Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

According to critics, this game is worse than FFX-2

• 98 results
    Magresda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Magresda
    FFXIII Metacritic page 

FFX-2 Metacritic page 

If you ignore the thread's admittedly stupid title for a second - what do you think? Is there something to it, or is it just a testament to the flawed nature of metacritic? Can you even compare the two? 

Do you think X-2 was/is a better game than XIII?
    august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By august

More of this crap. Yay.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

It's cool to hate on FF13 the same way it was cool to give MW2 an amazing score even though it's just COD 4 1.5.

webby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By webby

I would say an 8.2 for FF13 but I hated X-2 I would give it less than 8.5 probably around 7.5 

Edit: Not really HATED but disliked

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By MysteriousBob
    @Bucketdeth said:
    " It's cool to hate on FF13 the same way it was cool to give MW2 an amazing score even though it's just COD 4 1.5. "
    Cute, but everyone knows that all the cool kids bitched about MW2 when it in fact deserved the scores it got.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By Jeust

Well you can say that, since each have 45 reviews and all, but it's too subjective. 

Still it is a legacy after his own vision for the director of both FF games.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By turboman

is it a crime to like FFX-2? 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MysteriousBob said:
    " @Bucketdeth said:
    " It's cool to hate on FF13 the same way it was cool to give MW2 an amazing score even though it's just COD 4 1.5. "
    Cute, but everyone knows that all the cool kids bitched about MW2 when it in fact deserved the scores it got. "
    So it's a fact that MW2 deserved those scores? Well I disagree as I found MW2 as boring as COD 4, I guess I could say this is fact just like you had.
    Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By Cornman89

Please. Please don't do this...

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By Meowayne

I have not played X-2, but so far XIII is very much like I fear X-2 is. 

XIII is certainly not a great game.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By vitor

FFX-2 was released how many years ago? Standards change along with the times - it's impossible to compare the two and how good they were comparatively to the games out at the time because so much has changed and I'd wager that standards are actually higher now than they were back then.

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By HaltIamReptar

What?  Either this is a copy-cat of the other asshole, or the same asshole.  Either way, you're an asshole.

Magresda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Magresda
    @Vitor said:
    " FFX-2 was released how many years ago? Standards change along with the times - it's impossible to compare the two and how good they were comparatively to the games out at the time because so much has changed and I'd wager that standards are actually higher now than they were back then. "
    But the point is that people do compare these games across generations and even decades. That's why I'm bringing this up. People are always going "Oh, it's good, but it can't touch *favorite FF game*", or the even worse "This sucks, the series was ruined after *favorite FF game*"
    CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By CornontheCobbe

I Loved 13. 

And FFX-2 was pretty good, but this XIII Seems promising so far. No complaints, except for the amount of times pressing A :P

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15  Edited By Addfwyn

Probably because there are a couple reviews in there that gave it ridiculously low scores for publicity, which obviously is going to lower the average. 

I never liked metacritics much anyway, I take question with any site that assigns score-less reviews with a score.  All reviews should really be scoreless, in my opinion.  Make people actually read.

Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Cornman89
    @Magresda: Yes, dudes of forums do that all the time. But did the critics do that? Did anyone, in a professional review that you have read, say that "by both the standards and trends of today's gaming industry, and where my personal preferences currently stand, FFX-2 is a better game than FFXIII"?
    Magresda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Magresda
    @Cornman89 said: 

@Magresda: Yes, dudes of forums do that all the time. But did the critics do that? Did anyone, in a professional review that you have read, say that "by both the standards of today's gaming industry and where my personal preferences currently stand, FFX-2 is a better game than FFXIII"? "

Not the point - the point is that consumers are comparing them like that. I think it's interesting how scores from seven years ago translates into scores today, and how that stands in comparison the general public opinion.  Yes, I picked a stupid title.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#18  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @Bucketdeth said:
    You do realize the inherent hypocrisy of this post, right? Whenever there is a topic about MW2 on these forums there will always be a bunch of people who feel the need to bash it, much like what people are starting to do for FFXIII for the exact same reasons (i.e. It's popular). You are free to not like MW2, but other people are also free to not like FFXIII. 

In any case, everything I have heard about X-2 sounds... bad. I'm sure that XIII is the better game, whatever that really means, I don't care. Reviews are only effective when taken in the immediate context of a game's release.
    Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By Alexander
    @Bucketdeth said:
    " @MysteriousBob said:
    " @Bucketdeth said:
    Cute, but everyone knows that all the cool kids bitched about MW2 when it in fact deserved the scores it got. "
    So it's a fact that MW2 deserved those scores? Well I disagree as I found MW2 as boring as COD 4, I guess I could say this is fact just like you had. "
    You're so cool.
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#20  Edited By LordAndrew

Another person comparing games based solely on composite review scores? Get out of here.

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By Ace829

Can we not use metacritic as the one all be all for the quality of games? Shouldn't your opinion matter too? Not solely the opinion of random journalists/bloggers?

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#22  Edited By rjayb89

I liked X-2.  Enough crazy for me to enjoy.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#23  Edited By LordAndrew
    @Ace829 said:

" Can we not use metacritic as the one all be all for the quality of games? Shouldn't your opinion matter too? Not solely the opinion of random journalists/bloggers? "

Not even that. It's just a number! There's no actual meaning to that number because it's a composite of multiple review scores, which people shouldn't be relying on anyway.
    Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Whisperkill
    @Bucketdeth said:
    " @MysteriousBob said:
    " @Bucketdeth said:
    So it's a fact that MW2 deserved those scores? Well I disagree as I found MW2 as boring as COD 4, I guess I could say this is fact just like you had. "
    If you hated both Modern Warfares then you just probably have bad tastes, nobody to blame but yourself
    Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By Demyx

Its metacritic....And some people did kinda like X-2. I personally didn't play enough of either to have an opinion.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By Gabriel

Final Fantasy hate train is now in full motion, wheter it is a better game or not it's gonna get hated on.

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Steve_C

X-2 is pretty good actually.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MikkaQ

X-2 and Final Fantasy 13 have the very same lead director on the project, so a comparison is apt.  

Also not a fan of his work, and consider those two (along with 11, and the japanese 2) to be the worst ones of the series. I guess I just don't like his ideas of what final fantasy should be.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Alexander said:
    " @Bucketdeth said:
    " @MysteriousBob said:
    " @Bucketdeth said:
    You're so cool. "
    Thanks man, I'm glad you think so :)
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#31  Edited By Icemael
    @Bucketdeth said:
    It was cool to hate on MW2 the same way it's cool to defend Final Fantasy XIII even though it has tons of shortcomings. 

See what I did there? See how I took your bullshit statement and turned it into an almost identical bullshit statement, only now it works against you? Yeah.
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ch13696

This is better than X-2 and I like X-2. But it's also better than XII. Also it's not better than X.

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Mmmslash

FF X-2 was a very good game. It was very open, had a fantastic job/battle-system, and a ton of side-content.

I get the impression that almost everyone who bags on th game never even played it. Yes, it's cutesy, and has all of the YRP girl power, but that doesn't make it a bad game, just different.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By meteora

Metacritic should never be used to judge a game. Ever.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#35  Edited By natetodamax

According to natetodamax, I couldn't possibly care less what the critics say.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By august

People don't like a game I like as much as they should.

Quick.

To the internet.

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#37  Edited By Addfwyn
    @Mmmslash:  

Very true, it wasn't a super epic story or anything, but it was a downright FUN game, and really that's what matters.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Bucketdeth said:

More like MW2 is COD 4 minus lean, minus 8 hrs of campaign, minus arcade mode, minus dedicated servers, minus 14 players on PC in MP, plus added features which don't actually improve on the original much if at all.

@Vitor said:
    " FFX-2 was released how many years ago? Standards change along with the times - it's impossible to compare the two and how good they were comparatively to the games out at the time because so much has changed and I'd wager that standards are actually higher now than they were back then. "

And I'd wager that in the PS2's far more competitive RPG market standards were higher.  It's not impossible to compare the two at all.  That's like saying that Stars Wars Episode 4 and Star Wars Episode 1 can't be compared because technologically Episode 1 is a lot more complex.  Episode 4 is a much more effectively told tale and both are from the same universe with many of the same concepts at play.
    RainVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#39  Edited By RainVillain

Mechanically those two games are pretty similar, being the same director and all. For the longest I was able to say FFX-2 had the best battle system in the series.. not anymore!

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

#40  Edited By MormonWarrior

Well, I could say I have about as much interest in playing X-2 as I do playing XIII. Which is none.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Whisperkill said:
    " @Bucketdeth said:
    " @MysteriousBob said:
    " @Bucketdeth said:
    If you hated both Modern Warfares then you just probably have bad tastes, nobody to blame but yourself "
    If you watch your shitty anime (which is all anime) I think you have a horrible taste in tv and should be executed on spot.

@Icemael said:
    " @Bucketdeth said:
    It was cool to hate on MW2 the same way it's cool to defend Final Fantasy XIII even though it has tons of shortcomings.  See what I did there? See how I took your bullshit statement and turned it into an almost identical bullshit statement, only now it works against you? Yeah. "

Theres one thing that pisses me off on the internet and it's cocky shit heads who think there fucking cool sitting behind there screen knowing that there are 0 consequences.

That would be you.
    Fbomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Fbomb

Fuck off. No reviewer rates a game versus older titles. It's rated against its own merits and current standard for a game in its genre, on its given platform. So, to quote myself from earlier, fuck off.

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Whisperkill
    @Bucketdeth: Alright buddy, the gloves are off then 

*Clears throat* 

Buckethead is overrated
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#44  Edited By Icemael
    @Bucketdeth said:
    "@Icemael said:
    " @Bucketdeth said:
    It was cool to hate on MW2 the same way it's cool to defend Final Fantasy XIII even though it has tons of shortcomings.  See what I did there? See how I took your bullshit statement and turned it into an almost identical bullshit statement, only now it works against you? Yeah. "
    Theres one thing that pisses me off on the internet and it's cocky shit heads who think there fucking cool sitting behind there screen knowing that there are 0 consequences.   That would be you. "
    Lolirony.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Whisperkill said:
    " @Bucketdeth: Alright buddy, the gloves are off then  *Clears throat*  Buckethead is overrated "
    Agreed.
    Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46  Edited By Rowr

The op is valid?

Why are you all being such assholes about this. 

The question was simply 

DO YOU THINK X-2 IS A BETTER GAME THAN XIII?

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Whisperkill
    @Bucketdeth said:
    " @Whisperkill said:
    " @Bucketdeth: Alright buddy, the gloves are off then  *Clears throat*  Buckethead is overrated "
    Agreed. "
    Wait what.....? 

*head explodes*

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Icemael said:
    " @Bucketdeth said:
    "@Icemael said:
    " @Bucketdeth said:
    Theres one thing that pisses me off on the internet and it's cocky shit heads who think there fucking cool sitting behind there screen knowing that there are 0 consequences.   That would be you. "
    Lolirony. "
    I'm in Labrador Canada, come visit me so I can shove my foot up your ass.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By CL60

Yay for topics like these..

Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#50  Edited By Belonpopo

Someone hasn't figures out that Metacritic is really dumb.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.