A thread to discuss Roku issues

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Hey all,

I apologize that the Roku app has been acting up for many of you; I was hoping that the encoder changes we pushed out recently would resolve some of those issues but I definitely am hearing that the app is not working super well for many of you, or crashing on launch.

There are some options here if the official app isn't loading right. If the app is completely not working at all, you might try uninstalling and reinstalling. If not, either the beta channel:

https://www.giantbomb.com/forums/bug-reporting-33/roku-app-issues-5222020-1808125/?page=3#js-message-126

Or the Bombermin fan-created app:

https://www.reddit.com/r/giantbomb/comments/gccoz1/new_unofficial_roku_channel_released_bombermin/

MIGHT work, but I'm told you might need to do some Roku Dev witchcraft to install this third-party app as Roku has been steadily shutting down third-party apps in recent months.

If those steps don't work for you, please let me know in the thread here (and if the app is working fine for you, that'd be handy to know as well). I'll try to get some engineering time parsed out to look into the Roku and see if there are easy fixes, but that might take some time, and is kind of reliant on Roku, as well, I think. They've been difficult to work with in the past, as the last time we talked to them about apps they said they'd require us to build in a path to sign up for Premium in the app to display Premium content, with them taking a 20% cut of the proceeds. Unfortunately that's never seemed like a great use of engineering time since we're pretty sure most people find out about Giant Bomb on the web and sign up for other apps/devices to watch it after they know who we are, rather than the other way around. We got around it with the beta app and the third-party app was useful for a while but Roku seems to be locking down a lot of those workarounds lately.

But please let me know if either of the above work for you and I'll continue poking into it; just won't have a firm ETA on a solution for a while, I doubt. Apologies!

Afro_Stevens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I got it working with the beta channel, never got it to work with the regular one, it would just show the logo and then go back to the home screen. Beta app works great!

Sampsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The official Roku app worked OK for a while but last month it kept logging me out and wouldn't let me log back in. I remove the app but now when I reinstall, it pops the logo for a moment before going back to the Roku Home Screen. Tried this more than a few times and it's always the same.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I tried the official app on a HiSense 43" Roku TV two days ago. It loaded a black screen and then crashed.

rcoletea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, I have the same issue. Logo comes up then goes back to the home screen.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@rorie: Last time I tried it was a couple months ago and it would just crash (after working on a different TV for over a year). I'll try to add it again this week and post what my results are.

rcoletea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I installed the beta app and linked it to my account. No more crashing and I get premium videos. If I have any other issues l will let you know. Thanks!

ReadyPlayerOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After working well for the past month or so, noticed tonight that all videos are now locked - same problem as a few months back. Clicking on any video indicates you need to link your Premium credentials, which I've already done forever ago.

Guessing someone messed up the feed again.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After working well for the past month or so, noticed tonight that all videos are now locked - same problem as a few months back. Clicking on any video indicates you need to link your Premium credentials, which I've already done forever ago.

Yeah I think something's up with the video encoder, maybe, I'll see what I can figure out. Sorry for the trouble!

ReadyPlayerOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie said:
@readyplayerone said:

Yeah I think something's up with the video encoder, maybe, I'll see what I can figure out. Sorry for the trouble!

Thanks! Everything started working again today - not sure what changed but at least ok temporarily.