Flatout 2 is a multi-platform racing game developed by Bugbear Entertainment which sends you into a world of races, money and destructive mayhem. You will have to compete against 7 adversaries each with his own car preferences and racing style in order to earn the title of champion at the end of the racing tournament.
The gameplay, as in any other racing game offers a career mode, which you must beat in order to obtain new vehicles and tracks, the quick race mode which is pretty self-explanatory and last but not least features an online multiplayer component where you can compete against friends and/or other players.
The Career Mode as you probably expected gives you some money to buy a car and sets you on a series of races. The races differ and are grouped on several categories. The first category would be simple races which take place in landscapes like forests, deserts, cities, etc. The second category of races are the derbies which mean total obliteration. In order to win these races you must destroy all your enemies or cause the most destruction to your adversaries cars. The third category of races is the Stunts category which contains different wacky stunt to do. The special thing about them is that you use the driver as a projectile and you can control his flight trajectory...mentionable here would be stunts like Bowling, Royal Flush and Curling.
In order to win you will need to buy new cars and upgrade them with different car parts that become unlockable as you progress in the game. There are also 3 different categories for cars. First would be the Derby category; old, used but durable cars, very good in Derby races but slow otherwise. The second category is made of Race cars; better than the Derby cars and also pretty durable, they are balanced when it comes to speed an durability. Last there is the Street category; shiny cars which reach high speeds very fast but aren't as durable as the previously mentioned classes.
The soundtrack of FlatOut 2 consists in a very good mix of punk, hard rock and metal songs, which contribute perfectly to the game's destructive atmosphere. The songlist is as follows (in alphabetic order of artist):
- Alkalne Trio - "Fall Victim"
- Alkaline Trio - "Mercy Me"
- Audioslave - "Man or Animal"
- Audioslave - "Your Time Has Come"
- Fall Out Boy - "7 Minutes to Heaven"
- Fall Out Boy - "Snitches and Talkers get Stiches and Walkers"
- Megadeth - "Symphony of Destruction"
- Mötley Crue - "Dr. Feelgood"
- Nickleback - "Believe it or not"
- Nickleback - "Flat on the Floor"
- Papa Roach - "Blood Brothers"
- Papa Roach - "Not Listening"
- Rise Against - "Give it All"
- Rob Zombie - "Demon Speeding"
- Rob Zombie - "Feel so Numb"
- Supergrass - "Richard III"
- Supergrass - "Road to Rouen"
- The Chelsea Smiles - "Nowhere Ride"
- The Vines - "Don't Listen to the Radio"
- Underoath - "Reinventing Your Exit"
- Wolfmother - "Dimension"
- Wolfmother - "Pyramid"
- Yellowcard - "Breathing"
- Yellowcard - "Rough Landing Holly"
- Zebrahead - "Lobotomy for Dummies"
PC System Requirements
- OS: Windows XP/2000 XP SP2 / 2000 SP4 / Vista / 7
- Memory: 256 MB RAM
- Video: 64 MB* video card
- Processor: 2.0 GHz Pentium® 4 or AMD® 2000 processor
- Sound: DirectX compatible sound card, 3.5 GB free hard drive space
- Software: DirectX 9.0c
- Network: TCP/IP required for LAN play, 512kbs minimum, Broadband connection required
FlatOut 2 supports gamepads. Gamepad with 8 buttons minimum (to support all configurable game commands) is recommended.
* FlatOut 2 supports the following Chipsets, nVidia Geforce FX 5/6/7 series, ATI Radeon 9600 Pro/XT and above, ATI Radeon X200 and above. On-board/ integrated graphics cards and laptops not supported.
Log in to comment