you" irked me in a way that no other game has manged since.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By jeffgoldblum
    @m1k3: I just cant think of any reason you would want to get into it in the first place.
    You should just place a proper Final Fantasy game. I just picked up FFIV for the DS for $15 and it's great.
    DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By DanielJW

As someone who tried to jump in to it not too many months ago, I couldn't stand it. I found the graphics to literally be an eye sore, and a lot of the menus and movement and everything about the game just seemed clunky. 

The interface and actions problems could have just stemmed from me being new, but I found it nigh impenetrable and ended up quitting rather swiftly. 

Dekkarra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Dekkarra

As someone who has been playing for almost 7 years, I can almost assure you that, at least from what has been seen so far, not too much from XI will be carried over to XIV in terms of the battle command system.  Where XI is very heavily menu based (due to being designed for someone using a PS2 controller), XIV appears to use the, now MMO standard, "hotkeys". This could change by the time it's in beta or official release, but I doubt they'll change it, as it's something most MMO players are used to.

And also, yeah the game does look quite dated, but you really shouldn't expect much eye candy for an MMO released in 2002 for the PlayStation 2.  It does still have 500,000 active subs, but I think most people think we're nuts still playing it. But hey, I enjoy the stories found within the game and still am playing with many friends, so I don't have an issue with it.

Roundtree_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Roundtree_X
    @Dekkarra said:

"As someone who has been playing for almost 7 years, I can almost assure you that, at least from what has been seen so far, not too much from XI will be carried over to XIV in terms of the battle command system.  Where XI is very heavily menu based (due to being designed for someone using a PS2 controller), XIV appears to use the, now MMO standard, "hotkeys". This could change by the time it's in beta or official release, but I doubt they'll change it, as it's something most MMO players are used to.

And also, yeah the game does look quite dated, but you really shouldn't expect much eye candy for an MMO released in 2002 for the PlayStation 2.  It does still have 500,000 active subs, but I think most people think we're nuts still playing it. But hey, I enjoy the stories found within the game and still am playing with many friends, so I don't have an issue with it.
    "

I agree, like him I've been on FF XI for 7 years now, and from the time it came out to now they "fixed" a lot of things "wrong" with the game, so you may like it. But outside the "feel" and races of the game, FF XIV may not have a lot in common with FF XI....still jumping on it day one tho :)
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By JJOR64

Go with WoW if you want a good MMO.

Dekkarra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Dekkarra
    @JJOR64 said:
    " Go with WoW if you want a good MMO. "
    FFXI is a good MMO, it just requires a whole lot of commitment, and an ability to work together with people on just about anything, but it rewards you for it quite nicely.

But to the OP, if you want the honest opinion, I think it's pretty late in FFXI's life cycle to try starting fresh, unless you join up with a group of friends. But even then, you'd still have quite a mountain to climb.

No matter the choice though, hope to see you in XIV.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By JJOR64
    @Dekkarra: Do get me wrong, FF11 is good but, the OP might as well play an MMO that's going to continue for a long time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.