Logging in via API for HD video access

LAR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By LAR

I'm wondering if there's going to be a way to log a user into the site via the api, or a key subscribers can generate for access HD videos.  (The later is preferable for security reasons.)  I'm looking into programatically downloading and provided content over a dnla server for the 360 or PS3.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 36

#2  Edited By LordAndrew

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/protected_video_url/3210/progressive/3500/ will give you a JSON response containing the video URL, and http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/protected_video_url/3210/progressive/3500/?download=1 will redirect you directly to the video. In order to view it, you will need the Key-Pair-Id. It looks like it's set to expire after a time though, so you'll need a new one periodically, and you can only get one if you're logged in as a subscriber. So you'll also have to supply a cookie if you want to get the Key-Pair-Id. Seems a bit complicated, but hopefully you can manage.

Edit: Replace 3210 with the ID of the video. 3500 is the quality, so don't mess with that one.

LAR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By LAR
@LordAndrew said:
"and you can only get one if you're logged in as a subscriber."
This is the part I'm wondering about.  I've skimmed the API, but haven't found any calls that would allow someone to log into the site outside of a web browser.  I suppose you could try sending a post to auth.wiskeymedia.com/login using the next parameter, but that seems like a hack (if it even works).
LAR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By LAR

This request can be ignored.  The RSS feeds Jeff mentioned on the Bombcast will accomplish what I want.

badedyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By badedyr
@LAR:
Where do you find an RSS feed for videos, that lets you access the HD edition of the video?
I'm trying to do the same as you, download .mp4 HD videos and/or access them for streaming.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
@badedyr said:
" @LAR: Where do you find an RSS feed for videos, that lets you access the HD edition of the video? I'm trying to do the same as you, download .mp4 HD videos and/or access them for streaming. "
The RSS feeds for video downloads aren't available yet. They're working on them.
badedyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By badedyr
@MattyFTM:
Thank you - ill wait and see if that makes it easier to access HD video that way around.