New Bombcast image (pronounced ih-mahzghj)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

elcalavera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

@kerned said:

@winternet: @bisonhero: @bigjeffrey: Alright, I reordered the names to match the images. I had, as @bisonhero assumed, ordered the names by podcast tenure (or something like that anyway) but straight up names-to-faces does seem to work better. Thanks for the suggestion!

No Caption Provided

Yeah, wow. This is just too good!

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#202  Edited By Teddie
No Caption Provided

My "entry", but the competition blows it out of the water. Some awesome work so far duders.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#203  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@teddie: It might not have stick figures in it, but I think yours is pretty good. My only criticism would be that Patrick looks a little too much like a stoner, which...well...never mind.

UncleDisco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#204  Edited By UncleDisco

@teddie said:

My "entry", but the competition blows it out of the water. Some awesome work so far duders.

Don't sell yourself short, duder. It's fucking awesome, could totally see this end up winning.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#205  Edited By MEATBALL

@teddie said:
No Caption Provided

I think this is my favourite so far.

WalkerTR77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

So many great entries. I hope that Ryan at least uses a selection of them for event podcasts like E3 so they get their due.

gatehouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@kerned said:

@winternet: @bisonhero: @bigjeffrey: Alright, I reordered the names to match the images. I had, as @bisonhero assumed, ordered the names by podcast tenure (or something like that anyway) but straight up names-to-faces does seem to work better. Thanks for the suggestion!

No Caption Provided

I'd been super in support of the Persona caricatures before, but this is just too damn good not to win.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@elcalavera said:

@kerned said:

No Caption Provided

I'd been super in support of the Persona caricatures before, but this is just too damn good not to win.

I'm totally with you. Sorry Persona art, you have met your match.

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

@teddie: Brad's expression alone makes this my personal favorite. I should try making one this weekend, too.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Persona characters were best until I saw @kerned's.

expensiveham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211  Edited By expensiveham

@teddie said:
No Caption Provided

easily the best

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

#212  Edited By tearhead

@meatball said:

@teddie said:
No Caption Provided

I think this is my favourite so far.

Yeah, this one's great.

leinad44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#213  Edited By leinad44

@teddie said:
No Caption Provided

This is the winner for me.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teddie said:
No Caption Provided

This is really good, I like it :)

breenmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teddie: This is genuinely awesome.

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#216  Edited By hockeymask27

@teddie said:
No Caption Provided

Dat brad

B0nd07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#217  Edited By B0nd07

I've reworked my third entry a bit.

No Caption Provided

I do not envy Ryan's position right now. Some very strong competition in here.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

If I had to choose I'd genuinely not be capable of doing it.

Conmused

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219  Edited By Conmused

@b0nd07: so my one suggestion would be to slightly fudge the focus on hair-based silhouettes, and give Jeff, Brad, and Patrick a jawline. Doesn't have to be a thick outline, just some kind of distinguishing line-work to give their heads more definition. Also, Patrick seems to have the neck of a linebacker. Or maybe a tiny head. (Honestly, it may already be perfectly to scale. I haven't checked.)

Edit: Also, for people asking about deadlines, obviously it's at Ryan's whims, but I'd say probably sometime Monday or Tuesday? Whenever he has to put the art in the next podcast file.

Also, has anyone contacted the 'Persona 4 art guy' to see if he's cool with someone else winning a contest using his art?

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

I think I'd rather just pay Kat to commission a decent replacement, myself.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@zaccheus said:

@gatehouse said:

@elcalavera said:

@kerned said:

No Caption Provided

I love it, perfect.

ProfessorK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zaccheus said:

@gatehouse said:

@elcalavera said:

@kerned said:

No Caption Provided

I love it, perfect.

Sooooo good. The only thing that could make it better would be throwing a <> somewhere in there lol.

FunkasaurasRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teddie said:

No Caption Provided

I really like this one; only gripe is that Jeff doesn't look quite as crazy as I'd expect (wild hair, track suit and shutter shades would've been great). Still rad though.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teddie said:
No Caption Provided

Patrick looks so super, super shady in this one :D
I like it a whole lot!

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225  Edited By s-a-n-JR

Here comes a new challenger!

No Caption Provided

And here's a version without text:

No Caption Provided

Edit: Updated the microphone and added some extra detail.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#226  Edited By TheMasterDS

@regal said:

@millerwakka said:
Threw this one together for funzies.
Threw this one together for funzies.

@wacomole said:
Viva La Revolucion!
Viva La Revolucion!

Unfortunately I heard about this very late but I still wanted to participate somehow, so I threw in some heads I drew back in the RivalVideoGameSite days.

Whatever happened to that amazing painting that a user sent in at the end of last year. The movie poster type one one with Patrick in the background? That would be a great image to use.

@conmused said:
No Caption Provided

When the world ends, there will be two things: Cockroaches, and Bombcasts

It is definitely down to these three so far. I really love the flat, matt colours and texture on these, especially conmused and millerwakka. They also don't have 'Giant Bomb' or the official logo on them, which I consider a plus. I disagree with those who say they should make it look like the logo, the eyes are really stupid and conmused bomb looks hell of a lot better (and way less cluttered) than the actual logo. If anything they should change the logo. I like that Millers' doesn't have the crew featured or named since when, you know, Brad leaves they would need new artwork otherwise.

I think it is time for more recap in this vein.

@kerned said:
No Caption Provided

@teddie said:
No Caption Provided

Actually guess there wasn't much to recap. And also you can just click any image and see all the images in a topic. Didn't know that was all the images in a topic and not just all the images on the page, that's really nice. (edit: Wait, no, there was just a lot of images on one page) Still I think right now it's down to these 5. Including the last one as, despite being rather safe and traditional, its got some style. I like the stars around The Giant. Very good work from everyone, love the higher concept takes on the Bombcast. The first one is probably my favorite. It even has the rainbow again. Sort of. Different colors. Ryan should use that one. Or the Jazz one. Or maybe the 5th if drawings of the Giant Bomb crew must be in it. 2 I don't like as much as the others. 3 I think is too similar to the Dumptruck art.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227  Edited By Winternet

@themasterds: Just a reminder that @conmused official entry is the one without "&". At least, that's what I think it is. If it isn't, it should be.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 2

This one gets my vote...so good!

@lava said:

I used SupernormalStep's Images to put this together. I wish we could get a high-res version of the new logo Alexis did a great job with.

No Caption Provided

This is my vote. It's incredible.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

@winternet: There, I have edited my quoting of the first recap post for that one. All better. I still prefer the others though for one reason or another.

You know I wish that quoting didn't make images look all strange after a few quotes. It makes things look all strange.

Conmused

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230  Edited By Conmused
No Caption Provided

Playing around with a few variants. I kind of felt mine needed a little more to the background. EDIT: Can someone tell me how well the vinyl ridges show up? I have two monitors, and it looks wildly different in each one.

Also, my official entry is whichever one Ryan wants it to be.

First version

Second Version (without the &)

Third Version (record attempt 1)

Fourth Version (shown here)

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231  Edited By Winternet

@conmused: Oh well done, with the Vinyl record one. Pretty slick.

MutenMiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#232  Edited By MutenMiller

Edited mine to address some issues. Lightened the bomb to make the texture come through, removed the corner tears because they looked bootsy, and generally tweaked it. Continued to wrestle with the age old question "Should Bomb Have A Face?" but just couldn't get it to work in this style.

No Caption Provided

@teddie:

I love it! Great expression of character. Maybe the background could be flashed up a little? Nothing complicated, just... I dunno. Love it, though!

ShadowVirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

I'm not much of a drawer but I tried my hand at some original art. I'm not really sure why I chose Dungeons and Dragons for them to play?

No Caption Provided

Although to be honest I'm in love with @teddie's promo image and feel that his deserves to win.

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@conmused said:
No Caption Provided

Playing around with a few variants. I kind of felt mine needed a little more to the background. EDIT: Can someone tell me how well the vinyl ridges show up? I have two monitors, and it looks wildly different in each one.

The ridges show up OK. Very nice.

My only suggestion(s) would be to maybe shrink the label a tiny bit so that you can add a ridge-less (but still highlighted) lead out ring around the label for "authenticity". Maybe consider adding back the hole in the middle (or a metal spindle with shadow)?

I had a couple of ideas but I've got too much work on at the moment to do anything with them, so if anyone wants to take a crack at running with them, feel free.

[1] A microphone in a pool of light that has a reflection that is a joystick.

[2] A close up of a hand (wearing a big gaudy gold "bomb logo" ring) dropping not a mic but a joystick.

Just a thought.

Cheers.

Psycho_Rich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#235  Edited By Psycho_Rich

@sanj said:

Here comes a new challenger!

No Caption Provided

This is the winner for me so far. Really like the look of this one. Well done sir.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#236  Edited By ArbitraryWater

@teddie said:
No Caption Provided

This one is pretty great. Gives the LP cover a run for its money.

bassman2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 12

@madscientist18 said:

This one gets my vote...so good!

@lava said:

I used SupernormalStep's Images to put this together. I wish we could get a high-res version of the new logo Alexis did a great job with.

No Caption Provided

This is my vote. It's incredible.

I've looked through all of the images, and this one still stands out as my favorite.

kinapuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238  Edited By kinapuff

Ryan needs to put an end to this already, as it's just getting harder and harder by each page with all of these amazing submissions. Jesus!

B0nd07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@conmused: I'll have to check my source image again, but it is quite possible I stopped at Patrick's shirt collar rather than his neck. As for Jeff and Brad, yeah, I'll see what I can do.

rynbeed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

+1

@kerned said:

What if the Bombcast was a jazz album from the 1960s?

No Caption Provided

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241  Edited By s-a-n-JR
Conmused

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242  Edited By Conmused
No Caption Provided

@wacomole: Gave it a shot with a hole in the middle, but it got lost in the darkness of the bomb. So here it is with a spindle.

EDIT: Updated to add an arm/needle, too.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@lava: Not only should this be used for the bomcast image but just about everywhere else. Brilliant image that's freaking awesome.

Butler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not much of a drawer but I tried my hand at some original art. I'm not really sure why I chose Dungeons and Dragons for them to play?

No Caption Provided

Although to be honest I'm in love with @teddie's promo image and feel that his deserves to win.

Love it. I've been dying for Dave, Drew, Vinny, and whoever else they can dig up to run a game in that podcast room it would be perfect for it.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245 chaser324  Moderator

@teddie: Don't sell yourself short. Look at the response. You're totally a front runner!

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Although some of the others entries may have taken more time to make, I just love @kerned's jazz album entry. If that one doesn't win, then I'll probably just add that one to my iTunes. I love it man!

Also I just wanna say that it's really awesome to see so many creative people on Giant Bomb.

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@conmused: Yep, I like it. You even got the bounced light from the label on the needle. Great stuff.

It never ceases to amaze me how many great contributions these threads tend to turn out.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#248  Edited By I_smell
Bombcast falling art
Bombcast falling art

Guess I don't really have my art hat on today, I could probably make em look more like the guys...

(tbh I jus wanted to join in)

Lava

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

@fox01313: Hey thanks man!

I would go through and thank everyone for their kind words but there are just so many! Thanks a lot! There are so many great ones here! I love when the community does this.

zoozilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#250  Edited By zoozilla

@teddie said:
No Caption Provided

This one is amazing. Looks like Jeff's pulling a Johnny Bravo.

@i_smell said:
Bombcast falling art
Bombcast falling art

This is really nice too, if the logo were higher-res it'd be up there.