Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII-2

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Dec 15, 2011

Final Fantasy XIII-2 is a direct sequel to Final Fantasy XIII released by Square Enix in early 2012.

Final Fantasy XIII-2 Gets a Release Date: January

• 112 results
    sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#101  Edited By sickVisionz
    @Outerface said:

They should just remake FF12 with new assets and everything, call it "The Best Final Fantasy Game Ever" and then stop making FF games.

The last Final Fantasy game should just be called "The Final Fantasy".
    Avatar image for runeseekermireille
    RuneseekerMireille

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

This is a whole lot sooner than I expected, but I'm willing to give them a shot, so long as they fix the things that were not great about XII (Linearity, Plot, Characters, Antagonists, etc.)

knightlyknave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By knightlyknave

I got burned so badly on FFXII that I never played FFXIII when I heard that the characters were vapid and the plot was lame. I don't mind linearity at all but bad plot in an rpg and characters I don't like are an instant kill.

They just need to remake FFVII and be done with the whole series.

Dookysharpgun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#104  Edited By Dookysharpgun
    @Addfwyn: I hate having to remind people about this, but fastest selling doesn't mean best game ever. People had to buy it in order to play it, and many, many people disliked the game, viewing it as the worst of the series, and that includes 14 because it was barely a game in itself, sales figures don't mean anything if you've burned a bridge to a lot of long time fans, just to make a little cash. Games sites have given it high scores, only to create articles that outline everything and anything that was actually wrong with the game, completely overriding their initial reviews, and the only reason the game was given such high scores was the FF name attached to the game. The only website I found that gave the game a 3/10, Destructoid, were told in no uncertain manner that they wouldn't get another game from Square to review. Doesn't that just say a lot about the company as a whole? I mean, if the game sold so well, if it was so epic and amazing, one little review site shouldn't mean anything, right? Only it was right. 

X-2 was burned badly by fans, and was actually the most resented game that square ever created in the FF series, very few people will stick up for this game, and even long time hardcore fans have denounced it as a piece of crap. What it tried to do was noble, but trying was only half the battle really. I'm actually saying that XIII-2 is one of the worst ideas they ever could have had. XIII in itself was a terrible game, wracked with story issues, character issues and a metric fuckload of linear hallways. Taken on those merits alone, the game should have critically bombed. What I'm saying is: FF XIII-2 will be an abomination, a sequel to a game nobody wanted. It will bomb, because the majority of people have seen the light: that FF XIII was a vapid, uninspired, pointless game, that was far to long for the small amount of content in it. This was admitted by the dev team. Also, XIII-2 will have all the extra crap that was supposed to go into XIII, so it too will be too long for the content its pushing. XIII was cranked out while they were busy with other projects, all of which failed miserably. They haven't even started proper production of  Vs.XIII which shows a lot more promise than XIII-2. 

I'm sorry, but this game was an insult, something square cranked out to see if they could get away with the bare minimum, and they succeeded. People had to buy the game to play it, but it dropped in price within 2 months, not because it sold so well, but because it wasn't worth the money people paid for it. If anything, it was half a game, and the other half will be XIII-2. If you liked it, fine, but you have to acknowledge the glaring faults the game has, and what faults will carry over to XIII-2, which will cause this game to bomb critically. Square admitted that they were trying to fix the issues with the game, but even then, all I see from screens of XIII-2 is another bunch of linear corridors. Having slight curves in the path doesn't change that.
    Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#105  Edited By Addfwyn

@Dookysharpgun: It wouldn't be the third or fourth best selling FF game if it wasn't well liked. Of course, I agree sales figures mean nothing for the quality of the game, and everyone is going to have different opinions on the game. I'm not going to argue with you as to whether it was a good game or not, as that IS purely a matter of opinion, and I'm not going to try to convince you your opinion is wrong as to whether it is a good game, if you don't like it, you don't like it and that's fine. Personally, I loved XIII, and I quite enjoyed X-2, whereas I hated IX and XII which seem to be more popular in the US. However, some people may not like it for the same reasons I do, and that's fine. Most people and critics here actually received them VERY positively, XIII was considered one of the best games of the year, and i believe it was considered the best RPG for the year, though again that's here in Japan. Maybe in your country it was well-less received, but on a worldwide scale it should be a success.

The part I am debating is the success rate. X-2 did quite well, and so did the games after it, including XIII (in fact, sales of the series generally went up here after it). They were generally very very positively received, particularly here in Japan. Which is why I have no doubts that XIII-2 WILL be a success, particularly if it can address some of the flaws that XIII had. Given that both games were well received commercial and critical successes, I see no reason to see why this won't be the case again. Of course, I'm not saying that you personally will like the game, you probably won't, but to say it will fail miserably seems to be personal opinion clouding your judgement.

@knightlyknave: I really didn't like XII either, but I quite enjoyed XIII, so it may be worth a shot. The characters actually seem to make sense for the plot, whereas in XII I could never figure out why any of the characters in XII except Ashe were even there.

thermopyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By thermopyle

Since Toriyama is still the one writing for this, it's an automatic fail.  I can't believe that hack is still being commissioned to write for any game when he's shown that he just plain sucks at character interactions and story progression. 

If I ever do play this sequel that no one really asked for, it'll be when it's in the bargain bin (or I'll just borrow it from someone).   There are way too many games in the weeks/months before January that will keep me busy.  It's sad really. I remember the days when I would get excited that a new FF game would be coming out. Even when I hear news about Versus, I'm very ho hum about it.  Oh well, there's always the memories (of the good ones anyways).

RichMeisterMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By RichMeisterMan

Final Fantasy XIII gives me so many reasons, linear, horrible annoying characters, typical convoluted story (from what I picked up on in the short bit I did play it).  I think Versus looks intriguing from the small bit we saw of it a long time ago.  The most awesome part about all this Final Fantasy XIII hullabaloo though is that the team that would be making the next Kingdom Hearts game is wrapped up in these games (I think mostly Versus).

stefb42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By stefb42

i'm so  excited about this release,loved ff13 battle system even if the game was somewhat linear,some screenshots i've seen for this one seem to have a town or village of some sort so hopefully this one wont be so linear

Dookysharpgun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By Dookysharpgun
    @Addfwyn: Well what you're saying makes a lot more sense now, in Japan, FF games were always well received, and I understand what you're saying.

However, I have to say that despite how well received it may have been at the time, it's been over a year, and I've seen people's opinions of FF XIII change quite drastically. However well it did critically, was influenced by hype and the sheen of a next gen FF game. XIII-2 won't have that advantage, and seeing as its basically half a game, same as XIII, I have my doubts that it will do as well as XIII. Everything is influenced by personal opinion, and FF games are no exception. I think this game will flop outside of Japan, where the fan base is probably the highest, as people have begun to see XIII for its flaws, which unfortunately, vastly outweigh its positive elements. That being said, I'd like for XIII-2 to be a good game, but given Square's inability to work competently on recent titles, I have a gut feeling that it won't sell well outside of Japan. Again, I love FF and want the games to be good, but 65+ hours of XIII taught me that releasing an unfinished, linear game, then releasing another game just under two years later, full-price, to what should have been DLC content at least, is a catastrophic decision. X-2 had X's combat system, which was awesome, but the game was disliked heavily in Europe and the U.S, despite sales figures. I would rather have a new FF than an extension on XIII, and I think many people have the same mentality.
    Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#110  Edited By Addfwyn

@Dookysharpgun: I'd probably like a new FF over a sequel as well, but I'm also willing to go into XIII-2 pretty optimistically, though perhaps that is because I rather like XIII and X-2, and a lot of people around me did as well. Of course, I think everyone wants it to be a good game, I don't think anyone out there really hopes bad games get released, unless they enjoy bad mock reviews. I still think it will probably do commercially pretty well, and at least here it will do critically well. You may be right in the response it gets from the vocal fan base in other countries, but I suspect for the time being it will still probably sell pretty well. I have no idea if the game will actually be good or not of course, I won't get a chance to play it for a while, but I remain pretty optimistic that it will. The biggest problem I had with XIII was the atrociously slow pacing towards the beginning of the game, and since this is a direct sequel expanding on the world (and presumably the battle system) they may have to do a lot less of the painfully slow tutorializing.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#111  Edited By toowalrus

I fuckin' loved XIII, but the trailers aren't exactly drawing me in... I would have played a Sazh centered game, happily!

Dookysharpgun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Dookysharpgun
    @Addfwyn: I getcha, I know that I'm letting my justified and totally rational hatred for XIII get the better of me, and I'm just hoping that if they could address XIII-2 in s semi-decent matter, but I secretly want Square to be burned just a little bit, so maybe they can get back to basics and make the FF games that had all that magic in them. I mean the world of XIII looked really interesting, but we never got to explore it, and I loved Fang and Sazh, but they never really had a chance to expand as characters. 
    Well as long as they cut down the hours of tutorials we had to partake in during the first 20+ hours of XIII, they're on the right track. I really want to be optimistic, and from what you're saying, you may have actually alleviated some of my nagging doubts about the game, since you said they'd be expanding on the world. Well if its the first big game of 2012, its really a make or break kind of scenario, so time will tell. Whatever the outcome, I'm hoping that we get a chance to debate the game, because you know what you're talking about.
    MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#113  Edited By MeatSim

The characters are still awful so I still don't want to play it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.