Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Final Fantasy

Franchise »

Final Fantasy is Square Enix's most famous and successful franchise and has been going for more than 35 years. With the impending release of Final Fantasy XVI, there are sixteen numbered mainline games, with dozens of spin-offs.

The most amazing thing from E3 nobody is talking about.

• 120 results
    musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By musubi

So, this is just a tech demo so ya know...its not actually a GAME but seeing as this is a REAL TIME tech demo the implications for what a future Final Fantasy could potentially look like absolutely blow my mind and get me really excited for the potential of future consoles now. Granted, I'm also a unapologetic Final Fantasy Fanboy but I think most should probably find this impressive to at least a degree.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Bocam

Considering the fact that Square pulled the same shit with the FF7 tech demo. It's hard to be impressed.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By recroulette

Looked impressive as hell, but then again, I can't help but think of that other tech demo... 

Edit: Not trying to shit all over it, I'm actually glad that Squeenix was able to show something that is traditionally them. Instead of the Hitmans and the Tomb Raiders that they have become.

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By ShadyPingu

Yep. Seen it all before.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By AuthenticM

fuck, I was going to post this :)

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Justin258

So wait... they want to combine Resident Evil (specifically 5) with Final Fantasy now?

No, really. That's what I was reminded of. It looks cool, I just couldn't help but be reminded of RE5.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#7  Edited By Hailinel

@believer258 said:

So wait... they want to combine Resident Evil (specifically 5) with Final Fantasy now?

Do we get to see a Resident Evil - Disney - Final Fantasy crossover now?

No. This is just a tech demo movie for real-time cinematics tech. It's unlikely that the characters or events in this movie will appear in an actual game, unless Square Enix really want to throw us for a loop.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AuthenticM
    SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By SpunkyHePanda

Looks hot as shit, but it's weird how some of these tech demos seem designed to get you excited for a game that doesn't exist.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Nice visuals but throwing in actual gameplay with AI, scripting, etc. may tone it down a notch or two... or more.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Hailinel

@SpunkyHePanda said:

Looks hot as shit, but it's weird how some of these tech demos seem designed to get you excited for a game that doesn't exist.

As AuthenticM's link indicates, Square Enix is looking to see if there's interest in the subject of the movie becoming an actual game.

zels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By zels

Meh, if you really believe that this next gen willl be capable of that...

Sure one dY we'll get there but for now we're not even close.

Also sq should just give up on making games ans start making movies, maybe then wed get s9mething good.

ps. gb needs to make the website more phone-friendly

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AuthenticM

It's in moments such as these that I realize how much of a Final Fantasy fanboy I am. This tech demo plus the survey has gotten me PUMPED. Just the idea of it becoming a game excites me to my very core. Fuck. Won't be able to sleep tonight!

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I was okay with it until I saw the Favela influence and the ill-placed, acne-free white girl with the highly aggravating voice. None of this meshes well as a good setting.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By monetarydread
    @OllyOxenFree said:

Nice visuals but throwing in actual gameplay with AI, scripting, etc. may tone it down a notch or two... or more.

I have a feeling this is meant to be a target video for next gen systems.

Edit:  I filled out  the survey and Square specifically mentions this is a next gen target video.
    No Caption Provided
    recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By recroulette

I kinda wish they redid what they did for the PS3 and redid the intro for Final Fantasy X just for the hell of it.

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ShadyPingu

Okay, now that I've communicated my glacial disinterest, some actual discussion fodder: say what you want about the demo, about how much or how little it means, but you can't say that terrorists vs. wizards is played out.

Half of me thinks this is some weird meta-commentary on the wide gulf between Japanese and western games and visual sensibilities, but the other half doesn't think Square is capable of it.

The third half knows I'm overthinking this.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By musubi

@AuthenticM: Indeed. Unapologetic fan here as well. Final Fantasy XIII-2 still one of my favorite things this year. The only Final Fantasy branded thing I'm not down with is the horrible Spirits Within movie.

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Akrid

It'll be a while yet till we see something like this for real... It's also important to note that it's much easier to polish up a short film then it is an actual game. Every frame of that was scrutinized and laboured over to make it as picture perfect as possible.

Jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By Jace

Saw "Final Fantasy" and chuckled. Thanks, needed that.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By musubi

@Akrid: Well yeah its a target video. Look at Killzone 2. Didn't hit what the target video suggested it would look like but it came pretty damn close considering what they had to work with. Just look at how good FFXIII looks on PS3. I think square could pull some serious shit given enough horsepower to work with.

Rohok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By Rohok

Looks dumb.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By crusader8463

@Rohok said:

Looks dumb.

Stop talking into the mirror. It's weird.

I for one love the idea of magic vs guns.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
    the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So was that Call of Resident Fantasy?

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@AuthenticM said:

Everyone, PLEASE fill out this form, it takes 3 minutes.

https://form.square-enix.com/a.p/933/

It's Square-Enix wanting to know if we would like to see this turned into a game. :)

I DON'T. That girl was fucking annoying and that just looks like YET ANOTHER FINAL FANTASY GAME. Stop fucking making the same game. Gamers aren't allowed to bitch about CoD and then keep chomping at the bit for a fucking Final Fantasy game that is filled with stereotypes and tropes without looking like total idiots. Much like many of the dumb characters in Final Fantasy games.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

I think if this did become a game those cutscenes would be FMV while the real time stuff would not look quite as good.

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@MordeaniisChaos said:

@AuthenticM said:

It's Square-Enix wanting to know if we would like to see this turned into a game. :)

I DON'T. That girl was fucking annoying and that just looks like YET ANOTHER FINAL FANTASY GAME. Stop fucking making the same game. Gamers aren't allowed to bitch about CoD and then keep chomping at the bit for a fucking Final Fantasy game that is filled with stereotypes and tropes without looking like total idiots. Much like many of the dumb characters in Final Fantasy games.

How about we allow people to play the games they want to play and stop making assumptions about people. Let people play Final Fantasy and COD while other people can buy things like The Witcher and Last of Us. Stop being so full of yourself.

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ShadyPingu

@crusader8463: Magic has fought against guns in at least a third of the main series.

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@Encephalon said:

@crusader8463: Magic has fought against guns in at least a third of the main series.

Gunblade.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Hailinel

@MordeaniisChaos said:

@AuthenticM said:

You'd rather it look like Call of Duty, then, or what?

The biggest problem I find with the people that whine about Final Fantasy being Final Fantasy is that they either don't know what they want Final Fantasy to be or want it to change to the point that it's no longer recognizable as Final Fantasy. Make up your fucking mind and be more expressive about where you want the series to go, and stop this pointless bitching.

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ShadyPingu

@SethPhotopoulos:WHOA

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@Encephalon said:

@SethPhotopoulos:WHOA

Fuck! There have been gunblades in Final Fantasy. It's over.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#33  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@SethPhotopoulos said:

I think if this did become a game those cutscenes would be FMV while the real time stuff would not look quite as good.

Unreal Engine 4 with post processing middleware. It's already doable on a high end PC (even high end midrange at a lower res), there are many repeated assets and lots lower detail stuff hidden with LoD/Dof trickery while the middleware is making the whole thing's lighting look a lot better. The whole point of the next generation is to avoid cutscene video altogether so assets can be streamed in realtime with no loss of quality and can be easily repurposed/rejigged to cope with DLC.

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
    CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic

@Demoskinos: I believe the difference with the K2 video was it was originally prerendered CGI, right? Whereas this was is supposed to be all in-engine? Not sure, but if so, that's definitely some impressive tech. Once that game engine has to handle the larger assets of an entire game, however, it might not look as sharp. Still, very cool. Wish we were seeing actual systems with next-gen games, though, so we could have a better idea of where things are headed.

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@SeriouslyNow said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

Unreal Engine 4 with post processing middleware. It's already doable on a high end PC (even high end midrange at a lower res), there are many repeated assets and lots lower detail stuff hidden with LoD/Dof trickery while the middleware is making the whole thing's lighting look a lot better. The whole point of the next generation is to avoid cutscene video altogether so assets can be streamed in realtime with no loss of quality and can be easily repurposed/rejigged to cope with DLC.

You clearly know more about this stuff than I do.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Jay444111

@Demoskinos said:

@AuthenticM: Indeed. Unapologetic fan here as well. Final Fantasy XIII-2 still one of my favorite things this year. The only Final Fantasy branded thing I'm not down with is the horrible Spirits Within movie.

I will say Spirits within has some good effects... but that is about it... they should have just done FF7 Advent children if anything. IMO at least.

Also, I gotta vent. Square Enix is fucking with us when it comes to a remake of FF7. They got the damn Models from several different games in order to make it! Kingdom hearts, Advent children, and even some of the spin offs have the resources to make a damn game with, I don't care if it looks like FF13. I just fucking want it to look as good as the first KH at best! That game still looks good and I don't think people would have a problem with a game looking like that on the Vita as long as it was just as awesome.

Sorry about the rant. I just had to go there. I apologize.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@MordeaniisChaos said:

@AuthenticM said:

How about we allow people to play the games they want to play and stop making assumptions about people. Let people play Final Fantasy and COD while other people can buy things like The Witcher and Last of Us. Stop being so full of yourself.

That's why I said I don't want it, not that no one else should. I'm also fine with saying that any idiot who whines about CoD (many of those who play FF have been witnessed doing so) but wants more of the same FF drivel is an idiot. If they just enjoy FF, fine. But when they start bitching about the 5th game in a series, despite playing the 26th of another and acting like it isn't full of stereotypes and re-used themes. I'm also ok with saying I think it's dumb to support a studio that just makes the same crap over and over again, even if there are those who enjoy them. You know what most of those people would likely enjoy more? A similar experience that manages to get away from the tropes of Final Fantasy and breathes fresh life into the genre.

@Hailinel said:

@MordeaniisChaos said:

@AuthenticM said:

You'd rather it look like Call of Duty, then, or what?

The biggest problem I find with the people that whine about Final Fantasy being Final Fantasy is that they either don't know what they want Final Fantasy to be or want it to change to the point that it's no longer recognizable as Final Fantasy. Make up your fucking mind and be more expressive about where you want the series to go, and stop this pointless bitching.

Oh god, I KNEW you would touch this. What did I say? I said that Call of Duty is similarly terrible at reinventing itself and putting out the same goddamn stereotypes every game, or just stealing them from movies (COUGH World at War). So I very clearly don't fucking want Call of Duty. I don't want anything in particularly, you know why? I want to be surprised and shocked and amazed. I don't want fan service, I don't want stereotype, I want someone who is great at the creation of entertainment to give me something I haven't seen a billion times. Why is it my job to tell Square how to do their job? There's nothing terribly exciting about playing a game you asked for exactly.

And yeah, I want Final Fantasy to die. It's done, it's played out. People will be happy without a FF game every few years for the rest of eternity. I want something new. I'm an ass for saying your precious genre is stale and needs to modernize it's experiences, but when you whine about Call of Duty, it's cool and hip? I don't hate Final Fantasy. There have been good games in the franchise. There have also been about a million of them. And there were about two different models for their games. It's overplayed, it's uninteresting, and it's at times, a little insulting. How about a lady that doesn't show her thighs off and speak in squeaks? Or a sensible looking black man? I don't mind the occasional slut/ silly caricature, but it'd be nice to see more than leggy broads in skimpy outfits, racial stereotypes, dopes, and mysterious emo bad asses, more often.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#38  Edited By Brendan

I am down for wizards vs. terrorists. Also, I've never seen a health potion hurt so hard.

If the next Final Fantasy game could pull something unrealistically good like this off, it would be...well, it would be really good :P

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Akrid

@Demoskinos said:

@Akrid: Well yeah its a target video. Look at Killzone 2. Didn't hit what the target video suggested it would look like but it came pretty damn close considering what they had to work with. Just look at how good FFXIII looks on PS3. I think square could pull some serious shit given enough horsepower to work with.

Not really the same circumstance as the KZ2 one since this one is actually real-time. The claim is more direct since they're saying we're going to try and give you exactly this next-gen.

Now I ain't no expert or nothin', but actually, watching it again in 1080p, it seems pretty damn reasonable except for a few things. There are a lot of touches that they'd only be able to put into a short film like that (seems like they're budgeting CPU on a shot per shot basis, so in that simple old man close up his hair is modeled individually), but for the most part it seems on the down low.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By NTM

Hopefully when it comes to next gen, that's about a 5.0 (mediocre) on the scoring scale for graphics. Just kidding.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Hailinel

@MordeaniisChaos said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@MordeaniisChaos said:

@AuthenticM said:

That's why I said I don't want it, not that no one else should. I'm also fine with saying that any idiot who whines about CoD (many of those who play FF have been witnessed doing so) but wants more of the same FF drivel is an idiot. If they just enjoy FF, fine. But when they start bitching about the 5th game in a series, despite playing the 26th of another and acting like it isn't full of stereotypes and re-used themes. I'm also ok with saying I think it's dumb to support a studio that just makes the same crap over and over again, even if there are those who enjoy them. You know what most of those people would likely enjoy more? A similar experience that manages to get away from the tropes of Final Fantasy and breathes fresh life into the genre.

You apparently have no understanding of how the Final Fantasy series has evolved over time and have no inclination to learn, so therefore any meaningful discussion with you on the topic would surely be lost.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Jay444111

@MordeaniisChaos said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@MordeaniisChaos said:

@AuthenticM said:

Dude. BREATHE! Calm down! You seem kinda angry tonight. My recommendation is to get and axe and start chopping wood... trust me, it works extremely well if you visualize whatever you currently hate as the piece of wood as you swing down the axe... fucked up? Maybe. Effective? fucking A is it effective in releasing stress!

SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@MordeaniisChaos said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@MordeaniisChaos said:

@AuthenticM said:

You just made an assumption that because people want more of the same FF games that they are the ones bashing COD for doing the same thing. That makes no sense and there is no way you would know that unless you were omniscient or spend all of your time stalking all FF fans and see if they said anything bad about COD.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Jay444111

@Hailinel: He just seems angry. Just let him vent whatever and do something outside of the internet for a while.

Also I have been meaning to ask because you seem like you would know. Is there any chance at a Panty and Stocking season 2? Or do I have to go on knowing that I got trolled...

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Hailinel

@Jay444111 said:

@Hailinel: He just seems angry. Just let him vent whatever and do something outside of the internet for a while.

Also I have been meaning to ask because you seem like you would know. Is there any chance at a Panty and Stocking season 2? Or do I have to go on knowing that I got trolled...

That's a random question to ask me here and now, but I have no idea. I haven't paid that series much attention.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By AuthenticM

@MordeaniisChaos said:

@SethPhotopoulos said:

@MordeaniisChaos said:

@AuthenticM said:

Except that each Final Fantasy game tries to reinvent its model. Sometimes it works; sometimes not. But at least Square Enix is trying. The same cannot be said of most franchises.

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Jay444111

@Hailinel said:

@Jay444111 said:

That's a random question to ask me here and now, but I have no idea. I haven't paid that series much attention.

I apologize. I just thought that you might have known. Sorry about that.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#48  Edited By Jeust

Meh Final Fantasy's problems were never about the tech. They should update the gameplay, and plot instead.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Hailinel

@Jeust said:

Meh Final Fantasy's problems were never about the tech. They should update the gameplay, and plot instead.

They do. Every game.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#50  Edited By YoThatLimp

Is it just me or does anyone not care about 3D Final Fantasy? I want some sexy 2D JRPGs.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.