Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Mar 09, 2010

This entry into the Final Fantasy universe is set in the worlds of Pulse and Cocoon. Players take control of multiple characters who are caught in a war between these worlds.

TOS: Final Fantasy XIII

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Edited By vidiot

Notice: The following S-Rank was a platinum trophy obtained on the Playstation 3 version of Final Fantasy XIII. It is not associated to my official S-Rank list on GiantBomb. Here's hoping that Sony will figure out that people like sharing their trophy information, outside of their own official site. Like every other achievement system in existence. 

Round #2!

It's not that it's difficult to go back writing about Final Fantasy XIII, just uncomfortable.
    It's a great game, but there are so many skewed issues within the game's main design that it's difficult to go back talking about it. There are tons of other JRPG's that have been released this generation, that are dwarfed by the quality of Final Fantasy XIII.

But were not here to talk about the actual game, per-say. No, this is all about the achievements!

So were over half-a-decade into the HD generation, and a Final Fantasy game was finally released to capitalize on the big scary modern gaming machines. It should be noted that this is not the first Final Fantasy to incorporate an achievement system. The previous entry, Final Fantasy XII had an in-game menu that mirrored an achievement system. It wasn't that big of a deal, and there's a good chance that me bringing this up now, will inevitable make you hunt down your copy, in order to make sure I'm not making this up: But it was there. Defeating certain sub-bosses like Yiazmat, netted you a neat little icon in your in-game menu.

(I beat Yiazmat...I'm not...*sigh*...Go look it up...I have no interest in sharing that experience.)

So technically, Final Fantasy XIII was the first real attempt to bring achievements officially into the franchise. When I think back on the franchise, my imagination takes hold and I can see the possibilities. I know I'm not alone, thinking of concepts like getting an achievement for getting the gold chocobo in Final Fantasy VII. Perhaps an achievement for marching through the first Final Fantasy with all mages?

So how does Final Fantasy XIII capitalize on our new-fangeled modern achievement system? Is getting an S-Rank capitalize on something that you can proudly share? Or does it run down a lengthy corridor, and fall flat on it's face?

See what I did there? Get it? Because it's linear. People didn't like that. That it was linear. I used that as a seg-way to the actual article.It was also a joke. Pretty funny huh?
    You can laugh, it's okay.

...Let's move on.

S-Rank Synopsis

Sadly, Final Fantasy XIII's achievements are painfully uninspired.
    When it come's to JRPG's this generation, we truly don't get many lists that seem to advertise some form of established middle-ground, or center. They are usually on opposite ends of the spectrum, either "challenges" that were made by disgruntled medicated employees, or developers that don't really care and just spoon-feed you achievements because they are now required too.

It's gotten better over the years, but it's still depressing to read an achievement list like Final Fantasy XIII's. To be fair, it's probably one of the most balanced achievement lists for JRPG's this generation. That being said, when it comes to the more complicated achievements, the most errigous flaws with Final Fantasy XIII come out in full-force.

Is getting an S-Rank in Final Fantasy XIII worth getting? Let's find out shall we:

Grinding: No purpose.
    L'Cie Paragon // Commando's Seal // Ravager's Seal // Sentinel's Seal // Saboteur's Seal //Synergist's Seal // Medic's Seal     

There are 7 achievements out of 35 that are dedicated to grinding CP level's to max every character. Going after each of the character specific roles should unlock naturally, although raising each character's CP level to max will take more time.

Let's get one thing out of the way first: The grinding in Final Fantasy XIII is quite possibly the worst I have ever seen in a game.
    "But, vidiot!" You stammer back at me, ignoring the fact you are referring to me out-loud by my internet handle.
    "Surely, the time and effort is not as much as some other games you have played! You have S-Ranks in both Lost Odyssey and Resonance of Fate! I heard that the grinding involved in Resonance of Fate, makes unborn children cry!"...

...Slowly sitting into my armchair, I adjust my monocle in an over-exaggerated manner.
    "You are most wise and studios in presenting your counter-point, Mr. Pumpernickel, but what you forget yourself on what the true purpose of subjecting your-self to such a monotonous task!"
    "Well, when one does the act of grinding, it usually is during the act of procreation..."
    "Not the grinding I was referring to Mr. Pumpernickel! You forget yourself!"
    I quickly cut you off in vain as our conversation turns to you wanting to talk about sex for the next hour.
    Near the end of our debate you finally ask why the hell I'm calling you "Mr. Pumpernickel" .
    You are unsatisfied with my answer.

...I did all this work...For what?
    I'm getting side-tracked.
    Regardless of my moment of insanity, I personally find that grinding in JRPG's is not necessarily a dated, or unnecessary design concept. It gives the player the feeling of becoming stronger over-time, for die-hard fans of the JRPG series there is quite a bit of fun to beef-up on smaller foes: Only too then crush larger foes after a long session of "training".

Final Fantasy XIII has the usual JRPG completionist set of achievement points, designated to grinding. The problem is that Final Fantasy XIII's core design isn't geared toward grinding at all. In order to curb excessive grinding, there are caps throughout the main character development system known as "The Crystarium".
    Unlike other JRPG's that use level caps, like Lost Odyssey, there's not much room for similar moments of choice character development. This way each chapter can end with a boss fight, that the player is equally prepared for.

The amount of  CP ("Crystarium Points") required to max each of your characters seems unnecessarily ridiculous. To make matter's worse, obtaining big chunks of CP is actually somewhat of a debatable concept between different guides. There are many idea's of what qualifies as an exploit.
    To make matters worse even at high CP level's, don't expect to be able to destroy certain high-level enemies in-order to gain more CP. Farming strong enemies like the  Adamantoises for CP, seems to be more of a crap-shoot and even at max-levels it's quite easy to be wiped-out immediately. It feels like the game really doesn't give you the proper means to max your characters, because the game is focused on not grinding.

What's even more absurd, is that we haven't even gotten to the worst part of Final Fantasy XIII's grinding. Were actually not done yet with this subject, and were going to get to the real big problem in just a second.

Originality: Missed Opportunity.

Gysahl Wreath // Superstar // Limit Breaker // Exorcist
    Keeping with the trend that Final Fantasy XIII's achievement's highlight the game's worst qualities, don't expect to see anything really imaginative here. Final Fantasy XIII's more "ambitious" achievements don't do enough, and some are confusing regarding their concept.
    Let's get one thing out of the way: If you thought there wasn't a whole lot to do out-side the beaten path in this game, if you're going to be going after an S-Rank, get ready to notice it a whole lot more.

To put it simply: Just about every side-achievement is dedicated to the 64 monster hunts that are in this game. There's only two combat specific achievement (Limit Breaker
     You better like the hunts.
    and Superstar) involving inflicting over 100,000 points of damage, and the other beating the final boss under a certain time-limit. That's it.

Other achievements are somewhat laughable in context of the limited design of the game.
    Case in point, my "favorite" is Exorcist, a bizarre achievement that's awarded for beating all the undead hunts. Why undead? Are there people who are just going after the undead hunts? If all the other achievements are making you eventually completing all the hunts, then what's the emphasis on getting just awarded for only beating the undead hunts?

The rest are what you would expect. There's one for getting items on a Chocobo (Gysahl Wreath) and beside from a few grind-specific achievements, there's not a whole lot here.

Point Value: Strange...

Loremaster
    Grinding everyone's CP levels to maximum, is apparently less of a challenge than scanning 100 different enemies, something you will have to do regardless of incentive. Also, it feels like a large majority of Final Fantasy XIII's achievements are unlocked when playing Final Fantasy XIII's side-content.

Missable Achievement: Yup.  
    Were going to get to this achievement in just a second. Suffice to say: It's actually easy to miss if you don't know what steps to take in order to prevent it.

Difficulty: Fair
    Hooray!
    Something positive!

Even though Final Fantasy XIII's achievements are limited in scope, when it comes to the actual fights and difficulty regarding some of the later bosses: It all check's out. Sadly, there's too many instances of developers getting confused over the idea that difficulty, equates to bosses with HP amounts that dwarf entire franchises.
    Overall though, I never felt that a majority of Final Fantasy XIII's achievements were skewed. The hunt's usually give a good challenge.

New Game+: Poorly implemented
    With so many achievements focused on after-game activities (hunts) it's confusing where to classify Final Fantasy XIII's New Game+, or if any of the achievements properly exploit it. You can't go back and play previous chapters, there could have been some room there for more achievements. The only achievement that exploits replaying a portion of the game involves fighting the final boss during a specific time-period, and you'll most likely breeze through it.

One Stupid Achievement: "F*** You."

Treasure Hunter is an unfocused challenge, that is poorly implemented, and to top it off: A huge waste of time.

I touched about CP grinding above, but nothing beat's the big noticeable turd in what's been so far a slightly disappointing S-Rank. Treasure hunter involves you obtaining every weapon, for every character in the game. There is no in-game check-list, so you will probably have to print out your own.

Pictured: Lightning is  disappointed with all the time she spent getting a new weapon, that does nothing.
     Pictured: Lightning is  disappointed with all the time she spent getting a new weapon, that does nothing.
    That's right: Instead of maxing characters to god-like levels, (That you will never feel that's on-par to other entries in the series) or beating ever hunt with a Five-Star rating, the vast majority of my time getting this S-Rank, involved running between a certain set of enemies, that dropped certain items that I then sold for a premium.
    To reiterate: The big end-game grind sessions in Final Fantasy XIII, involves grinding for cash.

The achievement doesn't feel natural to the rest of the achievements either. It's also completely missable, given the fact that some very specific items are required in-order to upgrade your weapons. If you don't know this fact, and are looking for an S-Rank, you're screwed. Don't sell anything until after the main story is finished. This is especially disturbing, given the fact the game encourages you to sell things, considering how having tons of cash is such an uncommon situation in the game.
    ...And you will need tons of cash to get this thing.

To make matters even worse: It's all dependent on enemy drop-rates. You can equip accessories to increase these drop-rates, but some the more rarer items that are required to obtain, are, to put it nicely: Have drop rates that are fu***** ludicrous.
    Case in point:Trapezohedron's are very important items and are required for weapon upgrades. Even with the most powerful accessories equipped that allow for higher drop-rates: Expect to only get them roughly 5% of the time.

FIVE PERCENT.

Other Positive Categories
    • Collectibles: None!
    • DLC: None!
    • Glitches: None!
    • Stacking: No difficulty achievements!

Final Grade:

Estimated Time: 90-100 hours / 1+ Playthrough

As a critic, there's a part of me that wished for achievements that had more emphasis on certain aspects of the game, versus general completion. Load up a good podcast for this one, because the amount of time waiting for certain items to appear after a fight will drain you. Printing out item lists is not something new for JRPG enthusiasts, but the lack of in-game direction for the achievement like Treasure Trove really hurts the overall experience.

People ask me how I'm capable in pulling succeeding such a monotonous task: "Don't you have a life?! The hell is wrong with you!"
    My secret is not very exciting, and is simply obtainable given my current set-up: My monitor plugs into my game consoles and my PC, in the same room is another TV. Loading up Final Fantasy XIII while watching late night television is probably the only way I was able to complete such a task. It's depressing that a slight majority of my time spent trying to complete this game, was because of one achievement that specifically expands on just about all of the faults of this game. It's depressing that the pay-off of getting each character to maximum level's, doesn't seem as substantial as previous entries. It's depressing that almost 50% of the achievements outside of completing the game, just involve completing the hunts.

That being said, Final Fantasy XIII's uninspired achievements, probably are more reflective of developers having difficulty finding things for you in the actual game itself. To be fair: A lot of the Hunt missions are actually quite fair in terms of difficulty. Some of the more elaborate fights, will impress you in terms of how much tactics are involved.

Final Fantasy XIII is not a difficult S-Rank. It just takes time and planning. Once you have the plan nailed down, all that's left is lot's of very boring grind-fest's that have pay-offs that are nowhere near as good as they should be. For those who want an S-Rank in Final Fantasy XIII, it's difficult for me to recommend that such a challenge is worth it.

That being said, I think this is a good start. If you look at other achievements that debuted on other franchises this generation, Final Fantasy XIII isn't that bad in retrospect.

Notice: You will have to use guides. Check out both xboxachievements and it's sister site ps3trophies.

If you have the 360 version, it is possible to hack your gamesave.
    I'm not supposed to recommend doing this, but given the lack of difficulty and general monotony with Treasure Hunter: I trust you can make your own decisions.

HINT HINT

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By vidiot

Notice: The following S-Rank was a platinum trophy obtained on the Playstation 3 version of Final Fantasy XIII. It is not associated to my official S-Rank list on GiantBomb. Here's hoping that Sony will figure out that people like sharing their trophy information, outside of their own official site. Like every other achievement system in existence. 

Round #2!

It's not that it's difficult to go back writing about Final Fantasy XIII, just uncomfortable.
    It's a great game, but there are so many skewed issues within the game's main design that it's difficult to go back talking about it. There are tons of other JRPG's that have been released this generation, that are dwarfed by the quality of Final Fantasy XIII.

But were not here to talk about the actual game, per-say. No, this is all about the achievements!

So were over half-a-decade into the HD generation, and a Final Fantasy game was finally released to capitalize on the big scary modern gaming machines. It should be noted that this is not the first Final Fantasy to incorporate an achievement system. The previous entry, Final Fantasy XII had an in-game menu that mirrored an achievement system. It wasn't that big of a deal, and there's a good chance that me bringing this up now, will inevitable make you hunt down your copy, in order to make sure I'm not making this up: But it was there. Defeating certain sub-bosses like Yiazmat, netted you a neat little icon in your in-game menu.

(I beat Yiazmat...I'm not...*sigh*...Go look it up...I have no interest in sharing that experience.)

So technically, Final Fantasy XIII was the first real attempt to bring achievements officially into the franchise. When I think back on the franchise, my imagination takes hold and I can see the possibilities. I know I'm not alone, thinking of concepts like getting an achievement for getting the gold chocobo in Final Fantasy VII. Perhaps an achievement for marching through the first Final Fantasy with all mages?

So how does Final Fantasy XIII capitalize on our new-fangeled modern achievement system? Is getting an S-Rank capitalize on something that you can proudly share? Or does it run down a lengthy corridor, and fall flat on it's face?

See what I did there? Get it? Because it's linear. People didn't like that. That it was linear. I used that as a seg-way to the actual article.It was also a joke. Pretty funny huh?
    You can laugh, it's okay.

...Let's move on.

S-Rank Synopsis

Sadly, Final Fantasy XIII's achievements are painfully uninspired.
    When it come's to JRPG's this generation, we truly don't get many lists that seem to advertise some form of established middle-ground, or center. They are usually on opposite ends of the spectrum, either "challenges" that were made by disgruntled medicated employees, or developers that don't really care and just spoon-feed you achievements because they are now required too.

It's gotten better over the years, but it's still depressing to read an achievement list like Final Fantasy XIII's. To be fair, it's probably one of the most balanced achievement lists for JRPG's this generation. That being said, when it comes to the more complicated achievements, the most errigous flaws with Final Fantasy XIII come out in full-force.

Is getting an S-Rank in Final Fantasy XIII worth getting? Let's find out shall we:

Grinding: No purpose.
    L'Cie Paragon // Commando's Seal // Ravager's Seal // Sentinel's Seal // Saboteur's Seal //Synergist's Seal // Medic's Seal     

There are 7 achievements out of 35 that are dedicated to grinding CP level's to max every character. Going after each of the character specific roles should unlock naturally, although raising each character's CP level to max will take more time.

Let's get one thing out of the way first: The grinding in Final Fantasy XIII is quite possibly the worst I have ever seen in a game.
    "But, vidiot!" You stammer back at me, ignoring the fact you are referring to me out-loud by my internet handle.
    "Surely, the time and effort is not as much as some other games you have played! You have S-Ranks in both Lost Odyssey and Resonance of Fate! I heard that the grinding involved in Resonance of Fate, makes unborn children cry!"...

...Slowly sitting into my armchair, I adjust my monocle in an over-exaggerated manner.
    "You are most wise and studios in presenting your counter-point, Mr. Pumpernickel, but what you forget yourself on what the true purpose of subjecting your-self to such a monotonous task!"
    "Well, when one does the act of grinding, it usually is during the act of procreation..."
    "Not the grinding I was referring to Mr. Pumpernickel! You forget yourself!"
    I quickly cut you off in vain as our conversation turns to you wanting to talk about sex for the next hour.
    Near the end of our debate you finally ask why the hell I'm calling you "Mr. Pumpernickel" .
    You are unsatisfied with my answer.

I'm getting side-tracked.
    Regardless of my moment of insanity, I personally find that grinding in JRPG's is not necessarily a dated, or unnecessary design concept. It gives the player the feeling of becoming stronger over-time, for die-hard fans of the JRPG series there is quite a bit of fun to beef-up on smaller foes: Only too then crush larger foes after a long session of "training".

Final Fantasy XIII has the usual JRPG completionist set of achievement points, designated to grinding. The problem is that Final Fantasy XIII's core design isn't geared toward grinding at all. In order to curb excessive grinding, there are caps throughout the main character development system known as "The Crystarium".
    Unlike other JRPG's that use level caps, like Lost Odyssey, there's not much room for similar moments of choice character development. This way each chapter can end with a boss fight, that the player is equally prepared for.

The amount of  CP ("Crystarium Points") required to max each of your characters seems unnecessarily ridiculous. To make matter's worse, obtaining big chunks of CP is actually somewhat of a debatable concept between different guides. There are many idea's of what qualifies as an exploit.
    To make matters worse even at high CP level's, don't expect to be able to destroy certain high-level enemies in-order to gain more CP. Farming strong enemies like the  Adamantoises for CP, seems to be more of a crap-shoot and even at max-levels it's quite easy to be wiped-out immediately. It feels like the game really doesn't give you the proper means to max your characters, because the game is focused on not grinding.

What's even more absurd, is that we haven't even gotten to the worst part of Final Fantasy XIII's grinding. Were actually not done yet with this subject, and were going to get to the real big problem in just a second.

Originality: Missed Opportunity.

Gysahl Wreath // Superstar // Limit Breaker // Exorcist
    Keeping with the trend that Final Fantasy XIII's achievement's highlight the game's worst qualities, don't expect to see anything really imaginative here. Final Fantasy XIII's more "ambitious" achievements don't do enough, and some are confusing regarding their concept.
    Let's get one thing out of the way: If you thought there wasn't a whole lot to do out-side the beaten path in this game, if you're going to be going after an S-Rank, get ready to notice it a whole lot more.

To put it simply: Just about every side-achievement is dedicated to the 64 monster hunts that are in this game. There's only two combat specific achievement (Limit Breaker
    and Superstar) involving inflicting over 100,000 points of damage, and the other beating the final boss under a certain time-limit. That's it.

Other achievements are somewhat laughable in context of the limited design of the game.
    Case in point, my "favorite" is Exorcist, a bizarre achievement that's awarded for beating all the undead hunts. Why undead? Are there people who are just going after the undead hunts? If all the other achievements are making you eventually completing all the hunts, then what's the emphasis on getting just awarded for only beating the undead hunts?

The rest are what you would expect. There's one for getting items on a Chocobo (Gysahl Wreath) and beside from a few grind-specific achievements, there's not a whole lot here.

Point Value: Strange...

Loremaster
    Grinding everyone's CP levels to maximum, is apparently less of a challenge than scanning 100 different enemies, something you will have to do regardless of incentive. Also, it feels like a large majority of Final Fantasy XIII's achievements are unlocked when playing Final Fantasy XIII's side-content.

Missable Achievement: Yup.  
    Were going to get to this achievement in just a second. Suffice to say: It's actually easy to miss if you don't know what steps to take in order to prevent it.

Difficulty: Fair
    Hooray!
    Something positive!

Even though Final Fantasy XIII's achievements are limited in scope, when it comes to the actual fights and difficulty regarding some of the later bosses: It all check's out. Sadly, there's too many instances of developers getting confused over the idea that difficulty, equates to bosses with HP amounts that dwarf entire franchises.
    Overall though, I never felt that a majority of Final Fantasy XIII's achievements were skewed. The hunt's usually give a good challenge.

New Game+: Poorly implemented
    With so many achievements focused on after-game activities (hunts) it's confusing where to classify Final Fantasy XIII's New Game+, or if any of the achievements properly exploit it. You can't go back and play previous chapters, there could have been some room there for more achievements. The only achievement that exploits replaying a portion of the game involves fighting the final boss during a specific time-period, and you'll most likely breeze through it.

One Stupid Achievement: "F*** You."

Treasure Hunter is an unfocused challenge, that is poorly implemented, and to top it off: A huge waste of time.

I touched about CP grinding above, but nothing beat's the big noticeable turd in what's been so far a slightly disappointing S-Rank. Treasure hunter involves you obtaining every weapon, for every character in the game. There is no in-game check-list, so you will probably have to print out your own.

That's right: Instead of maxing characters to god-like levels, (That you will never feel that's on-par to other entries in the series) or beating ever hunt with a Five-Star rating, the vast majority of my time getting this S-Rank, involved running between a certain set of enemies, that dropped certain items that I then sold for a premium.
    To reiterate: The big end-game grind sessions in Final Fantasy XIII, involves grinding for cash.

The achievement doesn't feel natural to the rest of the achievements either. It's also completely missable, given the fact that some very specific items are required in-order to upgrade your weapons. If you don't know this fact, and are looking for an S-Rank, you're screwed. Don't sell anything until after the main story is finished. This is especially disturbing, given the fact the game encourages you to sell things, considering how having tons of cash is such an uncommon situation in the game.
    ...And you will need tons of cash to get this thing.

To make matters even worse: It's all dependent on enemy drop-rates. You can equip accessories to increase these drop-rates, but some the more rarer items that are required to obtain, are, to put it nicely: Have drop rates that are fu***** ludicrous.
    Case in point:Trapezohedron's are very important items and are required for weapon upgrades. Even with the most powerful accessories equipped that allow for higher drop-rates: Expect to only get them roughly 5% of the time.

FIVE PERCENT.

Other Positive Categories
    • Collectibles: None!
    • DLC: None!
    • Glitches: None!
    • Stacking: No difficulty achievements!

Final Grade:

Estimated Time: 90-100 hours / 1+ Playthrough

As a critic, there's a part of me that wished for achievements that had more emphasis on certain aspects of the game, versus general completion. Load up a good podcast for this one, because the amount of time waiting for certain items to appear after a fight will drain you. Printing out item lists is not something new for JRPG enthusiasts, but the lack of in-game direction for the achievement like Treasure Trove really hurts the overall experience.

People ask me how I'm capable in pulling succeeding such a monotonous task: "Don't you have a life?! The hell is wrong with you!"
    My secret is not very exciting, and is simply obtainable given my current set-up: My monitor plugs into my game consoles and my PC, in the same room is another TV. Loading up Final Fantasy XIII while watching late night television is probably the only way I was able to complete such a task. It's depressing that a slight majority of my time spent trying to complete this game, was because of one achievement that specifically expands on just about all of the faults of this game. It's depressing that the pay-off of getting each character to maximum level's, doesn't seem as substantial as previous entries. It's depressing that almost 50% of the achievements outside of completing the game, just involve completing the hunts.

That being said, Final Fantasy XIII's uninspired achievements, probably are more reflective of developers having difficulty finding things for you in the actual game itself. To be fair: A lot of the Hunt missions are actually quite fair in terms of difficulty. Some of the more elaborate fights, will impress you in terms of how much tactics are involved.

Final Fantasy XIII is not a difficult S-Rank. It just takes time and planning. Once you have the plan nailed down, all that's left is lot's of very boring grind-fest's that have pay-offs that are nowhere near as good as they should be. For those who want an S-Rank in Final Fantasy XIII, it's difficult for me to recommend that such a challenge is worth it.

That being said, I think this is a good start. If you look at other achievements that debuted on other franchises this generation, Final Fantasy XIII isn't that bad in retrospect.

Notice: You will have to use guides. Check out both xboxachievements and it's sister site ps3trophies.

If you have the 360 version, it is possible to hack your gamesave.
    I'm not supposed to recommend doing this, but given the lack of difficulty and general monotony with Treasure Hunter: I trust you can make your own decisions.

HINT HINT

rargy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 27

#2  Edited By rargy

I listen to music while grinding.  In related news:  i have listened to a lot of music lately.

ricetopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By ricetopher

I ended up getting all the trophies except for Treasure Hunter, couldn't put myself through all that work to make me hate the game over something optional.

Think I had 80 hours or so when I finished all the other trophies up.

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By SuperWristBands

I S-Ranked this game and it took a long ass time. I had a little over 100 hours when I finally got that last trap-a-thingy. Yeah, I can't really remember much about that game aside from trying to Death a giant turtles head until I was strong enough to take it down normally, and then I did that for many, many hours.

Also, this was very fun to read. Keep it up. I look forward to reading about more pain in S-ranking games. How about Tales of Vesperia? I had fun with that one. Much longer then it took me to S-rank FFXIII.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think this post is a perfect example of why I never attempt to get an achievement if it isn't fun or will take over an hour. And also why FFXIII joins FFII and FFVIII as the only games in the series I played but didn't beat. Because they suck.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By xyzygy

My S-Rank came in at 148 hours,,, I had JUST the right amount of money to get the final component I needed for the final weapon. It was really satisfying.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By vidiot
    @rargy said:
    " I listen to music while grinding.  In related news:  i have listened to a lot of music lately. "
    Hey-oh!? :P
    @ricetopher:
    ...and you shouldn't be blamed or looked down upon for stopping where you did. It's surprising how one achievement can set the tone of something like this. Granted, Final Fantasy XIII's achievements have some serious issues, but I wonder what it would have been like if that achievement wasn't there.

Case in point: Yakuza 4.
    I'm going to talk about my Platinum trophy in Yakuza 3 a little later, but if one directly matches the trophy list for both games (3 and 4), one immediately notices a tonal shift in both lists, simply because the dreaded Mini-Game Master trophy is missing.

@Sasran:
    Oh-gawd thank you for reminding me.
    I would have S-Ranked Tales of Vesperia, but didn't because I got confused over the possibility of a PS3 release. I didn't know if I wanted to dedicate more time into it, if there was a superior more complete version down-the-road. Namco has since not done anything in regards to an English Tales of Vesperia release.

Whoever decided how Grade was supposed to be distributed in that game, should be shot.

@SuperfluousMoniker:
    Thanks, I don't want get too side-tracked here:
    While I share my disprovable of Final Fantasy II, I personally find both VIII and XIII more confused games versus titles that flat-out suck. The JRPG genre has rolled out some big stinkers, and to put VIII and XIII side-by-side in the same category next to some of the bigger epic horribleness isn't easy to do. I would argue that XIII is the Final Fantasy VIII of this generation: It sounds great on paper, but it's design is poorly executed.
    Kandycane2029

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Kandycane2029

I feel awful. I've had XIII since launch and STILL haven't finished it.. Normally when I get a new FF game I play until completion.

@SuperfluousMoniker: What didn't you like about FF II? I found it to be a good game, except for the leveling system.

WatanabeKazuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By WatanabeKazuma

Ah treasure hunter, I got to a horrible point with that where I realised how long it would take but had invested too much time to simply let it go to waste. I found it refreshing that even as a maxed out party you could get killed with the wrong strategy, but I do agree for the trophies it makes those trophies redundant.

You got the platinum on Yakuza 3? You are far more patient than I will ever be, I did the majority of stuff (Trophy completion was at about 68%) but as soon as I got to the EX Hard batting and other mini-games I just gave up. I have everything on Yakuza 4, well barring going through the game on Normal. No stacking of trophies, GRRRRRR...
    Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By Video_Game_King

Wait, there's a missable achievement in this game? Which one?

WatanabeKazuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By WatanabeKazuma
    @Video_Game_King said:
    " Wait, there's a missable achievement in this game? Which one? "
    I wondered this too, I never referred to a guide until I hit the endgame and I was fine.
    Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By Catolf

FF13's S rank looks so over my head I don't think i'll try for it.. I'll beat the game get what I can (I don't mind grinding too much ) but the hunts KICK MY ASS and I'm not good at them.. ;_;

uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By uniform

Your first two of these just so happen to be the only two Trophy/Achievement games I have full completion on. FF XIII is my only Platinum Trophy, and Beyond Good and Evil HD is my only S-rank.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Ghostiet
    @Video_Game_King said:
    " Wait, there's a missable achievement in this game? Which one? "
    Treasure Hunter?
    WatanabeKazuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By WatanabeKazuma
    @Catolf said:
    " FF13's S rank looks so over my head I don't think i'll try for it.. I'll beat the game get what I can (I don't mind grinding too much ) but the hunts KICK MY ASS and I'm not good at them.. ;_; "
    It's certainly manageable, apart from completing all the hunts which actually does require a degree of skill the rest are more or less a question of time. It is something of a commitment though I'll admit; If I had realised sooner how long it would eventually take me I don't think I would have gotten the platinum either.
    Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Kandycane2029:  The horribleness of that leveling system cannot be understated. It literally ruins the game in my opinion. To me, the hallmark of a well made JRPG is a good difficulty curve; you need to be challenged just enough to feel endangered when you're in those dungeons, and the XP enemies give needs to be balanced to make it not worth it to grind so much that the next dungeon feels like a complete non issue. With FF2's broken system, the only thing stopping you from maxing out your characters on the enemies outside the first town is time, but unlike other games there is no incentive to grind later because you gain power at the same rates no matter what you fight (since you're really fighting your own party).

I also dislike it for being one of those "Any character can do anything" RPGs. I much prefer when the characters have well defined roles in the party; that way when your healer dies it's a big deal. Having three or four characters that can all equip every weapon and cast every spell makes the characters and the combat in general more bland.

On the plus side, the question topics system was unique (for the genre at least, it was like having a little adventure game flavor in your JRPG) and I wish more games used it.
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By vidiot
    @Video_Game_King:@WatanabeKazuma:@Ghostiet:

(Treasure Hunter)..."It's also completely missable, given the fact that some very specific items are required in-order to upgrade your weapons. If you don't know this fact, and are looking for an S-Rank, you're screwed. Don't sell anything until after the main story is finished. This is especially disturbing, given the fact the game encourages you to sell things, considering how having tons of cash is such an uncommon situation in the game.
    ...And you will need tons of cash to get this thing."

While preparing to go after Treasure Hunter, I hit the forums in order to get ready for the endeavor. One of the first things I read, and subsequently quite a bit more as people progressed trying to accomplish Treasure Hunter, was a litany of individuals complaining they couldn't get it: Because they sold something and it locked them out. It's quite a common complaint, and I find it pretty disingenuous considering the only way to make money in this game, is to sell items. You get loads of misc accessories, most of which don't do much in terms of power and potential. It's easily understandable to see why someone would sell something, without prior knowledge that that item is required for something better.

I have a zero tolerance for missable trophies, or glitched trophies. Not only does Treasure Hunter meet the criteria of being missable, it's also unclear that it actually is missable.

@uniform:
    That means you win something!
    -insert prize here-

@Catolf:
    That's why this is getting a "C".
    WatanabeKazuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By WatanabeKazuma
    @vidiot said:

" @Video_Game_King:@WatanabeKazuma:@Ghostiet:

(Treasure Hunter)..."It's also completely missable, given the fact that some very specific items are required in-order to upgrade your weapons. If you don't know this fact, and are looking for an S-Rank, you're screwed. Don't sell anything until after the main story is finished. This is especially disturbing, given the fact the game encourages you to sell things, considering how having tons of cash is such an uncommon situation in the game.
    ...And you will need tons of cash to get this thing."

While preparing to go after Treasure Hunter, I hit the forums in order to get ready for the endeavor. One of the first things I read, and subsequently quite a bit more as people progressed trying to accomplish Treasure Hunter, was a litany of individuals complaining they couldn't get it: Because they sold something and it locked them out. It's quite a common complaint, and I find it pretty disingenuous considering the only way to make money in this game, is to sell items. You get loads of misc accessories, most of which don't do much in terms of power and potential. It's easily understandable to see why someone would sell something, without prior knowledge that that item is required for something better.

I have a zero tolerance for missable trophies, or glitched trophies. Not only does Treasure Hunter meet the criteria of being missable, it's also unclear that it actually is missable.

Ah, I forgot about that. Fortunately my habit of never getting rid of items in games paid off again, but I agree if there is no reprieve for doing so it just ends up being unfair and a bad design decision. 

That is a problem I have with games in general, more so RPG's which love spreading around one shot items/events without warning. It is something which doesn't seem to be as widespread as it once was, but when you are attaching them to achievements/trophies I begin to wonder who it benefits.
    Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By Ghostiet
    @WatanabeKazuma:
    As a side note - at least we are past the phase when mandatory stuff gets misplaced. In one of the best games ever made, Planescape Torment, there are two situations where you need items to progress further and they are easily lost forever  - one is vendor trash and the second is attained at the end of the first chapter and used at the very end of the game. Ahoodedfigure made a pretty good blog post about it in the case of Morrowind.
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By vidiot
    @WatanabeKazuma said:
    Ah, I forgot about that. Fortunately my habit of never getting rid of items in games paid off again, but I agree if there is no reprieve for doing so it just ends up being unfair and a bad design decision. 

That is a problem I have with games in general, more so RPG's which love spreading around one shot items/events without warning. It is something which doesn't seem to be as widespread as it once was, but when you are attaching them to achievements/trophies I begin to wonder who it benefits.
    "
    Our game-play styles are very similar.
    I never sell anything either, but during the course of playing, I defiantly had felt the need too given the sheer lack of cash in that game. If it wasn't for researching the trophy early, who knows what I would have done. I could easily see myself selling something that would have messed me up later.

@Ghostiet said:
    " @WatanabeKazuma:As a side note - at least we are past the phase when mandatory stuff gets misplaced. In one of the best games ever made, Planescape Torment, there are two situations where you need items to progress further and they are easily lost forever  - one is vendor trash and the second is attained at the end of the first chapter and used at the very end of the game. Ahoodedfigure made a pretty good blog post about it in the case of Morrowind. "
    I raise you Return To Zork.
    I remember playing that as a kid, and realizing I couldn't continue because I totally screwed up. If my memory serves me correctly, there was actually an incinerator in the game that you could burn every inventory item you had. One of the things that's commonplace while playing puzzle adventure games, is using every item on everything. Imagine accidentally tossing everything in the incinerator, and realizing that wasn't part of a puzzle: AND YOU JUST INCINERATED EVERYTHING. :P

WatanabeKazuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By WatanabeKazuma
    @vidiot: @Ghostiet: They both sound like utter nightmares. I don't think that the completionist in me could take that.

Now that I think about there is one series that still dabbles in that trend, actually its surprising when you consider the kind of game it is. I'm talking about Pokemon! Christ, those games pretty much embody this nowadays with the one-shot items and Pokemon, many which are easy to miss and require timing on the players part in the real world. I think the original Gold was the last time I 'completed' the game 100%, now it just borders on masochism.
    wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22  Edited By wrighteous86

Fighting Yiazmat literally broke me on the Final Fantasy series. It made me realize how frustrating, boring, and unnecessary most aspects of the games are, and while I liked the stories, I hated the games. Yiazmat followed by FFXIII shortly after, and I never looked back.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By AuthenticM

I platinumed Final Fantasy XIII also. While I was grinding XP and cash, I listened to previous podcasts. I would have gone mad had I not done this.

Lelcar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#24  Edited By Lelcar

I have the PS3 version of FFXIII and I got the platinum in it as well. I love Final Fantasy XIII with a fiery passion, the game is great. But I agree that the trophies/achievements are very uninspired. I don't mind the grinding, because essentially that's how you're going to have to beat all 64 missions and the Long Gui, which are both satisfying trophies and what I would consider mastering the game. However, the Treasure Hunter trophy is awful and useless and if it wasn't for the trophy I wouldn't even consider that as a milestone to master the game.

I also wish that they had some battle-based skill trophies. Like how long can you keep this enemy juggled in the air. Or something about staggering dudes, etc. But yeah, trophies/achievements aside, FFXIII is an amazing game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.