Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy XV

Game » consists of 26 releases. Released Nov 29, 2016

The fifteenth entry in Square Enix's flagship RPG franchise, set in a world that mixes elements of modern technology with magic, a fantasy based on reality.

FFXV "needs to sell 10M copies." Will it?

• 110 results
    Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Mirado

Poll FFXV "needs to sell 10M copies." Will it? (525 votes)

I watched Uncovered and/or played a demo and I think it will! 12%
    I haven't watched Uncovered and/or played a demo and I think it will! 12%
    I watched Uncovered and/or played a demo and I think it won't! 31%
    I haven't watched Uncovered and/or played a demo and I think it won't! 45%

During a news conference, director Hajima Tabata revealed that FFXV needs is hoping to sell 10 million copies worldwide over the lifespan of the game in order for it to be considered a success. That's...a lot of video games, guys. A whole hell of a lot, in fact; only FFVII has sold more in the entire franchise.

So, do you think it will? I've broken the poll options into two groups: those interested enough to seek out pre-release info (the whole Uncovered event, mainly) and/or play one of the various demos, and those who haven't. If you have, I'd like to know if those teasers changed your mind about the game and its chances (in either direction).

Personally, I don't see how it's possible. Granted it's a WRPG, but it took a massively well reviewed title like The Witcher 3 to ship (not sell) around that number, and the FF fanbase seems to be fairly fractured and burned after all of the FFXIII-related games, so it's hard to say how many on the fence would be willing to jump back in if it receives middling reviews. Even with the name brand carrying the weight that it does, I'm thinking it lands around 5-6M; an outstanding number, but not what you need for a game that's been in development for 10 years, apparently.

I could be wrong, especially since using TW3 is a bit apples-to-oranages, but that's just my gut feeling. What's yours?

• 
    OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#101  Edited By OurSin_360

@pcorb said:
    @oursin_360 said:

@thepanzini: i highly doubt they didnt know before hand how much they would need yo recoup their investment. No company purposefully throws money around without expecting a return.

I'm sure they also didn't intend beforehand for development to take this long. It's possible that some amount of the investment made by Square was made with the intent of seeing some return on what it had already cost them without expecting an overall profit.

True, but they had ample time to just cut their losses. They expect to hit that sales number, remember it's the same company that thought Tomb Raider was a failure when it sold really well. I would think they'd get more realistic after that but maybe they just don't know wtf they are doing anymore.

n00bs7ay3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. If you think that this game will sell that many copies you are delusional. Those types of numbers are only done by games that have mass appeal and Final Fantasy does not have that kind of appeal.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

I highly doubt it will and Square's projections/business planing is as ridiculous as ever.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oursin_360: SE never said Tomb Raider 2013 was a failure. TR sold twice as many copies in Europe compared to the US, SE laid the blame on the US sales team. SE never mentioned the sales target for TR just the combined sales of 8.75 million for Hitman, TR and Sleeping Dogs we don't know what SE expected from TR. SE never blamed the games or gave out specific figures, overshipping in the US and the stock buy back was the failure not missing the sales targets.

Tomb Raider failed to hit expectations.

Tomb Raider, Hitman Absolution and Sleeping Dogs were the only big releases for these regions and accounted for a combined 8.75 million sales worldwide, it's clear that their targets were a good deal higher.

The business' North American sales momentum was singled out as being particularly "ineffective". The continent recorded just two thirds of Europe's sales. Back in September, Square Enix had forecast that North American sales would be higher than Europe's.

Price protection - where a publisher is forced to compensate retailers for any games shifted at cut cost - added to Square Enix's woes.

In large part this is due to a restructuring of its games business, a measure necessary due to lacklustre sales of its console game portfolio. Company president Yoichi Wada has also been replaced.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If a game is amazing in a variety of obvious ways, like the Witcher, then i can understand fantastic sales figures, that being said The Division sold in the millions and that's a mediocre third person shooter (that volumetric light tho). Things FFXV has shown me so far, bad performance in the demos, weird world design and some questionable mechanics, nothing that amazes me yet, given the pull of the franchise i'd expect 3-5 million, but i'm not a franchise fan so it could be higher.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

@kemuri07 said:

@jeust:spending money don't mean you gonna make that money.

Basically Squenix is basically putting all of its cards on the table, hoping that all the hype the game has received for the past 10 years will be enough. To do that, XV can't just be a good game. It has to revitalize not only the FF brand, but also Jrpgs presence in gaming in general. And honestly, I don't think that's going to happen.

I believe SE can sell 10 million on popularity and the fame of the franchise, on advertising, and by taking advantage of a current gen market with lack of diversity and quantity in high profiled games.

EVILGibson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By EVILGibson

@babychoochoo said:

Not a snowball's chance in hell without a PC release and even then I just don't know. 10 million isn't an absurdly high number, but I'm definitely skeptical. The name just doesn't seem to carry as much weight as it once did.

That FF7 remake though? I'll bet anything it gets to 10 million easy.

I am MAJORLY skeeved at the footage for NEW Super Final Fantasy 7. It's is a different game and way too early to say it will not change radically on release.

It's smart they are doing episodes. If the first of X episodes, which does not have that many playable characters and the story kind of stagnates on the trope that science is bad for planet (like Anachronox and FF6), they can easily cancel it if they don't hit pre-set marks on episode 2 (it will be dumb to decide on episode 1 since people will be downloading it because it's Cloud Strifu and Aerith)

GStats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No way 10 million. The series hasn't got the same reputation it once had. I think it'd need to be an absolute masterpiece to do that well. Which I doubt it will be. Based on the demo, I think the best it will be is a kind of 8.5/10 game. Not a 9.5 like the series height though.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

What kind of timespan are we talking? By the time we have PS4 classics on the PS6 store, maybe? There are a lot of people out there who really like mediocre gameplay and atrocious melodrama, so it'll probably do pretty well.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tipsyrooster: Uncovered was an event that Square-Enix ran to showcase a lot of this FFXV stuff. If you don't know what it is, it's safe to say you didn't watch it, so you can ignore that bit. :D

Katon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it will do very well, but I can't see it selling that many copies.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I'd be hard pressed to say any game is going to sell more than 10 million. Like, what class of games regularly make those numbers? Does Call of Duty sell 10 million copies? Does Fifa? FF15 might be great, but it's an Action - JRPG starring a boyband on a road trip. I don't know if that titles reaches 10 million people.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.