Where did Brett come from?

• 66 results
MankMachinery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I totally missed something somewhere along the line here. What's up with the Jeff/Brett business?

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Didn't an emailer new to Giant Bomb refer to Jeff as Brett? That sounds familiar.

flight815

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Brett is the newest GB hire. I know it can be confusing when listening to the Bombcast. They sound very similar.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

@flstyle said:

Didn't an emailer new to Giant Bomb refer to Jeff as Brett? That sounds familiar.

Yeah this happened.

Brett is the newest GB hire. I know it can be confusing when listening to the Bombcast. They sound very similar.

This also totally happened. Which makes it very confusing indeed.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Yup, glad to finally announce that they hired me. Because I was the first person named Brett to respond to this thread.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Loading Video...

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@bigjeffrey: Man, Jeff just rolling with it is so great. I'm so glad that they're keeping this alive.

slax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@bigjeffrey: Oh man, this was the best! Calls him Brett on multiple occasions which really sells it.

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Wasn't Brett one of the guys they hired from Gameinformer? Apparently he applied independently of Dan and Jason so it was one big coincidence that he ended up there too.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By nightriff

I appreciate that Brad just didn't correct it, but went with what the dude wrote. Jeff being the comedy genius that he is, just rolled with it and it really worked between them. If someone wrote in and mistakenly called Dan...that's say Fran, he would've corrected it and missed out on the humor.

RPJeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Brett's hate makes me feel justified.

pcorb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nightriff: That's the weirdest Dan burn I've seen on these forums. Congrats?

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nightriff said:

I appreciate that Brad just didn't correct it, but went with what the dude wrote. Jeff being the comedy genius that he is, just rolled with it and it really worked between them. If someone wrote in and mistakenly called Dan...that's say Fran, he would've corrected it and missed out on the humor.

If you'll allow me to overanalyze for a bit, I've noticed that a few different roles seem to emerge on podcasts with impromptu comedic bits:

• Jeff, Vinny, and Ryan are the type of people that can take the kernel of a funny idea and turn it into a great bit. They'll just take an idea and run with it, and make the sort of extended segment that gets turned into an animated Youtube video, e.g. the Nintendo "NEVER" lady. It's not often that Brad or somebody brings that kind of continued enthusiasm to a bit.
  • Brad, Patrick, Drew, Alex, and Dan are more the type to add a bit of fuel to the fire when a good bit is going (e.g. Jeff said "Yoshi T. Koopalingus" and then Dan took it ever farther), but rarely if ever are they the progenitor of a classic bit. They tend to be a little more matter of fact in their reaction to things, and unlike the previous type, they don't have as much of a natural inclination to think "What's so completely absurd about this situation that I could ridicule it for at least a couple minutes?"

Though Dan is kind of in his own weird category, because he has so many misadventures that his life is like some ongoing cosmic joke, so any time he tells an anecdote about something he did it's like he's letting us in on it, and it's like this weird accidental comedy. (OK, probably not fair to Dan, it does take a certain amount of comedic craft to frame a factual anecdote in such a way that it's funny to the listeners, and Dan is decent at it.)

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@bisonhero: This is a great and I think accurate breakdown, though in regards to himself, like you say, Dan can be in the first camp. I do miss some of the insane riffing that would come from Vinny and Ryan being on the podcast with Jeff because it could get so damn funny and weird. Now it's more Jeff freaking out/being crazy and the other guys kind of fueling him or reacting off him like you say. It's fun but different. Maybe not as hilarious but still makes for a great podcast.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By Sterling

Brett has overtaken Jeff as the ad man. Hes all about the ads.

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 7

In a strange twist, Brett actually loves Yoshi's Island. Haha.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Brett's the ultimate dudebro name. Sorry (?) moosey.

Dalerax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sterling: Am I doing myself a disservice by listening to the premium Bombcast with no ads?

dprotp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dalerax said:

@sterling: Am I doing myself a disservice by listening to the premium Bombcast with no ads?

In most cases! I've always listened to the non-premium podcasts after the ad-less version went up, and the ads are super cheeky. They're consistently entertaining!

CDUB901

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dalerax said:

Absolutely! I've been a premium member for over a year now and I never listen to the premium bombcast. The ads can be quite hilarious because they aren't scripted like most other podcasts. Jeff just picks some royalty free music and just wings it in one take.

If they fuck up or laugh uncontrollably then whatever, it's in the ad.

SpaceRunaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SpaceRunaway

Brett is actually the guy they brought in to read Ryan from Ireland's email.

Travis_J

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wasn't Brett Doctor Tracksuit's manager's assistant or something? I think I remember that somewhere. He's also really into live-tweeting his fanboat commutes to work.

Dalerax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cdub901: @dprotp: Well I guess I'll go back to listening to the ads. Thanks guys!

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Um I think Brett came from Petaluma originally.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f0e8dcf3078d
deactivated-5f0e8dcf3078d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well you see it all started when Fame Douglass started a martial arts tournament...

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I love the way Brett says baseball.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

A bombcast without ADS isn't a real bombcast.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

George Brett appeared cause Dan leaked his poop story on the internet.

JRM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@jrm:

How valiantly principled of you.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dprotp said:

@dalerax said:

In most cases! I've always listened to the non-premium podcasts after the ad-less version went up, and the ads are super cheeky. They're consistently entertaining!

@jeff CC: They're calling your ad reads "super cheeky."

vikingdeath1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess it's still just me, but I always pictured it being spelled "Bret".... But if every comment in this thread is any indication, I suppose it's officially "Brett"

pkmnfrk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just want to see Brett get more screen time. He'd probably play pretty well off of Brad, based on the ads I've heard.

#pushbrett

Avatar image for thelastgunslinger
thelastgunslinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@nightriff said:

If you'll allow me to overanalyze for a bit, I've noticed that a few different roles seem to emerge on podcasts with impromptu comedic bits:

• Jeff, Vinny, and Ryan are the type of people that can take the kernel of a funny idea and turn it into a great bit. They'll just take an idea and run with it, and make the sort of extended segment that gets turned into an animated Youtube video, e.g. the Nintendo "NEVER" lady. It's not often that Brad or somebody brings that kind of continued enthusiasm to a bit.
  • Brad, Patrick, Drew, Alex, and Dan are more the type to add a bit of fuel to the fire when a good bit is going (e.g. Jeff said "Yoshi T. Koopalingus" and then Dan took it ever farther), but rarely if ever are they the progenitor of a classic bit. They tend to be a little more matter of fact in their reaction to things, and unlike the previous type, they don't have as much of a natural inclination to think "What's so completely absurd about this situation that I could ridicule it for at least a couple minutes?"

Though Dan is kind of in his own weird category, because he has so many misadventures that his life is like some ongoing cosmic joke, so any time he tells an anecdote about something he did it's like he's letting us in on it, and it's like this weird accidental comedy. (OK, probably not fair to Dan, it does take a certain amount of comedic craft to frame a factual anecdote in such a way that it's funny to the listeners, and Dan is decent at it.)

That's why they work so well together, especially in my opinion, Alex and Vinny. You've got Vinny's absurdity which Alex plays the perfect straight-man to.

Retris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Pretty sure this is Brett. Nobody is as rad as Brett.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@dudeglove: Business Man who asks employees "Why?"

Canadian doing drugs on camera while playing Uno on Xbox Live.

"If only I could take some points off my golf score, heh heh gwaha gyarfarfah stocks and bonds!"

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Isn't Brett Gurtsman that guy that Jeff Keighley has on his show from time to time?

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#44  Edited By Anund

@mlarrabee said:

@dprotp said:

@dalerax said:

@jeff CC: They're calling your ad reads "super cheeky."

I listen to the regular Bombcast as well. The ads themselves are sometimes entertaining, however, my issue is with the constant breaks. They ruin the flow of the conversation and just generally make the podcast worse, and unfortunately, the ad free version of the podcast doesn't alleviate this problem. I honestly wish they would limit themselves to having commercials at the beginning and/or end of the podcast, or, if they HAVE to have ads in the middle, just edit them in afterwards, don't interrupt the discussion to insert them. It's so jarring every time an interesting line of conversation is interrupted by Brad saying it's time for a break.

erhard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You want someone to explain what is clearly a joke? Why?

pkjr92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anund said:

I listen to the regular Bombcast as well. The ads themselves are sometimes entertaining, however, my issue is with the constant breaks. They ruin the flow of the conversation and just generally make the podcast worse, and unfortunately, the ad free version of the podcast doesn't alleviate this problem. I honestly wish they would limit themselves to having commercials at the beginning and/or end of the podcast, or, if they HAVE to have ads in the middle, just edit them in afterwards, don't interrupt the discussion to insert them. It's so jarring every time an interesting line of conversation is interrupted by Brad saying it's time for a break.

I personally love the idea of the ads just interrupting without the need for a segue, but that might be jarring to more casual listeners. Maybe they could edit in the segue as well, and just place ads between topics. It's a little more work for Brad, I suppose, but it would keep the ads from messing with the flow of conversation and would allow the Premium Bombcasts to also keep that flow and be unaffected.

I will always listen to the ad-supported ones though, the ads are part of the show.

yippeed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So is everyone just going to build up Brett's profile so that we eventually conduct a seance and see what happens?

JRM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drebin_893: I am valliantly principled because I said fuck ads? While I admire the shitty attempt at sarcasm, it's still a bit of a reach.

Avatar image for the_last_starfighter
The_Last_Starfighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New hire, he doesn't have a lot of air time but he did do a live Quick Look of Frog Fractions 2, unfortunately it wasn't archived as the file corrupted so if you missed it you're outta' luck.