Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Sep 22, 2010

The second MMO in the Final Fantasy series, famous for its tumultuous launch and subsequent rebirth by a new development team.

Is this still a fun game?

jamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

So I played A LOT of FFXI way way more then I admit and I recently keep thinking about joining this game. If I liked FFXI would I like this game? I am older now and do not have as much time to play games would I need to commit to this like I did FFXI? (setting alarms so I wake up at 3 AM to camp a HNM) Lastly now that it has been a few months is it a game you play for 2-3 months then put down or does it last?

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Steadying

Last time I played it (about 3 months ago), it was a lot of fun. I simply can't pay the sub fee, unfortunately. I plan on getting another month soon, though.

That said, the community seems pretty unfriendly.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Also, I think having a main quest with level reqs is a really good way to keep people playing to 50.

jamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By jamin

@steadyingmeat: Ya People in FFXI were not the friendliest I had a few bad traits as well but I mean I was in High School then now I am working full time it was a different life.

Bane122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@jamin724: This game requires no where near the commitment XI did. In fact, quite a bit of it is soloable. You can do most quests by yourself as you level to 50, with only now and then having to do a dungeon. When those pop up you can queue up to be automatically be teamed with others to clear it. Once you've hit cap, you'll probably want to see about joining the game's equivalent of a guild. You can still queue up for a bunch solo but you'll start getting into harder content and playing with people who you know can help.

As Steadyingmeat said, people can get pretty nasty at 50. Another reason to find a cool group to play with.

As for its longevity, that really depends on you. I still have fun with it but have slowed down on it a bit recently until the new patch comes later this month with more content. I should point out that there's still plenty for me to do, I just don't like playing as anything other than tanks so leveling other classes isn't really for me. I can say that for me it's definitely something I'll keep coming back to, even if I take a break here and there.

Finally, know that this plays mostly like a fairly standard MMO. I don't say that as a slight (as I said I've had quite a lot of fun with it and have been playing since launch), but just to point out that it's not as different a game as XI.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.