Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

Gearing up for Xlll-2, should I give this a second chance?

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Solh0und

I just checked this out of the library in my area because I was in the mood for a RPG. So I played a bit of it at a friend's house when it first came out and was a bit disappointed.

Seeing that I only played a few hours of it before, should I give it another go?

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2  Edited By ZenaxPure

Depends what you didn't like about it really, if you weren't a fan of a the characters/story then playing a 40 hour game based on that probably isn't a good idea. If you didn't like the combat then once again it's probably not a good idea to go back to it as the combat was the central focus of the game. Though really I'd argue if you didn't like XIII there is probably a good chance you won't like XIII-2 when it comes out.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

It's...alright.

Nothing special, but the combat system is above average if you learn it - you don't feel like your sloshing your way through encounters if you have a firm grasp of the system.

The characters, however, are a pile of shit. Vanille, Hope, Snow, and Lightning are all giant doofuses that angst each other into the ground, Sazh is a character drenched in bathos, and Fang is kind of stupid as a character concept - she's almost a mcguffin from what I played in the game. The over-arching storyline is alright but kind of dumb, and there isn't any exploration to enhance the world.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By natetodamax

In my opinion the story is fun to watch play out but the actual game doesn't become fun to play until the last 2 or 3 chapters.

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Solh0und

@Zenaxzd said:

Depends what you didn't like about it really, if you weren't a fan of a the characters/story then playing a 40 hour game based on that probably isn't a good idea. If you didn't like the combat then once again it's probably not a good idea to go back to it as the combat was the central focus of the game. Though really I'd argue if you didn't like XIII there is probably a good chance you won't like XIII-2 when it comes out.

It wasn't about the characters I disliked, t just felt really underwhelming to me at the time. With that said, I didn't like X compared to X-2(Maybe it was Tidus that drained my spirit of liking that game). It was either that or I felt that I was getting my hand held the entire hour. I'm aware that alot of folks feel like a big piece of the game was like that though.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @Solh0und: I'm just asking what felt underwhelming exactly? Mostly because I doubt if you didn't enjoy stuff on your first attempt you would enjoy it a second time through.
    Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By Video_Game_King

YES! *growls horribly*

Packie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Packie

FF13 is a very weird game to me.

I'd definitely recommend it for its unique take on RPG combat. But if you're expecting an epic story with interesting, well-fleshed out characters, don't bother.

Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Solh0und

@Zenaxzd said:

@Solh0und: I'm just asking what felt underwhelming exactly? Mostly because I doubt if you didn't enjoy stuff on your first attempt you would enjoy it a second time through.

I think it was mostly the fact that I really pumped for it before it was released. Maybe I just need to sit down and fully enjoy it at home compared to the little time I played of it at a friend's house.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

I think FF13 is a great game. It should have presented it's story better instead of forcing players to read a codex to understand it. The setting is actually kinda interesting but the plot never capitalizes on that. A break from the constant combat pace a little more often would of been welcome as well.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @Solh0und: I see, perhaps then you should give it another go. As much as I love the shit out of FF13 I will be the first to say that the start of it is very slow. Also playing RPGs "at a friends house" seems like a poor idea in general. Honestly any good RPG that is going to take hours and hours to complete is the kind of game that you have to be at home alone on a weekend or holiday ready to sacrifice a large chunk of your life to bask in everything about it.  

So yeah, if your problem was playing it at a friend's house then you should give it a go at home on your own time and pace.
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By NTM

So you want Final Fantasy 13-2, but you don't know if you want to beat the first 13? That's dumb. Of course you should beat it if you're going to play thirteen-two.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By nintendoeats

For a brief second I thought that somebody had announced a sequel to XIII. I'll just keep hoping I guess.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By AuthenticM

Yes

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Flappy

It's not the best FF title ever created, but it's not the worst, either. Despite putting 65 hours into the game and finishing it, I can hardly recall the story so take that as you will. In a slightly more positive light, the game is pretty and some of the tunes are quite nice (The battle theme, for example). If you're capable of dealing with a rather uneventful story for a couple dozen hours and spending some time grinding out points to level up, then go for it.

CottonWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CottonWolf

@NTM: You say that, but from what I gather, they're designing XIII-2 to be understandable even if you've not played XIII. Whether that'll work, seeing how well they managed to get XIII's story across the first time, remains to be seen.

Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
    deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Everything about this game sucks but its still fun, I don't really understand.

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By sopranosfan

I thought it was pretty good. I don't know if they will ever be as good as they were around IX or X which to me is the best ones.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#19  Edited By Commisar123

I'm actually in the same process as you are. I'm enjoying the game so far, but it hasn't convinced me to buy the next one. I have no idea why I'm playing it instead of doing school work.

Vincent92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Vincent92

@Solh0und: in the end you sorta have to play the game to undersatnd the story of the new one coming out, if you don't like the it then rent the game and paly it foor a while( to be honest i didn't really get into it till the 3rd the disc) if you don't then just read up on the game and watch youtube vids till the sequal comes out.

nobel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By nobel

@Zenaxzd said:

This, pretty much.

I sat down and finished FFXIII despite not really being hooked from the start, and by the end i was very disappointed. It seems to me the developers want to tell a different kind of story then they used to with these games.

So yeah, if you did not like the theme, setting and story of FFXIII my hunch is you should pass on this one.

RoyCampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By RoyCampbell

Its soundtrack is fantastic and I adore the art style and the world FFXIII is based in. It's a beautiful looking game and I still listen to its soundtrack.

I couldn't finish the game. It's not really good in that area, along with the story and melodramatic characters.

Avatar image for runeseekermireille
    RuneseekerMireille

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The combat system really has a lot of depth to it, but they don't reveal this until the last couple of chapters, and don't elaborate on advanced strategies at all. Read up about how the combat system really works and the system becomes a lot more fun. Here's one: As soon as you get it, you should Paradigm Shift every other turn, because you get an extra turn every time you do so. Building your Paradigm Deck around this strategy trivializes almost every fight in the early game.

Story is still pretty bad, though I would finish it, and get all the pieces of the in-game verses in the codex (can't remember what they're called) so you know what's going on behind the scenes. That stuff is really going to factor into XIII-2.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mutha3

I've heard from people who hated everything about FFXIII expects its battle system that this game makes huge improvements in every department.

Only problem for me is....I...hated the battle system in 13 :/ The lack of linear corridors and the sharp visuals are drawing me in, but I think its just not for me.

plaintomato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By plaintomato

No.

It sucked before, it will still suck. Your better of with X, XII or even X-2...or even going back two gens or more. XIII has the worst gameplay ever of any FF ever ever ever. I hate it not because it wasn't good, there are a lot of not good games out there that I just don't like. I hate it because as an FF fan, it was incredibly disappointing. I would have to hear some very unexpected things about XIII-2 to even consider giving it a chance.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#26  Edited By Humanity

@RuneseekerMireille said:

The combat system really has a lot of depth to it, but they don't reveal this until the last couple of chapters, and don't elaborate on advanced strategies at all. Read up about how the combat system really works and the system becomes a lot more fun. Here's one: As soon as you get it, you should Paradigm Shift every other turn, because you get an extra turn every time you do so. Building your Paradigm Deck around this strategy trivializes almost every fight in the early game.

Story is still pretty bad, though I would finish it, and get all the pieces of the in-game verses in the codex (can't remember what they're called) so you know what's going on behind the scenes. That stuff is really going to factor into XIII-2.

I actually just started playing the game for the first time because I thought XIII-2 looked interesting. I'm only about 10 hours in so thats when most of my party members are at level 2 of their respective classes. I actually tried googling some battle guides but most were just basics and I know all about that stuff.

I did notice that when I switch paradigms often I seem to switch in with full ATB gauges. Is there really more to the system? That would be exciting because so far I seem to kinda get it for what it's worth. The summons are still a little weird for me because when I tried using Lightnings summon in the weird forest area boss it took me forever to stagger him. Since everything is so automated when I had to choose my own Odin attacks I wasn't sure which is better.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated though.

Also I'm enjoying the game for what it's worth - the linearity so far helps it be an easy to pick up game. I'm never lost when I pop it in because hey, heres the path and theres monsters along the way. Only thing I think is a downer is some of those areas go on too long without changing up the decor.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27  Edited By Shadow

I just went back and finished the game in anticipation of the sequel. When you finally get to a point where it lets you make whatever teams you want, the game becomes fantastic. The game has a fascinating story. It's not the most original thing ever, but it definitely keeps you entertained. It helps that the game is also absolutely fucking beautiful. I was satisfied with where they left off, and can see where they can make another adventure from there.

Then I backtracked a bit and started doing missions. I just succeeded in killing what is easily the hardest enemy I've faced so far: A MASSIVE CACTAR! HE'S OVER 50 FEET TALL! THIS GAME IS AWESOME!

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#28  Edited By hollitz

Aside from the graphics, I didn't find any redeeming qualities in FF13. Still buying 13-2 on day one though. In the mood for a good JRPG, maybe this will deliver. If it doesn't maybe I'll just play Tales of Vesperia again.

M_Shini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By M_Shini

If your close to finishing the game sure go for it if your not then mabey not so much, depends how much it bothers you to not having finished it and then playing a sequel, altho the game litarly takes place starting from the final cut scene from the end of XIII so take that for what you will. I dont think its essential since there wasnt really any or many questions that it answers or leaves standing much.

I finished it recently in prep for XIII-2, but granted my save was already 25-30 hours into it already so it was bareable.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.