Is this the least hyped AAA release of all time?

• 123 results
Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

One of the things that bugs me about Assassin's Creed lately is that they've decided to keep the same basic design motif of the assassin all throughout different time periods. To wear a cloak and hood made sense in AC1 through Revelations, but with Revolution era France and Victorian London, eh not so much. It doesn't help you blend in with a crowd, it actually makes you stand out from it, which is obviously antithetical to what the character should be about.

dr_monocle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@hippie_genocide: I agree that it's a terrible disguise and I'd even include the first couple of games (some hooded figure showed up in Acre and a guy died! Maybe let's look for that hood?). I think, however, that's just the series' conceit; that's just where it's a "video game." As goofy as it is the gimmick still works for me 'cause it gives some overarching unity (pun sorta intended) to the protagonists of these games. This one large clandestine organization that's been present throughout history and they have a uniform!

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

i watched the first hour or so of this and it actually looked pretty good. like, it didn't really differ from the ac formula in any way other than the two protagonists, but it looked really solid. it seems weird that it's being buried this much tbh

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

Might have already been mentioned by anyone know when the review embargo is up? Heard it was today but wanted to know for sure. Decided to wait and see what folks say about it.

Technician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By Technician

@machofantastico: Reviews are expected in about 30 minutes. http://www.opencritic.com/#!home

j4yk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm surprised people still care about the series.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By Steadying

9 from GameSpot....huh

MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

9 from GameSpot....huh

o.O

Well that is a surprise, the talk I was hearing beforehand was that it was a bit of a mess again. Guess you shouldn't listen to the internet after all :D

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just got the game in the post, I'm eager to start playing!

MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By MachoFantastico

As much I was adore the London setting I was all ready to skip this one after Unity, but hearing it's got a more Assassin's Creed 2 feel to it as me intrigued. Was going to wait for the PC release but might end up just getting it for PS4 tomorrow.

Game Informer gave it a 9/10 to. Interesting read.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@steadying said:

9 from GameSpot....huh

o.O

Well that is a surprise, the talk I was hearing beforehand was that it was a bit of a mess again. Guess you shouldn't listen to the internet after all :D

By comparison, while Gamespot didn't mention anything about bugs or the game being a mess, but Videogamer gave it a 5/10 and said it's about as broken as last years release. Both sites reviewed the PS4 copy. It seems like Gamespots review isn't mentioning anything technical about the game like bugs or frame rate, which is odd to me. We all know that Ubigames are known to be hit and miss with this things and are more often miss than not. Excluding even saying that the game runs well seems a bit odd.

But so far it looks like it's getting high marks all around from the usual sites, with Videogamer being the outliers down the bottom.

StrawHat_NPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Wow it sounds like it's actually good. I wonder if how poor unity was will effect sales much. Seems like it will with how little people seem to care about the release. I didn't even know it was coming soon until Jeff said it on the bombcast last week.

pcorb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beefygrandmole: I'd be very surprised if sales weren't affected significantly. Unity's sales weren't really impacted at all by the whole fiasco: combined with Rouge, it did pretty much the same business as Black Flag and AC III had (10m+ sales). I'd guess that part of the reason for the lack of fanfare around this release is that Ubisoft have figured that spending a ton on marketing would possibly be throwing good money after bad.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Heads up fellow Canucks: EB Games in Canada is giving a copy of AC Unity free with orders (preorders? I dunno) for AC Syndicate. I wonder if Gamestop in the US is doing the same thing.

GStats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've seen almost nothing online. Maybe they've concluded they gain nothing by advertising to the hardcore gamers and sticking to TV ads or something?

sudo_melon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm interested to see whether this game will pay for the sins of Unity.

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By ViciousReiven

@sudo_melon: A single game can't fix a bad reputation, regardless of quality, it can make up for it a little by not succumbing to the same issues, but you can't mend bad faith that easily.

I'm willing to bet this game will get unfairly treated just because people will be looking at it through a much harsher critical lens after Unity.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its paying for the sins of Revelations onwards, to be fair. Black Flag being the exception that was boosted by new console launches. The formula is eating itself and the pull of a new, beautiful environment means less and less as the games churn out.

Rotnac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I don't know about least hyped of all time. I feel like Modern Warfare 3 had around the same lack of hype (or lower) than AC:S.

hellerphant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

To be honest, I forgot it even existed. Woke up on released day, opened my email and had a code waiting from Ubisoft. I was surprised, then I was skeptical because I got it day of release. Pleasantly surprised when booting it up and playing a few hours this morning, so far it's pretty good.

deanoxd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I have put in more then 10 into AC:S on PS4 and have not experience and technical issues, so not sure what videogamer is talking about in their review. And i am really liking the game i think the positive review scores are warranted.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wait syndicate was hyped? diddent know. i mean i knew it was comming out but i diddent know when and i diddent care. since i pretty much assumed it was going to be mediocre
and fallout 4, black ops 3 and uncharted are more hyped and are still comming out on a later so no