The Giant Bombcast: Live and In Color, Starting July 26, 2016

cerberus3dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By cerberus3dog

Cool to see video. Maybe I'll use it to see video from certain moments I liked from the weeks bombcast.

RyanMacouver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't wait for self-driving cars so I can actually have the time to watch one of these.

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Never really expected GB to do a video podcast but it's nice to now have another option for listening to my favorite duders take about games and shit.

Wonder how many audio only listeners will be mind blown when they get their first look at Jeff, Brad, Dan and Drew.

Bill_P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By Bill_P

This is awesome! I never imagined them sitting so close together. Drew does really well to join in and produce at the same time. Brad, Jeff and Dan really hold it down, though. Don't know why, but podcasting seems easy from afar, but when you see it, you can see it's really not.

r3dt1d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Looks like they're podcasting on a pool table at first glance.

Duxa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

As long as the audio version stays available.. have zero interest in watching 3 to 4 dudes sittin at a table talking. Really dont see a point of this.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It will be pretty cool to be able to interact with the chat during the livestream, assuming it will be open.

halberdierv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

Yes Please. maybe do a 5 min live question segment too as well?

Deadlydog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By Deadlydog

Is there still going to be an audio archive? Edit: Also again your audio quality is a bit muffled still. Go back and listen to the podcast two weeks before e3. The audio is less crisp.

kippers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By kippers

Really looking froward to this!

6pm in the UK may be a difficult time for me to catch entire shows live, but I'll try.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grithor said:

It will be pretty cool to be able to interact with the chat during the livestream, assuming it will be open.

Think they've already said heeeeellll noooo to that when all this started?

AzureGale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#113  Edited By AzureGale

I'll give the video podcast a few whirls. If it means we can see just how everyone reacted in moments like these, I'm for it.

Loading Video...
enemymouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Your move, Beastcast!

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drew are you manually switching cameras or do they switch based on who's mic is getting used?

lkpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like this a lot!

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@efesell said:
@grithor said:

Think they've already said heeeeellll noooo to that when all this started?

I can confirm a big heeeeellll noooo to any view or awareness of the chat on our part.

lethalki11ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

That's awesome, guess I get to listen to you guys twice a week (commute with the podcast and smoke break with the video)

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brad: I should have worded that better. I definitely don't expect you guys to read chat or acknowledge it, just that it is available during the stream.

Nardak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yay for Dans pulsing eyebrows.

Thuggish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HOORAY!

noizy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

we're finally going to know what you guys look like!

wibby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes! I am so pumped for this!

Isslander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I jumped randomly into the test video to have a look and of course straight into an Inside spoiler.

Generally though, this is cool and everything but I will barely use it. Too used to having the Bombcast in my ears when working.

BasketSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Get an aeropress and never look back. I'm dead serious.

paulunga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Awesome!

texus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By texus

But will it be in VR??

Chillicothe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Who are these handsome gents in my Bombcast? WHAT? This is what they look like!?! Amaaaaaaaaaaazing!

kavukavu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope they manage to stick to Jeff's word that this will not become a big video-first feature. This podcast is the best thing ever to listen to on a drive.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#130  Edited By csl316

Oh, cool. Just remember to ACT NATURAL AT ALL TIMES.

mattimus_prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is totally ruining my perception of their body language while podcasting.

PoorTommy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Oh, man. Drew's job on the Bombcast looks hard.

And congrats to all you gents. Not to sell this transition short, but this will all seem like small pittance when we inevitably receive Bombcast VR in 2024.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to miss those once in a lifetime emails about, "What we think the crew look like."

Avatar image for deactivated-642313144b62a
deactivated-642313144b62a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not sure on the wording, but for the premium members, can we watch the whole recorded show later? Or are we only going to see the "podcast" part of the video?

b33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is breaking reality. There are only voices in the Giant Bombcast.

Fatal_Error

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By Fatal_Error

is this only for giant bombcast, or does it include the best cast?

edit: some may say Beast cast..

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice, tbh i haven't really been listening to the podcasts the last couple years regularly but this is my ideal way to experience them honestly. I watch most giantbomb stuff on my tablet now so catching an archive is ideal.

ColdPizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool, but I'm still probably just going to listen to it in my car.

KgKris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is @drewbert psychic? How does he know who is going to speak before they open their mouths???

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yeah this is great if they don't have awareness of the cameras or interface w/users. it'll be the same, just live and we get to see their reactions.

ill probably still digest it mostly in audio form (i say now...), but this will be a lot of fun now and then.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

also we need a clock and calendar in the background to prove they are doing it on Tuesday.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Now do the Beastcast!

godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

I'm into this, maybe even twice!

flippyandnod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drewbert I heard you talking about hum, USB cable and MacBooks on the podcast.

The reason detaching that cable fixed your problem is you have a ground loop. That means that in your system you have multiple ground points which aren't at the same voltage.

You mentioned detaching the USB cable fixed the problem but wondered why that is when the cable had a choke/ferrite bead/inductor/filter on it. Those are used to block AC signals, that is signals with a frequency, typically a high frequency. When you hear beeps, chirps, etc. due to electronic noise, those are high frequencies or at least relatively high frequencies causing those. A ferrite bead used properly will fix those.

But you have a DC problem. The grounds are at different DC voltages. A bead cannot block those. You can block those using capacitive coupling, but that can be problematic to add on. Another way (that Jeff aluded to) is the to use a transformer, like an "audio matching" transformer or similar. Someone who did car stereos might know about that and Jeff seemed to reference that. The problem with using a transformer in this case is that transformers have a cutoff frequency. As long as you are passing audio only over the transformer you can make this work, but with USB you are passing very high frequency signals and it really won't work.

So what you need to do is to eliminate the ground loop. There are two ways to do this. With properly made audio equipment the right way to do it is to bond all the grounds in your system together with a nice thick ground wire, like 14 or 12 gauge. Then all the grounds will be equalized to the same voltage and the loop is (probably) gone. Significant current might flow through the bond, that's why you use thick wire. But the problem with this is that if there is intentional current flow over a connection then the grounds will still differ for reasons I won't get into. And with USB the device is probably drawing power, so that means intentional current flow.

So you use the other fix. That is lifting all the grounds but one. That means that every ground but one becomes a non-ground and all the devices then ground through that one connection. This is only okay if there is not significant power draw across the devices, because this means that devices will be using each other as a path to ground. In your case, this should be fine.

Now, let's talk about how to do it and MacBooks in general. In a MacBook, the audio ground (more accurately called an audio return or reference) is capacitively coupled, so you don't have to worry about it. EXCEPT that if you have an audio device that you connect that has a metal face on the plug (on the part of the plug you grab) then that metal face can touch the laptop case and that case is directly grounded, not capacitively coupled. To fix that, either pull the plug out very slightly (half a mm will do it) or paint the face of the plug with nail polish to form an insulator. Or put one of those paper hole punch reinforcers on the laptop or plug face instead of nail polish.

Next step is to to lift the power ground to the wall. The easiest way to do this is to just unplug the MacBook. It has a battery in it so it'll still work. The problem is now the MacBook will run down. So to fix that, stop using the 3-prong cord on your laptop power supply. Switch from that to the 2-prong mini-blades you got wth the power supply. This doesn't have a ground, so it lifts the laptop ground.

If you use the 2-prong power blades and make sure the audio cable (and anything else conductive) isn't touching the MacBook case, then your hum should go away even with the USB cord attached. Now you just have to check to make sure the laptop case isn't live (with a meter or simply by touching it) and you should be good to go.

For more info or how to find out about some more details behind this problem and similar ones, you can message me.

linkster7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It feels like the guys are looking at me when they are looking at Drew, it's kinda unsettling.

frogtastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Snooooooker table!

Peleus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By Peleus

I assume that is 11am PST which means they will start just as i get home from work.