Weird posts showing up in forum.

The_Greg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Why do I keep logging into the forum and seeing this (screenshot below)? I can come back a little later and it's back to normal. It has been doing this for the last couple of days, but I've never noticed it before.

No Caption Provided

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its just spam. Wait for mods to wake up.

The_Greg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fair enough. On UK time so that makes sense.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By OurSin_360

They're probably korean spam bots, not sure what but they need to do something as they not only flood the recent posts with spam but old posts they bump. This hides all the actual recent posts from ths front page even after the spam is deleted.

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

Hopefully they can get some IP Blocks going or something. It's been going on for a few days now with a new user each time. It's making it almost impossible to browse the general forum. the_greg for now, you can just pick a specific forum you want to browse since it looks like the spam floods one particular game/section.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Couple suggestions

Time Limit between threads started by accounts under a certain lifespan, maybe a week or a month.

higher post count before starting a thread.

Thread review for new posters before it gets added to the site

I've seen those implemented to good effect on boards back in the day, not sure how much has changed since then though.

psykhophear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 142

Glad I'm not the only to notice it. I would make jokes about some dude living in the North side of Korea but I think I'll let it pass.

Mods and Admins, get to work!

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rory mentioned on their Murder Island stream that the Korean bots run rampant during the night. So they are aware of it.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#9  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

Yeah, engineers are working on tuning the spam detection. At the moment that means spam stays a little longer on the boards because we try not to manually delete stuff, but train the spam filter to figure things out and take care of it.

On that note, the spam bots are bumping a lot of old threads, so if you see something with the last post 6 years ago, please refrain from making any further posts in there, just let them drop back down to page 2.

bunghole69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are these posts bumping old threads, then getting deleted as well? Most of the recently active threads are old?

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#12 fisk0  Moderator

@bunghole69: Yeah, there's an issue where even after the posts have been deleted the threads remain bumped, so there's a lot of 8 year old stuff on the first few pages of the forums right now.

fledeye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It’s 11:20 in the UK and I’ve had to go to page 10 of the forums to actually get to new posts made by non-Korean spambots.

Hope it gets sorted soon, it’s making the forums unusable in Europe.

StrawHat_NPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I thought new accounts couldn't post on the forums? Or is that the wiki?

The_Greg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a shame and a little annoying because active conversations are getting swamped whilst the dead ones are getting pulled back up to the top.

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@fledeye said:

It’s 11:20 in the UK and I’ve had to go to page 10 of the forums to actually get to new posts made by non-Korean spambots.

Yeah, a few mods outside of the US would maybe be appropriate until a technical solution can be found.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

The mods and engineers agree that this sucks and is a big problem.

We're trying to stay on top of it and the engineers are working on improving automated detection and addressing issues like old threads staying bumped after the spam posts are deleted.

cliffordbanes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Maybe it's a difficult or time consuming feature to implement but couldn't you hellban / shadowban threads with korean letters by default?

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 thatpinguino  Staff

@cliffordbanes: Trust us, if it seems like an obvious or extreme solution the developers have already thought of/tried it.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By mike

@gkhan said:
@fledeye said:

Yeah, a few mods outside of the US would maybe be appropriate until a technical solution can be found.

People keep saying "Get non-US moderators" but we have plenty of them. This is not somehow a moderation failure, it is an engineering problem. We could double the amount of moderators and still not have enough people even if they were all continually refreshing the forums looking for spam. Trust me everyone, if this was as easy as "Just get UK mods" the problem would have been solved years ago.