I keep getting a "Congratulations Dear Charter Communications User" scam tab whenever I watch videos on GB.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

So this has happened to me 3 times now. But whenever I watch a recorded video on Giant Bomb's webpage, I have had this scam tab pop up that says "Congratulations Charter Communication User on getting free service." It happened when I watched the archive of the last UPF, the latest Ranking of Fighters and Vinny and Alex's Blade Runner Playdate. Its a tab that comes up from only when I've watched the videos and it'll play this Royality Free Fairy Sound Effect whenever it pops up as the GB video plays, like it makes a "Waa-LAAAA" sound. I have never fallen for the scam and have closed the tab every time. I also don't use Charter Communications.

I checked my settings on Microsoft Edge to see if the Pop Up Blocker is off but its on. I even ran a virus scan and the report says I have no viruses. Once again, this has happened only when I have watched GB videos on my laptop. It has never happened when I am watching GB content on mobile. I'm not sure if anyone else is having this problem but I had this happen in the past 2 days. Is there any way for me to fix this or is this a problem on Giant Bomb's end? I just wanted to post this issue to see if the engineering team at GB knows about this problem or if this is the first time they've heard of it. Thanks for reading this bug report and hopefully this problem can be resolved.

PeezMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

Your flair says you're a premium member and you're running an adblocker on top of that, so there's no way you should be getting ads here. So either you've got some malware somewhere or GB has a cross-site scripting vulnerability, but since the forums cup does not runneth over with reports of this, I'm leaning toward the former.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

@mocbucket62: I have not heard this problem from anyone else, so I'm inclined to assume that this be an issue with your laptop or some kind of malware/adware? We do have some bad ads slip through from time to time, but I don't believe CBS allows popups in any form in the ad network, and as mentioned above, if you're Premium you really shouldn't be seeing any ads at all.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

@littlepeanut: Are you seeing this same behavior? Same ad and everything?