Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Firewatch

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Feb 09, 2016

A first-person mystery set in the Wyoming wilderness developed by Campo Santo, where the protagonist's only lifeline, emotionally and physically speaking, is the person on the other end of a handheld radio.

PS4 frame rate

Ericjasonwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Ericjasonwade

I'm playing the game on PS4 and I noticed that the frame rate issues are extremely prevalent. I read some reviews, as well as Navarro's, and most of them say that the game does have trouble running in some places on the PS4 but I'm encountering almost constant fps drops. Every time I turn the camera, even gently, it hitches up. Is anyone else having it as bad as me?

Syce300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah it was pretty bad for me, looked about an average of low 20s maybe? It was inconsistent enough to make me have to take a couple 15min breaks during my playthrough due to some slight nausea. The game unfortunately is kind of a mess especially since my current objective notification just stopped updating halfway through so every time I opened the map it told me to hike north and gather supplies for the entire game.

Ericjasonwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All I've played so far is the intro and then the first day and I was really enamored with everything that is going on so far, so I am pretty bummed out about all these technical issues. What sucks is now I am probably going to set this aside to play something else in the hopes that they can patch out some of this wonky.

Teoball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One of the developers commented on the review. They are aware.

@bburbank said:

Hi guys, I'm one of the devs and Campo Santo and I love the write-up.

We're aware of the PS4 performance issues and are working with Sony and Unity to address them; one thing you can do until some of these patches hit would be to disable auto-save in the pause menu. This won't fix everything but it will remove one of the most frequent sources of hitches. We'll announce more soon.

Ericjasonwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh okay cool. I'll try that later and see if it helps any.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Yeah, it runs like a dumpster fire. A real shame too, because parts of it look beautiful, but you can't absorb the environment since it's chugging along and hitching up.

petethepanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The constant lurching back and forth in fps really detracted from the game's opening for me so I've been holding off for a patch, but I'm probably going to try the auto-save tweak tonight. (I should also probably try out a hard reset, as the performance does seem particularly awful for me, and I've had a couple games start to slow down after my PS4 went weeks/months without being off-off.)

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Although the framerate got real rough at certain spots, the game itself managed to pull me in effectively enough to ignore pretty much all of it. Of course it also helps that the game doesn't have a single point in the story where you could end up dead, so fast reactions aren't required.

Ericjasonwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tried the turning off the autosave feature and it seems to have helped it. It's not perfect but the difference is noticeable. I recommend doing this if anyone is having troubles with the game, or at least until a patch comes in to fix it.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

It seems like the frame rate is uncapped and is all over the place, rather than it actually being low. I played a little bit on my vita with standard framerate turned on (locked 30) and while hitching still occurred, the framerate was not as erratic.

wwfundertaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 25

I stopped playing the game after 90 minutes and i was so angry. The game kept hitching every 20 seconds and i cant believe it was released this way.

owen99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yeah me too, seemed to only really hit 30 when stood still. Moving around, especially running dropped it to its low teens. The hitching was really bad as well, if people have a pc that can run it then get it on that.

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

Apart from the (constant) hitches I felt like I was only hitting a good framerate when looking straight up into the sky and spinning in place. It feels like this game runs at a constant low frame rate - looking around feels real float-y and imprecise. The game also locked up my console when loading one of the later areas, which is just scary and because of it I personally wouldn't recommend turning of auto save. I'd honestly say if you have the option, buy it on Steam.

Ericjasonwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Ericjasonwade

Don't know if they released a patch yet but I did disabled the auto-save then played for a few hours (note still didn't play all that well but workable) and then it locked up while loading a new day. SOOOO, this in turn caused me to lose all my progress for those hours that I disabled the auto-save feature. Kind of a bummer, especially since this advice came directly from the developer, but I suppose that's the risk you would take in any game whilst turning off the auto-save.

I persevered! Game locked up again, so I put the application in suspension, not once, not twice, but three times and it resumed. So possibly a handy trick in case any of you out there find your game locked up and you're afraid of progress loss.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, I'm glad I bought this on PC and not PS4. What's the hotter mess, this or XCOM 2?

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RonGalaxy

The game just got an update on ps4 and it seems to be running fine now.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The game just got an update on ps4 and it seems to be running fine now.

Can some more people confirm this? (not that I don't believe you, just want to be sure :p) Because I want to play this game!

Avatar image for militantfreudian
    militantfreudian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@dussck: I haven't checked the early game stuff, but I just loaded my last save which is an end-game save, and it seems to be running significantly better. Prior to the patch, the game used to hitch when I turn around fast, and now it doesn't.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RonGalaxy

@dussck: after playing a bit more it still hitches in spots, but the framerate is pretty stable now. It's much better than it was.

Ericjasonwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Ericjasonwade

That's awesome! Unfortunately, Firewatch doesn't lend itself very well to replayability.

dikarddeckard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I decided to wait until the patch to play, and I'm glad I did. The game runs very well now on PS4, imo.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 bigsocrates  Online

I decided to wait until the patch to play, and I'm glad I did. The game runs very well now on PS4, imo.

Having just played it today I would definitely not say it runs very well. It has significant frame rate problems and other glitches including invisible walls, geometry that you can be stuck on (though I was able to get off it) and other technical issues. It's playable, and maybe much improved from the condition it launched in, but for anyone reading this after the fact it is still in far from good condition on the PS4. Not unplayable for the type of game it is, but if it had an action component (like if it was a shooter) it would be.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.